• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Interesting WWE Trademark Application

ECW Sandman

Getting Noticed By Management
So we all know WWE Try's to trademark anything and everything and I think they out did themselves this time they have trademarked Future endeavored, Future endeavor and Mr. Future Endeavor so my question is do you think it is right or is just down right stupid for WWE to Trademark the Future Endeavor, Future Endeavored and Mr. Future Endeavor names.

Do you believe "Mr. Future Endeavored" will be a character used on WWE Television? If so, who will play that character? Explain.

I argree trademarking everything is out right dumb.

Last i heard though they were trying to trade mark the name "CM Punk" but Punk wouldnt allow it. Hopefully he still hasnt.

lol why is it stupid? It's stupid NOT TO. What do you do for a living? Flip burgers? Anyone with half a brain can tell it's good business sense to milk out every last item you push.

I like it, it sounds like they might be getting ready for a new angle or wrestler. Sounds fun. Maybe a new GM character? Who knows, I'm interested.

lol dumb to trademark things. Yea, because making money is stupid. Have any idea how hypocritical it is to say "stupid WWE wanting to trademark everything" "good CM Punk didn't let them trademark him" EITHER WAY the person wanting the trademark is doing it for money. CM Punk wouldn't be as big of a star without WWE, the CM Punk name wouldn't exist without Punk, they're both the reason it's huge. WWE trademarks things because they're smart and want to make money. You can't have a double standard just because one is a billion dollar company and the other is a million dollar wrestler.

I think its pretty smart and could potentioally lead to some sort of angle/re-debut of a preoviously 'future endevored' superstar.. Maybe Chris Masters?? He did crash the Summer slam all axcess event and has been recently Future Endevored. Just a thought after a few pitchers of beer..

When you think of the words "Future Endeavored," what is the first company that pops up in your mind that frequently uses this term? The WWE. How many times have you heard this phrase used outside of the WWE, using it as a joke or within e-federations across the internet? None... so considering this information, the WWE took it upon themselves to trademark a phrase that is not only commonly associated with their brand but because no-one else uses the phrase. Therefore, they have all rights to trademark the phrase in the first place. Now it is an official phrase and can be used to promote their product by declaring that superstars like Chris Masters are "Future Endeavored" WWE Stars.

Anyway, they pretty much coined the phrase, so what's wrong with owning it?

WWE.com mixed with some internet fansites, this one included made a big point of future endeavors.

Anyways - Trademarking things before they popularize is strong business sense, it means we're probably going to see or hear the term much more often than before. Good or bad? who knows, maybe we'll see some interesting story pop up from a future endeavor waiting to happen.

Worst that comes out of this, WWE blew a few pennies on the chance the phrase gets popular.

the last one caught my eye. i think that a recently released superstar will come back as mr future endevored. probably masters since he has been most vocal. maybe this was the push they planned for him. he could probably join in with cm punk. not saying its him, but the wwe chose to trademark that name for a reason.

Wow, seriously guys, the first company that pops into your mind when you hear "future endeavor" is the WWE? The teram "future endeavor" is commonly used in the business world or in press releases all the time. The WWE didn't coin it, nor were they the ones who used it first.

That being said, it is a stupid idea. Though "Mr. Future Endeavor" could work

They're definitely for Johnny Ace. Who else would it be? CM Punk exposed him live on RAW as the man behind all the talent releases and literary said something like "Hey kid best of luck in your future endeavors" while imitating Johnny Ace firing Chris Masters. It has to be him and I think it actually sounds pretty good.

This could be a good gimmick. He can kayfabe fire people like crew members for fucking up on the show. personally I like it. And I can't wait to see where they go with these trademarks.

Wow, seriously guys, the first company that pops into your mind when you hear "future endeavor" is the WWE? The teram "future endeavor" is commonly used in the business world or in press releases all the time. The WWE didn't coin it, nor were they the ones who used it first.

That being said, it is a stupid idea. Though "Mr. Future Endeavor" could work
Why is it a stupid idea? Who cares that other places use it, WWE has trademarked it, which, BTW, means for media. It's not like when you get fired at some point and your boss says "best of luck in your future endeavors" you go "AHA I'M GONNA SUE YOU". What the hell are you thinking? Trademarks don't cost very much and WWE will probably make a profit off of it.

the last one caught my eye. i think that a recently released superstar will come back as mr future endevored. probably masters since he has been most vocal. maybe this was the push they planned for him. he could probably join in with cm punk. not saying its him, but the wwe chose to trademark that name for a reason.

Now that is an interesting idea. Masters has been quite outspoken at his shock of being released, trashed some WWE wrestlers publicly and shown up to some WWE events uninvited like the Axxess visit.

When you add that to the rumours of him getting a big push in the future, well this whole thing could be something.

