• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

I'm Thinking About Buying a Tablet

I won't argue. I don't have one myself, but my cousin has had one for years and has never had a problem. He absolutely loves it and being a programmer that is very picky and knowledgeable about all things computers, that's something.

They have their uses. If you noticed earlier, I suggested one. But unless you get a good one, they're usually not worth it. And if you get a good one, you can probably buy a laptop for that money.
I can only assume the tablet is better, but I'm sure the Nook Color is just as good for the things it can do. So now I'm watching the correct review and I still like it.
The tablet is much more powerful, but the hacking for it isn't nearly as advanced yet.

You wouldn't by any chance have a link to a website with great instructions it and provides me with the place I have to get the rooting software from?
If you buy one and want to do it, let me know. I had to read several different websites to figure out what's going on, and now that I know, it's ridiculous that no website provided a simple way to do it. I'll just direct you to the simple way to do it.

Android wouldn't by any chance have some sort of website like jailbreakme.com that would just do it automatically?
Not that I'm aware of, since there is so much fragmentation amongst various devices

The tablet is much more powerful, but the hacking for it isn't nearly as advanced yet.

If you buy one and want to do it, let me know. I had to read several different websites to figure out what's going on, and now that I know, it's ridiculous that no website provided a simple way to do it. I'll just direct you to the simple way to do it.

Well I just purchased the one in the link so if possible, yes please I'll take the link.

Well I just purchased the one in the link so if possible, yes please I'll take the link.

The first thing you need to do is buy a Sandisk Class 4 MicroSD card. I have an 8GB and it works great.

The second thing you need to do is decide if you want to root or if you want to flash a custom ROM. Rooting the device means you have full control over the device, like an Administrator on Windows. However, you're still using the Barnes and Noble version of Android. Flashing a custom ROM means you have a generic version of Android (though you'll have 2.3 instead of the 2.2 kernel B&N uses). I started by rooting, but then went to a custom ROM after a Barnes and Noble update removed my root access.

If you do decide on using a custom ROM, the third thing you'll need to do is decide if you want to run the custom ROM from the MicroSD card, or if you want to install the ROM to the internal memory. If you're unsure what you want to do, I recommend running from the memory card for a while, until you are sure it's what you want to do.

Accomplish those things, and let me know.

The first thing you need to do is buy a Sandisk Class 4 MicroSD card. I have an 8GB and it works great.

The second thing you need to do is decide if you want to root or if you want to flash a custom ROM. Rooting the device means you have full control over the device, like an Administrator on Windows. However, you're still using the Barnes and Noble version of Android. Flashing a custom ROM means you have a generic version of Android (though you'll have 2.3 instead of the 2.2 kernel B&N uses). I started by rooting, but then went to a custom ROM after a Barnes and Noble update removed my root access.

If you do decide on using a custom ROM, the third thing you'll need to do is decide if you want to run the custom ROM from the MicroSD card, or if you want to install the ROM to the internal memory. If you're unsure what you want to do, I recommend running from the memory card for a while, until you are sure it's what you want to do.

Accomplish those things, and let me know.

I already got an 8GB Sandisk Micro SD Card. When I bought my current phone it came with it but I just put in the one I had on my previous phone. So that's covered.

Right now, if I can do all of the things I'm thinking I can like install swype, use widgets, etc. then I'm probably going to go for the rooting. Maybe later on when I've used it with the rooting for a while, I'll think about doing the other option just try out something new and see what I like better.

Right now, if I can do all of the things I'm thinking I can like install swype, use widgets, etc. then I'm probably going to go for the rooting. Maybe later on when I've used it with the rooting for a while, I'll think about doing the other option just try out something new and see what I like better.
Okay, then I'll have to do some research, I haven't rooted the 1.4 update. And for Swype, you'll have to sign up for it, and receive the download link in an e-mail.

Okay, then I'll have to do some research, I haven't rooted the 1.4 update. And for Swype, you'll have to sign up for it, and receive the download link in an e-mail.

I already signed up for it when I had to do it for my phone. So that's set too. I guess the only thing left is to root it whenever I receive it?

The Metro UI looks terrible, and implentation with UEFI is kind of scary. But as long as users can unlock the UEFI and Metro can be turned off permanently, I don't see anything special about it, good or bad.

It is worth noting, however, that according to Microsoft history, Windows 8 will suck. They usually have shitty OS release, then good OS release, shitty OS release, then good OS release. Windows 3.1 was good, Windows 95 was shitty. Windows 98 was good (for the time), ME was shitty. XP was phenomenal (and still in heavy use after ten years), Vista was shitty, and W7 was good.

So, keeping in mind Metro and UEFI, it's not looking good for Windows 8.

