If TNA Closed Tomorrow, Would You Quit Watching Wrestling?

Would you Quit Watching Wrestling if TNA closed.

• Yes, I'd quit Watching Wrestling altogether

• I'd watch WWE

• I'd Watch ROH

• I'd stick to Indy Wrestling

• Wait until a new #2 Rises

Results are only viewable after voting.
That's fine. I'm not a "true wrestling fan" (as if that even exists). But I'll bite. I'm fine with that, too, and I'm sure so are many others who share the same affinity I did/do for TNA, or for any other company.

If you don't think that there are thousands of fans in the world who'd give up on wrestling were WWE to suddenly implode and disappear off the face of the planet tomorrow, I don't know what to say to you other than 'how is the weather in fantasy land?'

I don't think they or you would. It seems it's about liking the underdog in the fight, not about liking a product. Thus, you "gave up" on wrestling until TNA came along. If TNA goes away, you'll "give up" on wrestling until the next startup comes along. At that point, you'll rave about how great their talent is and how certain aspects of the product are far better than WWE and it'll give you purpose again. That's all this is.

I love ya buddy but let's be honest. You do like wrestling otherwise you wouldn't watch TNA because um, it's wrestling. You like the idea of rooting for the underdog and you like wrestling so you combined the two passions into being Mr. TNA. It's a great and noble cause but you'll do it again because there will always be a company to somehow garner a TV deal and "challenge" WWE.

As for me, I don't hide behind anything. I"m a wrestling fan and I watch too much as it is. If TNA closed up, that's two hours of new wrestling program I couldn't watch but I'd still watch plenty of stuff. That's what we do.

I don't think they or you would. It seems it's about liking the underdog in the fight, not about liking a product. Thus, you "gave up" on wrestling until TNA came along. If TNA goes away, you'll "give up" on wrestling until the next startup comes along. At that point, you'll rave about how great their talent is and how certain aspects of the product are far better than WWE and it'll give you purpose again. That's all this is.

I love ya buddy but let's be honest. You do like wrestling otherwise you wouldn't watch TNA because um, it's wrestling. You like the idea of rooting for the underdog and you like wrestling so you combined the two passions into being Mr. TNA. It's a great and noble cause but you'll do it again because there will always be a company to somehow garner a TV deal and "challenge" WWE.

As for me, I don't hide behind anything. I"m a wrestling fan and I watch too much as it is. If TNA closed up, that's two hours of new wrestling program I couldn't watch but I'd still watch plenty of stuff. That's what we do.

You must have missed the point in that response where I quoted the word "true" right along side "wrestling fan", which was quite intentional to separate "wrestling fan" from "true" wrestling fan — this in direct response to essentially anyone who is mocking the idea that anyone could or should be a fan of one company and not wrestling as a whole.

So yes, I am not a "true" wrestling fan. I don't give a shit about ROH. I don't give a shit about NJPW. I don't give a shit about the indies, and I don't give a shit about WWE either. I don't watch any of them. I watch TNA. I'm a TNA fan. Hard as that may be for "true" wrestling fans to grasp, people like me do exist, and probably in larger numbers than they might wish to believe, even if we are still a minority among wrestling fans on the whole.

If that's still confusing, I'll bridge this to an alternative — I'm not a "hockey" fan. I'm an NHL fan. I love the NHL. I don't love the KHL. I don't love the AHL. I don't love the OHL, the WHL or ECHL. Does that make me not a "true" hockey fan? Probably, but I give exactly zero fucks about that type of invisible, niche audience title that only a handful of people on the planet would even recognize, let alone value.

You must have missed the point in that response where I quoted the word "true" right along side "wrestling fan", which was quite intentional to separate "wrestling fan" from "true" wrestling fan — this in direct response to essentially anyone who is mocking the idea that anyone could or should be a fan of one company and not wrestling as a whole.

So yes, I am not a "true" wrestling fan. I don't give a shit about ROH. I don't give a shit about NJPW. I don't give a shit about the indies, and I don't give a shit about WWE either. I don't watch any of them. I watch TNA. I'm a TNA fan. Hard as that may be for "true" wrestling fans to grasp, people like me do exist, and probably in larger numbers than they might wish to believe, even if we are still a minority among wrestling fans on the whole.

