Int Region, New York Subregion, First Round: (9) Vader vs. (24) Greg Valentine

Who Wins This Match?

• Vader

• Greg Valentine

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the International Region, New York Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under International Rules, meaning the match is held under the standard rules of the country the match is held in. It will be held at Madison Square Garden in New York City, New York.

madison-square-garden.jpg

271.jpg

#9. Vader

Vs.

452420.jpg

#24. Greg Valentine

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

This is a tough draw for Valentine. I was a huge mark for Valentine when I was a youngster, and am still a big fan of the work he put in back in the day. That being said, I just can't see him going over Vader, for any reason other than the fact that as tough as Valentine could be in the ring, he's up against a 400 pounder that is deceptively quick, and can do moonsaults!!! A wrestler who is more of a high flyer, or even an in ring technician probably would have had a better chance at taking Vader out here, but what with Valentines primarily brawling style, I just think he eventually gets pummeled against Vader, in spite of hanging in there, and managing to damage the big man. Vader's superior size and power allow him to withstand an early onslaught from Valentine, after which he begins to administer a profoundly vicious beating of his own, culminating with a Vader splash for the win...too bad, I wanted to see Valentine go further in this tourney, but Vader, I feel, is just too much for the Hammer.

Damn, I was hoping to try to help Valentine move to the second round as I feel he is very underrated around here, but he’s got too tough a draw. The Hammer is just overmatched here. Valentine is known as a slow starter and if he can manage to drag the match on for a while he’s got a chance. I just don’t see that happening. Vader is a wrecking machine that just pummels his opponents from bell to bell. I don’t think Valentine would have the chance to get warmed up and Vader wins this slugfest relatively quickly.

While you can't argue that Valintine was never a great Wrestler, I can't see Valintine getting the win over Vader. in the end Vaders Size and strength would would just be to much for valintine to handle, with Vader picking up the win quite quickly.

Valentine can hold his own against most men, but Vader isn't a man. He's a beast. I predict that Greg will hang on for a good bit, but eventually get put down by big red.

I was never really a fan of valentine. Vader is a monster that could never win the big one, he gets out of the 2ns round though. I'll say vader sault pin.

Vader is simply put, too much for Valentine to handle. Valentine might get some of his offense in, but in hindsight, a 450lb man that can do a top rope moonsault, one of the most devastating Power Bombs in the sport, and some of the most hard hitting strikes I've ever seen, HAS to go far in this tournament.

Vader relatively easy.

Ultimate clash of styles here. It takes Hammer 15 minutes to warm up. Unfortunately, Vader does most of his damage inside of 15 minutes.

Hammer is totally outmatched. I love The Hammer as much as any good and decent old school wrestling fan, but come on. This is the biggest landslide of the first round.

Vader annihilates poor Greg The Hammer.

Only one choice here - has to be Vader obv.

I do think people probably underrate Valentine a little. His work post 1985 (the time most have seen WWF footage from) was still great but it was certainly the evening of his career and he didn't really have a significant feud.. although the war with Garvin was really great imo. Loved those matches so much, tons of pyschology and brutal strikewars.

Valentines work through his whole career is stellar. So many great feuds and matches, I think I would claim he's up there with the most underrated worker of all time. No one mentions him when he is super versatile and consistent. But that's where it stops here for him - he's just never been booked strongly enough to beat Vader here. The highest on the card he's been is in the NWA where he reached upper midcard without breaking into the main event like, ever.

Vader rolls through after a VICIOUS brawl vs a prime Valentine. This isn't a squash, it's a bloodbath.

Vader hammers The Hammer and wins this.

Valentine is vastly underrated as a competitor but he's facing Vader here, the same guy who often dominated guys like Sting and Inoki. Vader is one of the best big men ever in wrestling and was the definition of a force.

Valentine would most likely get the shit kicked out of him, get a broken nose and would get powerbombed into defeat or possibly dies because Vader punches through his skull.

As Sam and Lee would tell you, I have an admiration for Greg "The Hammer" Valentine, and as anyone who has been in these tournaments can tell you, Vader does far better than his talent and career warrants because of the support of our former dear leader Mr. Irish Canadian 25. So what I'm about to do pains me.

You have to vote for Vader. Valentine was good, and he really was popular, and was one of the first to be successful in the national WWF and NWA, but not as successful as Vader was, and that's even if you ignore Vader's global achievements. Put simply, this is a win for Vader.

There are a good number of huge mismatches in the first round and this is just one more.

