If You Were Starting a Team: NFL

Big Sexy

Deadly Rap Cannibal
The concept of this thread is simple. If you were starting to building an NFL franchise today and you could choose any player in the league to start it with, who would it be? I'll move onto other sports depending on the success of this thread.

The most important position in the NFL is quarterback so my choices would already be narrowed down immensely just from that. Then you have to look at the age factor. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are still the two best qb's in the league but both are getting up there in age. Brady will be 34 and Manning 35 when this upcoming season starts. To me that's too old if I'm starting a franchise today. Even Drew Brees, probably the league's 3rd best qb, is 32. Guys like Roethlisberger and Rivers would be in the discussion for me but ultimately the choice for me is simple and that is Aaron Rodgers.

Rodgers really has it all. He has the talent, leadership ability, championship pedigree, and youth to lead a franchise for the next 10 years. Rodgers is coming off a Super Bowl victory after a tremendous playoff run. He is only 27 years old and continues to improve every season. The Packers had no running game this year and Rodgers was still able to lead them to a title showing that even in a one dimensional offense he can thrive. The only concern I would have with starting a franchise with Rodgers is the fact that he suffered 2 concussions this past season. Rodgers is a quick guy and often uses that quickness to scramble out of the pocket. When he does scramble Rodgers tends to go for those extra yards rather then slide down. A few more concussions like he had this past year and all of the sudden your franchise could have some major concerns. With that said, Rodgers seemed to change his ways after coming back from the concussions. Late in the season and in the playoffs he tended to slide a lot more rather then take big hits going for those extra yards. The more he matures the more he'll realize he needs to make those smart decisions and live to play another down. Arguments can be made for other guys but to me the answer is Aaron Rodgers.

Good thread series idea, Big Sexy.

This question is really simple for the NFL. You are right when you say that the most important position on the field is the Quarterback. They are the field general on offense, and are the only skill player to control the football on practically every offensive play (save for Wildcat gimmicks). When the team wins, they are generally praised for helping the team win, and conversely, when they lose they are given the blame.

Now, which Quarterback would I take if I were starting a franchise? Again, this is simple. PEYTON MANNING. I know he's getting up there in age, but Peyton Manning is going to go down as one of, if not the best quarterback in the history of the game when all is said and done. He, going back to being the Field General of the offense, is practically the Colts offensive coordinator, in that he calls the offensive plays at the line of scrimmage. His drive and determination to succeed are second to none, and at the way he plays the game, he will likely be able to play for at least another 5 seasons, which would be enough to build my team from scratch into a championship contender. Couple all of that with the fact that he isn't going to cause you any off the field problems, and his off-field personality, and you have not only the cornerstone for your franchise, but a good man to represent your city as well.

Other players I would consider, if Manning was unavailable somehow:

2. Tom Brady:
He is very similar to Manning, and personal preference was one of the primary reasons I chose Manning.

3. Drew Brees:
Slightly younger then Manning/Brady, Brees is nearly on their level. However, he is yet to have as much success as either player, which is why the aforementioned Manning/Brady go ahead of him.

4. Ben Roethlisberger:
Given the fact that starting a team from scratch I'd likely end up not having a strong offensive line, a guy like Ben would be an ideal QB. However, his massive off the field problems (and getting schooled by the Packers in the Super Bowl) killed him for me.

5. Aaron Rodgers:
In 3 years, if he keeps it up, he'll be the answer. However, he's still too young and he hasn't done it long enough.

6. Darelle Revis:
The only Defensive player I'd start a team with. He has proven to be able to single-handedly shut down an opposing teams number one Wide Receiver. Come playoff time (God willing my team makes it) that makes a big difference, especially against teams with only 1 passing threat. And he's only in his mid 20's, so he'll be around for a long time.

7. Joe Thomas:
The general consensus when rebuilding is to start on the inside and work your way out. Joe Thomas is a young 2-time All Pro Left Tackle. If I can't protect the QB, the QB can't do his thing, and Joe Thomas can protect the blind side better then everyone, and will be around for a long long long time.

8. Michael Vick:
Part of building a team is getting someone to excite the fanbase. Michael Vick is the most electrifying man in all the NFL, thanks to his unique abilities on the field. He will always be a controversial figure thanks to his prison term, but between the lines, there is nobody more exciting, and when he's on, he's the only player in all the NFL that has TD-scoring ability on every play.

9. Nick Mangold: Mangold gets my vote for the same reason Joe Thomas did. Building from the inside out works. Mangold is the best center in the NFL (Back to back 1st team All Pro), and he's only been in the league 5 years.

10. Mark Sanchez:
What can I say, I'm a bias Jets fan. Maybe in a few years he will legit be in the conversation. Until then, I'll just be bias and have him here because I like the kid and think he'll legit be here soon...