Or it's Johnny Ace. Which is less interesting but would also make sense.

as i know cm punk was not trademark of wwe till 17th july, i dont know whats the status right now,but i guess cm punk is now SHARED trademark of cm punk and wwe, its not EXCLUSIVELY bounded with wwe..

US Patent and Trademark Office has 2 trademarks registered for CM Punk; one for merchandise purposes since June 22, 2011 (which quite possibly means that the contract was signed and sealed before MITB), and the other is for "entertainment purposes" (ie. namely, wrestling exhibitions and performances by a professional wrestler and entertainer; providing wrestling news and information via a global computer network. - from uspto.gov website) that was initally filed on March 28, 2007, but was not officially registered until August 11, 2009.

It also notes that the "entertainment purposes" trademark has:

The name "CM Punk" identifies Phillip Jack Brooks, a living individual whose consent is of record.

Hope that settles the argument.

as i know cm punk was not trademark of wwe till 17th july, i dont know whats the status right now,but i guess cm punk is now SHARED trademark of cm punk and wwe, its not EXCLUSIVELY bounded with wwe..

WWE dont/didnt own the name CM Punk at least before he signed his new contract. Unless im very much mistaken

And... Both of you are wrong. If you're one of those people who believes everything WrestleZone "exclusively" report I can't say I blame you, though. (well, I guess I should blame you for believing WrestleZone's "exclusivities", but let's move on)

So there you go, straight from the United States Patent and Trademark Office website:

Word Mark CM PUNK
Goods and Services IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Entertainment services, namely, wrestling exhibitions and performances by a professional wrestler and entertainer; providing wrestling news and information via a global computer network. FIRST USE: 20060624. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20060624
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Trademark Search Facility Classification Code LETS-2 CM Two letters or combinations of multiples of two letters
Serial Number 77142597
Filing Date March 28, 2007
Current Filing Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1B
Published for Opposition September 9, 2008
Registration Number 3667156
Registration Date August 11, 2009
Owner (REGISTRANT) World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. CORPORATION DELAWARE 1241 East Main Street Stamford CONNECTICUT 06902
Attorney of Record Lauren A. Dienes-Middlen
Type of Mark SERVICE MARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Other Data The name "CM Punk" identifies Phillip Jack Brooks, a living individual whose consent is of record.
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

No need to thank me.

They may as well trademark "Future Endeavoured", as everyone associates it with WWE, and its just something else TNA can't use.

Knowing how TNA work, they would more than likely try to use this phrase to describe a recently signed ex-WWE talent, and WWE owning the trademark just stops them from using it.

Thinking about the "Mr Future Endeavour" trademark, does anyone else think this could become the nickname for Johnny Ace, as he is the guy that has to make the call to let all wrestlers know they they are being released. He could be an onscreen heel and always go on about how he can fire and cancel the contracts of any wrestler he chooses, earning him the nickname "Mr Future Endeavour".

Crap nickname though, for whoever uses it!

And... Both of you are wrong. If you're one of those people who believes everything WrestleZone "exclusively" report I can't say I blame you, though. (well, I guess I should blame you for believing WrestleZone's "exclusivities", but let's move on)

So there you go, straight from the United States Patent and Trademark Office website:

Word Mark CM PUNK
Goods and Services IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Entertainment services, namely, wrestling exhibitions and performances by a professional wrestler and entertainer; providing wrestling news and information via a global computer network. FIRST USE: 20060624. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20060624
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Trademark Search Facility Classification Code LETS-2 CM Two letters or combinations of multiples of two letters
Serial Number 77142597
Filing Date March 28, 2007
Current Filing Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1B
Published for Opposition September 9, 2008
Registration Number 3667156
Registration Date August 11, 2009
Owner (REGISTRANT) World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. CORPORATION DELAWARE 1241 East Main Street Stamford CONNECTICUT 06902
Attorney of Record Lauren A. Dienes-Middlen
Type of Mark SERVICE MARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Other Data The name "CM Punk" identifies Phillip Jack Brooks, a living individual whose consent is of record.
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

No need to thank me.
lol pwnd by the real world. I love it when people do this. Lesson number 1, never believe dirtsheets unless it's a live spoiler result of shit that actually happened in an arena in front of 10,000 people.

I lot of people don't realize just how much stuff you can look up. Think WWE is doing poorly? Look at their actual balance sheet and find out.

I'm guessing the new trademarks only say that WWE has registered them but not that it identifies anyone.

It's brilliant.

Gene Simmons from KISS trademarked everything under the sun, including the term OJ, and is making a fortune from it.

I could have easily trademarked all of those sayings and they would have had to pay me royalties every time they used the term, or change the term altogether. And lets face it, everyone, including the WWE scriptwriters, are using "future endeavored."