If that's still confusing, I'll bridge this to an alternative — I'm not a "hockey" fan. I'm an NHL fan. I love the NHL. I don't love the KHL. I don't love the AHL. I don't love the OHL, the WHL or ECHL. Does that make me not a "true" hockey fan? Probably, but I give exactly zero fucks about that type of invisible, niche audience title that only a handful of people on the planet would even recognize, let alone value.

So let me ask you this then. Why watch wrestling or hockey if you aren't a fan of the genre? Why watch TNA if you aren't a wrestling fan? Certainly there are shows on TV better than professional wrestling that you could watch rather than sitting through 2 hours of Impact Wrestling.

To me, you ARE a fan of wrestling but you're also a fan of the underdog. You're in the majority who don't go and watch Japanese or Mexican wrestling or even go to an indy show, but you like wrestling enough to want to watch it on TV. However, you liked a promotion that died and you kept the underdog mentality to watch the up and coming show rather than "sell out" and watch the show that won. I get that, but you're a wrestling fan otherwise you wouldn't watch TNA, you'd watch something else at that time on Thursdays (then again you often do anyway but that's not the point).

So let me ask you this then. Why watch wrestling or hockey if you aren't a fan of the genre? Why watch TNA if you aren't a wrestling fan? Certainly there are shows on TV better than professional wrestling that you could watch rather than sitting through 2 hours of Impact Wrestling.

You're getting really hung up on this, and it's not that complicated.

Yes, I like professional wrestling. I watched WCW before I watched TNA, I watched WWE on and off over various spans, and I even watched ROH for about a year back when Styles, Joe, Aries, etc. were all still with the company. But I'm a TNA fan. When it comes to pro wrestling, it's the only game in town for me. I gave the others a shot, didn't like them, and have come to the conclusion that it's TNA or bust for me. Why is that so hard to understand?

Based on the logic being presented in a number of posts in this thread, I am not a "true" wrestling fan. I don't go out of my way to watch as much of it as possible. I don't go scour YouTube and torrent sites to download independent productions, buy or download backyard wrestling DVD's or anything of the sort. The two hours a week of TNA suit me just fine in meeting my pro wrestling needs. I could even go for more, were TNA to get additional broadcasting that didn't require me to go out and download it after the fact (like Xplosion), because again, TNA is my brand (thanks, Sting).

The same logic applies to hockey. I love the NHL. I'm a New York Rangers fan, which means the Rangers are my brand. I'll watch their games first and foremost, but I'll also watch various other games within the NHL year, and as many games as I possibly can during the playoffs. But using the logic in this thread put forth by a few users, I'm not a "true" hockey fan, in that I don't go out of my way to watch as much of it as is humanly possible. I don't care about the CHL or the AHL and only follow what I need to as it pertains directly to up and coming stars there, or as they affect the draft. And fact is, in most drafts, I haven't a clue who half the players are. I let TSN educate me on that during the first round broadcast, which does a great job of explaining to me who each player is and what they are expected to be.

If you haven't figured it out by now, I'm mocking the idea of "true" wrestling fan. As if you (the proverbial you) are a better wrestling fan than I because you watch more of it than me. You (again, proverbial) might be a more dedicated fan, but you are not "better" than me. What exactly is the criteria to define "better" anyway? Do you cheer louder? Do you buy more t-shirts and DVD's? Do you pay for more PPV's, or stream fewer?

Long story short, the point I'm trying to make is that this "true" fan stuff is common place in sports as a means to belittle the opinions of others and make them feel inferior for not liking what you like. Sorry, but I don't subscribe to it. If you like WWE, good for you. I don't. Why do I have to be treated like I'm second class because I don't like the things you like? Get my point?

To me, you ARE a fan of wrestling but you're also a fan of the underdog. You're in the majority who don't go and watch Japanese or Mexican wrestling or even go to an indy show, but you like wrestling enough to want to watch it on TV. However, you liked a promotion that died and you kept the underdog mentality to watch the up and coming show rather than "sell out" and watch the show that won. I get that, but you're a wrestling fan otherwise you wouldn't watch TNA, you'd watch something else at that time on Thursdays (then again you often do anyway but that's not the point).