The most important position in the game is a QB. If you have a bad QB but a good team, your chances of winning aren't as good as if you have a good QB but a lesser talented team. With that being said, I'm inclined to go with Aaron Rodgers. Screw the 3 years experience only. The guy is just entering his prime, has already proven he can make a run in the playoffs, that he can spread the ball out to anyone, and that he has the moxie that few QB's have. As I said, despite his lack of game experience, he's wiser beyond his years. Those years of sitting on the bench have made him a better football player. I'm not trying to drink his cool-aid, but he's at Brady and Manning's level and is a few years younger. If I want success for a longer time this is the guy I want leading my team.

If I were to go in a direction other then QB, I'd go in two spots: Left Tackle, and Defensive Tackle. Teams that are top usually are the top in the trenches. With that being said, the Left Tackle I would take is Joe Thomas, who (along with Jake Long) has solidified his spot as the top LT in the game. And for Defensive Tackle, I'd choose Ndamokung Suh. Homer pick? Only slightly. The guy is an unreal physical specimen, and notched first team All-Pro as a rookie. He got 10 sacks as a rookie. That's great for ANY defensive tackle. To build a great defense, it's better to have a line that can get to the QB over filling it with talented defensive backs, because you have a better chance at a lineman disrupting the QB's momentum then shutting down two receivers 30+ times.

So it'd be Rodgers, Thomas, and Suh, for me. In that order.

As much as I want to say a QB you need a good defense to win championships and you need to be able to stop QBs. That is why I will take Clay Matthews. While he may not sack the QB every game his motor and determination will always disrupt a QB. If you disrupt a good QB he loses rhythm even if he is as good as Big Ben. Constant pressure allows for a higher chance of a mistake which can change every game.

This comes down to three positions/situations. Those would be QB, LT (or RT if the QB is a lefty), and pass rusher. There are plenty of options at each position available. There is tons of talent at QB. Ranging from the Manning bros, Brady, A-Rod, Freeman, etc. There are probably two elite tackles in the league and that would be Joe Thomas and Jake Long. Both guys are absolutely exceptional at what they do. And then pass rushing. This comes down to three guys. DeMarcus Ware, Clay Matthews, and Ndamukong Suh.

Really tough decision, but I'm gonna go with Suh. The guy was just absolutely dominate as a rookie on the DL. He is arguably the best DT already in football and he is likely to get better and that's just scary. Getting that kind of jump start on the defensive line is huge as Suh also provides a great deal of run support and frees up some other options on the defense. It really came down to Suh and Long/Thomas. Reason for that being there is plenty of talent available at QB that I'd be willing to not take an elite QB and run with Suh.

I would probably go with Clay Matthews or Suh. Look at what the Ravens and Bucs accomplished with Trent Dilfer, only a slightly above average quarterback. If you have a great defense along with a solid O-line all you need is a QB who won't turn the ball over. Teams that try to build on offense alone usually don't do so hot or struggle until the defense catches up, look at Detroit, seemed like dumbass Matt Millen drafted nothing but wide receivers for 3-4 years. Good wide outs are a dime a dozen in the NFL and it doesn't matter who you have in the backfield and at the skill positions if you can't make some running lanes or protect the passer. Also doesn't matter how good your QB is if he is under pressure to score every drive to keep pace with what the D is giving up, sooner or later you gotta be able to stop somebody.

I don't really understand those picking defensive players. Clay Matthews is great and Suh is already one of the most dominant defenders in the NFL but one great defensive player does not make a defense good. Picking an elite defender could be the start of building a great defense but I'm not sure you'd want to build you franchise around a defender. Teams like the Bucs and Ravens are the exception, not the rule. More often then not it takes a great quarterback to win a Super Bowl. No position in football is more important and can make more of an impact then the quarterback position.

I don't really understand those picking defensive players. Clay Matthews is great and Suh is already one of the most dominant defenders in the NFL but one great defensive player does not make a defense good. Picking an elite defender could be the start of building a great defense but I'm not sure you'd want to build you franchise around a defender. Teams like the Bucs and Ravens are the exception, not the rule. More often then not it takes a great quarterback to win a Super Bowl. No position in football is more important and can make more of an impact then the quarterback position.

Good point, Bucs and Ravens were very special teams, with not one but multiple defensive pro bowlers. I was starting with a defensive player with the intent of filling out the rest of the D with great players. You won't get an argument from me that QB is the most important position, I was going to say Rodgers but the previous posters pretty much wore him out so I decided to go D. There were a lot of great Qb's that never won like Marino and it took Elway his whole career, but I agree that you usually need a good one to compete in the playoffs unless of course you have a D with 8 or 9 all pros.

Agreeing with RvC, I would also start a team with a defender, defense does win championships. I wouldn't want anyone too young, but you would never want to start a team with someone who won't play too much longer either. That's why my pick is Troy Polamalu.

