• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

I'm no Cena mark but give this guy some damn credit!!

Moose70nyc

Dark Match Jobber

Every time I read comments or threads, a ton of you people bash John Cena. Granted his character is stale and played out, he should not be on the shit end of the stick every time. He puts on very good matches with guys that are talented. Tonight against Cesaro, he kept up with him, and matched him move for move at times. That goes the same when he fights Orton, Punk, Brian etc. He is on the road 250+ shows a year wrestling and all these media appearances, Make A Wish and so on. You know why he has a limited move set? He is WWEs cash cow! They have to protect the guy as much as possible. Hes a well above average wrestler with a bigger moveset than what you see

Remember the Rock in 1997. Great wrestler. 2 years later, his moveset is cut down dramatically. He was a huge moneymaker, he had to be protected as well. Im not saying Cena and the Rock are super technicians in the Ring. But Cena deserves alot more credit instead of you people bashing him. I hope to see the guy lose everytime out, but you know when he is in the ring, with an equal he will put on a very good match. Not many botches and occasional higj flying move. Submissions.

He isnt the best but he certainly isnt the worst. Whatdya you guys think???

I would think (or hope) that people respect John Cena the man and are only booing John Cena the character that he has little control over.

In addition to all the physical toll of just being a pro wrestler, you add on the gimmick matches due to him being a top draw, plus him working 300 + matches a year, plus him constantly doing media appearances, interviews, etc. Still manages to be decent on the mic and in ring. Always has a smile on his face and doing the most Make A Wish stuff. Loyal to his company and works hard.

Can't be mad at him, only frustrated with the shitty creative direction of the WWE. I understand they have stockholders and shit. But I think the perfect mix was 06-07. It wasn't 1998 but they also weren't going out of their way to neuter content of promos and angles. I'd blame Benoit, WWE going public, and Linda's political dabbling before I place any blame on Cena.

Have nothing but respect for homie. Great guy. Stale character and shitty booking.

Cena has a ton of control over the people who boo him. They boo him like people used to boo heels. Cena will be looked at very favorably in the future once everyone realizes how he worked everyone. If you spend hours on a message board, make signs, buy a ticket, and make noise saying how much you hate his character...you're a mark. He's working you. I've been saying this for years and he's damn good in the ring. He tells stories. Plus if you turn him heel, he gets an inverse reaction and probably costs WWE tens of millions of dollars that year.

The people who constantly hate on cena are just the typical bandwagon wrestling fan...These are the same people who only started caring about cm punk when he talked about ice cream bars...real WWE fans can see the guy has alot on his shoulders and is this generations hulk hogan...he's better then hogan ever was actually....The only time I ever booed cena was when he went against The Rock but I had to make a loyalty call on that feud.

Im thinking that Cena may deserve the name Mr Monday Nights by the time his career is over. Cena vs Michaels, Cena vs Punk, Cena vs Sandow, Cena vs Cesaro, im pretty sure im missing some BUT is there anyone with a Raw awesome match resume as big as Cena's? I never was a fan of his but the guy can bring it when he needs too. He is good on the mic and has put on some amazing matches. I think that people dont like him because of his character being stale not because he isnt good. I admire what he does for make a wish and the fact that he is a good role model for kids. Cena 100% has earned my respect.

I would think (or hope) that people respect John Cena the man and are only booing John Cena the character that he has little control over.

In addition to all the physical toll of just being a pro wrestler, you add on the gimmick matches due to him being a top draw, plus him working 300 + matches a year, plus him constantly doing media appearances, interviews, etc. Still manages to be decent on the mic and in ring. Always has a smile on his face and doing the most Make A Wish stuff. Loyal to his company and works hard.

Can't be mad at him, only frustrated with the shitty creative direction of the WWE. I understand they have stockholders and shit. But I think the perfect mix was 06-07. It wasn't 1998 but they also weren't going out of their way to neuter content of promos and angles. I'd blame Benoit, WWE going public, and Linda's political dabbling before I place any blame on Cena.

Have nothing but respect for homie. Great guy. Stale character and shitty booking.

