• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Which wrestling legend should start his own promotion?

CM Steel

A REAL American
The WWE has signed various wrestling legends to what is now referred to in the WWE as a "legends contract". The cream of the crop of legends are signed to the WWE (except Sting). The list just go's on & on...

-Bret "The Hitman" Hart
-Dusty Rhodes
-Ted Dibiase (Sr)
-"Rowdy" Roddy Piper
-"The Nature Boy" Ric Flair
-Pat Patterson
-Tony Atlas
-Arn Anderson
-"Cowboy" Bob Orton
-Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat
-Kevin Nash
-Diamond Dallas Page
-Jerry "The King" Lawler
-Sgt. Slaugther
-"Hacksaw" Jim Duggen
-"Superfly" Jimmy Snuka
-Slick
-Ron Simmons
-Mick Foley
-Booker T
-Rikishi
-Shawn Michaels

Did I miss someone?

But I'm pretty sure that this list of legends & icons have saved a pretty penny for an investment in the future. And why not start your own wrestling promotion? Sure legends like Dusty Rhodes, Jerry Lawler, and Booker T have/had their own indy promotions out there. But with more money behind them, could they be as successful as the WWE? I'm not saying that they should try to compete against Vince McMahon or anything. But there's nothing wrong with branching off on your own like a branch that grows off a tree or a side record label from the record company it's self.

So in your own opinion. Which wrestling legend would make that grand wrestling promoter & chairman of the board?

It takes a lot to start a wrestling promotion. You've got to live in a good location for wrestling, but not be too near to any big promotions that will overshadow you and take from your bottom dollar. Location, location, location. You also have to have a staff of trainers, own a wrestling ring, a place to host it, all the audio/visual/lighting gear that is necessary, etc. You also can't just open a "promotion" and host a show a week later - you need wrestlers, and unless you "grow" them yourself you're going to pay anywhere from $500-2,500 for an appearance or match from free agents and indie workers. At bare minimum you're going to need about twenty guys to put on your first show, so you're looking at a minimum of $10,000 for talents, not to mention their travel, room and board.

First thing they want to do is start a wrestling SCHOOL. That costs a whole lot less. Ring, gym equipment, semi-permanent space, and hiring a trainer to make sure guys don't kill themselves. Once you've got a whole crew of guys, you can bring in a half dozen of talents, use the local school gym for a night, and you're home free. Plus, to have your own promotion you need a creative mind, and that of a booker. Not all great wrestlers have that.

ANYWAYS... My ideal pick is Chris Jericho. In a perfect world, after Jericho wraps up his WWE career, he would move back home to Canada and start a new "dungeon" with Lance Storm, Bret Hart, Edge, and Christian. Their names alone would bring in great crowds. Storm is one of the best in-ring trainers ever; period. I would love to see what Edge and Christian could do with training younger guys. They could set up one hell of a training school and touring Canadian promotion.

There are a lot of capable retired wrestling brains out there.. But no 'legend' can make any impact without current WWE stars.

The only way a new promotion could instantly gain a large fan base and give the WWE a shake would be if they poached some quality current WWE names.. For example if someone like Paul Heyman magically left and took both Lesnar and Punk with him.. Those three alone have enough profile to gather the publics attention. Then if they could then get like a Jim Ross backstage to help grow.. It could seriously thrive into something great.

Anything else would die and have no chance of surviving long term competing with the WWE..

I dont believe there is any Superstar out there that could start a Wrestling promotion that would be successful. The main reason is funds! Look at how hard the Carter family are finding it funding TNA. They have legends attached to their product and are going absolutely nowhere. They have stagnated even with big names like Hulk Hogan, Kurt Angle and Jeff Hardy.

When you look at TNA you think to yourself it is utterly pointless. WWE is what everyone thrives to be like but nobody is getting close. And nobody will ever get close unless it shuts down. They put WCW out of business.

However, if I had never ending money and I wanted someone to show me the ropes and help me build up the business I would have Paul Heyman as head of creative and Bret Hart as chief booker. Then I would look toward free agents like RVD, Chris Masters, Batista to try and get something going.

Of course, one of the big questions about any of these guys starting their own promotion is whether they really plan on running the show.....or if they're essentially just lending their name to it. The difference could be huge: a guy like Hulk Hogan (who isn't on the original list in this topic) seems to think he could run a whole wrestling company ("The 24-inch pythons taught Vince McMahon the wrestling business, brother!") while I would think most of the other guys on the list would be smart enough to hire people who know sports entertainment management to run the company while he fronts the operation, lending his name, presence and money, but not much more.

When it comes to Hogan, we don't really know how much actual decision-making power he has in TNA; a lot of what comes out of his mouth is just rhetoric, and should regarded as such.

As for starting a promotion bearing one's name, I use Kevin Nash as an example. He seems like the type who would start "Kevin Nash All-World Wrestling" with the original idea involving him coming to the ring to start the show with a few choice words, and perhaps sitting at the announcer's table at other times to enlighten us with his treasure trove of experiences in the business. That's fine.

But, would anyone be surprised if someone like Nash couldn't resist the temptation to install himself as world champion? I think a small promotion should concentrate on building new talent. They should avoid bringing in big names, at least too often, since they've already got one heading the bill.

Of course, that also brings up a problem facing any of the older superstars who might want to fire up their own promotion: After you've worked WWE, how do you content yourself with a small time operation? Major league baseball players who are demoted to the minors probably feel the same way: how you gonna keep 'em down on the farm after they've seen Wrestlemania?

I just want to note that Booker T does have his own promotion and school in Texas called ROW. I love the idea of a guy with that kind of experience just having a small local promotion / school to focus on developing a few really good talents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back