• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

IC25's New Article: "If You Can't Be Good, At Least Be "GOOD..."

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
Like most wrestling fans, I wasn't watching the TNA Pay Per View last night. Somewhere in between being anxious for the Royal Rumble, being excited for the February UFC PPV (especially the Bader vs Jones match up), and watching my Green Bay Packers defeat the Eagles (Go Pack Go!), it must've slipped my mind. That said, I damn sure checked Wrestlezone.com this morning to learn what I had missed. Matt Hardy debuted and beat RVD? More slipshod booking designed for cheap excitement and zero direction.

But tell me this - what in God's name was Jeff Hardy doing with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth?

Listen, I get it. WWE is going the PG route and cleaning things up (language, partial nudity, for example) whereas TNA is trying to be the 'edgy' promotion with its mild expletives and violence. That's their marketing strategy - differentiation. It makes sense. But at the same time, you have to draw a line with some things, and smoking should be one of them.

1. In almost any arena in almost any state, smoking is illegal to begin with. Fans are told not to smoke prior to the event, it is printed on the tickets, it is on signs outside. Most arenas have designated outdoor smoking gates where those in need of a nic-fix can go and breathe in each others filth. It's your right as an American citizen to die a slow death while simultaneously contributing $4 per pack in tax revenue. But how TNA was able to portray smoking in the arena after explicitly telling fans not to is sickeningly hypocritical. And I understand that the cigarette may have been a prop, and that fans can go see a broadway show that depicts smoking, but that brings me to point #2.

2. TNA is still packaging its product as "professional wrestling" as opposed to WWE's "sports entertainment." At least it seems that way, I'm no expert on TNA. But they've historically packaged their wrestlers as 'athletes' and looked for fans to react to them as such. In that same vein, why TNA would want the champion of its promotion to be seen heading to a major title defense doing one of the things that most hinders long-term athletic endurance baffles me. When The Sandman smoked in front of 250 laid off truck drivers back in ECW in Philadelphia (couldn't resist), it made sense, because he wasn't a professional athlete coming to the ring to wrestle and submit another professional athlete. He was a dude who busted himself open with a beer can and battered opponents senseless with a kendo stick. Hardy is supposed to be the top guy in the #2 promotion in US Wrestling and he's got a smoke in his mouth.

3. If this is another way for TNA to take Hardy's real life addiction problems and turn them into part of his character as a "life imitates art" angle, then it's even more deplorable. Dude has real demons, get him help, don't send him out this way. If Hardy did it on his own volition, stop the match and strip him of the title.

4. Hardy has FANS. Young ones. Probably the only reason Hardy got the run he did in WWE was because he still managed to connect with young fans thanks to his vivid colors, high risk maneuvers, and fun 'against all odds' persona. Some of those young fans may have followed him to TNA, and now their hero is smoking on his way to the ring!? How irresponsible is this?

I try to give my readers a little bit more than just wrestling chat, preferring to juxtapose the fake world of professional wrestling with REAL cultural issues. A few months back I railed against fans who thought John Cena should turn heel, and I did so by comparing him to Tim Tebow and other guys who are who they are as much on their clean image and community influence as on their athletic talent. I have to invoke Tebow once again. Many football experts don't think Tebow can make the transition to a decent NFL quarterback, but that doesn't mean he's not still this humble, hard working, all-American kid. The Broncos recognized that when they drafted him, and while they may not have gotten Peyton Manning's arm or football IQ, they got a kid who won't derail their franchise with drug use, attitude, or (paging Plaxico Burress...) guns.

We don't know if Tebow will be a GOOD quarterback. At least we know he'll be a GOOD citizen and a GOOD role model.

With TNA, we get neither. It doesn't look like TNA, as currently constituted, will be a particularly GOOD promotion. The least they could do is take the high road with how they depict their talents. Shoving a cig in someone's mouth - your champion for that matter - reeks of desperation and classlessness.

Warm regards,

Chris "IrishCanadian25" Fitzpatrick

Forum Moderator

I'm gonna do this ST style, though I plan on keeping it short and sweet.

