Irwin R. Schyster

The Brain

King Of The Ring
Time for another thread about a random old school wrestler. Today’s wrestler, Irwin R. Schyster otherwise known as IRS. You can feel free to discuss Mike Rotunda, Michael Wallstreet, or VK Wallstreet if you like, but I’m going to talk about Irwin R. Schyster. You know the routine. I give a history lesson and ask about your general thoughts. Let’s get to it.

Irwin R. Schyster entered the WWF in 1991 shortly after WrestleMania VII. He seemed to have a pretty lame gimmick. He was a wrestling accountant that worked for the IRS (pretty coincidental considering his initials, right?) and was in the WWF to expose the wrestlers that cheated on their taxes. It was a gimmick that seemed destined to fail. Gimmicks like this usually last a few months, the joke gets old quickly, and the wrestler is either repackaged or fades away. That was not the case with IRS. Mike Rotunda was a very talented performer and he made the IRS gimmick work. He was IRS for four years and was a successful mid card and tag team wrestler during his time in the WWF.

Irwin first established himself by going over aging veterans like Jimmy Snuka and Greg Valentine before entering into a feud with The Big Boss Man in the fall. He and Boss Man captained opposing teams at the Survivor Series. Early in 1992 IRS formed a partnership with Ted Dibiase and the pair quickly won the tag team titles from The Legion of Doom with the help of new manager Jimmy Hart. It turned out Jimmy Hart took a payoff from IRS and Dibiase (now calling themselves Money Incorporated) to take the title shot that The Natural Disasters had earned. This did not sit well with the Disasters as they parted ways with Hart and became number one contenders to Money Inc’s titles. The teams faced off at WrestleMania VIII and while Money Inc didn’t look like champions taking a voluntary count out loss they did leave the Hoosier Dome with the titles. Money Inc eventually dropped the titles to the Disasters during an overseas tour in the summer before losing to The Legion of Doom at SummerSlam. In the fall Money Inc regained the tag titles from the Disasters but in a case of déjà vu another Jimmy Hart team, The Nasty Boys, were not happy that Hart was overlooking them in favor of the team with the money.

Money Inc feuded with The Nasty Boys in late 1992/early 1993 before entering a major angle going into WrestleMania IX. The popular Brutus Beefcake was returning to the WWF after being out of action for nearly three years. In his first match back Beefcake took on Ted Dibiase. During the match IRS brutally attacked Beefcake by repeatedly smashing his briefcase into Beefcake’s surgically repaired face. This prompted Hulk Hogan to return from his year long absence to team up with his friend and challenge for Money Inc’s tag titles at WrestleMania. I’d say it speaks pretty highly of IRS that he was chosen to take part in the angle that brought Hulk Hogan back to WrestleMania. Money Inc was able to overcome the odds and defeat Hogan and Beefcake at mania, albeit by disqualification. Throughout the spring and summer of 1993 Money Inc would trade the titles back and forth with The Steiner Brothers with the Steiners eventually winning the feud. Shortly after, Money Inc split up and Ted Dibiase left the WWF after SummerSlam 93.

Dibiase was the bigger name in Money Inc but IRS benefited from the partnership and was viewed as an equal. Some wondered how the gimmicky IRS would fare without the more established Million Dollar Man by his side. It turned out IRS did just fine on his own. He still had the accountant gimmick and wrestled in the tie and suspenders but after two years IRS had established himself as a legit competitor in the WWF. Throughout the rest of his career he feuded with Razor Ramon over the IC title, Tatanka, and even The Undertaker before leaving the WWF in the summer of 1995. IRS wasn’t ever going to be a main event guy but I think he did a great job overcoming the gimmick he was given by making it his own and letting his talent shine through.

You may not have ever thought much about IRS as a performer but think about his gimmick. An IRS accountant that wrestled in a tie and suspenders and was looking for wrestlers that cheated on their taxes. That has six month low card wrestler written all over it and Mike Rotunda turned it into a four year success. Ted Dibiase gets a lot of love here but we hardly ever hear about IRS. They were partners for a year and a half and the top team during that time. I don’t have a specific question. Just give me your general thoughts on IRS and how Mike Rotunda did with the gimmick.