Yes, I'm a fan of wrestling. I'm not sure how we got to this point, but I'm pretty sure it's impossible to be a TNA fan if I don't enjoy wrestling. Like being a Rangers fan who hates hockey. It makes no sense.

As to the underdog thing and the sellout stuff, you're playing the conjecture game. I actually did "sell out" and watch WWE for a while in my last two years of college (2004-2006). Consistently, in fact. I watched RAW with friends of mine who were WWE fans every week for a good two years, if not longer. I was also watching years before then when The Hart Foundation heel stuff was going on with the debuting DX, which was some of the best stuff I'd seen. Hell, I even tried to come back to it at some point a few years back when Punk was doing that whole I'm leaving with the WWE title thing. I thought that was great. Problem was, I couldn't make it through more than about 20 minutes of anything else on the broadcast, because it's just not my brand. I don't have the dates recorded in my KB Time Keeper Book log, but my point is that I actually did give other brands a shot. I didn't like them. They just didn't do it for me.

There's certainly merit behind you using some of the things I've said about WWE to assume that it means I watch TNA because they are the underdog, but it's not entirely true. In a sense, sure, because they are actually the underdog, but I watch them because I can identify better with them. I have no stigmas and scars with them the way I do WWE, who put the company I loved more than any other out to pasture. That was another reason I found it so difficult to ever really attach myself to their product. I have little respect for VKM, and frankly, their fans don't exactly make it easy either — at least not the ones I tend to deal with (like the ones in this thread that probably never even took a breath in a year when anything but WWE was an option). They also put out a more serious product with more likeable characters (at least the types I like), and the familiarity with ex-WCW guys certainly greases the wheels. Even Mike Tenay is like a welcome home sign to me, having heard his voice every Monday night for years back when WCW was around.

I think you're misunderstanding him. People have this notion that "true" wrestling fans will watch whatever product is presented to them. He only likes TNA so by their standard of "true" fan he doesn't fit. He likes the specific company. Not the idea of wrestling in general. He's conceding by their logic he's not a "true" fan. I'm sure there were a lot of people who quit watching when WCW went out of business and people would argue they aren't "true" fans.

I watch and love the NFL but I don't care for any other football. College, Arena, Canadian. So while I watch the brand I like if it went away I wouldn't watch the alternatives. Therefore people would say I'm not a "true" football fan.

As far as the topic at hand. If TNA went away I would watch the alternatives. I already watch WWE so I would just stick with that.

At the moment, I prefer TNA's product over the WWE's, and am a loyal fan. I don't hate the WWE's, but I generally prefer TNA's. I like the roster, the match quality, the overall presentation and the fact that they're not childish. I know being targeted at all audiences is excellent for business, but it's good to have a product for an older audience.

For the most part, the reason I don't watch the WWE is because I don't have that much time on my hands, and because I'm not as much of a fan of their product as opposed to my TNA fanboyism. But being a Wrestling fan, I decided to stick with one product-the one I think is the better one. At the moment I only check the results for the WWE, and watch parts during Wrestlemania season, or when something exciting is happening like The Rock's return, the Summer Of Punk and the Nexus invasion.

Should TNA ever close down, I guess I'll go to WWE. I've never been a consistent fan of that company (I tried to get in to it after Summerslam-didn't work), and I've been watching TNA since '03, but because I love Pro-Wrestling, I'll watch it. Again, I don't hate the WWE, I'll watch the better product and TNA isn't the only wrestling product out there, so if a closure means watching WWE, I'll watch it. It's not the best, and I'll see a larger difference between the WWE and TNA, but I'll still watch it. The last hour at least. At the moment, I reckon older fans look back at WCW, ECW and maybe even the WWF on YouTube and other sites, but it's not exactly the same experience as opposed to watching an active programme weekly. I may go back to TNA on some site where I can watch past episodes, but I suppose I'm going to be mostly watching the WWE.

i would watch wwe.
that guy "some mma guy i think" who wanted to buy wwe, he has a chance at buying tna and maybe destorying

Chael Sonnen.

You're getting really hung up on this, and it's not that complicated.