1. Cigarettes are a Legal drug in our society

2. Spike TV is the "Network for Men"

3. Any child with a proper upbringing should be able to tell you that smoking cigarettes is bad for your health, thus any child watching TNA and seeing hardy smoke on his way out the ring should know it's the wrong thing to do, thus garnering hardy some extra heat.

4. If we as a society expect Pro Wrestling to teach our children the differences between right from wrong, than we've already lost.

I didn't see the show, I only read the results. But from what I gathered from reading the results, Mr. Anderson had just been through a grueling Number One Contender's Match with Matt Morgan, and that he got his title shot immediately after the match. This was to ensure that Jeff Hardy could easily retain the belt for Immortal. So Hardy was probably not worried about the match one bit and felt he had it in the bag. What better way to show that someone isn't worried than by having smoke a cigarette?

It doesn't bother me at all. He was showing he was confident he was going to make short work of Anderson and wasn't bothered by facing him. He's a heel, anyways. Little kids shouldn't be looking up to him for life advice. To me, smoking the cigarette made Hardy's heel character more developed, if that makes sense.

Sorry Bearded One-der, it doesn't make sense. Not to me, at least.

The New England Patriots just had a week off. The NY Jets played a tough game at Indy. Should Tom Brady waltz out of the tunnel this weekend with a Marlboro sticking through his helmet?

Pro wrestling may be the only mainstream athletic activity where stuff like this is 'okay.' This is why pro wrestling will never be more in society than the bottom rung. Facts are facts.

Hardy wants to show confidence? Strut to the ring. Do pushups when you get there. Don't fucking smoke.

The New England Patriots just had a week off. The NY Jets played a tough game at Indy. Should Tom Brady waltz out of the tunnel this weekend with a Marlboro sticking through his helmet?

You comparing professional sports to T.V. entertainment. Whether they want to be categorized as such or not is irrelevant. Pro wrestling is scripted, Pro sports are not.

Pro wrestling may be the only mainstream athletic activity where stuff like this is 'okay.' This is why pro wrestling will never be more in society than the bottom rung. Facts are facts.

Looking at it as a Athletic Activity is problem number one, they may do athletic things in the ring, but it's in the name of entertainment, not competition. When you order a wrestling PPV, you know before hand that the outcome is scripted; because it's not an athletic competition, it's a scripted form of entertainment.

Hardy wants to show confidence? Strut to the ring. Do pushups when you get there. Don't fucking smoke.

Is Hardy a face all the sudden, those aren't very heel like qualities.

Smoking is bad for you, but thank god it's not Jeff Hardy's responsibility to teach our nations youth about what's right and wrong.

Any child who was watching this PPV hopefully had a parent teach them about what's right and wrong before leaving it up to Hardy on a Pro wrestling program that is aired on Americas channel for Men.

Just a thought here... but do we know if it was even a real cigarette? Hollywood's been using fakes with herbal properties and no nicotine/tobacco for years (just watch five mins of the show "Mad Men"). Not saying that this matters much if you're issue is more with Hardy's example for kids, but ultimately this was an ACTOR playing a VILLAIN on a SCRIPTED TV SHOW. We've seen rape, murder, and every other atrocity being depicted on television, so why get bent out of shape over a smoker?

If it was actually a REAL cigarette then I do have a problem with it. I know the things are legal, but for TNA to spend all this time talking about head injuries and anti-bullying and then let their World Champion trot out to the ring willfully damaging his own health in such a worthless way would be a shame. I know willfull acts of self-destruction are part of wrestling, but there's a big difference between plunging off the top of cage and smoking a cigarette. One is part of the show... the other is just a waste.

Does anybody remember when Big Show then the Giant in WCW used to come out smoking? I have no problems with the smoking angle because he is supposed to be against everything that is good hence the antichrist of wrestling. You need to let it go I don't want to make this a political thing but, the government overreached with banning smoking in public places. In Wisconsin where I'm from you can't even smoke when you're at a bus stop which makes no sense.

