• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

IC25's New Article - Moderation Is The Enemy Of Greatness

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
“Forget about likes and dislikes. They are of no consequence. Just do what must be done. This may not be happiness but it is greatness." -George Bernard Shaw, Irish Playwright

Not often in history have truer words been spoken, and perhaps at no time in history is this more apparent than right now. As I pick from the various news blurbs and opinion editorials of the past several weeks in the worlds of professional wrestling, professional and amateur sports, and even the world we live in, this seems to be a repeating message. No better time than the present to write about it.

There is a massive price to almost insurmountable natural talent. For anyone who possesses the inate abilities to be the best in the world at something, there comes a certain sacrifice of balance. Few handle that well. The ones who become all-time, world-class greats rarely have great balance or harmony in their lives, and those who want balance and harmony have to sacrifice a degree of greatness.

Rarely has this example been more clear than it was last night with Kharma. For those of us who were fortunate enough to have been watching TNA when she really burst onto the scene, there was this air of invincibility to her - strong, impactful, seemless. Having met the real life Kia Stevens at FanFest a couple years ago (and having a laugh at her advances towards WZ's own Nick Paglino...all in good fun, mind you...), I met a kind, gentle, well-natured young woman with a world of passion for both wrestling and life itself. That's why last night's revelation that she is currently pregnant and her explanation that she has two dreams in this life came as no shock to me at all. And I wish her nothing but the best.

But I cannot help but feeling that, after WWE sunk tons of TV time into this Kharma character without her even wrestling a match, that she has effectively surrendered a certain degree of greatness in the world of Professional Wrestling within the WWE. Vince and Co. have always valued commitment to the WWE Brand as much as anything else, and history shows us that commitment being rewarded, whereas a lack of commitment can be grounds for punishment. I'm not confident that Kharma - or Kia Stevens, for that matter - will reach the same lofty heights within the WWE we all predicted a couple months ago. And it didn't shock me that fat jokes occured within 10 minutes of the heartfelt speech. It may just be the price - in greatness - that she pays to acheive balance.

On the flip side, look at all of the all time greats in the business. Steve Austin and Edge have both had massive and invasive procedures done on their necks. Kurt Angle is basically scar tissue on two legs. Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair have endured public divorces, bankruptcy scares, etc. Don't even get me started on Mr. Benoit. All of these men made massive sacrifices in their lives to be all time greats, and those who are still active are feeling the long term effects of those decisions. If you read J.J. Dillon's book "Wrestlers Are Like Seagulls," you read about Vince McMahon frequently working 20 hour days with only a few small naps throughout. ESPN's Colin Cowherd calls them "Type-A Personalities." They are work-a-holics who sacrifice balance for greatness.

Some people sacrifice their values or ethics for that same greatness. In this case, I am referring to the news of Ohio State coach Jim Tressel resigning amidst allegations of lying to the NCAA about violations. This isn't his first issue with the NCAA, and it happens almost concurrently with USC being slapped with massive sanctions and potentially forfeiting their 2004 National Title. OSU and USC may well be the two biggest and best FBS Programs in the past 10 years, so is there a shock to anyone that the greatness they've acheived has been tainted by scandal?

My wife and I watch WWE Tough Enough each week at 8:00 pm like clockwork. We're as into that show as we are into Raw, because seeing these green youngsters trained by some all time greats and seeing that back-end of the business is just plan facinating. A common theme on the show is commitment and dedication, so it's ironic that the final week of the show is coming down to Luke - the pretty boy who made no bones about being single and wanting to life the 'life on the road' of a WWE Superstar, and Andy - the dedicated family man who promised his wife he wouldn't drink alcohol while on the show because it wouldn't be fair to them if he went and partied. At first glance, it seems clear to me that Luke is the favorite to go on to a long and successful WWE career, because he doesn't desire the balance that Andy does. I am not blaming Andy for wanting both a successful WWE career, a loving wife, and a stable family, but I'm also being realistic. It's so difficult to pull that off. Chris Jericho is an anomole - the exception, not the rule. I wish Andy the best, but if I were a betting man, I'd bet the farm on Luke being further along in the WWE in 10 years than Andy will be.