Yes, I like professional wrestling. I watched WCW before I watched TNA, I watched WWE on and off over various spans, and I even watched ROH for about a year back when Styles, Joe, Aries, etc. were all still with the company. But I'm a TNA fan. When it comes to pro wrestling, it's the only game in town for me. I gave the others a shot, didn't like them, and have come to the conclusion that it's TNA or bust for me. Why is that so hard to understand?

Based on the logic being presented in a number of posts in this thread, I am not a "true" wrestling fan. I don't go out of my way to watch as much of it as possible. I don't go scour YouTube and torrent sites to download independent productions, buy or download backyard wrestling DVD's or anything of the sort. The two hours a week of TNA suit me just fine in meeting my pro wrestling needs. I could even go for more, were TNA to get additional broadcasting that didn't require me to go out and download it after the fact (like Xplosion), because again, TNA is my brand (thanks, Sting).

The same logic applies to hockey. I love the NHL. I'm a New York Rangers fan, which means the Rangers are my brand. I'll watch their games first and foremost, but I'll also watch various other games within the NHL year, and as many games as I possibly can during the playoffs. But using the logic in this thread put forth by a few users, I'm not a "true" hockey fan, in that I don't go out of my way to watch as much of it as is humanly possible. I don't care about the CHL or the AHL and only follow what I need to as it pertains directly to up and coming stars there, or as they affect the draft. And fact is, in most drafts, I haven't a clue who half the players are. I let TSN educate me on that during the first round broadcast, which does a great job of explaining to me who each player is and what they are expected to be.

If you haven't figured it out by now, I'm mocking the idea of "true" wrestling fan. As if you (the proverbial you) are a better wrestling fan than I because you watch more of it than me. You (again, proverbial) might be a more dedicated fan, but you are not "better" than me. What exactly is the criteria to define "better" anyway? Do you cheer louder? Do you buy more t-shirts and DVD's? Do you pay for more PPV's, or stream fewer?

Long story short, the point I'm trying to make is that this "true" fan stuff is common place in sports as a means to belittle the opinions of others and make them feel inferior for not liking what you like. Sorry, but I don't subscribe to it. If you like WWE, good for you. I don't. Why do I have to be treated like I'm second class because I don't like the things you like? Get my point?

Yes, I'm a fan of wrestling. I'm not sure how we got to this point, but I'm pretty sure it's impossible to be a TNA fan if I don't enjoy wrestling. Like being a Rangers fan who hates hockey. It makes no sense.

As to the underdog thing and the sellout stuff, you're playing the conjecture game. I actually did "sell out" and watch WWE for a while in my last two years of college (2004-2006). Consistently, in fact. I watched RAW with friends of mine who were WWE fans every week for a good two years, if not longer. I was also watching years before then when The Hart Foundation heel stuff was going on with the debuting DX, which was some of the best stuff I'd seen. Hell, I even tried to come back to it at some point a few years back when Punk was doing that whole I'm leaving with the WWE title thing. I thought that was great. Problem was, I couldn't make it through more than about 20 minutes of anything else on the broadcast, because it's just not my brand. I don't have the dates recorded in my KB Time Keeper Book log, but my point is that I actually did give other brands a shot. I didn't like them. They just didn't do it for me.

There's certainly merit behind you using some of the things I've said about WWE to assume that it means I watch TNA because they are the underdog, but it's not entirely true. In a sense, sure, because they are actually the underdog, but I watch them because I can identify better with them. I have no stigmas and scars with them the way I do WWE, who put the company I loved more than any other out to pasture. That was another reason I found it so difficult to ever really attach myself to their product. I have little respect for VKM, and frankly, their fans don't exactly make it easy either — at least not the ones I tend to deal with (like the ones in this thread that probably never even took a breath in a year when anything but WWE was an option). They also put out a more serious product with more likeable characters (at least the types I like), and the familiarity with ex-WCW guys certainly greases the wheels. Even Mike Tenay is like a welcome home sign to me, having heard his voice every Monday night for years back when WCW was around.

Best frikin' post I've read on this site, however I can watch more than 20 minutes of RAW, maybe the last hour.

No, I wouldn't quit watching wrestling if TNA closed. Besides WWE and TNA, I watch the Independents wrestling promotions like NWA SAW, TCW=Traditional Championship Wrestling, Championship Wrestling From Hollywood. I would also still watch ROH as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back