Int Region, San Fran Subregion, Round 1:(7)Rey Mysterio vs.(26)Abdullah The Butcher

Who Wins This Match?

• Rey Mysterio

• Abdullah The Butcher

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the International Region, San Francisco Subregion. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at the Cow Palace, San Francisco, California.

Cow%20Palace.jpg

rey-mysterio-photograph-c12233391.jpeg

#7. Rey Mysterio

Vs.

GoShkHvOtAokuwb.jpg

#26. Abdullah the Butcher

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

I'm going to make a startling admission - I was joking when I said I thought that Abdullah the Butcher should beat Rey Mysterio. Teehee, ain't I a stinker, etc. etc. I'm not sure if JGlass picked up on that and was just playing along or if he took me deadly seriously. It's difficult to tell sometimes.

So no, I don't think Rey Mysterio would actually be so shocked at having his cultural heritage - his mask or maybe the word "Mexico" written on his stomach - attacked by a fork that he would forfeit the match. Well, probably not.

I've been doing some light research on the ol' Butcher, and here are some key facts I gleaned:
  • Blading has left him with grooves in his head so deep that he can hold betting chips in them.
  • Billy Graham's accused him of spreading Hepatitis C to other wrestlers.
  • He knows some judo and karate - though if this is limited to judo throws and karate chops is questionable. Certainly, he's not quite Lyoto Machida.
  • He's into some fucked up shit.

[I was misremembering something]. I see no reason why Rey Mysterio, one of the best wrestlers of the last decade if not ever, won't win - though I'm open to persuasion. Rey Rey don't blade for nobody, baby.

Hasn't Rey Mysterio made a career out of beating big fat guys? There's really no reason that the ultimate underdog card wouldn't be played here. Abdullah dominates a large portion of the match until Rey pulls out the win from nowhere. Rey wins here and it's just out of pure habit more than anything.

Rey is known for being the best little man in the business. Ever.
Rey has made a name for himself defeating guys Abdullah's size, or bigger.
Abdullah is no small feat, but he is just a stepping stone for Rey in the tournament.

¡Roján!;3857292 said:
Hasn't Rey Mysterio made a career out of beating big fat guys?.

No, he hasn't you horrible nincompoop. He's made a career by putting on some of the best matches in the history of professional wrestling.

Abdullah the Butcher made his career by sticking a fork in people's heads and being fat.

There's no reason that Rey Mysterio shouldn't beat Abdullah. He has greater accomplishments, is more technically gifted, is more entertaining, and has a history of beating big men, and Abdullah the Butcher simply isn't that good.

Kevin Nash, Bam Bam Bigelow, Scott Norton, Mark Henry, Batista, Kane, Big Show; all big motherfuckers that have something in common - Rey Mysterio beat them. Luck or not, Mysterio beat these guys which proves he stands a chance against Abdullah. He's got a history of beating guys two, maybe even three times his size, I'm sure he'd have no problem doing the same to Abdullah. And that's not really a knock against Abdullah, it's just Rey Mysterio is an overall better wrestler and has a history of defeating opponents larger than him. Wherever Rey goes, luck follows.

The only real debate that should take place here is a discussion as to why Abdullah is ranked so damn high. He is an opening round squash for any half decent star, which, of course, Rey Mysterio fits the bill perfectly. I respect and admire the man for what he's done, but nobody seriously thinks there's any chance he can win the tournament.

Rey Mysterio by repeated 619s to Abdullah's blood-soaked forehead.

Mysterio has beaten a lot of big guys far better inside the ring than Abdullah. According to KB, this is a "standard one on one match", which means that Abdullah is certainly out of his comfort zone. By that, it means that this isn't a hardcore match. I'm sure there's more to Abbie than just the hardcore aspect but, let's be honest, it's that very image that people constantly tout & talk about that's made Abdullah a legend. He's a hardcore wrestler known for using anything to beat his opponents with, whether it be a steel chair or a fork, and he can't do that in this match.

As a man that's well more than twice Mysterio's weight, Abbie would no doubt get his shots in and a lot of Mysterio's offense wouldn't have that much effect. Rey would also get tossed around quite a bit and be on the receiving end of more than one splash type of move. However, if Abbie can't finish him in the first 5 minutes, then Mysterio takes it by sheer virtue of superior conditioning alone. Mysterio's hit & run, speedy offense would wear Abdullah down to the point where a couple of 619s would keep Abbie down.

If this was a hardcore match, Rey might be shit out of luck but, fortunately for him, it's not so I see him walking out with the win.

While I believe Rey Mysterio is one of the most overrated wrestlers of all time, he easily beats Abdullah.

Abdullah is a gimmick. Sorry, he is. Watch his matches and tell me otherwise. A big, fat slob who slices and dices himself to incite the audience. He can work a crowd, I'll give him that much, but it's a total gimmick.

