Imagine if Bret Hart never left WWF in 1997

Heisenberg

Dark Match Jobber
Imagine that for a second... Instead of leaving the WWF for the "greener ($) pastures" of WCW, imagine if Vince McMahon had decided to honor his contract with The Hitman. There are so many possibilities and great things that could have occured... It's fair to say that without the Montreal Screwjob, the evil Vince McMahon character would not have been born. But you can't tell me that at this point in time, Vince couldn't have figured out another way to turn into THE major heel. And also, the Screwjob could have occured the exact same way that it did, minus the WCW insinuation, and just have Vince screw Bret, turning Bret babyface again in the process... Could have continued his feud with HBK over the title while Austin healed his neck.... Also, The Hart Foundation would have never been dismantled, with Bulldog & Owen going their separate ways. (Side note: Bret wouldn't have let them turn Owen into the Blue Blazer again).... But to the bigger point, the matches... Imagine those possibilities... Bret & Austin already had a legendary rivalry, they could have had so many more amazing matches. Bret & Owen deserved another feud with each other. Bret &
Shawn. Bret & Undertaker.... Bret & Kane.... Bret & Mankind/Foley. Matches against the up and comers HHH & The Rock... A dream match we never got to see vs Kurt Angle..... I know this is long winded, but their were so many feuds that could have occured that could have kept things even that much more fresh, a completely legitimate Main Event player, that meant infinitely more to the WWF than he ever could to WCW.

The whole point of this being, it's a damn shame the way Bret's legendary WWF career came to an end. He had so much more to give and was arguably at his peak as a heel when he left. So much wasted potential.

Best didn’t fit in the AE and Vince would’ve turned heel anyway. Had Bret stayed, he’d likely face Shamrock at WM14 and then feud with Austin instead of Foley. I suspect he drops down the card after that.

If Bret wasn't going to WCW, then Vince wouldn't need to take the title off him, and there would be no need for the screwjob (since the screwjob happened because Vince was paranoid that Bret would do an "Alundra Blayze" and drop the title in the trash on Nitro).

Bret would still have done the Hart Foundation thing for a while, and feuded with other talent that he hadn't met in the ring (Bret v Mankind or Bret v The Rock) would have been enticing.

Bret would have been against the whole "Attitude Era" and edgy TV, and would have been vocal about it, so what I could have seen happening is that Bret would bemoan "The Attitude Era" (thus making him remain a heel, since the fans wanted the Attitude Era) and would have played a self-righteous, judgmental Bible-thumper who says that "WWE is going to hell for its sins".

"Stone Cold" Steve Austin, the cornerstone of the AE, would have been targeted by the Hart Foundation, and I think Bret would have played the "Mr McMahon" role to Austin, since Bret would be trying to clean up wrestling and "Stone Cold"'s image. So I could see their feud going much longer, and it be Austin v Hart, rather than Austin v McMahon.

Also, DX would have been in Hart's sight, since they also did tawdry stuff. It might have lead to a DX v Hart Foundation feud, and have different members feud with each other.

But one thing I figured out the other day. If Bret's contract had been honored in WWE, then it would have expired in 2016. Bret had a stroke and a motorcycle accident, so he wouldn't have wrestled his entire contract anyway, and would have to be a manager, or work in another area in WWE, since his career would be over (I know if Bret hadn't gone to WCW, then Goldberg wouldn't have ended his career, but multiple strokes and the motorbike accident would have). He might have managed Natalya.

Also, I wonder if Owen would have been alive if Bret had stayed, since I don't think Bret would have allowed the stunt at OTE '99 to happen.

If Bret hadn’t have left it would have been him who put over Steve Austin at WrestleMania XIV.

What’s most sad to me is the matches Bret could have had with the guys who made it big later or arrived in the company. Bret Hart vs Kurt Angle would have possibly (on paper anyway) been the greatest match of all time.

Evil Vince was coming anyway and would have worked just as effectively without the screw job cause he angle was that the boss didn’t want Steve Austin as his Champion in his company.

There’s also thought that Bret maybe never would have had the stroke. Stress adds to the risk of strokes and Bret has his fair share of stress thanks to Montreal and the things that happened after.

If Bret hadn’t have left it would have been him who put over Steve Austin at WrestleMania XIV.

What’s most sad to me is the matches Bret could have had with the guys who made it big later or arrived in the company. Bret Hart vs Kurt Angle would have possibly (on paper anyway) been the greatest match of all time.

Evil Vince was coming anyway and would have worked just as effectively without the screw job cause he angle was that the boss didn’t want Steve Austin as his Champion in his company.

