I miss Closed Circuit Television.

Poop Master Flex

Mid-Card Championship Winner
With WM27 less than 2 hours away it got me thinking to all the Wrestlemanias that I've seen live.

The 1st one I saw was Wrestlemania 6 on closed circuit television and I gotta say it was the best way to watch wrestling if you couldn't be at the event itself. Watching wrestling in large crowds always heighten the experience and that is one BIG thing I miss about watching current wrestlemanias.

Of course its not nearly as convienient as watching it in your own house (and you're guaranteed their wont be a sellout) I still prefer watching it in some arena with a big crowd, coming unglued for almost every moment in the event.

I've probably seen about 10 events in closed circuit and every time it was an experience that I loved. PPV's great and all but I feel there is something missing watching a big event like that with 10 people instead of 10,000 people.

I will definitely say if they had Wrestlemania at an arena closed circuit today I would go without a second thought. It may cost a little more but the experience is 100 times better.

So what do you guys think, does anyone else miss closed circuit or are you just happy watching it on PPV in the comfort of your own home?

I dunno, I've never watched in closed circuit, but I was thinking what would be cool would be 3D. We (New Zealand) have the Rugby World Cup here in a few months time and the finals are being broadcast in Movie Theatres throughout the country and in 3D. That's the way Wrestlemania should go. They would still get big money but not everybody can make it to the event, so broadcast it in movie thratres where you still get the crowd atmosphere. that'd be awesome. I'd be prepared to pay the same amount for a ticket as for the PPV at home. Plus 3D would be awesome.

Basically you watch a big event in an arena with a truckload of people and you watch the event off of big screens. Sometimes it was in a big arena with a bunch of screens or in a giant auditorium on 1 giant screen. The ones I was at had WWE concession everywhere and people selling popcorn, sometimes they had pyro set up at the arena depending on the place. It was pretty old school and different but with the big screen, big audio and the fact that they treated it like the even was there is what made it fun.

In a nutshell thats what it is.

For those who don't know "closed circuit TV" is just that. It is broadcast on a frequency whose transmission can only be picked up at specific locations. This type of broadcasting involves the use of satellites and transmitters that are similar to what radio and TV stations use - well beyond the scope and strength of what a private home would ever be able to get. A public gathering place - i.e., a college gymnasium, a concert hall, etc. - would set up to show the event and then tickets are sold the same as they would be sold for the live event. Sometimes individual seats are assigned, sometimes you are only confined to certain areas of the hall, mostly for security and crowd control reasons.

I agree with the first poster - I miss the closed circuit shows, too, for the same reasons. It was like watching the event live and watching with a lot of other fans added to the experience. And, on a monetary note, it was a hell of a lot cheaper than paying $55 regular, $60 HD from the cable/satellite company. The last closed circuit show I wetn to was WM6 - it was phased out right after that.

Back in the day, before cable TV and pay-per-view became really big, when a wrestling company had a big show and the building was sold out (and if there was enough demand), they would run a closed circuit telecast in a nearby building. They'd have a big screen and sound, ... (just like deanerandterry said). WrestleMania 1 was the first nationwide closed circuit show as it wasn't shown on pay-per-view (the first PPV would be the Wrestling Classic tournament held later that year).

They phased out closed circuit as more homes got cable and more people were interested in watching in the comfort of their own home. I think WrestleMania 6 was the last time they offered closed circuit telecasts.

I don't miss it, but I do understand your feeling about watching with a big group makes the show better. My favorite WrestleMania experience was watching WM 17 at a friend-of-a-friend's house where there was a big group of us.

It is almost like watching a baseball team rally when your waiting in line to get a drink and food. IT is awesome. Sometimes, people never leave because you get commentary from fans watching and that is the best.

Well, its not exactly closed circuit, but I've spent the last two WrestleManias in Buffalo Wild Wings. I get to eat good food, get drunk, and interact with other fans.

Hell, it might be better than closed circuit because of the food and drink.

Im only 17, so i've obviously never experienced a closed circuit show, but it sounds awesome :)
I can just imagine, a bunch of people, maybe all strangers, but all wwe fans alike. It must be cool to all witness the event together. It would have the "big time" feel that wrestlemania is supposed to, but you would not have to travel far. Plus it was probably way cheaper than the ridiculous $54.95 or whatever is is to buy it on tv.. what a ripoff.

I have my hopes thaat if they, say, show Wrestlemania in 3d sometime in the near future, it will be played in select theaters. That would be awesome. The theater, not 3d. 3d has taken over way too much. Its enough to make a grown man cry.

Originally Posted by JohnnieGoodtimes
Well, its not exactly closed circuit, but I've spent the last two WrestleManias in Buffalo Wild Wings. I get to eat good food, get drunk, and interact with other fans.

You beat me to it, that's exactly what I was going to mention! LOL! There used to be bars in my area (around 10 years ago, or so) that offered Wrestling PPVs for free. I know that there were some bars (in college areas) that would charge a cover to get in, but around me they were free...besides having to order at least drinks or food (and be 21+).

Even though I feel like an old fart now (I'll be 32 later this year), I was too young to even really know about wrestling when Closed Circuit Television was around. I really didn't even get into wrestling until the early 1990s.

To be honest, I didn't know what Closed Circuit TV was either, so please don't bust on the "young 'uns" for being ignorant. Some of us just don't know. Hell, I remember when I was in elementary school when a fellow student first told me about something called "pay-per-view" (at the time, I imagined it to be spelled "paper-view"! lol!). I remember asking my family what this magical television experience was, but I don't remember getting a straight answer. The kid that told me about it had a satellite dish, and his parents were LOADED.

To get back on point (sorry for rambling), I didn't even know that Buffalo Wild Wings played WWE PPVs at their franchises! That would be awesome to go check out, they have great food (and usually have great beer on tap too). I've definitely gone there to see other sporting events, and live trivia there is a lot of fun as well...especially when there are prizes to win.

Thanks for cluing me in about B-Dub's, I'll have to find out if they offer the PPVs in my area. Now that all of Michigan is non-smoking, I might be able to take my step-son to see some of the PPVs there for free.

I agree with the OP though, seeing the PPVs with like-minded fans is more fun than just your buddies (or alone). You could get into (civil) arguments with other fans, high-five strangers (hahahaha! ...that makes me laugh), and it definitely wouldn't cost as much. Going to a bar/restaurant to see a live wrestling event wouldn't be as big as the Closed Circuit TV situation must have been, but still has to be more fun than watching on your couch.

Idiotique, I live in Michigan too, and in the Grand Rapids area, two out of the three b-dubs were showing Mania so I'm sure one of the b-dubs on your side of the state will show PPVs. Now that we are smoke free, definitely a great place to take your step-son. Be sure to get there early (there was at least a two hour wait when I got there at 5.30 and people were sitting on the floor in the lobby half way through the show) and maybe try to stay away from the bar area, lots of colorful language going on tonight. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back