Rey Mysterio is a legitimate, talented professional wrestler. I'm not a fan, but I respect him. I don't respect The Butcher, not at all.

You know, sometimes someone says something so perfectly, that it can be used over and again. KB wrote this about the Blue Demon and Brody match

Brody is another crazy man and while he's a legend, he's most famous for touring around the country so that he doesn't overstay his welcome. In other words, he's brought in for a big star, such as Blue Demon, to beat so that Demon looks like a big .

If that is the way we look at Brody, which is pretty fair, I'd say, then it also fits pretty damn well for Abdullah, too. This is a situation where Gary Hart brings in his monster to destroy the star of the company, and while he beats him down pretty well, the face survives and gets his hands on the coward manager. It's booking 101, and what should happen in this match. Abby could draw money, but it would never be over an extended period of time, and the audience would take him in short spurts. Rey has managed to wrestle at a high level, perhaps the most consistent worker in the business today, and always wrestle at a high level. No one will argue he's a great draw, but he's good enough to survive with the win against Abdullah.

I am tempted to put some cliche like...'Abdulla loses his mind and rams a fork in reys eye socked, causing a DQ, rey pulls out, abdullah is removed from the tournament and their round two opponent gets a bye'

Buuuuuuuuut that would be stupid.

I think Rey Rey's legacy in this business speaks for itself, genuine superstar VS. guy so crazy people hire him when really they shouldn't.

Rey Rey advances.

Being a giant killer may not be a nickname for Mysterio, but God Dammit it is something that he does well... and that is proving that little men can go over big men believably. Mysterio's only a buck and three quarters, so it's pretty special to see him go over [or hang] with monsters like Big Show, Kane, and Undertaker without making the spots like like complete shit.

I think Rey can handle Abdullah; if he can find a way to beat Mark Henry without being squashed like an ant, he can find a way to win here too.

Seriously, who is rooting for the Butcher? What kind of Bizzaro world would that be? Abdullah was one of the dirtiest hardcore wrestlers in the business. Eye gouging and stabbing a fork into the head of whoever he faced in the ring were his trademark. What else is he known for? Eating announcer ties and chomping off the heads of Chickens? Rey Mysterio has made a career of beating guys bigger than him. (Hell at his size, that is pretty much everyone he's faced) And the Butcher will be no different.

Mysterio wins this match in 10 minutes after hitting four consecutive 619's just for the lols.

Rey Mysterio is capable of beating men of Abdullah's size, Kevin Nash and Big Show are just two examples that have come to mind.

The Butcher is a horrendous wrestler. So fat he can hardly move, and all he could do in the ring is wobble about stabbing people with a fork. Mysterio's superior speed, intelligence and high flying would be something that Abdullah just simply could not deal with.

Rey would tire Abby out and when the fat man is exhausted, he would hit a top rope dropkick, sending Abdullah to the mat and then land a springboard splash for the win.

Winner: Rey Mysterio

THis is one of those matches that Mysterio would find a way to win. He'd take a big beating at first, but the idea here is simple: if you get Abdullah on his bag, that big fat tub of goo is going to take awhile to get up. Once that happens, it's all gravy for Mysterio. Rey is way too fast for Abdullah to keep up with and he'll use the high flying to take him down. Either that or he'll win by DQ.

I think you guys are selling Abby short. I'm also voting for Mysterio but I think Abby would punish him quite a bit during the match. The Butcher would use his usual tactics to make Rey suffer but once Rey escapes it won't take much to get Abby in position for the 619. I say Abby dominates most of the match but takes the loss in the end.

I like Rey, and I know that he has gotten the name as a Giant Killer, but I don't see him beating Abby here. I know Abby is losing by a lot, and there is pretty much no chance he goes over Rey here due to the enormous difference in votes, but I think Abby could win this match. Abby has a lot more experience on Rey, and I can see Abby slipping past some dirty moves. Also, one splash from Abby on to Rey would wreck Rey, and leave him very vulnerable. Abdullah is the real deal I think, and I do think that he could over Rey here. Abby has accomplishments from many organizations, while Rey has just been an upper-mid card talent most of his career with one world title reign that lasted more than a month, with another one that lasted 28 days, and that WWE title reign which I don't think he even had the title for. Abby goes over Rey here.

Even though it does look like a blow out for Rey here, vote Abby.

Abdullah is an interesting quirk in wrestling. Still going at 109 years old or whatever he is, he has made a much longer career out of forks than anyone else in history, I'm sure. Except maybe the guy who invented forks. I think ultimately though, Abdullah wouldn't be able to do much of what he has become famous for, and Mysterio would - taking people to good matches and then beating much bigger guys booked to look imposing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back