In Your Opinion.

Zanman720

Straight Up Freak
In your Opinion....What are some "Must See Matches" for the following superstars. Now by Must See, i am talking about great matches. Ones that blow your mind, and you're not a WWE fan or a Fan of that Superstar if you haven't seen that match.

I made this thread so that discussions of legends and even past wrestlers could just be discussed, idk...i'm a nut, i like hearing people's opinions on these kinds of things.

Targeted Superstars
Bret "The Hitman" Hart
Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka
Hulk Hogan
Rowdy Roddy Piper
Curt Hennig
Junkyard Dog
Ricky Steamboat
Ric Flair
Sgt. Slaughter
Owen Hart
Bob Backlund
Randy Savage

Now not all of the legends are in here or all superstars of choice, but there were a select few i picked...and We all know about Owen Hart, and had he not suffered such a tragic death, he would have become one of the top dogs. Mark my words. But i'm curious, lets reminisce and talk about these guys must see matches, careers and what not. Now you don't have to comment on all of them, of course, just the ones you want to.

I have a few in mind. The first match would have to be Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat at WM 3. That match solidified Randy Savage as a big time player in the WWE.

My second would have to be Hulk Hogan vs, The Ultimate Warrior at WM 6. Say what you will about the wrestling ability of both men, but that match in my opinion is the standard bearer for build-up and excitement factor.

I would say my third is Bret Hart vs. Davey boy Smith at Summerslam '92. That match showed the tremendous wrestling ability of BOTH men, and showcased the HUGE talent both had as singles performers. Not to mention the emotions involved with the match as well seeing as how they were both part of the same wrestling royalty.

My fourth and final choice is The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels from WM 26. That match had the fans on the edge of their seat from beginning to end. I for one did not think that The Undertaker was going to win that match because I did not really believe Shawn was going to retire just yet. And I am a HUGE Undertaker fan.

These are my choices. Some people may agree or disagree but I look forward to discussion and see all the other choices that others pick.

pretty cool topic... some are going to have a few must see matches as it just can't be kept to one, but i'll try to limit it to a few though for Bret I'd say every match he had lol

Bret "The Hitman" Hart

So many here, iron man against shawn, bulldog at summerslam, mr perfect at summerslam would be the three i'd say are absolute MUST SEE classics.

Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka

Against Don Muraco in the cage where he dove off the f'n thing... Even people who aren't wrestling fans know about it and go crazy when they see it, it was just incredible and light years ahead of its time

Hulk Hogan
Wrestlemania 3 against andre, 6 against warrior, 18 against rock, his match against the Sheik where he won the title, and bash at the beach where the NWO formed, all of these matches were entertaining and huge moments in wrestling history.

Rowdy Roddy Piper

Wrestlemania 8 against Bret, easily his best in ring performance and a hell of a match from a story telling perspective. Also, his earlier dog collar matches were great to watch as well.

Curt Hennig
(see bret hart)

Junkyard Dog
1982 (i think that's the year) Wrestling Classic Battle Royal where he won it, also his dog collar match was fun to watch.

Ricky Steamboat
WM3 Against randy savage and I think it was wrestlewar? his match against Flair, any match against flair really was classic

Ric Flair
My favorite all time match with flair was i believe halloween havoc where it was an I quit match against Terry Funk and funk got attacked after, one of the matches that got me into the lifelong wrestling fan I am today

Sgt. Slaughter
Royal Rumble against Warrior, not the greatest match, but was memorable and i'm not a big fan of the sarge so there aren't many i can think of (though I did like his character in his prime, hate it now)

Owen Hart
Summerslam cage match against Bret (don't you love how many of these involve bret), what a great match and story.

Bob Backlund
Towel match and I Quit matches against... wait for it... waaait for it... BRET! Both were awesome matches and the only instance a guy like backlund was really entertaining.

Randy Savage
WM 8 against Flair, WM 4, all of his matches, WM 5 against Hogan, 7 against warrior, 3 against Steamboat, as big as hogan and shawn were to mania, so was the madness!! Even WM 10 against Kona Crush was a fun match to watch, his match in WCW against DDP was another great one that skyrocketed DDP to superstardom

Thanks for starting this thread, it was fun to reminisce on these matches and just what i needed right now!

Bret "The Hitman" Hart
Summerslam 91 vs Mr.Perfect. This match launched Bret's singles career. Probably the most important match Bret ever wrestled. Without this the match with Davey Boy the following year and the subsequent matches with Shawn and Owen may never have taken place. This match is where it all started for the Hitman. He not only proved he belonged as a singles player, but that he belonged at the top.

Hulk Hogan
Wrestlemania X8 vs The Rock. Thank goodness for those crazy canuck fans. The Toronto crowd turned what could have been a dud of a match into the most memorable Wrestlemania moment of the past decade. It's the only Hogan match I've ever gotten chills watching. The atmosphere in an arena is one of the most undervalued aspects of any classic match. It's what separates the very good matches from the all time classic matches. If theirs no fan response, it's just not the same.