Vader is a multi time, super dominant World Champion both in New Japan and WCW. Vader is also probably the last great super heavyweight.

Greg Valentine is an uncharismatic, somewhat athletically challenged career mid-carder who never came remotely close to being in the same universe as Vader.

Vader wins this match in probably 3 minutes.

For me Greg Valentine will always be synonymous with just being the honkytonk mans tag team partner which is sad. Vadar was and always will be remembered as a giant who absolutely destroyed most of his openness.

Vader would demolish Valentine in 3 minutes. The guy is a beast and stiff as a board.

sorry Greg but i dont see you getting much offense in once Vader attacks.

Vader bomb to end it after a hell of a beating gets laid down

If this for some reason went past 20 minutes, the Hammer may have a chance. But even after that he would have quite a slim chance. He should be commended on his career & most people should do some homework if not familiar with him. Truly a good wrestler for his time.

Unfortunately- he faces Vader. A freaking monster of a man & quite vicious to boot. His punches are hard, his frame is solid & he rarely moves unless he wants to. When he gets going- look out, because he can move very well for a guy his size.

Even if Greg is alive after a flurry of shots to the head and body, then a Vaderbomb will surely take him out.

Hammer goes splat in less than 7 minutes.

If this for some reason went past 20 minutes, the Hammer may have a chance.

Why? Because Vader is fat and fat people can't wrestle more than 20 minutes?

I've had to give this argument before as well.

If you're 250 lbs (Valentine) and you have to move a 450-lb guy (Vader), you're going to gas quicker than if you're a 450-lb guy moving a 250-lb guy. Not to mention every time the big guy comes down on your torso, you're having the air squeezed from your lungs.

When I have more time, MAYBE I'll go through the explanation of how many long matches and 4- or 5-match in one night tournaments Vader won in Japan.

Vader in 3. Minutes. Including entrances.

Why? Because Vader is fat and fat people can't wrestle more than 20 minutes?

Seriously what is with people only reading a sentence from a post & going off? Where did I say Vader was too fat to win a long match?

I said The Hammer may have a chance (a slim chance) if it went longer, usually because Valentine really tended to hit his stride in a match of length.

Did you not notice the entire rest of my post where I VOTED FOR VADER? The part where I said he would destroy him?

Jesus Christ man. I expect this from Haiku because he is a tool, but damn IC....

I AGREE WITH YOU AND VOTED FOR VADER. So chill out.

Even if that was true, and you expect us to believe it (And I don't; you don't seem to understand that with the written word, there's a context behind words, which you don't seem to get), let's just assume that's right, and say that you believe Greg Valentine would hit his stride at twenty minutes.

Ric Flair is a guy known for hitting his stride later in the match, right? For often lasting sixty minutes and retaining his title? Perhaps a man who has the best conditioning in the history of wrestling.

And Arn Anderson is no slouch, at all, right? Surely a man who can tire out his opponents, and has excellent conditioning.

Vader wrestled them both. In a handicap match. No one to tag to.

Vader won.

If Flair and Anderson got Vader to twenty minutes, and fell together, why should I believe Greg Valentine would do any better?

You dont have to believe Valentine would do better. You voted the same way that I did. But since you asked...

Well the same way that people thought others may have had a slim chance at beating Vader. In the end Vader still won, despite fans thinking his opponent had a slim chance.

You see, as I have pointed out- 'slim chance' =\= 'saying he will win'. Just like before when I informed you that 'less' =\= 'none' The context behind 'slim chance' says more than likely not gonna happen, but hey there may be a way- a slim chance given the circumstances.

Coupled with the fact that I VOTED FOR VADER BECAUSE I THINK HE WOULD DESTROY VALENTINE.

That shows I dont have faith in him beating Vader. Could he? Possible- but highly un-likely.

Jesus you really are just trying to start shit because you have nothing better to do than argue insignificant things with someone who VOTED FOR THE SAME GUY YOU DID. Lets play the Haiku game- Focus on one phrase, ignore all the other words\true point of a post & act like a douche.

Go home, Jack
Your shit is tiresome.
Nice Try.

Even if that was true, and you expect us to believe it (And I don't;

That's because something has obviously crawled up your ass over the past few days. I thought the same thing when I saw IC's post, as did probably everyone else without an axe to grind.

I never cared for Valentine for the same reason I never cared for 90% of the old pudgy white guys from the 70s and 80s, I don't believe for a second that they could actually fight. If I can't buy into you, I don't care for your work. And when you're up against someone with even an ounce of athleticism, I'm voting against you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back