• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

IC Champion Kofi Kingston: Who plays the foil?

Who will take the IC Championship from Kofi Kingston?

• Jack Swagger

• Cody Rhodes

• Drew McIntyre

• One of the Nexus/Wolfpack/whatever they decide to call themselves...

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

LSN80

King Of The Ring
After spending five months chasing the Intercontinental Championship he had lost to Dolph Ziggler, Kofi Kingston kicked off the first Smackdown of 2011 by defeating Ziggler with a large cross body off the top ropes to claim the title for the 3rd time in his WWE career. After a post match attack that included a Zig-Zag by Ziggler, Smackdown Consultant and acting General Manager for the night Vickie Guerrero ordered that Ziggler invoke his rematch clause straight away. After hitting Trouble In Paradise, Kingston defeated Ziggler again to retain his newly won championship.

Kofi has had one title defense following Ziggler thus far, on the following week's Smackdown against Jack Swagger. After 10 minutes of back and forth action, Kofi hit the SOS on Swagger that was good for the 3 count, allowing him to retain the title he had just won.

It's nice to see Kofi being booked as a wrestler who can win a match in a variety of ways, and doesn't rely on setting up for one finisher to do so. That The purpose of this thread(as is the rest of the foil threads) is to determine who will overcome Kofi and become the next IC Champion. As always, three questions:

1. Who will end the third IC championship reign of Kofi Kingston?

2. When will it happen?

3. How would you book it/do you see it being booked?

Have fun kids. ;)

Who will end the third IC Championship reign of Kofi Kingston?

Jack Swagger.

When will it happen?

I can see it happening at Elimination chamber. I think Swagger needs this belt to keep relevant and to help him climb up the card again.He needs to win his credibility back after his terrible World Title reign and this is the way to go.

How would you book it/ how do you see it being booked

I'd have Swagger win the title at Wrestlemania in a fatal four way for the belt against Kingston, Cody and Drew.

Well i actually hope that "Dashing" Cody Rhodes wins the Intercontinental Championship. He has been on his own for quite a while and is really good as a singles competitor. He deserves a good title run before his step into the main event in a few years.

2. When will it happen?
My guess is probably the smackdown after Wrestlemania. By then Kofi would have held it for a few months. And hopefullly be elevated into the main event.

3. How would you book it/do you see it being booked? Just a normal match. Both failed to win Money In The Bank and have Rhodes hit crossrhodes for the victory after some cheating.

Damn I wrote about half a page for this, and then stupidly decided to vote, that's what I get for being an idiot. Long story short I don't think a nexus member is likely as they draw enough heat by themselves to need a title, I don't want Swagger to win it but he seems the most likely at this current time, Drew would be a good option but his thing with Kelly Kelly is pretty deep so he also doesn't really need a title to drive his story. Finally I believe that Cody is the most relevant, the most deserving and the best fit as he has never won before, but Vince is still not high on the guy so who knows.

My call would be that I want Cody to win, but I think Swagger has more chance of winning it, hence I voted Cody to be optimistic.

2. When will it happen?

My guess would be that if it is Swagger it'll AT mania. If it is Cody however, I wouldn't be suprised for him to win a month or so after mania to give Kofi a standard 4-month sort of reign. Where is all the predictability for the IC title eh, when was the last time a guy held the belt for more than about 6 months and less than 2, probably quite recently but it happens rarely. That's a rant for another thread though......

One again, if it's Swagger and it is actually at mania I would expect nothing less than to see the guy win by Ankle lock or gut wrench powerbomb, probably the former. He really should go back to his first finisher, it was a bit different, made himm easier to distinguish from Kurt Angle. If it is Cody it'll more than likely be some sort of cheating goin on. I don't know what, foreign object, interference. If it was up to me though, I'd have Cody win dirrty at mania, then trade him and Ted in the draft to swap places, because Raw is supposed to be for the better entertainers, and God knows Cody is ahelluva lot more entertaining than Ted "I am a boring re-incarnation of my Dad" DiBiase.

Jack Swagger. From recent weeks Jack Swagger is the only superstar that comes even close to mind when predicting the next Intercontenintal Champion. In recent weeks, Jack Swagger and Kofi Kingston have put on phenomenal matches with each other as of late. Whether they've competed with each other in triple threats, or in tag team matched, their encounters are always some to look forward too.

Jack Swagger is a former World Champion. A former world champion that many think may've failed as a champion. To build Jack Swagger back up, they really need to give him an Intercontenintal Championship reign. Give him the worker's title and have him continue to put on great matches with other mid carders. Kofi Kingston and Jack Swagger has been a great feud so far, can't wait for more matches from these two.

2. When will it happen?

Not at Elimination Chamber, that would make Kofi look totally weak compared to Dolph Ziggler who's reign lasted around 6 months which is phenomenal. Kofi's reign should last around 3-4 months if the WWE wants to keep bringing prestige back to the Intercontenintal Championship. Maybe around Extreme Rules would be perfect and give Kofi a nice reign.