Frankly, Chris, I think you're barking up the wrong tree here. In fact, if you ask me, you shouldn't really be barking at all.

All of this is essentially centered around a grievance over the morality of showing Hardy smoking (whether it was real or not is irrelevant, as the act was enough). A grievance you're filing on behalf of the better interests of young fans watching professional wrestling — a "sport" where grown men punch, kick and slam one another to settle their differences, where women are generally objectified and where coarse language (albeit not in WWE) and generally unsuitable behaviors for children are ample.

It makes no sense to me to cite a moral objection now when not ten years ago the prepubescent kids on my block were "DX Chopping" one another and telling their friends and parents to "SUCK IT!". Now, I'm sure there were moral objections then, but the premise is simple — if you look hard enough (which is to say you don't have to look very hard at all), you'll find a handful of things to object to citing immorality as concern by watching professional wrestling programming each week with regard to it's potentially negative effect on children.

I stand by my earlier statement still: I didn't think it was overly controversial, but I thought it sold the attitude Jeff carried to the ring well, e.g. "this will be a cakewalk".

The fact he could smoke before a match says "my competition ain't shit", which he obviously thought of Anderson, especially because he just wrestled (and won) the match against Morgan.

going to keep this short because smoking is a subject that I can go on & on about.

Ummm since when are cigarettes illegal? if they are then it's news to me. It is his life..if he wants to have a smoke(a la Sandman) on his way to the ring then let him. it's his health that is being damanged. not yours. and who knows it could have been a clove cigarette that has no nicotine. And I am sure that TNA officials got the Okay to do this from Universal Studios before hand.

You comparing professional sports to T.V. entertainment. Whether they want to be categorized as such or not is irrelevant. Pro wrestling is scripted, Pro sports are not.

I'm not the only one making the comparison. TNA and WWE do it as well. TNA promotes themselves as "professional wrestling" and how great their "athletes" are. TNA wants to promote itself as an actual sport, but they want the freedom that 'sports entertainment' affords them. They want it both ways. Makes no sense to me.

Looking at it as a Athletic Activity is problem number one,

Tell that to Mike Tenay.

they may do athletic things in the ring, but it's in the name of entertainment, not competition. When you order a wrestling PPV, you know before hand that the outcome is scripted; because it's not an athletic competition, it's a scripted form of entertainment.

Just because the outcome is scripted doesn't mean there's no room for morality.

Smoking is bad for you, but thank god it's not Jeff Hardy's responsibility to teach our nations youth about what's right and wrong.

There's a difference between being a role model and gratuitously doing something like smoking when the cameras are rolling on a major PPV.

Any child who was watching this PPV hopefully had a parent teach them about what's right and wrong before leaving it up to Hardy on a Pro wrestling program that is aired on Americas channel for Men.

Be realistic. Parents don't watch every program the kid watches.

First off, don't complain about what happened unless u actually watched the event. If u had watched the event, u would see that hardy had the cig lit for maybe 15 seconds, and it was specifically to show that he was not worried about his upcoming match. He was stretching and yawning as he went to the ring, with the cig in his mouth. The cig was there to explain an emotion that was going through hardys head, to bring that emotion to the screen. Its acting people, ya with me? And if u people wanna go the route of "oh hes hurting himself".....if u r concerned about wrestlers hurting themselves then u have no business even supporting pro wrestling. The industry itself kills its performers, need proof? I didn't think so. One guy in here talked about the giant coming to the ring smoking an entire cig before he entered the ring, nobody had a problem with that back in the late 90's----same chemical, same additives, same cigarette, same threat. And yes, even in the late 90's it was illegal to smoke inside of arenas so don't give me any of that shit either. Its a shame because TNA put on a great show last night, better than any of the WWE ppv's ive seen lately, and for the greatness of the show to be pushed to the backburner because of u bitchy non-smokers, that really sucks. And again, for the people who said that Hardy is showing a bad example to the kids, if u leave it up to pro wrestling to teach ur kids whats right and wrong, please go turn ur kid into child protective services, because u r unfit to raise a child, and when ur done doing that, go fucking kill urself.