So we watched Tough Enough together and I said to my wife "I wonder if I could do this." Her reply to me was "sure you could, but I don't think it'd make you happy, being away from me 300 days a year," I thought to myself, "she's right, it wouldn't make be happy and I couldn't be away like that." That thought was compounded by the recent excerpt I read from Brock Lesnar's book regarding painkillers in the WWE. These guys are bigger, stronger, and tougher than I am, and it takes a mixture of vicodin and vodka for many of them just to get up to go to work? That's quite a price to pay...

...but maybe it's the price of greatness...

I think one person's idea of balance will vary with the next person's idea of balance. What you're saying isn't wrong, but it doesn't represent EVERYONE's idea of balance.

Say you're a single, young, athletic guy who craves spotlight, fame and fortune. Your idea of balance will be whatever it takes to achieve those goals. If you're a family man, then your idea of balance will be making money to pay the bills and have a little left over, take care of your family and be there for them as much as humanly possible.

Chris Jericho's balance comes from getting his fame/fortune out of the way as a young man, and he's grown into his current lifestyle. He didn't start out with a wife and kids, he picked them up along the way to greatness.

Again, I agree with you on a basic level, but there are exceptions to what you're saying. Look at the Miz. He's a single guy, wants to be the biggest thing in WWE and he's going for it. His balance is his fame and fortune growing. Once he gets firmly entrenched in the WWE family, he can work on finding a different balance as he ages.

The thing about living and breathing something is that it can create burnout and actual dislike and hate for that which you are devoted too.

Looking at one of your examples, Vince McMahon, is in my eyes a prime example. McMahon has lived wrestling his whole life and yet he is forever trying to diversify away from it. Whether it be bodybuilding, gridiron, films or his proposed television station; he actually seems to despise that which has made him the incredibly rich man he is.

Now, you gave Y2J as being the exception to the rule, but what about guys like HBK, Sting and 'Taker who can walk away each day and be Shawn, Steve and Mark? Is the Nature Boy greater because he struggles to differentiate where Flair ends and Fliehr begins?

I think it comes down to character, some people have to obsess about things whilst others have the ability to balance. Whatever field you look at, you will find examples of both. Shaw himself balanced being an author with photography, politics, reviewing other peoples works and other personal interests.

Now, you gave Y2J as being the exception to the rule, but what about guys like HBK, Sting and 'Taker who can walk away each day and be Shawn, Steve and Mark? Is the Nature Boy greater because he struggles to differentiate where Flair ends and Fliehr begins?

I thought this was an interesting comment by you, specifically the comment about Shawn Michaels walking away from the business and "just being Shawn." Here's the rub - his name isn't Shawn. It's Michael Hickenbottom. He's been so immersed in the business and the character, that he has become his character. Steve Williams has become Steve Austin. It's the nature of that part of the beast...

I thought this was an interesting comment by you, specifically the comment about Shawn Michaels walking away from the business and "just being Shawn." Here's the rub - his name isn't Shawn. It's Michael Hickenbottom. He's been so immersed in the business and the character, that he has become his character. Steve Williams has become Steve Austin. It's the nature of that part of the beast...

Michael Shawn Hickenbottom didn't like his christian name, so went with his middle name. This happened when he was a child and is also a reasonably common occurrence outside of wrestling (my mum is Sarah Anne, yet known as Anne), I'm sure you know a least a couple of people who have done the same.

Steve Williams didn't wish to become Steve Austin. A certain Dr Death meant that his name had to change and it is rumoured that he didn't initially warm to Austin.

Keeping a name isn't necessary an immersion in character. If Steve resumed his old name for his acting ventures; a: most people would ignore it, & b: the film makers wouldn't go for him using a little known name. Despite the fact that Dwayne Johnson has tried for years to move away from the Rock, the world won't let him. That's not devotion to the task, it's an occupational hazard that can occur in every branch of the arts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back