Curt Hennig
Summerslam 91 vs Bret Hart. He and Bret had perfect chemistry. No pun intended. He was Bret's greatest opponent. They were essentially the same size, height, age, style, everything. They even both wore the strap singlet look. Some guys just click together. Shawn may be Brets greatest rival/enemy, but Curt was his best opponent. You can never say enough about how good Mr.Perfect Curt Hennig was. He never gets enough credit. He deserves to be mentioned with Bret, Savage, Flair, Shawn as the greatest ever. He is at the top of the list for guys who never won a world championship that should have.

Ric Flair
Royal Rumble 1992. Still the best Royal Rumble to date. I was never as big on Flair as some people were, as I felt he was too cartoony at times. I could never take him seriously the way I did Perfect or Bret. But this performance at the Rumble made me a fan back in 92. And it's not just Flairs performance that's fantastic, it's the commentary from Monsoon and Heenan. "This is not fair to Flair, this is not fair to flair!" Lol. Heenan was exhausted by the time this match was finally over. If you ever only watch one Royal Rumble, this is the one to watch.

Owen Hart
Wrestlemania X vs Bret
The best match of Wrestlemania X. That's right, better than the ladder match. What I loved about Bret's matches were that they all felt so real. Like you were watching an actual sport. An overtime in Hockey where at any moment a fluke goal can be scored and the game comes to an end. That was never more true than in this match where Owen gets a rollup seemingly out of nowhere and scores the upset that "shocked the world" as Lawler so adequetly said while doing commentary for the match.

Randy Savage/Ricky Steamboat
Wrestlemania 3 Vs each other. This is the greatest Wrestlemania match of all time taking place at the greatest Wrestlemania of all time during Wrestlings greatest era. Nothing will ever top this.

In your Opinion....What are some "Must See Matches" for the following superstars. Now by Must See, i am talking about great matches. Ones that blow your mind, and you're not a WWE fan or a Fan of that Superstar if you haven't seen that match.

I made this thread so that discussions of legends and even past wrestlers could just be discussed, idk...i'm a nut, i like hearing people's opinions on these kinds of things.

Targeted Superstars
Bret "The Hitman" Hart
Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka
Hulk Hogan
Rowdy Roddy Piper
Curt Hennig
Junkyard Dog
Ricky Steamboat
Ric Flair
Sgt. Slaughter
Owen Hart
Bob Backlund
Randy Savage

Now not all of the legends are in here or all superstars of choice, but there were a select few i picked...and We all know about Owen Hart, and had he not suffered such a tragic death, he would have become one of the top dogs. Mark my words. But i'm curious, lets reminisce and talk about these guys must see matches, careers and what not. Now you don't have to comment on all of them, of course, just the ones you want to.

Bret "The Hitman" Hart

As others have mentioned the iron man match with shawn was amazing, and his match with Davey Boy was totally the way a babyface vs babyface match should go, but I'll also add his match with stone cold which truly launched the "austin 3:16" era.... yeah he said it at survivor series but he didn't connect with the audience until he refused to submit covered in blood.....

Hulk Hogan

Well not by ringwork but seriously his match with andre was amazing.... as was his match with the ultimate warrior had the great crowd reaction to it.... Halloween havoc was one of those "game changing" events... but really him vs the rock at wrestlemania had everything... That was a match that you had to see to watch both performers doing what came naturally when they were in the ring... again not a great techincal match, but had emotion...

(ps I've skipped snuka piper dog and backlund because I really don't have anything better to say about them than others probably do...Nothing against them, I just don't truly remember the great matches that they had like I do the others on the list...)

Curt Hennig

His IC match with bret hart was amazing from start to finish, but even his "return" to the WWE was the beginning to greatness again... He showed that even after leaving and coming back he was going to be able to do all the things he used to do and do so well.... Still though I remmeber him for the IC match with Bret (where Bret tore his singlet... was an AMAZING match..)

Ricky Steamboat

I cant say more than steamboat savage at wrestlemania.... That was amazing....... OK I can say more, his match against jericho was also amazing just due to his age.... He was able to carry that match and make people believe that he could legitimately win that caused that match to go above "ok sure that was alright" to omg that was a pretty damn good match... so I'll include it...

Ric Flair

any of the ric flair vs steamboat matches should be included in the "best of all time" I'm sure people will talk about that.... I'm sure they'll talk about him vs harley race... again best of all time sure.... The match "I" remember him for is the first match I saw him wrestle.... It was the first royal rumble he appeared in, and the first royal rumble that gave the winner the title belt.... (its also the first wrestling memory I have.... I have referenced older matches, but I watched those as I grew older and continued watching wrestling... This is the first memory of wrestling I can remember watching live...) He entered number 3 and with the final 4 of Randy Savage Sid Justice Hulk Hogan and himself, he eliminated the macho man, but just as he was about to be eliminated by Hulk Sid threw Hulk out... Hulk took umbrage at this and grabbed Sid's hand and Ric eliminated Sid... Yes it was a roundabout way of putting the title on Ric, but it's my earliest memory of wrestling and thus gets a nod on this list...