You don't like the Metro UI? I think it's very sleek and easy to programme for. Plus, Metro is only really going to be used for the Start screen. I like how you can run two apps, side by side. That's a very neat feature. The desktop is still the same desktop we are used with just a few minor improvements right? UEFI is a problem but, it's easy to unlock which is fine by me. I think the real probem with Windows 8, is going to be for those that don't have a touch screen. It's going to look a bit awkward... Stil though, I like how Microsoft have tried to appeal to the casual owner with the Metro interface but kept the basic raw windows too. I like Winodows 8, and I'll probably wait for a few reviews before buying a Windows 8 tablet.

Anyway, Sly you should have a spam techonology thread where we can all ask you stuff. Just an idea.

¡Roján!;3730280 said:
You don't like the Metro UI?
It's hideous. Besides that, why would I want the same UI for my 25" 1920x1080 monitor that I have on a 10" tablet? That is just mind boggling stupid.

Plus, Metro is only really going to be used for the Start screen.
I hate cluttered desktop. My desktop on all my machines is Recycle Bin, Firefox and maybe one or two other icons that I need for that time period. Once I know longer need the shortcut, I get rid of it.

I like how you can run two apps, side by side. That's a very neat feature.
Don't see the benefit on a desktop.

I don't have a problem with the Metro on a tablet (though I still think it's hideous to look at and don't see myself buying a Windows tablet anytime soon), but it's the desktop that Metro is completely ridiculous.

The desktop is still the same desktop we are used with just a few minor improvements right?
Except with Metro...

UEFI is a problem but, it's easy to unlock which is fine by me.
Only if you have the keys to unlock it. If you don't, then it's not possible. That's the whole point of it.

Anyway, Sly you should have a spam techonology thread where we can all ask you stuff. Just an idea.
Not a bad idea, but I'd probably lose interest in it and it would die.

¡Roján!;3728312 said:
The Kindle Fire is very cool, but I'd still go with the Asus Transformer TF101. It comes with a massive 16 hour battery life.

P_500.jpg

I want this one.

Interesting.
I've thought about a table for work use. It would be a much easier way to carry around pt info in the clinic rather than always having to use a folder full of notes from their individual charts.
I would definitely prefer the 7" form factor. A ROM'd Nook Color/Tablet may be a quick and easy solution.

It's hideous. Besides that, why would I want the same UI for my 25" 1920x1080 monitor that I have on a 10" tablet? That is just mind boggling stupid.

I hate cluttered desktop. My desktop on all my machines is Recycle Bin, Firefox and maybe one or two other icons that I need for that time period. Once I know longer need the shortcut, I get rid of it.

Don't see the benefit on a desktop.

I don't have a problem with the Metro on a tablet (though I still think it's hideous to look at and don't see myself buying a Windows tablet anytime soon), but it's the desktop that Metro is completely ridiculous.

Except with Metro...

The only part of Sly's post that I might disagree with even a little bit is about why I wouldn't want the same UI...if the UI was like the standard desktop environments 90% of the world's computer users are familiar with, I have no problem with it. I like the idea of only having to learn one OS for all your devices. Microsoft just picked the wrong one. Rather have a desktop UI on a tablet than a tablet UI on a desktop. Metro is FUGLY. If I get a PC with Windows 8, the first thing I will do is go back to standard desktop mode.

The idea of Metro is cool...it's the actual implementation that sucks. Surely there is a better way to have a hybrid PC/Tablet OS without those godawful tiles they have going on.

So my tablet is set to arrive today, within an hour or less actually. Once I have it, should I immediately start with rooting it or do I need to configure some sort of settings first?

If you're just rooting it, you can play with it and change whatever settings you want. After rooting it, the only thing that will change is the additional things you can do...let me take a little time and figure out the easiest way to get you going.

First thing you need to do is to tell me what software version is on there right now. It's in your Settings somewhere.

If you haven't yet, register your Nook Color with Barnes and Noble. If you can, register it with a G Mail account.

No problem.

Next, go ahead and start downloading the things you'll need.

Clockwork Recovery Mod: dl.dropbox.com/u/16939153/NookColor/8gb_clockwork-3.2.0.1.rar

Image Writer (pick the version matching your version of Windows): https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download

ManualNooter (need both versions from Step 1): http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1054027

For the last one, I couldn't get just the link for the downloads, so you'll have to scroll a little bit down the first post to find them. You want to download both ManualNooter ManualNooter-4-5-18.zip and ManualNooter-4-6-16.zip.

Once you've downloaded everything, extract JUST the Image Writer program. Leave everything else as a .zip file.

Alright, I've downloaded the first one. For the second one though, how will I know which one matches my version of Windows?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back