When I was a kid I thought it was one of the stupidest things I had ever seen. An accountant wrestling? Dumb.

Then when I started getting older I it went from stupid to funny to me. I would go back and watch old events and when he would be in the ring talking and getting all the boo's I liked it. He was annoying and got the crowd riled up.

He was a solid wrestler saddled with a terrible gimmick but he made it work. I think he's definitely underrated for how he handled that character. Usually when people talk about him (which honestly isn't very often) they talk about how good he was with the Varsity Club.

I.R.S. became my favorite gimmick of his. I also think the pairing of him with Ted Dibiase made a lot of sense. It was nice that they got to win the belts and have some good feuds.

To be honest his gimmick never struck me as bad, I thought he looked like a slick hood and a shady tax man was a pretty good villain in those days when gimmicks were very much painted in broad strokes.

I think what made it work is that he was booked a stoic and aggressive in the ring which allowed him to showcase his skills, plus he got mic time and was condescending as he spoke with a sneering attitude to the fans. Now fair play to Rotunda, he took the chances given with the character, but I think how WWE approached it set him up to succeed with it.

How I personally remember him as singles wrestler is his match with Greg Valentine at Summerslam 91 and his feud with Razor over the IC title in late 93/early 94. The first was when I found myself enjoying him as a wrestler, the latter was a solid IC title feud that I felt helped establish Razor as a face.

My favourtie part of his career though was as part of Money Inc, I think it's fair to say he came off as Dibiase's equal and that they complimented each other extremely well, two classic heels that looked down on the less fortunate and were excellent technicians in the ring, the kind of heels you love to hate and who delivered good matches every time you saw them, one of WWF's best teams of the 90's IMO. My one regret is their match with the LOD at Summerslam 92 was not for the titles as I felt that feud deserved a big PPV title match finale.

The first thing I noticed as a kid was his last name. Schyster. Sounds like someone is asking in German "Scheisst er?" which translates to "Is he taking a shit?" ... Big HA HA-moment for an 11 year old... :rolleyes:

Once that got old, though, I took note of the fact that he didn't have his own ring music. (For the longest time I couldn't hear those typewriter sounds because the horrible dubbing by the German commentators was too overpowering. So I guess technically he did have an entrance "music," the second worst after the Right to Censor, that is.) The lack of a decent entrance music tipped me off that this guy was not a force to be reckoned with, so I didn't take him seriously at first.

Money Inc. was great. Loved it. I remember actually feeling bad for them because the Natural Disasters seemed so overpowering, I thought no team could ever beat them (I was young, remember?).

On a side note, the weirdest thing happened at a WWF tour in Germany at some point after Summerslam '92. At some point in the middle of the card they had WWF champion Ric Flair defend the title against Macho Man Randy Savage in a rematch from only a couple of weeks earlier. Whereas the main event of the night saw the Natural Disasters defend the tag team titles against Money Inc. Huh?
Looking back I know they wanted to end the show on a high note with the babyfaces winning, but back then it struck 12-year old me as totally weird. Talk about anticlimatic...

So when Money Inc. finally did win back the tag titles I was overjoyed and thought it was a very believeable match. The story was that when Earthquake fell out the ring he hit his head on the railing and then, in a long, drawn out process, Dibiase and IRS slowly choked Earthquake out and he never managed to make that much needed hot tag that happens in almost 100% of cases. When Quake's arm fell for the third time I literally got goosebumps. I knew wrestling was fake but that one had me almost convinced otherwise (again, I was 12).

That was the highlight of my IRS memories. I remember later on rooting for him when he feuded with Razor Ramon for the IC title (I guess I always gravitated to the heels) and felt that he got screwed when he was declared the winner but then the match got restarted because IRS had cheated or someone had interfered or something (seriously, how often had similar things happened with no one bothering to restart the match? It was so random!!!).

