• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Improving well?

truk24

Getting Noticed By Management
Not sure how many of you were able to see Smackdown's own Ortiz & R-Truth in a match on Superstars, but I was rather impressed with this match particularly Ortiz. Truth has been around much longer, and so I don't expect to see anything new or fresh from him. Ortiz on the other hand has drastically improved in the ring.

When he first started he didn't have much going for himself in the ring. Ortiz was out of place, and looked extremely green. After watching his last match on television I realized that this man may have "some" potential. Being a long time fan I don't think he has paid his dues long enough, but there is potential with this man. Ortiz has come a long way. His ring work was very vintage late 70's style early 80's. I swear this man could have been huge in either of those wrestling era's.

His movement in the ring has changed, and it has depth now. He is selling moves well, and his timing is perfect. Did any of you see this missle dropkick to Truth while R-Truth was sitting up? It was perfectly executed, and that is a tough move to make look real. There still is some work that needs to be done for this man's in ring wrestling work. May I also add that he has been solid on the mic since he came in, and it is something that he has also been increasingly getting better at as well.

If they can get this man slowly worked in to something outside of the "rally" towel gimmick he would do much better off. Right now it is something that is keeping him familiar with fans since they are so fickle and all. Ortiz needs a "tougher" gimmick, and a real finisher. His finisher needs to be revamped in to something more devastating. Give him a particular "look", and some attitude and the WWE may have something here. Maybe a catchy name or nickname? Perhaps Ricky "Old School" Ortiz.

Make his character based on being from the "Old School" or at least think he is. What I mean is his wrestling style, look, and intellect. Watch some old Superstar Billy Graham tapes, and Ortiz will be on his way. Back in FCW Ortiz used to say "I cash checks, and break necks". Sound like something Billy would say? Ortiz can run at the mouth, and in the long run that will help him.

I haven't seen that match, might check it out on youtube later (we dont get Superstars in AUS)

I find Ortiz has a good look body wise but his stupid rally up gimmick is really old and boring and the hair has to go. Carlito is the only one that can pull that look off. If Ortiz had a shaved head or a #1 or #2 cut he'd look pretty bad ass with his tanky torso and half sleeve tattoo.

His mic skills aren't bad but his ring work was terrible the last time I saw him but as I said I didn't catch the match you're talking about. I'd actually forgotten all about him until I read this thread so he'll need to step up if he wants to be a main player on SD!

Ortiz is definitely a lot better than the first time I saw him. I watched one of his very first matches right when he got called up to the Main Roster on ECW and I thought he was terrible. Very green and out of place and the Big Splash from a guy his size wasn't believable, even when The Ultimate Warrior did it and Warrior was at least jacked enough to have some credibility towards it. I agree with Hardymark, Carlito is the only guy who can really pull off that hairstyle and that rally up nonsense has got to go. With some more mic time and a big gimmick tweak, I think Ortiz can make it pretty far as a heel. But if he stays on the path he's currently on, expect him to be the next Simon Dean.

Like I said I think this "rally up" gimmick is just something for fans to latch on to and hate. Which is what we are currently doing at the moment. Once the gimmick has gone "over" long enough a new gimmick will take course. Honestly he has a certain look that I think could go over as a heel. Ortiz has charisma, but it just isn't showing well in this gimmick. I think he needs to take more time towards cleaning up his in ring work first, which seems like the path they are taking with him now.

Seems like creative it just allowing him to learn the ropes first, and just go along with something simple creatively. Since his first tv debut match, Ortiz has gotten surprisingly better in the little time that he has shown on air. Ortiz needs a new move along with a new gimmick once he has learned the ropes well enough to gain attention from the "casual" fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back