Interesting Halloween Dilemma

JW'sGirl

Occasional Pre-Show
I read this story in the LA Times today about a lesbian couple whose son wants to trick-or-treat as a princess. They live in a rather conservative area and are afraid that if they let him dress up like that, people will say "that's why lesbians shouldn't be parents," but at the same time they don't want to tell him he can't be whatever he wants.

Here's a link the full article:
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-1022-banks-20111022,0,2618851.column

So here my questions to y'all:

What would you do in this situation?
What do you think they should do?
Do you think they should let the views of their neighbors' make them question their parenting?

Let my child go as whoever the fuck they want to go as. Who cares, it's halloween. It shouldn't matter who or what the parents are. The kid is innocent in a situation like this and the parents shouldn't be bombarded with hated words because they let their kid be who they want. The fact that the neighborhood is full of conservatives would make me care even lesser.

Let him be. If he wants to go as a princess then by all means do it.

Do you think they should let the views of their neighbors' make them question their parenting?
No. If there is one thing I have learned over the years is never let what other's think become what you believe. I'll keep doing my thing whether anyone else likes it or not.

They should do what I would do, and that is don't even let what other people would think influence your decision as a parent one bit. If your kid wants to go as a princess then let your kid go as a damn princess, or what I would do is tell my kid why be a boring old princess when you could go as Natalya? I would be 100 percent supportive of my kid, and if they want to go as a different gender then why the hell not, Halloween is fun holiday and there is no need to be a tight ass and put restrictions on your kids goddamn costumes.
Where ever you go there are going to be people who are going to be people who disagree with your basic beliefs, religious beliefs, political, etc.... The point is why would you let them influence your choice? It should be entirely up to you how your kid dresses up, don't let your neighbors essentially decide what is appropriate and what is not.

Not give a damn about what my neighbors think and let my kid dress up as whatever the hell he wants. Halloween is the one day where it's not only seen as socially acceptable to dress up as whatever you want but encouraged as well. So why should it be a big deal?
The same thing I would.
Absolutely not. Letting their kid dress up as a princess on Halloween of all days influencing what people think about their parenting? That is just absurd. Shame on the neighbors if they do so.

Uh.. why are they bringing attention to it by reporting to the LA Times? The obvious solution is to dress the kid up as he wants, and then let him trick or treat in another neighborhood, if they're really that scared of what their neighbors will think.

This couple obviously just wants some press and is using their kid as a way to get it. That makes them bad parents in my eyes. Letting their son dress as a princess is no big deal, but to bring attention to him doing it on a national scale is simply pathetic. You do that AFTER Halloween, IF your kid was harassed or you were snickered at all night long.

Anyways, to answer the question.... of course the kid should be whatever he wants to be. There are plenty of young boys out there dressing up as serial killers and Satan for Halloween... how in the World is a boy dressing as a princess worse than that? Anyone who doesn't realize that is an idiot, so why even care what idiots think?

I would let my child be whatever they want. A parent should not let the opinion of neighbors who probably think that they know everything about parenting even if it is a non-straight child. However every action has a reaction and I doubt conservative parents would take this siting down.

I would on Halloween let my child go out dressed as a princes. If a person decides to question my kid's appearance then I would mask it with comedy. I would say something like "LOL little (insert name) is wearing this as because he is such a joker". At least that would ensure protection from the inevitable harassment that would follow if such a thing was not masked with comedy.
That is what I think they should do.

Depends if they are experienced in the certain type of child you are parenting. I would definitively listen to other lesbian parents. If these people are criticized then they should just ignore those ignorant people that insult them. A parent should raise their offspring the way they want not the way the community wants them to. It is your life, and your business. Not anyone else's at all.

Ugggghh I fucking hate people so much.

"Omg those people are gay exclude them its weird not natural parents boy lesbians blah blah blah"

Fuck, can it just be like 2050 yet when everyone is fucking over this shit?

Let the boy dress up as whatever the fucking hell he damn well fucking feels like, hello. If thats a princess, the ultimate warrior, a lady bug, or WHATEVER then that is what he dresses up as.

If people have an issue with it because "OMG ITS BECAUSE THEY ARE GAY AND STUFF I BET" I will rip their fucking heart out.

Ugggghh I fucking hate people so much.

Oh, Norkie. That's six times in a single post you used the word "fuck"......in it's various forms. Jeeeeezzz!:icon_confused:

I agree with the message, though. Instead of his parents forbidding him to dress as he wants......which will make the idea even more attractive to him...... let him go as a princess. If his pals, his trick-or-treat buddies, have a problem with it, they'll let him know, and that will probably have more of an effect than anything Mommy could say.

You don't learn just from your parents; you also learn from your environment. It's not always fair, but that's life.

Sally, my friend, how many Norcal posts have you read? This one is tame in comparison!

Anyway, I have several problems with this entire mess. The first is enclosed within the L.A. Times article itself.