Well, its pretty much already laid out for us. They kinda have a feud going on currently. Maybe have Kofi Kingston feud with someone up until Wrestlemania. Have Jack and Kofi have a match at 'Mania, Kofi retains, then at Extreme Rules have some kind of long drawn out match with Kofi Kingston and Jack Swagger with Jack winning his first IC Championship. Isn't much of a feud but their matches would be kick ass.

I'd like to add, I wouldn't mind seeing Justin Gabriel getting a few shots at the IC Championship. Would also add some kick ass matches to Smackdown.

1. Who will end the third IC championship reign of Kofi Kingston? - Jack Swagger

2. When will it happen? Extreme Rules or Over The Limit as both would equal a lengthy 4-5 month reign.

3. How would you book it/do you see it being booked? - No real promos involved at all really, just great wrestling matches.
I wouldn't mind a best-of-7 series like Benoit vs. Booker T for the US title a few years ago.

Im going to make a point, and then add a question to this thread. When Dolph Ziggler had the championship and throughout his title reign, he was elevated by it. Much of this was due to the heat that he drew through Vickie Guerrero, but some of it was also due to him putting on one fantastic match after another. He took what is a rediculous gimmick and became something special because he was able to overcome it through his talent, and the heat he drew. As a result, he's now the No.1 Contender for Edge's WHC. Win or lose, he was elevated.

4. What can creative do to elevate Kofi above his current position on the card through his 3rd(4th unrecognized) IC title reign?

Gonna go out on a limb here and say that the one to end the reign of Kofi is, A debuting Tyler Black, or Seth Rollins, or whatever name they stick on him. This could lead to a WWE version of The Age of The Fall. That is just my opinion on the matter.

4. What can creative do to elevate Kofi above his current position on the card through his 3rd(4th unrecognized) IC title reign?

Give him a long ass reign. Not as long a Dolph's but certainly a lengthy one, or what would be considered lengthy in today's terms. You touched on this when saying Dolph was elevated through a lengthy Intercontenintal Championship reign and good matches. That's exactly what Kofi needs. Like Dolph, Kofi Kington is able to put on a tremendous match with just about any superstar or wrestler he's in the ring with. Give him a couple of mid carders for him to showcase his talent with. He needs to show he can handle being in there with anyone. Hell, two matches with John Cena was able to put Dolph Ziggler over. Maybe John Cena is the link Kofi needs in order to elevate him up the card.

I'm going to go with Drew Mcintyre by a process of elimination. Jack Swagger and Cody Rhodes are exactly guys the managment look at as proven. The Blue Nexus is going to go after upper midcard/ main event guys. They may attack Kofi, but they won't be after his title.

2. When will it happen?
Sometime around the elimination chamber or past Wrestlemania.

I would personally book it to have Kofi being a dominant champion, winning several title defenses against Swagger, Cody, or B-Nexus, then finally have Drew come along an win it. I'd then book him like they did the Miz. Having a dominant mid-card title reign, and then use it to boost him into the main event. Drew Mcintyre in my eyes has the potential to be Smackdown's Randy Orton. He has the look, the attitude. His wrestling ability is maybe half that, but he's good, and he's only going to get better.
Kofi isn't ready for that push yet, though he may. Smackdown's a pressure cooker right now for Faces. There are so few, that they're either going to have to elevate themselves, or they're going to be replaced.

Let him hold the IC title for a while and then drop it. He needs to be elevated to the main event. He can defend the title with more and more higher ups and eventually drop it to move on to bigger things. I think the one feud he needs is against Kane. Kane isn't doing anything right now. An IC title feud with Kane means Kofi will be pushed to the next level.

First off, let me say that putting the IC title on Kofi was the smartest thing WWE did. With Smackdown's lack of mid-card faces, it took away a bit of the merit of Dolph Ziggler's championship reign. Now, there are options as to who to elevate next. He has Swagger, Rhodes, McIntyre, Reks, all of Nexus. All Ziggler had...was Kofi.

Wouldn't mind Cody Rhodes, but ideally, it would be better if Kofi beat the mid-card and established himself as a solid IC champion before losing to Alberto Del Rio.

2. When will it happen?
The PPV after Wrestlemania...or Wrestlemania itself.

Have Ricardo Rodriguez be responsible for his loss, and that would bring about more heat to Del Rio.

I think it's going to Swagger, and I think it's happening soon. An IC run makes a ton of sense for Swagger. His WHC run sputtered because his opponents were all main eventers who had to be protected. Not a concern with an IC run, where the focus is more on wrestling good TV matches with a variety of opponents. An IC run plays to Swagger's strengths and is exactly what he needs to get back on track. I think Kofi's IC run will be brief and transitional.