I agree in part but he certainly does have control over his character he's the number 1 guy for nearly 12years i would think he has alot of control over what happens to his character and he could certainly insist he wasn't so lame. and his promo's are entirely him not creative telling him o spout crap that bores everyone and he certainly has control over his lack of ability to sell for the past 12 years thats never changed, his overally ability is ok for the spot he's in don't get me wrong but he only seems to sell adequately when he's actually injured not when he's meant to be injured in storyline.

And watching the snippets from the Diva's show Cena is a control freak and a prick in his home life that woulda done damage to his image and a side that most didn't know about, so even more so now people haven't something to hold against him.

in summary, respects the guys work ethic and his ability to cater to the kids and young families but hate the character, it's your god given right to have an opinion, if he wants peoples opinion to change he has to do something about it, he's proved he can when he was going toe to toe on the mic with The Rock but usually he's not

Im thinking that Cena may deserve the name Mr Monday Nights by the time his career is over. Cena vs Michaels, Cena vs Punk, Cena vs Sandow, Cena vs Cesaro, im pretty sure im missing some BUT is there anyone with a Raw awesome match resume as big as Cena's? I never was a fan of his but the guy can bring it when he needs too. He is good on the mic and has put on some amazing matches. I think that people dont like him because of his character being stale not because he isnt good. I admire what he does for make a wish and the fact that he is a good role model for kids. Cena 100% has earned my respect.

Michaels, Undertaker, Austin, Triple H, The Rock they've all battled the biggest names of there era and past era's on RAW and all of those guys have put on far better matches especially Michaels that rarely had a stinker, Cena is as good as the guy on the other end, if they stink he stinks, the former guys could make anyone look great otherwise i agree.

I agree in part but he certainly does have control over his character he's the number 1 guy for nearly 12years i would think he has alot of control over what happens to his character and he could certainly insist he wasn't so lame. and his promo's are entirely him not creative telling him o spout crap that bores everyone and he certainly has control over his lack of ability to sell for the past 12 years thats never changed, his overally ability is ok for the spot he's in don't get me wrong but he only seems to sell adequately when he's actually injured not when he's meant to be injured in storyline.

And watching the snippets from the Diva's show Cena is a control freak and a prick in his home life that woulda done damage to his image and a side that most didn't know about, so even more so now people haven't something to hold against him.

in summary, respects the guys work ethic and his ability to cater to the kids and young families but hate the character, it's your god given right to have an opinion, if he wants peoples opinion to change he has to do something about it, he's proved he can when he was going toe to toe on the mic with The Rock but usually he's not
I don't watch the show, but most people have told me he has a very "professional" tone. Doesn't get upset, things logically. That whole paragraph there is pretty confusing. You say "watching snippets he is a control freak" insinuating that he is, then you say "woulda done damage to his image and a side that most don't know about' meaning that if he were a prick, it would do damage. then you say "so even more so now people haven't something to hold against him" which basically means now people don't have something to hold against him (have not something to hold against him). What do you mean? lol

I don't know John Cena. I don't watch his matches and I don't watch him promos.. Why would i give him credit?.

As far as I'm concerned, John Cena can kiss my pasty white ass.

Michaels, Undertaker, Austin, Triple H, The Rock they've all battled the biggest names of there era and past era's on RAW and all of those guys have put on far better matches especially Michaels that rarely had a stinker, Cena is as good as the guy on the other end, if they stink he stinks, the former guys could make anyone look great otherwise i agree.
completely disagree. Cena has brought pretty good matches out of Khali (if you look at the psychology of it), Umaga, and Batista. Guys generally seen as terrible. I think it's more a style thing you dislike. He has a versatility in match and psychology styles. He can go old school superman babyface vs monster (vs Khali), war brawl (vs Umaga), and Clash of the Titans (vs Batista) as well as the styles most people on here like (vs DB, vs HBK, vs Punk). This is just me though. I really feel he'll be more appreciated in 10-20 years when people are out of the trends of what and who is cool to like.

No cena is not a bad wrestler hebis not bad on the mic not in his personal appearances always puts on a smile is there every single day every show, i dnt think h has missed any make a wish request hes been asked to do that alone demands repect.

