Ichiro To The Yankees

What the fuck? The Yankees play The Mariners in Seattle tonight. Holy shit at least Seattle should've waited until after this series. Good move for The Yankees with Gardner being out for the season but I believe this definitely means Swisher won't be back next season.

Solid move by the Yankees but Ichiro is a shell of his former self. He is having the worst year of his career hitting just .261.

Solid move by the Yankees but Ichiro is a shell of his former self. He is having the worst year of his career hitting just .261.

Worst hitting, sure, but he's more than recovered his Gold Glove form in right that he lost last year, which has improved his value significantly. Last year he was a below average hitter and defender. While his offense has continued to trend downward this year, he's recovered his defensive ability and has outperformed himself last year by miles. Not to mention that his hitting is bound to improve with the move to Yankees Stadium over Safeco Field.

Worst hitting, sure, but he's more than recovered his Gold Glove form in right that he lost last year, which has improved his value significantly. Last year he was a below average hitter and defender. While his offense has continued to trend downward this year, he's recovered his defensive ability and has outperformed himself last year by miles. Not to mention that his hitting is bound to improve with the move to Yankees Stadium over Safeco Field.

That's why I said it was a solid move. I'm just not going to overblow it and salivate over an out of his prime big name going to the Yanks. He is an upgrade over what they had but this isn't nearly as big of a deal as people will make it out to be. I'll take the Tigers additions of Omar Infante and Anibal Sanchez over this move every day of the week.

Fuckin' really Yankees? I mean I know the AL East is a war-zone but you seriously didn't need to do this at all. Typical New York thinking. Why haven't we won a hundred games yet?! Get more big name stars damnit!

This isn't the Ichiro of 5 years ago. In fact, he's been below average offensively lately. This move was done primarily due to Brett Gardner being out for the year. He'll improve their defense a bit but their offense won't be fueled by Ichiro.

I don't see why anyone doesn't understand this. The Yankees have 2 everyday outfielders on the active roster in Granderson and Swisher (who is nicked up and out for this series). They can't expect the productivity of the Jones/Ibanez platoon to last all year long, and they found an all-star caliber player available for nothing.

The Yankees gave up 2 guys that at best are projected to be a #5 starter and last guy in the bullpen. They also got money back. AND Ichiro is a Free Agent after the season, so he's just a rental.

BRILLIANT move by Cashman and the Yankees

I don't see why anyone doesn't understand this. The Yankees have 2 everyday outfielders on the active roster in Granderson and Swisher (who is nicked up and out for this series). They can't expect the productivity of the Jones/Ibanez platoon to last all year long, and they found an all-star caliber player available for nothing.

The Yankees gave up 2 guys that at best are projected to be a #5 starter and last guy in the bullpen. They also got money back. AND Ichiro is a Free Agent after the season, so he's just a rental.

BRILLIANT move by Cashman and the Yankees

Ichiro now isn't an all-star caliber player and hasn't been since 2010. His offense should improve just because he's leaving Safeco, but even if he were to produce .716 OPS (which is what he averaged on teh road) he'd still be one of their lesser offensive players. He should still produce good defense which is key, but to say he's an all-star caliber player at his current state is ridiculous.

Decent move, but he shouldn't be what determines if they do or don't win the World Series.

My thoughts on the whole thing:

I've yet to see an instance where adding a Hall of Famer to your roster is a bad idea, especially when you're gearing up for a World Series run.

Ichiro now isn't an all-star caliber player and hasn't been since 2010. His offense should improve just because he's leaving Safeco, but even if he were to produce .716 OPS (which is what he averaged on teh road) he'd still be one of their lesser offensive players. He should still produce good defense which is key, but to say he's an all-star caliber player at his current state is ridiculous.

Decent move, but he shouldn't be what determines if they do or don't win the World Series.
Give me a guy who isn't that far removed from being an All Star over a guy who never will get there any day. That's what the Yankees did. Replaced Dewayne Wise with Ichiro Suzuki.

2010 is 2 years ago. He had a bad past 18 months on a shit team. Going to a good team will help. Going to a better hitters park with help. Going to a winning team will help.

I'm not saying the Yankees are getting Ichiro of 2004, but it's certainly possible and possibly even likely that they see the Ichiro of 2010.

And again, they got him for nothing.

Wise was nothing more than a defensive replacement/5th OF guy. Only 61 AB in 56 games. Ideally Ichiro fills in Gardners spot but is a poor mans version of it now. The platoon of Jones/Ibanez hasn't been awful either but I can see where they would prefer Ichiro over a guy like Raul because they'll always be able to score so having a still very good defender will help.

But still, this is a 39 year old slap hitter. He's just experiencing the typical drop off from his prime that you would expect from any normal 35+ year old. He was able to even hold it off a bit until these past two years.

It's really just an exchange of an average player for half a season for two average pitching prospects. It's not really notable in terms of anything that will happen on the field at all, more so notable because Ichiro Suzuki will not play out his entire career with the Mariners, which is the real news here.

You guys are forgetting ICHIRO himself was the one who approved the trade. He noticed the team was rebuilding and that he was literally the oldest player on the field. Cashman I believe thinks that adding Ichiro was the best move because Gardner is out for the season. That and we're adding a Hall of Famer who can teach the OTHER young guys how to hit. Therefore win/win for everybody.

I don't think it will happen but if Ichiro stays with the Yankees for three or four years, it will be awesome that he, A-Rod, and Jeter will get their 3,000th hit in a Yankees uniform.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back