There’s also thought that Bret maybe never would have had the stroke. Stress adds to the risk of strokes and Bret has his fair share of stress thanks to Montreal and the things that happened after.

Plans for Austin for HBK were set in the Spring of 1997 and all over the dirtsheets. I do wish Bret faced Angle.

If Bret wasn't going to WCW, then Vince wouldn't need to take the title off him, and there would be no need for the screwjob (since the screwjob happened because Vince was paranoid that Bret would do an "Alundra Blayze" and drop the title in the trash on Nitro).

Bret would still have done the Hart Foundation thing for a while, and feuded with other talent that he hadn't met in the ring (Bret v Mankind or Bret v The Rock) would have been enticing.

Bret would have been against the whole "Attitude Era" and edgy TV, and would have been vocal about it, so what I could have seen happening is that Bret would bemoan "The Attitude Era" (thus making him remain a heel, since the fans wanted the Attitude Era) and would have played a self-righteous, judgmental Bible-thumper who says that "WWE is going to hell for its sins".

"Stone Cold" Steve Austin, the cornerstone of the AE, would have been targeted by the Hart Foundation, and I think Bret would have played the "Mr McMahon" role to Austin, since Bret would be trying to clean up wrestling and "Stone Cold"'s image. So I could see their feud going much longer, and it be Austin v Hart, rather than Austin v McMahon.

Also, DX would have been in Hart's sight, since they also did tawdry stuff. It might have lead to a DX v Hart Foundation feud, and have different members feud with each other.

But one thing I figured out the other day. If Bret's contract had been honored in WWE, then it would have expired in 2016. Bret had a stroke and a motorcycle accident, so he wouldn't have wrestled his entire contract anyway, and would have to be a manager, or work in another area in WWE, since his career would be over (I know if Bret hadn't gone to WCW, then Goldberg wouldn't have ended his career, but multiple strokes and the motorbike accident would have). He might have managed Natalya.

Also, I wonder if Owen would have been alive if Bret had stayed, since I don't think Bret would have allowed the stunt at OTE '99 to happen.

HBK vs Austin was planned well before Bret left. Bret would’ve lost the title to Shawn anyway. Bret would not have played a religious character as it wouldn’t even remotely fit him. He’d put over others before dropping down the card while whining about the AE. Vince would’ve wanted him to leave at some point anyway.

Plans for Austin for HBK were set in the Spring of 1997 and all over the dirtsheets. I do wish Bret faced Angle.

All I’ll say to that is plans change and don’t believe everything you read in the dirt sheets.

HBK vs Austin was planned well before Bret left. Bret would’ve lost the title to Shawn anyway. Bret would not have played a religious character as it wouldn’t even remotely fit him. He’d put over others before dropping down the card while whining about the AE. Vince would’ve wanted him to leave at some point anyway.

Again don’t believe everything you read in the dirt sheets. The dirt sheets downright make stuff up. They were saying Hogan & Flair was originally planned for Starrcade and not Bash at the Beach but Bischoff pointed out that was bullshit. Also don’t forget Bret himself was told he and Shawn were going to Mania XIV.

That last part is you speculating.

As mentioned above, Steve/Shawn was already penciled in for WM14. I think it was the way to go. Shawn was the hottest heel in the company and Bret was ready for a complete face turn as USA/Canada came to a close at survivor series 1997.

After Survivor Series, Austin would start to feud with the Rock. When Austin forfeited the ic title after winning the royal rumble, I would have a battle royal for the ic title with Bret Hart winning it. Rock’s Nation and Bret’s Hart foundation would feud in early 1998.

That would set up a program between face Bret Hart and heel Rock. That Rock would beat Bret for the title at wrestle mania solidifying the Rocks 1998 push.

Bret doesn’t fit well into the AE and I have trouble inserting him into the scene in the summer of 98. Bret, Bulldog, and Owen would be lower card six man tag or Bret gets some time off for the summer like he did in 1996.

When Rock wins the title at Survivor series 1998, Bret is reinserted into the main event picture as a face to go up against the corporation. The corporation feuds with Dx, Austin, and also the Harts. Bret has matches with Triple H/Austin/Rock throughout the end of 1998.

Bret finally gets another title shot in early 1999 against Rock and Owen and Bulldog turn on Bret costing him the title. Bret feuds with both of them through early 1999. The Hart Foundation vs Owen and Bulldog would be set for Saint Valentines day Massacre. Bret's Wrestlemania 15 match would be with Owen. Bret gets the win.

In the spring/summer of 1999, Bret starts a program with Kurt Angle. They work semi main event of summer slam 1999 with Angle getting the win.

