In what matches do you feel the wrong guy went over?

matty256

Pre-Show Stalwart
There are certain matches were many people feel the wrong person went over. A match which could have turned out so much better if only someone else had won. Someone would have perhaps alot of momentum, or perhaps need to go over so that he could be more credible. Anyone have any examples?

I can think of a few, I think HBK should have beaten Hogan at Summerslam but we all know if Hogan comes back he wins. Its funny cus i was reading a HHH interview in WWE magazine and he said they were suppose to have a rematch the following month at Unforgiven with Shawn going over this time but Hogan mysteriously popped his knee out of socket :rolleyes:

Another match i think the wrong guy went over was The Benoit Angle classic from Royal Rumble in 03. We may not of had our teary eyed moment from Benoit and Guerrero at Wrestlemania 20 but could you imagine at Wrestlemania 19 Lesnar vs Angle vs Benoit? would have been more of a classic then it was

I feel like Shelton should have gotten the victory over Morrison on SD Friday night. They've faced each other three times in singles matches & Shelton has lost all three, not to mention all the tag team matches Shelton's team lost to Morrison's team whether he did the job or not! Two of the matches went five minutes or less which was fucking ridiculous! They could have made things more interesting by have Shelton give the win & prolonging the feud a little. Looks like they've officially turned Shelton Benjamin into an upper mid-card jobber. When was the last time he won a match that meant a damn?

IMO, Kane should have went over Triple H at No Mercy when they fought to unify the IC and World Titles. Kane was way over at this stage and had he won then he may have been remembered more fondly by people today. His career may have been more sustainable as well and a win could have given him the credibility to be a legitimate main eventer. So in this instance, I think HHH was the wrong guy to go over...

Orton should have went over Cena at Summerslam to win his second world title in 07. The crowd was so evenly split and I just feel Orton's title reign would have been more powerful if he actually got to take the belt from Cena

Jeff Hardy should have won the title at Survivor Series - His momentum was at an all time high after wins over HHH & Taker before the PPV, then the whole attacked in the stairway angle had everyone talking, when he came out that night he got a mega pop, he should have won the title that night, then they could have saved Edge's return for another month or so. He still got a great reaction when he won the title at Armageddon but I think it would have seemed like a much bigger deal if he won it at one of the big PPV's like Survivor Series.

Goldberg should have won the elimination chamber at Summerslam 2003 - He should have smashed through HHH and pinned him just like he did with the rest of the guys in the match, instead he gets pinned by HHH and wins the title later on when nobody really cared, if he won it here the crowd would have went nuts.

Christian should have won MITB this year instead of CM Punk - Not only because the fans wanted it on the night, but it would have created so many possible new storylines, especially whenever Edge was holding a title.

Well i think it's kinda obvious that HHH is going to come up rather a lot. I think that RVD should have gone over HHH at Unforgiven. For probably the exact same reason that Kane should have gone over at No Mercy. Van Dam was way over with the crowd and could've drawn big in my opinion.

I think Orton should've gone over at Wrestlemania 25 too. The feud would have continued if either of them had won but it would've done wonders for Orton if he'd gone over HHH legitimately. Would've been great for the feud too, Imagine if HHH hadn't gotten the redemption he needed at Wrestlemania and went on to be injured by Orton at Backlash. His return would be much more anticipated.

out of recent memories, HHH vs. Orton at WM 25 comes to mind. Orton loosing made no sense whatsoever. It killed Orton`s momentum and ruined months of good build-up around Orton. Was a damn shame.

I've long since felt that Mankind should have gone over UT at their Infamous Hell in a Cell match. Can you imagine Mankind being thrown off the cell then through the cage only to still pull out a victory. Talk about the toughest SOB. Had he won I believe that entire match would have been remembered and not just the 2 big spots.

I know I will get a lot of heat for this but I seriously believe that Bret should had beat HBK @ WM 12. I mean if you think about it the match was 60 mins, not 62 mins or whatever it was.

If the match was going so long after 50 mins they should just had left the match between the 2 and whoever got the 1st pin fall or submission should had won. And at the end we saw Bret putting the sharpshooter on HBK. If the time limited haven't expire I know for a fact that HBK would had tap or pass out like he tap at Survivor Series 1993 or how Austin pass out at WM 13.

I am sorry but Bret will always be a winner in that match in my eyes.