His losing effort is the last in-ring memory I have of Rotunda. That is until he returned in an oldtimer battle royal at some RAW anniversary and actually won the damn thing (before selling the win to Ted Debiase, of course). I marked out big time at that.

Overall, I remember him fondly, but he was never meant to rise above the mid card (except for when they toured in Germany in which case he outranked the likes of Randy Savage and Ric Flair, apparently).

I miss the days when wrestlers had jobs on the side. IRS wasn't around for that long, so I can only assume doing tax returns is a more profitable profession than wrestling.

It was a good gimmick for Rotunda. He's a dull wrestler and nobody anywhere has ever met an interesting tax man.

Never sure why he teamed Dibiase though. Surely he'd frown at the Million $ Man's expenditures.

I enjoyed IRS as a kid and I still enjoy the character now. I even preferred him over Tatanka in their feud over a headdress I think it was. I was slightly disappointed when I went to an autograph signing for IRS only to find out Tatanka was sent as a sub. I didn't dislike him. I just liked IRS more. It was a silly gimmick on paper, but Rotundo made it work. I remember when IRS did his first house-show tour against Snuka. They televised the MSG event. IRS wrestled in the familiar shirt and tie, but instead of pants he wore long, ugly, black and brown wrestling tights.

As good as Rotundo was with the character, and being good presented him with opportunities, good timing and decision making helped give the character some legs. Dibiase needed something to do and forming the team of Money Inc. was a stroke of brilliance that raised the status of IRS and significantly extended his shelf life. It also shows how useful it could be to have a strong, well developed tag team division.

It was fine for a midcard gimmick and that's all it was. Rotunda is a good technical wrestler but he's not the most interesting guy in the world. The solution of course is to make him a character as boring as you can ask for and the results worked pretty well. There were always stories to spin off from the character, he got on the fans' nerves and his matches were fine for what they were. It's much better than just having Mike Rotunda: guy in trunks.

2 things about the gimmick stand out for me... the timing was wrong by about 2 years. Had it debuted in 88-89, when Wall Street, "Greed Is Good" and business was booming then he would have been perhaps THE TOP heel behind DiBiase. Imagine a Randy Savage or Hulk being "audited" as the world knew they were making millions... By late 91 things were slumping in America and the World in general so some of that heat inherent in the gimmick was gone.

The 2nd thing was it wasn't a gimmick that only one guy could pull off. Sure Rotunda had it in WCW in late 1990, but I see no reason Terry Taylor, Shane Douglas or even Steve Keirn couldn't have done this instead in the period I mentioned - Taylor in particular had a great look for it and perhaps would have done more with it while it would have been hot and Captain Mike ruled the waves and he was wasting time as the Red Rooster.

Rotunda as IRS didn't take off for the reasons mentioned above and that he came in at the tail end of a major roster shift, a year earlier and he is part of that group with Bret, Bulldog and Perfect moving up the roster in quicktime. He caught the back end of that wave and the pool of initial guys to put him over was shallower as those who had been used up on Bret, Bulldog, Perfect and The Mountie were now gone and now they were on C list guys - his first PPV win was over Greg Valentine, a guy not what he was and not someone who lended much gravitas to IRS putting him over as he was clearly on the outs and hadn't been relevant in 2 years. You could just tell this was a gimmick they'd wanted to do for a while, then when he started using it in WCW they just signed him with it.

What he did do well though was adapt to life as a midcarder after that initial disappointment. I see him like Wade Barrett today, was probably brought in to do more but is a good hand and well liked enough that he can almost "coast" by being the best of the midcard. The character did click when he teamed with Ted DiBiase, but it just makes me think again why was he not there during the MegaBucks saga?

That was the time for the character and DiBiase to meet and click, sure he might not have been part of that match but just as Bob Orton wasn't "wrestling" at Wrestlemania I he is remembered as a major part.

