• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

I'm A Mark Henry Fan

I'd always heard that Vader was stiff in the ring but I heard he liked people to be stiff back to him. I've also heard that the majority of the bad blood between Vince and Vader was always to do with Vaders weight which, to me, seemed a stupid thing to stress over. You take away Vaders bulk (same with Henry with all the "loose weight" attempts they issued to him) then you take away a lot of the menace that the wrestler has.

It probably didn't help that, at IYH July 1996, HBK completely destroyed Vaders monster aura by getting straight up after a brutal Vader beat-down and the show ended with the faces standing tall. Sure enough, SummerSlam 96 had a rotten buy-rate (not helped by the product in general, but surely torpedoed by the main event being screwed) and WWE had Vader win twice in a screw-job fashion before getting beaten by HBK and, presto, his main event career was finished.

Even if Vader had a bad attitude (which is realistic) he's the kind of guy that Vince likes to push so I'm baffled that, considering the lack of top line heels in 96, Vader only got 1 crack at it...I'd put a lot of it down to him being a WCW guy because, for the life of me, I can't see any other reason.

One more thing that I wish Henry could have that Vader and Yokozuna did, and that's a manager like Jim Cornette. Henry is great at looking and acting like a monster but his mike work has never been his strong suit. I get that it isn't the most important for a monster heel but, to be a main event monster heel, you need to carry your end of the stick (so to speak) and that is the biggest flaw in Marks act. You put him with someone like a Jim Cornette and you have someone that can talk, generate the heat for him to then go out and destroy people in the ring...Hell, it worked for Yoko, it would surely help Henry stick at the top.

What's so bad about being a Mark Henry fan? I know he isn't exactly the most enjoyable wrestler to watch in the ring but the does one hell of a job with his badass character. I actually like him. And I hope he wins the world title from Orton because Orton hasn't entertained me one bit with any of his promos/interviews/segments. Orton may be a good wrestler on the ring but he's a horrible storyteller. It's like he can't get that smile off of his face when he wrestles sometimes. Henry always has an emotional look on the his face while in the ring. He actually plays his character very well. I'm not gonna bash you for being a Mark Henry fan. Eveyone's free to express their opinions. I actually agree with you on Henry. He deserves a world title run he's been working hard for years to get to the top and guys like Orton get to the top because they're marketable which is a good thing for the company but unfair to guys like Henry. I'm with you on this one I really hope Henry wins the title.

I wouldn't really say that I am a Mark Henry fan but I would say that he is a good pro wrestler. He does the basics vey well. He can tell a good story in the ring, he looks fearsome and can do a good job on the mic as well. I just haven't looked at him as someone overly special and I am generally a fan of those guys who stand out from the pack. Henry is a good monster heel, there have been ones like him before and there will be ones like him in the future as well.

I respect Mark Henry though. He has been put through a lot of shit storylines in his career but he has never let them deter him or set him back. He is not a complainer and he is a thorough company man. He is a useful asset to have on your roster.

I won't begrudge you for being a Mark Henry fan though. It's a lot better than being a fan of many other wrestlers, if you ask me.

I've been a Mark Henry fan at every point of his career. From his Sexual Chocolate days, to his injuring Batista days, even his Cool Aid days, and now I think he deserves the push he has. I am behind him to win the WHC. I honestly don't think he is that bad on the mic either.

After reading this 1 name comes to mind: Kane

If Kane can spend Literally years being nothing but a jobber to everyone, win MitB and not only become World Champion but hold it and have 2 good feuds (Undertaker & Edge). Then why can't Mark Henry be built up as a monster Heel destroying everyone that gets in his way and win the World Title at NoC and have at least 1 good feud?

I get that Mark Henry isn't everyone's cup of tea but come on man.

There is a difference between being a jobber to the stars and being a complete joke. Kane remained an intimidating monster the whole time that he jobbed to the stars. Henry, on the other hand has been a joke for most of his career. He's been Sexual Chocolate, the Mae Young hand incident, the World's Strongest Jobber, and his terrible face run on Raw. Other than the ECW title reign his entire career has been mostly a joke. I don't dislike the guy, I just cannot take him seriously as a potential world champion. He will always be the World's Strongest Jobber to me.