I know I will get a lot of heat for this but I seriously believe that Bret should had beat HBK @ WM 12. I mean if you think about it the match was 60 mins, not 62 mins or whatever it was.

If the match was going so long after 50 mins they should just had left the match between the 2 and whoever got the 1st pin fall or submission should had won. And at the end we saw Bret putting the sharpshooter on HBK. If the time limited haven't expire I know for a fact that HBK would had tap or pass out like he tap at Survivor Series 1993 or how Austin pass out at WM 13.

I am sorry but Bret will always be a winner in that match in my eyes.

I have to strongly disagree. HBK wouldn't be HBK if he hadn't gone over that night. That was the boost of Shawn Michaels' career, and Bret still maintained a top star regardless of losing.

I'm going to say in the Fatal 4 Way Elimination Match at Wrestlemania 2000, Mick should've went over and won that match. After losing that Hell In A Cell to Triple H at No Way Out he was supposed to retire. Then Linda reinstates him and puts him in the main event of Mania and the crowd just ate it up. If Mick would've went over that would've been amazing.

totally agree that bret got screwed in that match. If the match was restarted it should have been restarted in the same position it was ended, in the sharpshooter.... but in reality, shawn was perfectly primed to win that match and it was the right decision by WWE.

But if theres anything that really bothers me, Hogan should have beat Rock at WM 18. Rock is the only guy that went over hogan like that, and Rock is the only one that wants nothing to do with WWE. F*ck Rock. He didnt deserve that win.

Cena should not have won at WM 25 either... Why? Just to give Edge back the title the next month. Seriously, Edge's run would be way longer and more believable if he didnt lose the title in the middle there.

Booker probably should have went over Trips for the World title at Wrestlemania XIX

Yesss!!! I mentioned this under the "Vinces biggest mistake thread". Booker was so over, it would have been great if he won, esp since no one expected it.

Booker got screwed because Vince let HHH ego get in the way for 1. 2 Vince wanted WCW to learn a lesson.

Mick should have won WM2000 again HHH ego would have got hurt to put Foley over. Foley deserved to walk out of WM once as Champion.

a feud where the wrong guy won was Punk at WM 25 in money in the bank. Vince you are a dumb ass for sure. the crowd ate up Christan getting the win and had the entire crowd hot as hell and you blew your load. MVP also got a good reaction. as well as Shelton. the best part was when Punk grabbed the case and the crowd booed the shit out of the ending. maybe Vince will learn for the Future now.

But if theres anything that really bothers me, Hogan should have beat Rock at WM 18. Rock is the only guy that went over hogan like that, and Rock is the only one that wants nothing to do with WWE. F*ck Rock. He didnt deserve that win.

So having the NWO, WCW's biggest faction, win the feud against The Rock, oine of the top two faces in WWE, is the wrong idea? That match was perfect. Rock won, but Hogan turned face. Hogan got more out of that losing and turning face than he did by winning as a heel.

Mine was Christian winning against Jack Swagger. Why? I doesn't really bother me but the love Christian gets amazes me so I would have preferred Swagger to get one defence on a PPV against him (by cheating of course) before Christian would cheat to win at Judgment Day. Luckily Swagger hasn't lost too much momentum since, but he could have done with one big win against him.

WWE matches with the WRONG OUTCOME!!!

1-Jeff Hardy/Edge-2009 Royal Rumble.....Hardy should have walked into WM the champ instead of losing it to Edge after 1 month
2-Chris Jericho/John Cena 2008 Survivor Series.....Jericho should have kept the belt to further the fued...Cena should have had to work harder for that belt. WWE literally GAVE Cena the belt as soon as he got back from being injured!
3-KANE/HHH during the Katie Vick storyline.....WWE REALLY BLEW THIS CALL. There was no way that HHH should have kept the title!!!!
4-Booker T/HHH WM a few years ago...WWE blew this whole feud. Booker should have won at Wrestlemania.
5-Chris Jericho/John Cena from 2005 Summerslam. Jericho left right after this. Fans were sick of Cena. Half the arena cheered Jericho. Jericho should have left as Champion!!

I gotta go with hogan beatin HBK at summerslam 05, the fact is that there was supposed to be a rematch a month later with HBK winning tying up at 1 a piece. and then hogan 'blows out his knee' is complete horse shit. I understand its hogan, but shawn shoulda went over cause he carried that match and made hogan look like a decent wrester. I'm glad they let hbk talk trash about hogan the next night on raw.