I seem to remember there being heat on him going back to Windham leaving during the US Express run - Rotunda stayed on for a bit but was jobbed out pretty badly teaming with Zenk. Had he stuck it ala Triple H then the character might still have come round for him by 88 and IRS could be a whole different legend.

As a whole though he's a fun heel of the past that I certainly don't mind seeing every now and then... I marked out too when he sold the Battle Royale win to DiBiase, obvious but fun and anyone who can boast 2 sons in the WWE has a lot to be proud of.

The thing I always remembered about Rotunda/IRS was the guy could go in the ring, and that's really what got the guy over in my eyes. Pairing him with DiBiase was perfect because both of them were tremendous technical wrestlers. DiBiase also made up for IRS' average promo skills. Basically, I always liked Rotunda. I think every wrestling promotion needs guys with his skills; the kind of guy that you can always throw into a match or situation and expect him to put forth a solid effort.

I really like Rotunda and I really hate IRS.

This was the era of stupidity for the WWF, where wrestlers weren't wrestlers, they were either evil or noble people from other areas of the world transported into the wrestling dimension. Gator hunters, tax collectors, repo men, clowns, etc.

Just flat out stupid and IRS is right near the top.

Even as a kid, I liked the gimmick. It'd never work today, there's no question about that, but IRS fit in just fine with where wrestling was in those days. There's never been a shortage of gimmicks that are generally exaggerated, even cartoonish, stereotypes. IRS was, essentially, an ultraconservative tight ass bureaucrat with no real personality, which is the ultimate stereotype that people had in those days for a tax agent. It worked out nicely for Mike Rotunda himself as he wasn't exactly the most charismatic and personality loaded guy to ever come along. He didn't have to be charismatic for this character to get heat, he just had to act like an uptight dick and it worked.

For a mid-card gimmick, IRS worked well at the time. It wasn't a main event level gimmick because Rotunda, as technically sound as he was, wasn't a main event level wrestler. He'd spent his entire pro wrestling career prior to that as a mid-card & tag team wrester in Florida and Crockett Promotions/WCW and was a bigger star as IRS.
For a mid-card gimmick, Irwin R. Schyster was perfectly fine and it was very much on the level that Rotunda was throughout his career.

He and Boss Man captained opposing teams at the Survivor Series.

That's a bit of a stretch as those two were not billed as "captains" of their teams at all. The billed captains were Macho Man and Jake Roberts,.. although Macho Man was actually a sub for Sid Justice, who had been the original captain for about a week.

When Macho and Jake opted to go for their one-on-one This Tuesday in Texas match, then it was just billed as a 6-man elimination tag, with no captain.

Also, in a minor footnote, in the summer of 1991, IRS began cutting promos against "Rowdy" Roddy Piper, simply saying that Piper was a tax cheat. It had no real rhyme of reason and, as far as I know, nothing ever became of it.

For my thought on the gimmick: the thought of a wrestling accountant was a decent one and primed for instant heat. But I think the character went too far and made it unbelievable. My issue was with the name "IRS", which seemed like something from the mind of David McLane (GLOW and WOW). I would've preferred a little more creativity in the name.

My second issue was with the wrestling attire. I remember Piper goofing on it during some early IRS matches, while others would question why you wouldn't pull the tie. Schyster actually wore some form-fitting tights, early on-- with the shirt, suspenders and tie up top. It lasted maybe one of two tapings, as he looked ridiculous and went back to the slacks.

I always thought the IRS gimmick was dumb, even considering that WWE was really kid friendly, Disney-like programming at the time. Not long after this Vince McMahon gave us Skinner & Repo Man, just prior he gave us Terry 'Red Rooster' Taylor. A dark time indeed.

Rotunda had been in the business for a decade by then, he had main evented with Ric Flair, already had a previous run in WWE that included a tag title win with Barry Whyndam, this guy had been around the block before he was given the IRS gimmick, and he knew how to work crowds and get over with fans. He had already survived the varsity wrestling gimmick in NWA and managed to get that (and a young Rick Steiner) over. Rotunda was a consumate pro.