Bret gets a mini program with Triple H in the fall of 1999 putting him over on ppv. Bret is inserted into the survivor series 1999 main event instead of Big Show getting the win and the world title.

Bret and Angle work a submission match at the December ppv for the title. Angle taps to Bret.

Bret drops the title back to Triple H on Raw.

Bret and Angle each have a win on one another. This sets the rubber match for Wrestlemania 2000. Bret puts over Angle and retires to take on the backstage roll he wanted.

EDIT: I realize my timeline with Angle is off and this would push his debut up 3 months. I think this could still be done. Summerslam 99 really needed another top match with Rock/Billy Gunn not delivering. Bret as champion and Bret/Angle 2 is huge step up from Show/Bossman. Angle being taken out of the triple threat at WM2000 would leave Jericho vs. Benoit and Hart vs Angle, two much needed one on one matches from that ppv.

Last edited:
Yeah, the worked "screw job" wouldn't have happened. Bret would have stayed upper mid-card lower main card. Probably continued with his whiny character

For those saying that Austin vs Michaels at Mania was planned months in advance let’s not forget that Mania plans change all the time and as we know from various reports Vince would often promise wrestlers matches at mania and then change plans. Bret himself on the Bret Shawn Rivalry sit down told that he was going to Main Event Mania with Shawn.

There are plenty of examples in then been thread that’s just been created too. Some of which were planned right up until a few months before.

As for saying Bret doesn’t fit the attitude era or speculating on what he may have done had he stayed. Fact is we just don’t know.

I guess I would have seen Bret remaining in that top heel spot, playing the role that would be Triple H's for the duration of the Attitude Era. Or basically being a second main event's heel while Hunter worked in the other. It definitely would have kept the variety of angles fresh for longer, I would have loved to see Bret work a return program with Stone Cold, maybe after the luster wore off of the Austin/McMahon feud. Bret Vs. Jericho or Vs. Angle would have been great programs too. Even Bret and Angle as a potential new heel tag-team continuing on the theme of having wholesome values like with the Hart Foundation/DX Canada Vs. USA undertone. The two of them working Mankind & Rock on that premise would have been entertaining.

Last edited:
Following!this seems like a very interesting thread
o.png

It never would have worked. Brett was a technical mastermind in the ring no doubt. But his charisma sucked. That's why they turned him heel in the first place and turned Austin and HBK face. Because those guys had charisma. Fans wanted to cheer for them. Only Canadians would cheer for Brett because he was their hometown hero.

Well, I think the obvious answer (especially given what we know now) is that Bret v Austin @ Wrestlemania 14 would have been WAY better than HBK v Austin.

After that, it would be time for Bret to turn babyface again. Let the Hart Foundation implode, maybe Bret teams up with Austin to take out Owen & Davey.

After that, I would have loved to have seen Brett be put in an actual feud with either Undertaker or Mick Foley. Like, an actual storyline... It seemed like every time Bret and Undertaker faced each other it was to set up Taker's feud with either Diesel or HBK.

I still think Shawn would have still went over, maybe not at Survivor Series but certainly by the Royal Rumble.

Shawn still does the job for Austin at WrestleMania while The Hitman takes on Shamrock, possibly in another submission match, remember Shamrock was referee for Hart v Austin at WM13.

I think Hart would have eventually lost clean to Austin at one of the major ppv's in 1998 or possibly 99 for the title.

A face turn at some stage after putting over Austin, maybe even a short alliance with The Rattlesnake up against The Rock, Undertaker, Corporation etc.

I think Bret Hart would have probably been the first guy to take on the part-time/special attraction role that we have seen with others.

He more or less accepted that he didn't have too many more years in the tank with wrestling a full-time schedule.

The way things were going before survivor series, Bret would have drop the belt to somebody before the end of the year anyway. Bret was really great in the heel/babyface role he was playing at the time but his feud with Austin was already pretty much played out and i doubt that they would i went with another match between the 2 at mania.

So i think what would have happened is that he would have drop the title probably at the In your house ppv following survivor series to ken shamrock, who would in turn drop the belt to HBK at the rumble for shawn to put Austin over at mania.

As for the rest of Bret career, he probably would have lasted a year or 2 in the company until he saw that the product was becoming to raunchy and didn't want anything to do with wrestling for the company and probably would have retire and took some sort of backstage job for the company. He also probably would have protected his brother owen to make sure he still was well treated and not push in doing stupid shit. So basically, i think that if Bret didn'T leave WWE the way he did, Owen would be alive today.

you know the one thing that wouldnt have happened if there wasnt a screw job?

Burt hurt would not have spent a decade and a half complaining that He got screwed By vince before coming back for a hall of fame induction and those big network dollars?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back