Jeff Hardy vS Randy Orton Royal Rumble. I mean after that great spot off the titan tron, Hardy was over and the entire WWE was ready for a change and WrestleMania 24 would have had a better Main Event with Cena vS Hardy in my opinion.

Randy Orton vS Triple H at Wrestlemania 25, I think the crowds reaction spoke for itself. I mean the match was terrible as the crowd was expecting Orton to win and when he didn't, it made wrestlemania 25 worthless outside of HBK-taker and Steamboat kicking it ol'skool.

Taz vS Triple H, Smackdown of 2000 I think, when Taz wass ECW champion and Triple H was WWE Champion. Vince himself said he dropped the ball on that one as he had a chance to make Taz an instant Main Event in the eyes of the WWE fans and he could have save his investment in ECW as he had Heymen on the payroll. Taz could have been a legit star in the WWE instead of the angry color commentator we will remember him as.

Goldberg vS Brock Lesnar at WrestleMania XX. Well it's simple in my mind, even though both were leaving, and it didn't matter who won, what mattered was history. And in history why would the old goldberg lose to the old Lesnar. Plus Lesnar had a better chance of coming back than Goldberg at that time, because who really thought Brock was going to make it in the NFL.

There's a lot of matches like that in my opnion like the last 2 manias in which CM punk won when in 24 I think mvp shoulda won n in 25 christian or benjamin.

Doe anyone ever notice Triple H never loses a one on one battle? everytime he loses its because its a triple threat match or how he lost it to orton EHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH?

Yeah, and at Armageddon when Hardy pinned Edge. They made Hardy look like a fluke, he loses the title a month later, and people are still more over for him than Cena. Does that tell you anything, Vince? It should tell you "Hey, with all due respect, you f***ed up."

I'm probably off topic. Sry.

Also HHH-Orton at WM25, even though the match itself sucked (as far as Wrestlemania main events go, neway). And I think Benjamin absolutely HAS to go over sometime soon. I would love to see a face turn in time for a main event championship shot at SummerSlam, because if MVP can be catapulted to the main event, then Benjamin, who has politely waited his turn, deserves a World title shot.

I think Orton should've won against Hogan at Summerslam 2006. Hogan had an injured knee, and Orton carried him through that match. Plus it would've given loads of credibilty to the legend killer by taking down arguably the greatest legend of all time.

Easily Goldberg and Nash. With the streak going on for Goldberg, in no way, shape or form did it make sense to have him go down. Nash was just another guy and in that match, several things were caused by Goldberg going down.

It made him look like any other guy. He was beaten down by the NWO soon thereafter and it made this monster that should have killed off the NWO look like another guy. Why kill off the people's champion and the hero?

Nash didn't deserve the belt. Seriously, Nash? What in the hell did he ever do that was impressive? Nothing but be a WWF guy coming into WCW on name value alone. Nash had done very little down in Atlanta to warrant this aside from riding the coattails of one Hollywood "I get where OJ was coming from" Hogan.

Finally, why have the heel go over at the big show? Faces are meant to win in the big matches. That's what makes wrestling great: the good guys win. This made it seem like the NWO continued to dominate as it was the same old shit again and again.

Kane vs. Austin on Monday Night Raw following Kanes title victory the night before. He was way over, had an awesome gimmick, and Austin did not need the victory. Austin then leaves Kane and the Undertaker layiny in the ring. From there on Kanes career went spiraling down. If Austin having the title was the goal it would have made more sense to just have Austin win the first blood match the night before.

I think it was the Extreme Elimination Chamber back at December to Dismember had the wrong person go over. Lashley in my opinion was just not ready yet. I think RVD should have gone over here and worst case scenario, they shouldve thrown the title on Test. That couldve been interesting.

Super Crazy over Gregory Helms at Judgement Day 2006. A cruiserweight championship reign for Suoer Crazy would have done his career wonders. It would have been his prving grounds in the WWE to prove that he could hold a championship. I think this would have been better then Helms holding the title for what was it a year and a half over something.

Matt Hardy & Tatanka over MNM on Smackdown in 2006. Just my personal opinion but the whole MNM paparazi thing got old by No Way Out when they had this title match on Smackdown. While Hardy and Tatanka are 2 kinda random tag partners I think it could have led to a pretty successful tag team. MNM was soon to be broken up anyway, it couldn`t have hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back