As far as my own personal opinion is concerned the cash cow that cena is going to run out of milk very soon if a change is not brought. Every wrestler that hs lasted as long as he has or more has had to change themselves in some way or the other hogan turned heel, undertaker has constantly added to his moveset and yes that american badass gimmick the rock same moveset for years but its only because we dont watch him every week helps him no doubt he is phenomenally talented but things do start to get stae you know doesnt mean he isnt repected its just that you can only generate the same level of respect doing the same thing for that long you have to evolve......

Its 2014, Cena has literally been playing the same character since 2005 without any change. Every other top guy in WWE had changes in their characters throughout the years. They added more dimensions to their characters,tunred heel/face multiple times etc but Cena has stayed the same whether its his promos or matches. So whether Cena puts on some good performances here and there, it doesn't really matter. Cena's character has become so stale at this point that most people hate him or don't really care about him anymore.

You know what I find funny, how everyone on here who hates on John Cena and says he can't wrestle, always says the reason it is a good match is because the other person carried Cena. Let's look at this, Swagger match was golden, CM Punk matches are golden, match against Daniel Bryan was one of the best matches ever, matches against The Rock was awesome, match against Shawn Michaels, Now John Cena vs Cesaro. People were chanting, This is Awesome! That is just to name a few matches. What is the common denominator? Cena is in the match. Look I am not saying he is an awesome wrestler, but obviously he is better than what people think. People hate on him because they want their golden boy, whoever that may be, to be on top.

Anyone who says Cena sucks/can't wrestle is an ignoramus (I'd normally use the r word but apparently it's against the rules), and knows nothing about professional wrestling. It's a fact that Cena is the best pro wrestler in the world today, you don't have to like him to know that.
Disagree? Then name one wrestler who is better than Cena... You know what, don't. I already know your answer. You're gonna name a) some worthless piece of sh** "technical wrestler" who does 859834543883 moves per match b) a spot monkey, or c) Daniel Bryan. Bryan is a phenomenal wrestler, but not the best.
A wrestler is supposed to put butts in seats, nothing more. Cena is the best at what he does. He's the top draw of the company and has been for quite some time. Fact. That's what makes him the best.

Cena has definitely earned my respect cuz of his love 4 da business and he has steadily improved n da ring. His character has grown stale and every promo is da same damn thing. I would like 4 him 2 b more intense and grow a mean streak specially if he never turns heel which i would love 2 c.

Whilst Daniel Bryan is the most over guy currently in the WWE.

The crowd was totally into the Cena-Cesaro match last night, and the "Let's go Cena" and "Cena sucks" chants were totally rocking the match.

As a long-time Cena fan, I agree his character is stale, but he gets the crowd going at all times from the time he arrives till the time he leaves.
That essentially means that he is doing his job perfectly, and at this point, there is Zero need for a heel turn or some sort of risky change that could hurt the company unneccessarily,lMO.

It was an awesome match last night. Cena has been delivering for some time. The "Cena can't wrestle" line is really outdated. Matches with Punk, Ryback, Del Rio, Sandow, Bryan, Orton and The Real Americans in the last year or so have been fantastic. He is doing it on TV and on PPV. His mic skills are awesome and he is a great face of the company.

The WWE need Cena and they need to build up enough superstars to compensate. There is a lot of talent - both established and young - and eventually they will need to find someone to replace Cena.

You know what I find funny, how everyone on here who hates on John Cena and says he can't wrestle, always says the reason it is a good match is because the other person carried Cena. Let's look at this, Swagger match was golden, CM Punk matches are golden, match against Daniel Bryan was one of the best matches ever, matches against The Rock was awesome, match against Shawn Michaels, Now John Cena vs Cesaro. People were chanting, This is Awesome! That is just to name a few matches. What is the common denominator? Cena is in the match. Look I am not saying he is an awesome wrestler, but obviously he is better than what people think. People hate on him because they want their golden boy, whoever that may be, to be on top.

I agree with this all the way. Everyone says Cena can only have his best matches when he has the right opponent lol CM Punk, Bryan, Edge, HBK, Cesaro, Sandow etc. The question is not how many people has Cena had his best match with it's how many people have had their best match with him? I've personally witness him give Cesaro, Sandow, Bryan, Punk, Edge, Umaga, Khali, JBL and a plethora THEIR best singles matches in WWE. Cena has consistently proven he's one of if not the best in the business. the people who hate him, hate him because it's cool or whatever. The character is stale eh I don't care either way but I know Cena entertains me every time he is on screen and that's more than I can say about 99% of the roster. Whether you hate or love him show this man some respect and cut out the Cena sucks, can't wrestle, can't cut a promo nonsense.