I'm not really sure at this point. It wouldn't surprise me to see Kofi hold onto the title at WrestleMania or possibly hold it after the event. With the WWE Draft coming up not long after WrestleMania, there could be an influx of talent to the blue brand that might seem to be a more interesting choice than any of the others.

If I absolutely HAD to pick right now, I'd probably go with one of The Corre members. It looks as if Nexus is going to capture the WWE Tag Team Championship on Raw soon, so having The Corre win a singles title on SD! would give them some credibility as well. If the rumors are true that these two factions are going to have an extended feud that lasts past WrestleMania, then keeping both of them looking strong and being on equal footing is going to be extremely important.

I think it's going to Swagger, and I think it's happening soon. An IC run makes a ton of sense for Swagger. His WHC run sputtered because his opponents were all main eventers who had to be protected. Not a concern with an IC run, where the focus is more on wrestling good TV matches with a variety of opponents. An IC run plays to Swagger's strengths and is exactly what he needs to get back on track. I think Kofi's IC run will be brief and transitional.

But if Swagger wins, he has NOBODY to face. It's bad booking by the WWE in not establishing a formidable roster. You talk about a variety of opponents...what variety? Midcard is shot. There's only Kingston as the main mid-card face. Christian is hurt, McIntyre has his storyline, Mysterio is feuding with Del Rio and has a storyline with Cody.

It makes more sense, with the events that's happened to Cody Rhodes, for him to be rebuilt and eventually win the IC title, or have Del Rio win the title after the WWE Draft.

Otherwise, if Swagger wins, you'll see a Swagger vs. Kingston feud similar to Kingston vs. Ziggler.

I say have Kofi hold it til Backlash and then lose it to Cody Rhodes. Have Cody win by grabbing the ropes or the tights they can then have a 2-3 week feud til the Draft which should bring in more challengers.

Cody seems as good a choice as any to receive a push for the IC title. I think he's got the edge over his Legacy counterpart in that he isn't being buried by a diva... I don't think Alberto Del Rio is likely to go down to the IC title level after being in the main event scene so much since his debut, although it would add some much needed credibility, and a feud between him and Kofi would be excellent.

As far as HOW I would book it... It's not necessarily a hard thing to book. Cody wants the title because he's "dashing" and he's tired of being considered second-rate. He wants to prove he's better than dear old dad, so he chases the title. Kofi hits a couple shots to the face, and maybe even a Trouble in Paradise, and Cody flees for fear of his beautiful face. Maybe somebody points out that if he doesn't get over his fear of being hit in the face, he'll never be anything. There will probably be some cheap heel tactics and Cody ends up with the title. Maybe after that Kofi will start going after the big prize....

I'm not really sure at this point. It wouldn't surprise me to see Kofi hold onto the title at WrestleMania or possibly hold it after the event. With the WWE Draft coming up not long after WrestleMania, there could be an influx of talent to the blue brand that might seem to be a more interesting choice than any of the others.

If I absolutely HAD to pick right now, I'd probably go with one of The Corre members. It looks as if Nexus is going to capture the WWE Tag Team Championship on Raw soon, so having The Corre win a singles title on SD! would give them some credibility as well. If the rumors are true that these two factions are going to have an extended feud that lasts past WrestleMania, then keeping both of them looking strong and being on equal footing is going to be extremely important.

I think Kofi holding the title until Wrestlemania is a must. He's a bigger draw than any of the other mid-card challengers. If there isn't a Money in the Bank match we might even be lucky enough to see an epic battle for the title for once. If WWE wants to push the Corre/Nexus as an Evolution type stable, they might give them all the belts at one point. It's a great way to give them dominance. Slater and Gabriel as tag champs, Wade Barrett as World Champ, and maybe Big Zeke as IC champ would be nuts. Can you imagine somebody having to topple Ezekiel Jackson to win the title!?!

1. Who will end the third IC Championship reign of Kofi Kingston

I want it to be Jack Swagger for 2 reasons.

1: To set up Daniel Bryan vs Jack Swagger (the closest thing too Benoit vs Angle) in a Champion vs Champion Match (or hopefully even Title Unification) at Mania 27.

2: To give Swagger a purpose and not just jobbing to people like Chris Masters (no disrespect for the guy).

But I think WWE will either book Cody Rhodes or a Core member (Wade Barrett, Big Zeke, Justin Gabriel but not Heath Slater)

When will it happen?

I want it to happen before Mania for the reason I said above, but I think Kofi Kingston will drop the strap at from Over The Limit-Summerslam in order to give the IC Championship prestige.

How would you book it?

I would book it with Swagger eliminating Kingston from the Rumble to set up at title match at Elimination Chamber and have Swagger make Kingston tap out to the Ankle Lock to set up Bryan/Swagger at Mania.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back