While it is funny, it makes great business sense. Sometimes I wish I could go back in time and sign up for all these accounts that businesses are using. Imagine owning WWF.com or WWE.com before the company went to the internet? I would have made a fortune.

It's not stupid for the WWE to have done this. From a business point of view it is obviously savvy. Like people have said it will probably be used in an up and coming angle as a superstar nickname, phrase or something along those lines which makes the whole trademark thing make even more sense.

I'm a little bit excited to be honest, I think there could be a Future Endeavoured stable with the leader being Mr Future Endeavour. I'm guessing that Mr Future Endeavour will be Masters because he's been Future Endeavoured more than once. It could be fun to watch they could feud with top stars saying that they are more talented yet they get Future Endeavoured and the other guy gets World Titles. But it may just be nothing and just trade marked them because it makes money.

Although these terms could be used to describe Johnny Ace (especially "Mr. Future Endeavor"), I thought of something else that I don't believe anyone has mentioned in this thread yet. Now...this is an absolute long-shot , and even I don't believe this was why the WWE decided to trademark these "names"...but what if the WWE is going to create a new "concept match", similar to TNA's old "Feast or Fired" match? Again, I believe this is an EXTREMELY unlikely scenario...but anything is possible, and it's just the first thing that popped into my head upon seeing the term "Mr. Future Endeavor".

What if the WWE decides to create a match where there are three briefcases involved (similar to TNA's "Feast or Fired" match)? I know that TNA's "Feast or Fired" match had four briefcases involved...but for this concept to work in the way I'm about to describe, the WWE would use only three cases. The three briefcases would be suspended above the ring (similar to Money in the Bank, or Feast or Fired), and the contents of the briefcases would be random (just like TNA's FoF match).

The hypothetical match I'm speculating about would have to replace the WWE's current "Money in the Bank" format (which is the exact reason that this idea is so unlikely). In this theoretical match, there would be three "winners" (three Superstars grabbing briefcases, not knowing what each case contained -- because the contents of the cases would be random). The contents of the briefcases would be "Mr. Money in the Bank: Raw" (a shot at the WWE Championship), "Mr. Money in the Bank: Smackdown!" (a shot at the WWE World Heavyweight Title), and "Mr. Future Endeavor" ("winner" of this case would be "Future-Endeavored" / Fired). Again, I know this idea is waaaaay out of the realm of possibility/probability, so please don't jump down my throat about this. I'm just throwing this out there as a "what if?" scenario.

Obviously the way this match would work is that the "winners" of these three cases would open them after the match (similar to how the Feast or Fired cases were opened in TNA), and their contents revealed. One superstar's case would contain a WWE Championship shot, the next would contain a shot at the WWE World Heavyweight Championship, and the holder of the last case would be "Future Endeavored" (aka: fired from the WWE, or fired from their show...ie: if it's a Raw Superstar, they go to Smackdown, or vice versa...or maybe they're just gone from the WWE all together).

Again, I know that this idea is ridiculously far-fetched. If the WWE created a new "Money in the Bank" concept match such as this, it would have to replace their current MitB format (which has been proven to draw, and work wonders for the MitB briefcase winners in the past). I guess for an idea like this to work, the Money in the Bank PPV would have to make this "new concept for MitB" the very last match on the card (instead of having two Money in the Bank ladder matches, like the PPV has had in the past). I guess an idea like this would make the Money in the Bank PPV more similar to the Royal Rumble, where the "winners" of the three supposed briefcases would either be awarded a shot at one of the two WWE World Titles, or they would be "Future Endeavored". Like I said, this idea is a bit "crazy" (and HIGHLY unlikely)...but like I said before, this was just the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the term "Mr. Future Endeavor".

I agree with the majority of posts in this thread, that the trademarked name of "Mr. Future Endeavor" is probably going to refer to John Laurinaitis. If CM Punk hasn't already referred to Johnny Ace as "Mr. Future Endeavor" (I don't think he has, yet), then Punk will probably call Mr. Laurinaitis this term in the future. If this is the case (and it seems that this has the best probability of being accurate), then the WWE is just trying to cover all their bases before the name (or names) is (or are) used on television. They wouldn't want another company to come up with a concept like the one I described above, and they also wouldn't want another company using the terms "Future Endeavored", "Mr. Future Endeavor", etc...

I know that the possibility of the WWE changing their MitB PPV concept by creating their own version of TNA's Feast or Fired isn't a "rational" option here, but it's possible...right? I mean, come on...if the WWE was going to create a match like this, then the term "Mr. Future Endeavor" would be perfect for the "fired" Superstar...would it not?