Are we really going to get upset over this? Jeff Hardy blew a butt on the way to the ring. Who cares? Smoking is not a good thing, but also trying to solve all your problems with physical violence....not the best example to set. TNA does things with the purpose of getting people to talk. Congratulations ...it worked. By the way, it was definitely a prop cigarette, due to how big a drag he took and the amount of smoke he exhaled.

going to keep this short because smoking is a subject that I can go on & on about.

Ummm since when are cigarettes illegal? if they are then it's news to me. It is his life..if he wants to have a smoke(a la Sandman) on his way to the ring then let him. it's his health that is being damanged. not yours. and who knows it could have been a clove cigarette that has no nicotine. And I am sure that TNA officials got the Okay to do this from Universal Studios before hand.

This isn't a question of legality (except in my first point which addresses how it is illegal to smoke in most arenas, if not all), it's a question of morality. TNA produces these larger than life superstars, they should have a slight degree of responsibility to not promote smoking, especially in an athletic event like pro wrestling.

What does it matter if it was a clove or a fake cig? It still comes across the same. What if it was a joint? THAT is illegal. But still, the moral implications remain the same.

Just a thought here... but do we know if it was even a real cigarette? Hollywood's been using fakes with herbal properties and no nicotine/tobacco for years (just watch five mins of the show "Mad Men"). Not saying that this matters much if you're issue is more with Hardy's example for kids, but ultimately this was an ACTOR playing a VILLAIN on a SCRIPTED TV SHOW. We've seen rape, murder, and every other atrocity being depicted on television, so why get bent out of shape over a smoker?

If it was actually a REAL cigarette then I do have a problem with it. I know the things are legal, but for TNA to spend all this time talking about head injuries and anti-bullying and then let their World Champion trot out to the ring willfully damaging his own health in such a worthless way would be a shame. I know willfull acts of self-destruction are part of wrestling, but there's a big difference between plunging off the top of cage and smoking a cigarette. One is part of the show... the other is just a waste.

This an interesting point being raised, and goes along with the thoughts of myself and a few others who saw this last night on the PPV and thought that it wasn't a cigarette he was lighting up, atleast not a manufactured one. I've watched it a few times now and I'm fairly certain it's a hand-rolled cigarette, which leads me to think that TNA was trying to imply Jeff was actually smoking a joint (marijuana) and not tobacco, which would be more in line with his character and real-life personality. Now I highly doubt it actually was marijuana, but I'm pretty sure they wanted us to think it was.

Whether this is "right or wrong" is completely irrelevant, because as SSC is arguing, this is a medium for entertainment. This is no different from a character in a film lighting up a cigarette or a spliff. TNA in their own half-baked soap opera Attitude Era castoff spirit of booking is trying to make Hardy's character seem edgy, carefree, and rebellious. Smoking causes controversy, as IC's entire piece on this subject pretty much validates what he did last night.

I don't see the big deal. Pro wrestling is scripted, it's the combination of amazing athleticism with dramatic characters and storylines, and having a character smoke in those storylines is not a big deal at all. Shit WCW used to make Billy Kidman try to appear as "junkie-like" as possible on television to fit his character in the Flock, this isn't even a very original idea.

I'm not the only one making the comparison. TNA and WWE do it as well. TNA promotes themselves as "professional wrestling" and how great their "athletes" are. TNA wants to promote itself as an actual sport, but they want the freedom that 'sports entertainment' affords them. They want it both ways. Makes no sense to me.

Right! They want it both ways, but anyone with half a brain knows that it's a scripted outcome. They follow a script, jut like every other actor on T.V.

There are no scripts in sports, the outcomes are based on which team preforms better. In wrestling the outcome is whatever the script says it is.

Tell that to Mike Tenay.

Mike Tenay sucks the smelly one.

Just because the outcome is scripted doesn't mean there's no room for morality.

Leave morality to the face. Give me a reason to dislike the heal.