All year long, he's been donning princess garb in the dressup room of his preschool. The adults in his life are fine with this. The little girls, however, have a problem with this. "Boys can't be princesses", they tell Luc, designating him a wizard instead.

Ok, fair enough. These girls are two young to understand the ins and outs of sexuality and the meaning of dressing up as a princess, if there is one. They simply are following social cues of what a boy and girl does, and how they dress and behave. They're being normal girls, after all, and they clearly see something they believe to be abnormal.

More from the L.A. Times:
"I want to encourage him to stand up and be himself", Anna said. "But my 4 year old is too young and fragile to know where the social boundaries are. And I don't want his feelings to be hurt on what she be one of his happiest nights."

Hold on a second. Anna freely admits in the last part of the article that girls have been telling him{Luc} about social cues all year long through discouraging him to be a princess. But he wants to be one anyway! Id say he's very aware of social boundaries, if by nothing else but what he's been told over and again. As like the girls, he's likely too young to understand gay and lesbian issues, but there's no doubt he's simply being himself. There's a contradiction here with the parents wanting him to be himself, and failing to see that he's been given very obvious social cues, and is unscathed. Chances are, if he hasn't been hurt by now, he never will be. The problem, in my eyes, lies elsewhere. More from the Times:

My Grandma was horrified when we posted pictures of him on Facebook of Luc in a Tiara and a princess dress in a visit to the dress-up display at the County Fair."

And there it is. I wonder how Grandma reacted to Anna getting married to another woman, and fighting so hard for her rights to live as she chooses. Im guessing not favorably, but she pushed through anyway. With Luc demonstrating the same push-through attitude, and even wearing a princess outfit to a County Fair, I see the problem here. Grandma saw a problem, "early onset gayness", as she called it, and hence the entire issue arose. The same women who fought to be among the first to marry in their state and let their son be himself at a large County Fair with no reported issues are now bowing to Grandma. Could a person be more hypocritical? Luc's feelings aren't going to be hurt if they haven't already, it's the women's pride which is hurt. Because of one woman, Grandma,they're refusing to allow their son to be himself. I find this highly hypocritical and unexcusable.

There are plenty of young boys out there dressing up as serial killers and Satan for Halloween... how in the World is a boy dressing as a princess worse than that? Anyone who doesn't realize that is an idiot, so why even care what idiots think?

Yeah, JMT said it correctly here. Each year, Ive seen princesses with bare midriffs and skirts up to their calfs no more then 4 years old knock on my door. Hell, my wife and I even had a no more then 6 year old boy show up on trick or treat night as a serial killer, threating to "shank us" if we didnt have a certain type of candy. For goodness sakes, who's sending the better message here? This is a social and moral issue as well, and Id far prefer my son or daughter to dress as their opposite gender then threaten to shank people. I believe these women are acting in utter cowaardice, and they're not teaching their child to be himself, no matter how much they claim. It's a shame when a 4 year old child shows he can handle something far better then a parent can. To be young and innocent again.

Men should not be wearing outfits that are traditionally for females. Once he reaches adulthood he can experiment if he wishes, but if I had a son and he wanted to be a princess I would kindly explain to him about how we are men and we need to be like other men. I fully understand if the couple decide to let their son dress up how he wants, even if it's just for Halloween, but they run the risk of him receiving harsh hurtful teasing from his peers. It can lead to emotional trauma, which nobody wants. It is a case that needs to be addressed carefully for all involved. It isn't about giving in to the demands of neighbors, it's about what is best for the child. He needs to understand that a lot of people might make fun of him and say mean things to him if he dressed up as a princess when he's a boy. The best way to go about it in my opinion would be to go ahead and let him do what he wants but only after having a long talk with him explaining what might happen because that way he isn't told "no you can't do that!" and they are not giving in to demands of others. The whole issue needs to be addressed, and he's GOING to get made fun of. As long as he's ok with that, it won't hurt anyone to let him dress up. I'm usually pretty traditional in my views on things, and this is a little different since it IS Halloween, it's probably the only time I would ever let my son (if I had one) wear females' clothing.

That the parents are gay is irrelevant. Any decent parent would do what's in the best interests of their child and that's not letting him go out in a costume that will draw abuse. Jesus christ, anyone who said "Let the kid do what he wants" has no fucking idea what being a parent is about.

Would it kill them to tell the boy that "girl's are princesses and boys are princes"? Or are they too afraid the boy will respond "then I wanna be a girl". It just seems like a really stupid way to grab attention. It's not a matter of sexual preferences being promoted by him dressing as a princess. It's a matter of logic. If you are a male you are prince. Regardless of being straight, homosexual or bisexual. You can choose if you wanna be straight, homosexual or bisexual once you grow up. You can't pick between being a prince or a princess when the queen spits you out of her... you know. Your gender decides that. The English language dictates you are a prince if mommy is a queen, daddy is a king and you have a penis. And if his two mothers fail to relay that information to their child, then their problem isn't concerns over sexual affiliations. It's lack of communication.

That, or they are making this silly stuff up to nab attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back