As corny as it sounds I admire Cena for several reasons. One, he ventures into shoots quite often during his segments. Two, he has remained the babyface character that he is because he doesn't want to let down his fans, particularly the younger ones which is admirable as corny as that sounds (I admired Sting for it as well). Three, he is fine with passing the torch and does not seem to let his ego or legacy get in the way of pushing new guys. Finally, he is an extremely physically athletic guy, and has a better move set than guys like Punk and Bryan who most you MARK all over yourselves for.

Every time I read comments or threads, a ton of you people bash John Cena.
Indeed, we do. We have our reasons. "Ton" is a little exaggeration though :lol:

Granted his character is stale and played out,
That's one of the reasons, yeah.

he should not be on the shit end of the stick every time. He puts on very good matches with guys that are talented.
Why shouldn't he be on "the shit end of the stick" if he can put on good matches only with talented guys that can carry him throughout the match, while he just does his usual set and walks away victorious, looking stronger than the other guy- who actually should be getting the credit?

Tonight against Cesaro, he kept up with him, and matched him move for move at times.
Why only at times? Why not for most of the match? Is he not capable enough? If he isn't, shouldn't he be getting criticism for that? Also, just keeping up isn't enough. They're professionals. Any guy in that roster (with exception of Khali and such) would have been able to keep up with Cesaro.

That goes the same when he fights Orton, Punk, Brian etc.
Orton vs Cena matches are seen as boring by almost everyone whose opinions I've read, and Brian and Punk carried him throughout their matches, so the credit should go more to them and less to Cena- who just... kept up. That is why one major question that arises during Cena vs Undertaker discussions is that "Who will carry the match?" Everyone knows that Cena won't be able to do much apart from his limited (5+2) moves, and Taker at this age would have to do most of the work.

He is on the road 250+ shows a year wrestling and all these media appearances, Make A Wish and so on.
Thats a different matter. Being on the road is part of the WWE lifestyle, and the charities that he does are no reason to not criticise his one-dimensional character and in-ring shortcomings.

You know why he has a limited move set? He is WWEs cash cow! They have to protect the guy as much as possible.
I don't agree with this reasoning. How can he injure himself by adding more moves to his moveset? Especially since he is a powerhouse and not a high-flyer...

Hes a well above average wrestler with a bigger moveset than what you see
A moveset is one that we see. Moves that he knows in his head but doesn't execute, cannot be a part of his "moveset". This is a bit similar to the Natalya situation- she KNOWS a lot of moves, but DOES very few of them. So its hard to give her credit for something she doesn't do anymore, or at all, for that matter.

Remember the Rock in 1997. Great wrestler. 2 years later, his moveset is cut down dramatically. He was a huge moneymaker, he had to be protected as well. Im not saying Cena and the Rock are super technicians in the Ring. But Cena deserves alot more credit instead of you people bashing him. I hope to see the guy lose everytime out, but you know when he is in the ring, with an equal he will put on a very good match. Not many botches and occasional higj flying move. Submissions.
He makes money for the WWE, not me. I cannot like him because of that. I want entertainment. And John Cena is not entertaining.
Not with an equal; but with a much better wrestler. A match with someone his level will be average in quality at best.
They are professionals, like drivers. They are not meant to botch. Those that do should be sent back to developmental. Only one submission move- STF. And the flying leg drop isn't much of a high-flying move compared to what wrestlers do these days.

He isnt the best but he certainly isnt the worst. Whatdya you guys think???
I'll say the same thing I messaged you via rep (I shouldn't have sent that negative rep, should have just said it here)
He may not be the worst in the WWE , but just like credit should be given where it is due, criticism too has the same criteria. Most of the bashing that he gets is well justified. We expect more from someone whom we have to watch throughout the year, defeating almost everyone he faces and standing on top at the culmination of the feud. Reasons more than that he grants wishes or makes millions for his boss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back