There's a difference between being a role model and gratuitously doing something like smoking when the cameras are rolling on a major PPV.

A major PPV in which people payed somewhere around 30 bucks to enjoy it, I've always been one for edgier PPV's, and not that I consider this edgy, but it's perfectly acceptable and falls in under the ratings guidelines.

Smoking when the Cameras are rolling, I can go take a walk down any street in America and find me someone puffing on cigarette.

Be realistic. Parents don't watch every program the kid watches.

They don't need to, all they need to do is plant the seed that smoking cigarettes is a bad habit. If they plant that thought in their kids head then their immediately going to know that smoking is a bad habit.

So as long as the parent even slightly cares about there kids future and tells them at some point in there early lives that smoking is bad, then they should be able to make out that hardy is a "bad guy" doing "bad things" by smoking.

Exactly what a heal should be doing.

Do we just forget that Steve Austin, who was the face of the company for WWE, would come out and drink several beers at a time. Now we all know he had a bigger following then Hardy at a time when wrestling was at its peek. O yeah he also threw up the middle fingers to. I think this is reaching because wrestlers through out the years have done things and promoted things a lot worse for kids to see and no one ever gave a damn. Now Hardy comes out and is seen lighting a cigarette, takes 1-2 drags, and then stomps it out and people are in an uproar.

Reactions: X
First off, don't complain about what happened unless u actually watched the event.

I have as much right to comment as anyone else does, thanks.

If u had watched the event, u would see that hardy had the cig lit for maybe 15 seconds, and it was specifically to show that he was not worried about his upcoming match.

I get that. PLENTY of other ways to show relaxation and lack of concern. doesn't require a cigarette.

He was stretching and yawning as he went to the ring, with the cig in his mouth. The cig was there to explain an emotion that was going through hardys head, to bring that emotion to the screen.

Again. Plenty of ways to do it.

Its acting people, ya with me?.

Thus far, yes, though I am getting a headache.

if u r concerned about wrestlers hurting themselves then u have no business even supporting pro wrestling.

Is that so? So because I show concern about the people who entertain me means I shouldn't be permitted to be entertained by them? So when Aaron Rodgers got a concussion and I was worried about him, that means I should stop rooting for the Packers, or watching football overall?

The industry itself kills its performers, need proof?

THAT MAKES IT OK!?

Who cares if he was smoking a cigarette, just because it was on tv wow never seen that before it s probably something he does at home to, Randy Orton smokes cigarettes to nobody on here making a big deal out of that, why? cause it wasn't on tv, no, cause he's a WWE god and most people on here are WWE smarks!!!! Get over it and quite bashing TNA over every litte thing they do if you hate them so much dont watch there product, or let your kids watch, its there health if they want to ruin it so what.

Jeff Hardy is the anti role model. When Steve Austin and The Rock were WWE champions, they had some bad morals as well. Austin would constantly drink beer on television, Rock would talk about poontang and degrade every woman out there, and even DX would get women to flash their breasts on live television. The Sandman actually smoked and drank alcohol in ECW and even his short run in WWE.

TNA and Jeff Hardy have worse thing to worry about then the TNA Heavyweight Champion lighting or even using a cigarette as a prop. Hardy has pleaded guilty to being a convicted felon, so I don't think lighting a cigarette on a PPV will lower his image or the company. I don't think there is any need for any champion in wrestling or sports entertainment to smoke on television.

Jeff Hardy may have some young fans still, but he is nothing like John Cena. I don't excuse his actions or even think it adds anything to his character by smoking before a match, we have seen much worse on television and in wrestling in the past. Now we are just nitpicking. Hardy isn't the champion anymore and he is going to jail. I don't see a problem with this at all.

lol @ this.

There are two sides of the coin. I'm going to have to go with the side opposite of the "good" side.

See, when I look at TNA, I look at it as fake, and with the knowledge that it is fake, I wish for it to suspend my disbelief and deliver an amazing show. That entire "main event," (because the #1 Contender match between Morgan and Anderson was announced as the Main Event, but it would be hard to not consider the next "impromptu" match part of the "main event") was beyond epic, due to the entire situation that was Anderson, as well as Immortal winning all of the matches prior to this title match.