Owen Hart

His match vs Bret at wrestlemania X was amazing... His subsequent matches were as well, but wrestlemania X was the most shocking... we never thought in a lifetime he would win and there he went pinning bret cleanly in the center of the ring, moments before bret would take the championship.... great match great execution...

Randy Savage

See ricky steamboat....

Bob Backlund
Towel match and I Quit matches against... wait for it... waaait for it... BRET! Both were awesome matches and the only instance a guy like backlund was really entertaining.

Bob Backlund vs Pat Patterson cage match, at Madison square Garden for WWF championship, wasn't entertaining? I agreed with everything you said, except for that. IMO Bob Backlund was a bad ass, & one of the great ring technicians ever, and had one of the longest title runs in WWE history.

Another great Backlund match is against the Iron Sheik in 1985, Backlund never gave up and his manager threw in the towel, same idea as the Hart family angle Backlund was involved in, which is a great match in itself.

Bret Hart

One of my personal favorites of Bret Hart is Royal Rumble 1994, Bret and Owen face the Quebecers, Brets knee gets messed up and Owen turns on Bret. Later, he enters the Royal Rumble injured & wins...sort of..

Bob Backlund vs Pat Patterson cage match, at Madison square Garden for WWF championship, wasn't entertaining? I agreed with everything you said, except for that. IMO Bob Backlund was a bad ass, & one of the great ring technicians ever, and had one of the longest title runs in WWE history.

Another great Backlund match is against the Iron Sheik in 1985, Backlund never gave up and his manager threw in the towel, same idea as the Hart family angle Backlund was involved in, which is a great match in itself.

Bret Hart

One of my personal favorites of Bret Hart is Royal Rumble 1994, Bret and Owen face the Quebecers, Brets knee gets messed up and Owen turns on Bret. Later, he enters the Royal Rumble injured & wins...sort of..

I never saw that match against pat patterson, I'd probably be too biased to even enjoy it because i couldn't stand patterson the past few years... i will admit the match against sheik was a classic, must see match that helped change the face of wrestling history.

I just wish Bret had won the rumble instead of that double ending since i was/am a huge bret fan... when we all thought the number that didn't show up was brets and then all of a sudden he came out later i jumped out of my chair, it was one of the all time great moments in the rumble for me.

Cool thread idea. I'm not gonna use everyone on that list, but I'll give the first few that popped into my head.

Savage/Steamboat at WM3- Need I say more?

Bret/Owen at WM X- This was just all around great. The build-up was fantastic and for me, this match is what made me bug my parents to get this ppv. Hell, they even wanted to watch this one.

Hogan/Warrior WM 6- Well, it wasn't a mat classic, but it wasn't meant to be. This was THE biggest match they could have had at the time. It just had that epic feel to it and I know I was shocked to see the Warrior win.

If you want to see many of these guys, watch the Macho Madness series on Netflix. It's over 6 hours of Savage, and it's mostly matches. Several of the matches mentioned further up in the thread are on it. It's also a great chance to hear some of the WWE's best announce teams and see guys like HBK when they are very young.

Macho was a great character throughout his entire run, but if you haven't seen some of his matches from the 1980's, you might not know how quick he was and how well he could work a crowd as a heel. Just watch his WWF debut match against "Quick Draw" McGraw and watch the fans throw shit at him. He got over as a heel so fast it was amazing, and it wasn't even versus a top-drawing babyface.

Bret Hart Vs..

All the obvious matches have been mentioned and rightly so because they are all as good as they are hyped up to be. I would add to the list his other match with the British Bulldog at 'In Your House: seasons Beatings for the WWF Championship. This match was another great bout between the two..as good maybe even better apart from the fact that the Summerslam match had the best crowd response seeing as where it took place.

Bret vs Owen Summerslam Cage Match- I always thought this match was a classic and was on the edge of my seat watching it. I seriously thought The Nugget was going to win

Hulk vs. Warrior WM6- Epic showdown of the 2 hottest things in wrestling at the time.

Piper vs. Hart Wrestlemania- Piper should've just hit Bret with the damn ring bell

Steamboat vs. Flair- All their matches together were classic stuff

Flair vs. Sting-Same as above

Savage vs. Dibiase WM4- Both men wrestled multiple matches that night and still put on one helluva main event. Its amazing that the only major title Ted ever won was the Tag belts with IRS

Henning vs. Bret SS91- The Excellence of Execution at his finest

Backlund vs. Diesel House show- An 8 second match for the title is hilarious

The rest i havent seen too many matches

Hulk Hogan Vs Macho Man Randy Savage - WWF Championship - Wrestlemania 5
My favourite match up ever between these two WWE legends.

Hulk Hogan Vs Andre The Giant - Steel Cage -1988
A great cage match from one of the greatest feuds in WWE history and the first wrestling match I ever watched.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back