Like I said earlier, I agree with previous posters that all of these terms are most likely just going to be nicknames for John Laurinaitis (or possibly HHH). I don't really believe that the WWE is going to create a brand new format for their MitB PPV, just because they trademarked a few "strange" phrases...but you have to admit that a new WWE "concept match" (such as the one I described earlier in this post) isn't completely out of the realm of possibility. It's just not a very likely scenario, that's all. Like I said, that was just the first idea that popped into my head when I saw the term "Mr. Future Endeavor". As it's been stated earlier in this thread (by several different posters), these terms are probably going to be used as a nickname for Johnny Ace, or possibly even Triple H.

It's most likely that HHH will use Mr. Laurinaitis to do his "dirty work" for him in the future, by having Laurinaitis fire WWE employees for him. This way, HHH won't be the one who directly fires anyone. I believe that this is an easy way for Laurinaitis to start being called "Mr. Future Endeavor" on WWE television.

The whole "Future Endeavored" could be for a wrestler or a group of wrestlers. Similar to the "Job Squad" years ago. Also isn't Future Endeavers is a internet wrestling show in the same range as Wrestlezone.

CM Punk is trademarked for certain rights. He still has a certain degree of ownership over the name and name usage though. Example is if he were to leave WWE next week he'd still be allowed to use the name, no matter what WWE has trademarked as he's the sole creator of it.

"Future Endeavoured" sounds more like a name for a finishing manuever than anything else to me. It's a term coined by WWE anyway so I see little problem with it. The possibility of it being a faction of formerly released talents sends a shiver down my spine; but the possibility of the nickname and its link to a Chris Masters return gives me hope they've came to their senses.

Laurinitas using it in any context wouldn't make sense; what kind of nickname is "Mr. Future Endeavor"? The only way I can see them going about that is if say CM Punk mocks him and labels him "Mr. Future Endeavor" and the WWE continue it as a running gag but them trademarking that before it happens isn't the norm.

"Future Endeavoured" sounds more like a name for a finishing manuever than anything else to me. It's a term coined by WWE anyway so I see little problem with it. The possibility of it being a faction of formerly released talents sends a shiver down my spine; but the possibility of the nickname and its link to a Chris Masters return gives me hope they've came to their senses.
This actually seems like a likely possibility. "Future Endeavored" would be an awesome title for a finishing move, is it possible that we see CM Punk debut a new finisher soon? That would be sweet.

I agree with you, that a stable of "future endeavored" wrestlers (ie: Masters, Kozlov, DH Smith, etc) would be EXTREMELY lame...but I wouldn't mind seeing Masters come back, at the very least. My hope is that he'll "cross the line" in the near-future (90 days?), but this could be a total swerve -- just like we saw last year, with Daniel Bryan. My god, though...a stable composed of wrestlers who were all "future-endeavored" but brought back (only to create this new stable) sounds soooooo lame.

I doubt this is something even the WWE would do, maybe they're just covering their bases so these guys couldn't all go to TNA together -- and form a stable there, with "future endeavored" being part of the stable's name. A bit of a long shot, yes...but stranger things have happened. These terms being trademarked by the WWE still couldn't stop TNA from bringing all these guys into their company (at the same time) as a stable, but at least they wouldn't be able to use the term "future endeavored" in any way, shape or form. They could just as easily use a name like "The Radicalz" did, when those guys (Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit, Perry Saturn & Dean Malenko) jumped from WCW to the WWF in the late-90s.

Laurinitas using it in any context wouldn't make sense; what kind of nickname is "Mr. Future Endeavor"? The only way I can see them going about that is if say CM Punk mocks him and labels him "Mr. Future Endeavor" and the WWE continue it as a running gag but them trademarking that before it happens isn't the norm.

I disagree, as I could see HHH having Laurinaitis do his "dirty work" for him in the future. By "dirty work", I mean that Hunter wouldn't fire any WWE employees/wrestlers directly; he'd have Laurinaitis do it for him. That would be an easy sell (at least to me) for Laurinaitis to earn the nickname "Mr. Future Endeavor". He could get the nickname "backstage" with "the boys" (or Punk could be the first to call Laurinaitis "Mr. Future Endeavor") because Laurinaitis does all the firing of the WWE Employees/wrestlers. Hence, the only job that the wrestlers ever see Laurinaitis do is fire people. That could easily earn him the nickname "Mr. Future Endeavor". Personally, I believe that using this as a nickname for Laurinaitis makes the most sense (at least to me). Again, this is all just personal opinion, and speculation...I could be way off.

CM Punk is trademarked for certain rights. He still has a certain degree of ownership over the name and name usage though. Example is if he were to leave WWE next week he'd still be allowed to use the name, no matter what WWE has trademarked as he's the sole creator of it.

What's your evidence to the CM Punk thing? Usually if an entity owns a trademark, you can't use it elsewhere. Doesn't matter that Punk created it, it's registered under the WWE.

Lots of fun ideas floating around here. Maybe if you're "Mr. Future Endeavor" then you have a briefcase that means you can fire anyone on the roster you want?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back