Troy is young(29), but not too young, and is also very experienced, but is defiantly the most dominant defender in the NFL today.
* 6× Pro Bowl selection (2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010)
* 3× First Team All-Pro selection (2005, 2008, 2010)
* 1× Second Team All-Pro selection (2004)
* 2× Super Bowl champion (XL, XLIII)
* “Joe Greene Great Performance Award” (2003)
* NFL 2000s All-Decade Team
* Steelers Most Valuable Player Award (2010)
* 2010 AP NFL Defensive Player of the Year
* 2010 NFL Alumni Player of the Year
Look at all of those credentials, and he's been playing since 2003 to note.

Also he has 27 picks(a little more than 3 a year), 8 sacks(1 a year), and 515 tackles(about 64 a year), which is good considering he's a safety.

All around the guy has always been a great football player, never had any issues with anyone on his team, and knows how to win. I just feel like in football, if I can start out with the best defender in the NFL today, than I can win ball games, you don't always need a great quarterback to win( i.e. The New York Jets the past couple of years.) The Jets won with a great defense, and if I started a team, that's what I would want my team to win with.

Agreeing with RvC, I would also start a team with a defender, defense does win championships. I wouldn't want anyone too young, but you would never want to start a team with someone who won't play too much longer either. That's why my pick is Troy Polamalu.

Troy is young(29), but not too young, and is also very experienced, but is defiantly the most dominant defender in the NFL today.
* 6× Pro Bowl selection (2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010)
* 3× First Team All-Pro selection (2005, 2008, 2010)
* 1× Second Team All-Pro selection (2004)
* 2× Super Bowl champion (XL, XLIII)
* “Joe Greene Great Performance Award” (2003)
* NFL 2000s All-Decade Team
* Steelers Most Valuable Player Award (2010)
* 2010 AP NFL Defensive Player of the Year
* 2010 NFL Alumni Player of the Year
Look at all of those credentials, and he's been playing since 2003 to note.

Also he has 27 picks(a little more than 3 a year), 8 sacks(1 a year), and 515 tackles(about 64 a year), which is good considering he's a safety.

All around the guy has always been a great football player, never had any issues with anyone on his team, and knows how to win. I just feel like in football, if I can start out with the best defender in the NFL today, than I can win ball games, you don't always need a great quarterback to win( i.e. The New York Jets the past couple of years.) The Jets won with a great defense, and if I started a team, that's what I would want my team to win with.

Heres why you don't want Troy: The man simply can't stay healthy throughout the entire season while maintaining his style of play. Either he has to take the edge off the way he plays, or he winds up missing 3-4 games a season. What good is a safety if he can't stay on the field all season? Troy may be the best defensive player in the league, but the safety position isn't one you build a team around. Building around a defensive player, especially a safety, isn't a wise strategy. Defenses, despite the adage that they win Super Bowls, don't without a franchise QB.

Anyway, my pck would be the same as Ive selected in my fantasy league last year, and that would be Aaron Rodgers. Look, this isn't hard. The QB position is easily the most important on the field. Look at the Super Bowl for the further proof. Aaron Rodgers was the difference in the game. The man shredded the best defense in the league, and it was by threddding the needle with precision passing. He's not rattled easily, and if he can't beat yo with his arm, he can with his legs. 5 rushing TD's ths past season with virtually no rushing game and winning the Super Bowl says it all. He has the slight risk with concussions but I dont think it will be an issue long-term. I would have gone with possibly Ben Roethlisberger before the season but Rodgers has the same intangibles and the more accurate arm. Aaron Rodgers would be my pic.

Now, which Quarterback would I take if I were starting a franchise? Again, this is simple. PEYTON MANNING. I know he's getting up there in age, but Peyton Manning is going to go down as one of, if not the best quarterback in the history of the game when all is said and done. He, going back to being the Field General of the offense, is practically the Colts offensive coordinator, in that he calls the offensive plays at the line of scrimmage. His drive and determination to succeed are second to none, and at the way he plays the game, he will likely be able to play for at least another 5 seasons, which would be enough to build my team from scratch into a championship contender. Couple all of that with the fact that he isn't going to cause you any off the field problems, and his off-field personality, and you have not only the cornerstone for your franchise, but a good man to represent your city as well.

Peyton Manning is the best qb in the NFL and when it's all said and done I'd argue he may be the best in league history. However, he is 35 and like you said that's only going to give him maybe 5 more years. You'll be able to build a short term championship contender with that but if I'm starting a franchise I want the best possible scenario. Rodgers has been a starter for 3 years and has been fantastic each and every year. This past year he and the Packers put it all together to win a Super Bowl. He is also almost a full 8 years younger then Manning giving a franchise much more time to not just build a short term championship contender but possibly a long term dynasty. By starting a franchise with Manning you basically have to go out right away and look for his future back up for when he retires. With Rodgers the future is him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back