If Umaga hadn't passed away...

Sully

Pre-Show Stalwart
Where do you think he'd be right now?

Umaga was a really talented wrestler, for some reason he always looked good matched up against others...he was just unique. I know the fat foreign guy has been there before, but Umaga just stood out more then the others. When he is standing next to a guy like John Cena or Bobby Lashley, he just looks good. He has that gimmick that makes him fit with pretty much anyone and their character.

In June 2009, Umaga violated the Wellness Policy, and then refused rehab. Thus he was released from his WWE contract. After his release he participated in the Hulkamania Tour, and his last match was a single match...which he lost to Mr. Anderson. So I have a two What If questions. The first one, if Umaga had never passed away, where would he be? Would he have returned to the WWE, would he have went to TNA, would he have gone back to All Japan Pro Wrestling, or would he have just given up and retired?

I think eventually, Umaga would have either gone back to the WWE, or he would have tried TNA. Like I said, Umaga's gimmick fits with anyone, anywhere, and TNA would have been a good place to express that gimmick. It's possible that at some later point, WWE would have welcomed Umaga back as well, I don't think they'd shun a talented superstar like that forever.

The second What If question. What if Umaga never failed the Wellness Policy. I think he'd obviously still be in the WWE, he could have had many feuds and rivalries with different talents, and he'd probably be a multiple champion, as far as mid card goes. I can't see he'd be a world champion, at least not yet, but you never know with the WWE, Vince could have decided to try it and give Umaga a run. Of course if we still put his death into factor, I think that was unavoidable, especially because it was so close to after he was released. Although with my philosophy on the way life works, any path you take can change your life completely, so maybe Umaga would have never had that heart attack. You never know what could have happened, but it's always fun thinking of what could have happened.

With that being said, where do you think Umaga would be right now if he never had that heart attack, do you think he'd be in the WWE, TNA, or in a coffin anyways. If he never failed the Wellness Policy, do you think he would've eventually, or do you think he would have been a good bit farther in his career today?

If Umaga hadn't have violated that policy I could see him making a rise and ending up main eventing around last year and possibly this year, especially this year seeing as there are quite a few main event spots that need filling. I feel Umaga's problem was after his push which lasted a year a two they just lost faith in him or didn't know what to do with him. They missed an opportunity and they were trying to place him in whatever they could. He should have beaten Batista clean in that RAW vs. SD Match at Mania 24 (I think) and in all honesty even though he was still fresh I could have loved for him to have beaten Cena in that Last Man Standing match for the WWE Title that year they faced off at the Royal Rumble.

Not really sure. If you buy what Stephanie said shortly after he died, he was all set to come back, and I could certainly see him working a feud with the Undertaker, which had been postponed a multitude of times. Going forward though, I really don't think Umaga would be the world champion. They had there shot in 2007, and didn't want to take it, so I assume several years (and losses) later they wouldn't really see him as championship material. Right now he would more than likely be on SmackDown in a similar role to what Mark Henry has now.

Umaga would have main evented and probably held world titles. Before he violated the wellness policy and refused rehab he was being booked to be more destructive than ever, and he finally SPOKE as the Umaga character. His promo on the Samoan Strap match was pretty epic and that type of promo combined with his bulldozing style would have taken him to the top, especially if he got moved to Smackdown. Unfortunately he refused rehab when he violated the wellness policy and then passed away. I think that he would have finally made it by the end of 2009 to the top of the card at least once due to the direction his character seemed to be going in. It probably would have been a push similar to Henry's current one. I guess we will never know now.

He would've returned at the Rumble as scheduled and I agree he'd likely be in Henry's position right now. As for a proposed feud with The Undertaker, I'd have loved to have seen it. But it wouldn't have happened. Umaga improved no-end since his debut as Jamal, but he was still very stiff. 'Taker has been fragile for years which is why I suspect that feud never happened when he was with the company.

to be perfectly honest i think he would have just hung around the indy wrestling scene or maybe made a short return to wwe but more then likley just hanging around on the indy scene until a retirment down the road...then again he was part of that group that worked the hogan and flair indy thing before they joined TNA and many guys from that ended up in TNA so maybe he would have gone to TNA? :shrug: but he was a pretty good wrestler if u take into consideration the fact he was over 300 pounds and not really in shape

if Umaga had never passed away, where would he be?
I would have hoped that he would have returned to the WWE, I was always a big fan of Umaga and loved his matches. I don't believe he would have held a world title but he definitely would have challenged for one. When he was there he always seemed to at a level just above mid card and just below being a main eventer, it's a damn shame we never got to see what would have happened. One thing I know for sure is he would have continued to put on each match with all the ability and power in his massive powerful Samoan structure, and that is part of why I loved Umaga.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back