He deserves credit for making a ridiculous gimmick legit, and being able to be taken seriously by fans. Many all time greats have had at least one moment they didnt care for or shouldnt have been asked to do but they manage to get stories over and make them popular with fans regardless. Steve Austin at times was hillarious during his heel turn and alliance with Vince, Ric Flair managed to score with a ridiculous heart attack angle and being in a sanitarium, Taker got over the lunacy of The Ministry of The Darkness and the relative bland American Bad Ass gimmicks. Rotunda may not have achieved the same heights in the industry as those guys but he was very good at making the weak and/or unbelievable credible.

Strictly within the IRS character I think his best work was either vs Ramoan or in the Money Inc team with Ted DiBiase. Overall I enjoyed him most, at least from a wrestling standpoint, when he was in Florida in 1986 and wrestled Flair, great matches. Pros like him are necessary for a promotions success

Even as a kid I thought IRS made such a great heel. I was familiar with him in WCW, and I always wondered why wrestlers would debut in WWE completely changed. When I was a kid I just wished they would have kept the same character, but in the case of IRS he made a perfect heel. The tax man that wrestled in his dress clothes, and did promos about the other wrestlers and us paying their taxes. He was good in the ring, and made such a natural pairing with the Million Dollar Man. I always thought IRS would capture the IC belt, but while I believe he got close he never actually won the title. I enjoyed his tag title run with The Million Dollar Man a lot, and if given more time could have been one of the better teams of all time. So while it seemed like a silly gimmick I think IRS worked very well at the time.

That's a bit of a stretch as those two were not billed as "captains" of their teams at all. The billed captains were Macho Man and Jake Roberts,.. although Macho Man was actually a sub for Sid Justice, who had been the original captain for about a week.

When Macho and Jake opted to go for their one-on-one This Tuesday in Texas match, then it was just billed as a 6-man elimination tag, with no captain.

Also, in a minor footnote, in the summer of 1991, IRS began cutting promos against "Rowdy" Roddy Piper, simply saying that Piper was a tax cheat. It had no real rhyme of reason and, as far as I know, nothing ever became of it.

For my thought on the gimmick: the thought of a wrestling accountant was a decent one and primed for instant heat. But I think the character went too far and made it unbelievable. My issue was with the name "IRS", which seemed like something from the mind of David McLane (GLOW and WOW). I would've preferred a little more creativity in the name.

My second issue was with the wrestling attire. I remember Piper goofing on it during some early IRS matches, while others would question why you wouldn't pull the tie. Schyster actually wore some form-fitting tights, early on-- with the shirt, suspenders and tie up top. It lasted maybe one of two tapings, as he looked ridiculous and went back to the slacks.

It's a little pedantic on the Survior Match, Bossman and IRS were easily the captains in terms of experience and push in the match and never will understand their logic in removing Savage v Jake from PPV.

As I remember Piper was due to return from injury for Summerslam and work with IRS as an extension of the Virgil/DiBiase feud (remember his crutches from Mania?) to debut IRS strong. I think even a tag match with the Million Dollar belt at stake was an option but his recovery was slightly delayed and by then the deal to sign Flair was in the offing. With their history it made more sense to use Piper as Flair's first opponent. I think their Survivor match was Roddy's first match back. They moved Greg Valentine into the IRS feud and held off on the DiBiase connection as Valentine was on the outs and was a better matchup to show IRS off as a technical whiz.

I will always be a Windham and Rotundo fan. I was filthy when Windham left the company in 1985 to return to Florida, the bringing in Spivey to make us think that they were pretty much the same guy. Rotundo was a solid wrestler and could easily have been pushed instead of Corporal Kirchner as an American patriot once Slaughter left WWF in the mid 80s.
His return as IRS though was awesome as today this is whom he is remembered as the most. Even when as a road agent and pops up on tv, he is referred to alot as IRS. Why he isnt in the Hall of Fame yet is a mystery, huge wrestling family and maybe, just maybe could be brought in to a Wyatt family or Bo Dallas storyline down the track./

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back