But of course, that's looking at the entire situation. You're simply looking at the cigarette in Hardy's mouth, real or otherwise. Being that I actually watched the entire PPV, I find it hard to get upset at your one issue, considering all of the other madness that has ever occurred in wrestling that could be considered a bad influence... including wrestling itself. I'm not saying that it was right. I'm just saying that I honestly didn't find it to be a big deal, even in looking at "the big picture."

I'm much more offended by John Cena doing a retirement speech then wrestling the next night. Even Bret Favre said that was wrong. Heels have been lighting up stogies since the beginning of time. More heat

So, like previously stated, it's ok for Austin, James Storm, or Sandman to be out there drinking beer after beer, and in some instances Austin would down a six pack and then drive off in his truck, but a few hits off a cigarette is the end of the world? I repeat, ITS OK FOR WRESTLING TO MAKE DRINKING AND DRIVING SEEM BADASS, as long he doesn't smoke a cigarette?

We all know smoking is bad for you, even my 5 year old knows that, but I would be more concerned with my kids looking up to a man that has had drug problems for the past decade. I would much rather catch my kids with a cigarette than some coke and painkillers. If today, a bunch of kids started smoking because Jeff Hardy did last night, then I pity them for having shitty parents. Thats the problem with this country, its never the parents fault. You could be raised in a family where the dad beats the shit out of the kids and the mom daily, but the first time little Timmy pushes someone or says a bad word, its Eminem and Grand Theft Auto's fault.

Spike TV still says they are the "network for men"? I don't know how that correlates to him smoking then. I'm sure some woman on Lifetime smokes too somewhere.

But if you saw Jeff smoking in WWE, the kids would be wondering how their hero could do such a bad thing.

I have as much right to comment as anyone else does, thanks.

Yes you do. However by taking the time to write an "editorial" about something that you admit to not seeing, you are in effect saying " Hey I heard about this second hand and I am going to blindly follow". You have a point in your opinion, but you negate it by opening with, "I didn't see the so called offensive act".

I think the thing that has shocked me the most is the outcry as a result of your article rather than the act itself! I read your article on the main page before I noticed that you had posted it in a forum and while I totally disagree with your view point, you have every right to be offended by what you saw and to voice your opinion. Ultimatley I think the issue comes down to a matter of taste.
You seem like a bright guy and Im not going to patronise you by saying that pro wrestling is "scripted" etc etc because anyone who comes on a site like this is more than aware of that. What I think TNA is attempting to do is cement Jeff Hardy's heel turn with fans. At the moment I would say its been moderatley successful (in my opinion) but he needs more momentum, they need to make him cockier, darker and more arrogant. Now Im not saying that having 3 drags on a smoke (tobacco, clove or of the 'green' variety) is going to do that, but more that its a character trait that further develops this change. Im not sure it necersarily works, but by the same token it doesnt offend me, hes a performer playing a role and this is the direction the writers have chosen to take him in.
Parents have a responsibilty to educate their children in the dangers of things such as drink and drugs it is not the responsibilty of television writers to direct their moral compass. Surely all good parents will have a conversation after the PPV with young children that are Hardy fans and explain what he was doing was bad for him. Writers and performers cannot legislate for bad parenting. Also, Hardy lost the match afterwards, its not like he beat Mr Anderson and then sparked up a ciggie! I suppose what you find acceptable on TV is a matter of taste and everyone is different, for example, I dont find the smoking thing offensive but I do find the current storyline between Kurt Angle and the Jarretts heading that in that direction. I could easily be argued that portraying marriage separation in the way they are doing could be upsetting to young children who are watching their own parents split up.
Currently TNA are desperatley trying to show wrestling fans how different they are to WWE and they are trying to do this in very obvious very unsubtle ways, I predict there is more of this sort of thing on the way, so if you find it distasteful or upsetting I suggest you take a break from them otherwise your going to find yourself writing articles like this every week!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back