Kane, on the other hand.... He has had more than enough impressive moments and great matches to make up for a couple of duds of his own such as Katie Vick or the Rey feud in 2008. There's all of his feuds/matches with Taker, his world title reign last year, and countless other moments that come to mind. You make a valid argument in Henry's favor, but the fact of the matter is that he has been booked to be a joke for most of his career and Kane has not. Henry cannot be taken seriously as a threat to the world title because of that. Even in his better moments (2006 until after Wrestlemania loss to Taker, and ECW reign in 2008) he still was very difficult to take seriously.

There is a difference between being a jobber to the stars and being a complete joke. Kane remained an intimidating monster the whole time that he jobbed to the stars. Henry, on the other hand has been a joke for most of his career. He's been Sexual Chocolate, the Mae Young hand incident,
I didn't start watching until 2002 so I can't really comment on these 2 here.
the World's Strongest Jobber, and his terrible face run on Raw.
Just like Kane even though Henry was a jobber all/most of his career he was built as a monster even though he would always get beat. It's why he was so good at it. By being billed as a monster in all his matches when he gets beat the person who beats him gets that much needed rub. As for his face turn while I like him better as a heel it was ok.
Other than the ECW title reign his entire career has been mostly a joke. I don't dislike the guy, I just cannot take him seriously as a potential world champion. He will always be the World's Strongest Jobber to me.
I loved his ECW title run but what about his time in The Nation? Like I said I didn't start watching until 2002 but from what I've read it was a pretty successful group for everyone involved. And How can you not take him seriously? Sure a lot of his career he was a jobber/joke whatever you want to call it but in the last few months he has been raised up to if not the WHC then at least the upper mid card pushing into the Main Event.[/QUOTE]

I've personally never been a fan of Henry(I've always found his move-set to be boring. I guess I'm just not a fan of big man wrestling. I'm also not a fan of his finisher. I think somebody with his size should do a more credible finisher, imho) but his current Heel run has been entertaining as hell. This is honestly probably the only time I've ever been entertained by Henry, and the man definitely deserves the Heavyweight title, whether I like him or not. He had undoubtedly worked his ass off for years for the WWE, and he's obviously a very loyal employee. I don't know how many big men like him would of stayed after the Face turn he had.

I didn't start watching until 2002 so I can't really comment on these 2 here.

You're not missing anything, as far as great Mark Henry moments go, at least.

Just like Kane even though Henry was a jobber all/most of his career he was built as a monster even though he would always get beat. It's why he was so good at it. By being billed as a monster in all his matches when he gets beat the person who beats him gets that much needed rub. As for his face turn while I like him better as a heel it was ok.

That's the problem though. He gets built up to be a monster then just gets squashed by guys like Orton, Cena, Taker, or Batista. He's had several little pushes similar to this one, and they all ended the same way. WWE are likely to just have him get squashed again. For someone to be credible they need to win the more important matches every now and then. It helps them be taken more seriously.

I loved his ECW title run but what about his time in The Nation? Like I said I didn't start watching until 2002 but from what I've read it was a pretty successful group for everyone involved. And How can you not take him seriously? Sure a lot of his career he was a jobber/joke whatever you want to call it but in the last few months he has been raised up to if not the WHC then at least the upper mid card pushing into the Main Event.

He held the European Championship back in 1999. His only other true accomplishment in WWE was the ECW Championship run in 2008. That's 9 years of doing absolutely nothing but get built up for squashes. I just see history repeating itself yet again, this is what always happens for Henry only he is getting a larger push this time around. He does not have the credibility to warrant going further to win the title due to always getting squashed each time he gets built up. It's all more of the same. If he does win the title I will take back what I said, but I still think Orton will squash him like an insect. WWE like to subscribe to the "if it's not broken, don't fix it" theory. Henry will always be The World's Strongest Jobber due to that being the same thing they always do with all of his pushes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back