• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

I'm Thinking About Buying a Tablet

SavageTaker

Everybody Has A Price!
I'm just not sure which one I should get. I like the HTC Flyer because I would probably know how to use most of it immediately since my phone has HTC Sense too and I like that it can take notes. I found it for $229 refurbished but the stylus to take notes with would cost an additional $65 plus shipping. So I'm not too convinced about it. I was also considering the Kindle Fire but I'm not 100% sure. An iPad is completely out of my budget so that's definitely a no.

Does anyone here own a table they would recommend that costs less than $360? What do you guys think?

The tablet I'm currently using is a tablet-laptop hybrid called the Asus Transformer TF101. It's said to freeze less and be one of the best android tablets out there. I think it goes for around $400 with the keyboard, though I'm not sure due to conversion rates.

Or... you could just go with the Slyfox-approved Nook hack which would only set you back about $110.

I was thinking about the Nook as well after I read Sly's thread and saw it refurbished for almost a $150. But I'm really liking the Kindle Fire right now.

I was thinking about the Nook as well after I read Sly's thread and saw it refurbished for almost a $150. But I'm really liking the Kindle Fire right now.

The Kindle Fire is very cool, but I'd still go with the Asus Transformer TF101. It comes with a massive 16 hour battery life.

P_500.jpg

I'm just not sure which one I should get. I like the HTC Flyer because I would probably know how to use most of it immediately since my phone has HTC Sense too and I like that it can take notes. I found it for $229 refurbished but the stylus to take notes with would cost an additional $65 plus shipping. So I'm not too convinced about it. I was also considering the Kindle Fire but I'm not 100% sure. An iPad is completely out of my budget so that's definitely a no.

Does anyone here own a table they would recommend that costs less than $360? What do you guys think?

Before deciding what to buy, you have to know WHY you're buying it. Why are you buying a tablet?

Before deciding what to buy, you have to know WHY you're buying it. Why are you buying a tablet?

Well, I want something I can takes notes on, read books on and something that is sort of like a portable laptop. Also, I think it would be better to use this instead of carrying my laptop around. For example, when I'm at work and it's slow I could just use a tablet to keep me entertained with the internet (I can use my phone as a hotspot). And there's just so many other features that are better used on a tablet than on my Android phone like watching movies.

Well, I want something I can takes notes on, read books on and something that is sort of like a portable laptop. Also, I think it would be better to use this instead of carrying my laptop around.
Tablets are terrible to take notes with, unless you have a keyboard. So you're not really gaining anything by carrying a tablet and keyboard compared to a laptop.

Tablets are like pet rocks. It's the craze right now, but too many people get one and then realize they don't really have a use for them. While I hate netbooks, if you're truly wanting to take notes, I'd suggest a netbook before a tablet. If you're just wanting the tablet for entertainment purposes, I love my Nook Color with CM7 on it.

Well I found a case that has a keyboard on it too so note taking wouldn't be a big problem. And I hate netbooks. Plus, a netbook wouldn't function like an eReader and wouldn't have all of the apps like a tablet does.

Well I found a case that has a keyboard on it too so note taking wouldn't be a big problem.
It makes it bigger.

And I hate netbooks.
Makes two of us.

Plus, a netbook wouldn't function like an eReader
It could. Have you ever used Calibre?

and wouldn't have all of the apps like a tablet does.
Uhh...there are more "apps" on Windows operating system than any other operating system.

Not trying to discourage you from a tablet, just make sure you're sure it's what you want. How about this?

www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-Refurbished...ating-System-Silver/19592271?findingMethod=rr

I think you can also get a docking station to go with it that includes a keyboard, which folds over like a laptop. My tech coordinator has something like this and he really likes it. His is Windows 7 though. Pretty certain it's this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-Icon...emium-Laptop-Tablet/16480617?findingMethod=rr

It makes it bigger.

How so?

It could. Have you ever used Calibre?

Not really.

Uhh...there are more "apps" on Windows operating system than any other operating system.

I meant apps like Angry Birds, etc.

Not trying to discourage you from a tablet, just make sure you're sure it's what you want. How about this?

www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-Refurbished...ating-System-Silver/19592271?findingMethod=rr

I think you can also get a docking station to go with it that includes a keyboard, which folds over like a laptop. My tech coordinator has something like this and he really likes it. His is Windows 7 though. Pretty certain it's this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-Icon...emium-Laptop-Tablet/16480617?findingMethod=rr

Is the dock like this one? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-Icon...emium-Laptop-Tablet/16480617?findingMethod=rr

I was actually looking into the Acer A100. I read good things about it and looks really nice but I'm not too sure about the Acer brand.

Because you're adding extra thickness to the case, and thus, to the tablet.

I meant apps like Angry Birds, etc.
There's a reason apps like that don't exist on a computer.

Isn't that the same link I posted?

I was actually looking into the Acer A100. I read good things about it and looks really nice but I'm not too sure about the Acer brand.
Acer's a decent brand.

Because you're adding extra thickness to the case, and thus, to the tablet.

Good point. But I would only be using it when I needed to take notes so it wouldn't be on there the whole time I'm using it.

Isn't that the same link I posted?

Yes it is. Sorry.

I was looking at a review for the Kindle Fire and it seems to be pretty good, but if I got it rooted I think it would be even better. I've never done that on a device though so I'm not too sure what the consequences of doing it are.

Also, I like how the Nook Tablet has all of the volume controls and stuff. It's also great that I can put an 8GB Card I have laying around in it. And for $150 refurbished, I don't think I can expect it to have everything the $400-$600 tablets have.

