Imposter Kane angle

Showtime

It's Showtime!
For weeks now everyone has had some opinion about the Kane/Mysterio angle, they like it, they hate it, they don't care and say no one cares about Kane, it's too late for him to go crazy and be unstoppable again. Let me then take us back to 2006, May 29 an Imposter Kane (Drew Hankinson aka Festus) came from the entrance stage, full costume music and all, and chockslammed Kane. This went on for weeks, Imposter Kane one upping the real Kane, until their match at Vengence where the Imposter Kane won. How humiliating for Kane that must've been, can you imagine if Undertaker lost to Fake Undertaker at SummerSlam, that's how awful it would've been for Kane. The next night on RAW he obviously took out his fustration on the Imposter Kane, beat the shit out of him, tore off his mask and threw him out the building... and that was it!
No mention of Imposter Kane!
No mention of the mask again.
What the hell. That feud could've been money, was Festus not ready or something? We've seen him wrestle, he's got some talent, but we haven't seen his mic skills yet.

So the question presented is, how would you have played out that feud? Would a heel turn or return to old character have worked for Kane better back then?

Well I liked the feud up until final RAW. Imagine it, Imposter Kane beat Kane. Kane must feel awful. He just lost to his former self. Sure, he knows it wasn't really him, but with Kane's fragil mind, he could convince himself, torment himself with it. Meantime, Imposter Kane is having loads of fun being old Kane, beating the shit out of people, till Kane regan's himself and attacks imposter Kane. The two have a no DQ match at the next PPV, Kane wins and removes Imposter Kanes mask. At this point Imposter Kane (who we'll call Festus from this point on) will continue to act crazy like a cross between Mankind and Old Kane (in most sense, an unmasked and talking Abyss), and he and Kane will feud again, Kane winning again and now that Kane has begun to regain his old dominatingself, with mask again, we see him trying to keep himself from becoming what he once was, but in the end giving in and going back to crazy dominant Kane. He could even team with the man who made him crazy, Festus. Imagine the two of them as a tag team. Kane and Undertaker and Kane and Big Show have been tag teams, but really as heels, so they've never brutally beaten their opponents. Kane and Festus could do that, and help make them both look again as dominant, and maybe help the tag team division. And from there Kane could've hopefully re-entered the main event picture before it was too late...
or was it too late back then, oh well, that's how I would've played it. I think Kane might've been able to pull it off two years ago. At least he would've done it verse an opponent roughly his size, How do you look unstoppable when your fighting a giant midget? LOL
Now you tell me how you would've played that storyline out?

I don't think it's too late. I think you need to build this angle further, and have Kane continue to torment Rey for hiding behind a mask. Then make a Rey/Kane inferno match. Kane starts dominating, then just for the night, have Festus come out as imposter Kane, and set him on fire. After the match Kane is out for awhile, the imposter unmasks. So Festus walks around with the aura of taking Kane out, then give it a month or two, and have Kane come back, assault Festus vrutally backstage, and then dominate Rey in a squash match. Then Festus in another match. Then from there, go on with Kane as a dominant monster.

Before I get torn apart for this, I am aware of how much a stretch this is. I am not saying this is the right thing to do, I am saying that if Kane needed to return to old form, then this is the way to do it. I think that anyway to make it happen is a stretch now, but I think it can be done. That is the question I was answering. I, however, do not feel it needs to be done.

I think they gave up on that angle because it simply wasn't getting over. I didn't watch the match Kane had with the Imposter, but i did see the segments throughout the month building up to it, and don't recall a lot of response from ANY of the audiences in attendance. I know my fisrt thought was 'fuck sake, now they're just re-doing the fake Undertaker angle again but with only half the imagination.' At least when they did it with Taker, he's been gone for several months and they'd hyped the fact that he was gone, and then Ted Dibiase brought in a fake, and the real Taker put a stop to it. Kane's angle went very much like the one he's in now. It started off intriguing, with everyone talking and wondering what the hell May 19th was all about, much like the 'is he alive or dead' thing at the start of the current fued, and then it turned into something stupid. 'May 19th doesn't mean anything, but hey there's me! Ow!' much like 'Is he alive or dead? No he's alive because i didn't actually kill him....... I'm talking about Rey Mysterio by the way.'

How would i have done the Imposter Kane angle?.........

simple answer is, i wouldn't have, i'd have tried to come up with something that hadn't been done already.

I think the Imposter Kane angle was poorly done. The biggest problem with that whole angle was the crowd's reaction. The crowd was a little confused by the whole thing. I know I was a bit puzzled. Like a previous poster said, it was Fake Kane kicking ass the whole time until he got tossed out of the building one time and that was it? I think that was a metaphor for what they should have done with the idea in the first place, throw it right out the window or door...whichever was closer at the creative meeting. I was at the Raw in State College in June 06 which was the night after One Night Stand. Fake Kane and Kane had a battle on the ramp and I don't even remember what happened. It was just... I dunno. I really can't say anything about it anymore because it was just a really really bad idea.

Funny, cause i think one of the ways to bring kane back into the fold of entertainment, is to use the imposter kane thing again, This is why i think wwe should sign sid vicious, and there goes your new imposter kane, spend the better part of a year having kane stalked....Have it come to a end at Wrestlemania in a Career vs Mask match, either kane has to leave the wwe or the imposter kane has to lose the mask and show his real self....

I don't think an imposter Kane angle or even putting the mask on Kane again is gonna save his career. He wasn't to good to begin with but the gimmick(mask, monster, ect)helped cover his lack of wrestling skill, but now he is a bore in the ring and the gimmick sucks. Putting Kane in his full costume will help for a while but all the mystery is gone since we know what Kane looks like and stuff. Kane is just past his prime and will most likely be nothing but a jobber to the stars the rest of his career. As for the imposter Kane angle that happened a while back, I think it could have gone better and I think it should have been revealed that the "imposter" was actually the real Kane who still was scarred and hideous and that the unmasked Kane was the "real imposter". Than Glen Jacobs could go retire and than a newer younger my agile guy could use the Kane gimmick and maybe could bring it back to life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back