I wonder how the New Orleans Pelicans feel?

J.J.

Mid-Card Championship Winner
Everyone tends to put at the Charlotte Hornets as the losers here - but many forget that -- that Hornets team was moved to New Orleans. But I am curious to wonder how they feel that Kobe Bryant was traded for the likes of Vlade Divac to play with a disgruntled BJ Armstrong and Anthony Mason, correct me if I am wrong here.

Would Lakers have achieved the success that hadn't been duplicated since the Magic era or would they resemble how they currently look? Would Shaq have landed in LA, with Phil Jackson or elsewhere? It's tough to say, but I speculate somehow the stars would have aligned and Kobe wouldve eventually ended up in LA.

Vlade Divac could've prevented that draft night trade. But over the years as Kobe has played in 17 all-star games and hoisted 5 NBA titles, I just still wonder why Hornets pulled that deal. How do you think the Pelicans feel all these years later after watching arguably one of the greatest to ever play prepare to retire?

I don't think that they dwell on it at all. As a matter of fact, I almost think that those who are in the front office of the organization are probably like, "Eh, shit happens".

They can't beat themselves up to much for it. Kobe was straight out of high school and hadn't proven anything by that point except that he could play with children. There was absolutely no way of knowing what he would have became. Hell, I hate to say this, but I think anyone of us, were we in that same situation, probably would have made the same decision if it were offered. When you ask a question like that, then you have to also wonder how do the Sixers organization feel since they drafted Iverson #1 overall and could have also had Kobe. You have to wonder how all of the 12 organizations ahead of the Hornets/Pelicans feel since Kobe was drafted #13. You have to wonder how Houston and Portland feel knowing that they could have had Jordan in 1984 instead of Hakeem Olajuwon and Sam Bowie respectively. That's just how things work out in the sports world. You can't dwell on things like that because they'll drive you nuts. I still can't figure out how or why Jordan didn't go first. I mean, sure, he wasn't His Airness at North Carolina, but he was still just about the most impressive player that season in college. You draft what need I guess and Houston wanted a Center that they could rely on for several years. They didn't do to bad. Olajuwon got them 2 championships. Stuff like that'll drive you nuts though.

This thread has actually given me a great idea for another thread. Thanks.

I'm honestly not sure what would have happened if Kobe landed elsewhere. He might not have stayed in LA for his entire career that is for sure. And Shaq may not have signed there either if he didn't think it would be a championship team.

And without those two together it's hard to say if the Lakers, Kobe, and Shaq would have been as dominant as they were for so long.

I think so. I think Kobe would have found a way to win a least one title or two wherever he was. But to be as dominant as the Lakers were in his prime? I don't think that could have been done as well. So it's really something special that Kobe ended up where he did.

These what if questions though are too difficult to answer, because you really never know. It's like the butterfly effect, but it is fun. I know Dave Dameshek used to do these with NFL situations called the N "If" L. Not sure if he still does or not, but they're pretty cool.

The thing is that if the Hornets drafted Kobe and Kobe still ended up being the incredible superstar he is, then I don't think the Hornets would have ever moved out of Charlotte.

I can say as a resident of Baton Rouge and as someone who has been to a couple of Hornets games before they were the Pelicans, no one has ever brought up the possibility of Kobe being there, because chances are if the Hornets had a Superstar like Kobe then they would have never moved. They had a couple of really good players in Baron Davis, an injury prone Jamal Mashburn (who could have been the superstar Kobe was if not for said injuries), PJ Brown, etc. If you put Kobe on that team, I just can't see the NBA allowing the move if the Hornets would have wanted to make it in the first place.

As far as the Lakers, no way they win those championships without Kobe. They don't beat that Pacers team without Kobe, they don't beat that Blazers team without Kobe, and they don't rob the Kings without Kobe. I don't care that Shaq got the MVP for those 3 championships... he doesn't win them without Kobe's help.

And while Vlade Divac's name is being brought up, I just want to say that I adore that guy and that I 100% believe he should be put in the basketball Hall of Fame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back