I was looking at a review for the Kindle Fire and it seems to be pretty good, but if I got it rooted I think it would be even better. I've never done that on a device though so I'm not too sure what the consequences of doing it are.
I've never messed around with a Kindle Fire, but I'm very leery of it. The whole point of the Fire is to tie you into the Amazon store. With the Nook, Barnes and Noble have shown several times they're interested in the buyer getting exactly what they want out of it, even if it means running a custom ROM on it.

As far as rooting it, it's not really that big of a deal. Most manufacturer's will say it voids the warranty, but, at least with the Nook Color, you can do a hard reset on the tablet and restore it to the stock version, so no one would ever know you rooted it.

Also, I like how the Nook Tablet has all of the volume controls and stuff. It's also great that I can put an 8GB Card I have laying around in it. And for $150 refurbished, I don't think I can expect it to have everything the $400-$600 tablets have.
I have the Nook Color (the older version), and it doesn't have a camera or microphone. But other than that, it's a fully functioning Android 2.3 tablet. I can install all apps I want from the Android Marketplace (including things like Netflix, Angry Birds, Youtube, etc.), I can listen to streaming media, I can still install the B&N app...for what I want, it's the best tablet I could get.

I've never messed around with a Kindle Fire, but I'm very leery of it. The whole point of the Fire is to tie you into the Amazon store. With the Nook, Barnes and Noble have shown several times they're interested in the buyer getting exactly what they want out of it, even if it means running a custom ROM on it.

As far as rooting it, it's not really that big of a deal. Most manufacturer's will say it voids the warranty, but, at least with the Nook Color, you can do a hard reset on the tablet and restore it to the stock version, so no one would ever know you rooted it.

The main reason I wouldn't want to root it is so that I don't take the risk in having it bricked.

I have the Nook Color (the older version), and it doesn't have a camera or microphone. But other than that, it's a fully functioning Android 2.3 tablet. I can install all apps I want from the Android Marketplace (including things like Netflix, Angry Birds, Youtube, etc.), I can listen to streaming media, I can still install the B&N app...for what I want, it's the best tablet I could get.

Does the newer version have those features? This is the one I saw:http://www.buy.com/pr/SellerListings.aspx?sku=221376447

I'm not sure if that's an old or new version. Having access to the Android Market is another thing making me lean towards the Nook. I'm assuming that you'd still be able to have the Amazon apps on there? That's where I get my music from and other things so that would be beneficial. Can I install Swype on it? Can I have widgets and customize the pages like I would an Android phone?

Sorry about all of the questions, but I want to make sure I'm getting the right device.

The main reason I wouldn't want to root it is so that I don't take the risk in having it bricked.
I haven't researched either the Fire or the Nook Tablet, but it's impossible to brick the Nook Color. Since they built in the hard reset by button press, it's impossible to brick.

Does the newer version have those features? This is the one I saw:http://www.buy.com/pr/SellerListings.aspx?sku=221376447

I'm not sure if that's an old or new version.
That's the old Nook Color. The new Nook is the Nook Tablet. It's pretty hot, but I'm not sure if CM9 is fully stable or not.

Having access to the Android Market is another thing making me lean towards the Nook. I'm assuming that you'd still be able to have the Amazon apps on there? That's where I get my music from and other things so that would be beneficial. Can I install Swype on it? Can I have widgets and customize the pages like I would an Android phone?
All of the answers to that is "yes" (which reminds me, I need to update my Swype on there), but only after you root it, or flash a custom ROM. Which isn't too difficult, with the right set of instructions.

Sorry about all of the questions, but I want to make sure I'm getting the right device.
No problem, I love technology.

All of the answers to that is "yes" (which reminds me, I need to update my Swype on there), but only after you root it, or flash a custom ROM. Which isn't too difficult, with the right set of instructions.

To be clear, I'm referring to the Nook Color, not the Nook Tablet.

Might I inquire as to why you guys hate Netbooks?
It's this generation's e-machines. They're unstable, made with inferior products, minimal RAM, and only starter editions of Windows 7. They usually have cramped keyboards, poor processors, and I'd rather have a lightweight laptop.

I won't argue. I don't have one myself, but my cousin has had one for years and has never had a problem. He absolutely loves it and being a programmer that is very picky and knowledgeable about all things computers, that's something.

I haven't researched either the Fire or the Nook Tablet, but it's impossible to brick the Nook Color. Since they built in the hard reset by button press, it's impossible to brick.

That's perfect then.

That's the old Nook Color. The new Nook is the Nook Tablet. It's pretty hot, but I'm not sure if CM9 is fully stable or not.

I can only assume the tablet is better, but I'm sure the Nook Color is just as good for the things it can do. So now I'm watching the correct review and I still like it.

You wouldn't by any chance have a link to a website with great instructions it and provides me with the place I have to get the rooting software from? Android wouldn't by any chance have some sort of website like jailbreakme.com that would just do it automatically?

I love technology too but probably in a different sense than you. I don't know what a lot of the things regarding software are or do. I just know or learn to use them and what they can do for me.

¡Roján!;3729393 said:
Sly, Windows 8, yay or nay? I'm yay-ing in anticipation.

The Metro UI looks terrible, and implentation with UEFI is kind of scary. But as long as users can unlock the UEFI and Metro can be turned off permanently, I don't see anything special about it, good or bad.

It is worth noting, however, that according to Microsoft history, Windows 8 will suck. They usually have shitty OS release, then good OS release, shitty OS release, then good OS release. Windows 3.1 was good, Windows 95 was shitty. Windows 98 was good (for the time), ME was shitty. XP was phenomenal (and still in heavy use after ten years), Vista was shitty, and W7 was good.

So, keeping in mind Metro and UEFI, it's not looking good for Windows 8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back