How Much of An Impact Is A Wrestler's Size In Your Eyes?

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
At any given time, there are any number of debates regarding how important a wrestler's height & weight is in regards to his career, at least here in the United States. In the grand scheme of things, it's really only been within the past decade or so than we've seen significant main event success for wrestlers here in the United States under, right at or just slightly over the 220 pound mark consistently in large numbers. Or, I should say, at least when it comes to the larger companies as smaller guys have made it to stardom on the indie scene since forever. Smaller wrestlers have been major stars in Japan, Mexico, some parts of Europe and various other countries for decades.

I know that match endings are scripted as pro wrestling isn't a 100% legit sport and, as a result, anybody can win at anytime. However, as it pertains to main event spots, do you/would you have trouble buying into a main eventer if he was a certain height & weight? Over the past few years, we've seen some posters state that Bryan & Punk aren't believable. Both are around the 6'0" mark, with Bryan maybe being about 5'10", and at the 210-220 pound mark. Compared to overly muscled guys like Batista, Ryback & Brock Lesnar, they don't look as threatening yet, at the same time, they're also guys who're, compared to the average person, right at normal or slightly above normal. So, for me, it's not that much of a stretch.

What got me thinking about this was Rockstar Spud. As of last night, it was revealed that he had the Feast or Fired briefcase containing an X Division title shot. Now Spud has a good deal of personality, he's shown that he can be talented on the mic and that's never a bad thing. But, for me personally, his size difference is on the extreme side when compared to most other men in pro wrestling. Spud's about 5'3" and weighs 125-130 pounds, which is about 6 inches shorter and 55-60 pounds than the average UK male. Because of his size, I honestly just don't think I could buy into him as a main eventer. As a wrestler, if you're shorter & roughly & heavy as most of the women on the roster, it's just harder to take said wrestler seriously in a main event spot, at least for me.

I think as a smaller wrestler you can have a very solid career but not as a main event or champion level. I'm talking about someone like an Eddie Gilbert, who is under 6' but has some muscle or Daniel Bryan at under 200 @ 5'10". Bruno was only 5'10" but made up for his height with bulk at about 250+. I didn't know he was that small but Spud would fall more in the category of a Spike Dudley and be more successful as a lightheavy/junior or doing a Luchadore style but I don't think he's at all trained for that. Nothing against Spud but he just can't come across as a credible opponent for your average wrestler but maybe as a Bill Alphonso type manager. The WWE does that David beating Goliath stuff but it's just an embarrassment to me as a long time fan.

For me, it's not a massive deal. The caveat I would add is that if you are going to be small (let's say any cruiserweight) then you have to have something extra in some department: be it unbelievable speed and agility like Rey or Kalisto, a big ability to take punishment like ECW prime-era Spike Dudley or some kind of credibility in a legitimate sport or grappling in the way that KENTA brought forward. Of course it's easy to argue that one big lariat from a big guy would kill them off, but I'd counterargue that you could structure a size-disparity match better than major US feds currently do. It doesn't just have to be back-and-forth.

I wouldn't give any small guy a long run but if they're over, interesting and can work then I am happy to look at it. Marufuji is currently GHC Heavyweight Champion and just shy of 200lbs. At first it was great because he's an awesome worker with lots of flash and style, but just about now he's beginning to test the bounds of credibility after defeating serious heavyweights like Nagata, Kojima, Sekimoto and Sugiura - three of whom are ex-world champs. Next up is Minoru Suzuki, a former world champ and MMA champ. It would be pushing it a lot to have Marufuji go over.

I find small guys just as lacking in credibility as very big guys to be honest; that is to say neither would be heavyweight world champion of real fighting but they both have the capability to add something interesting to a title picture outside of 'serious 215-275lb guys with good bodies'.

Some examples:
  • Floyd Wayweather: 5'8" under 150lbs - turned would be boxer Big Show's face to mush.
  • Bruce Lee: 5'7.5" 135lbs.
    [YOUTUBE]Mjks2kiCPXo[/YOUTUBE]​
  • Rey Mysterio: 5'4" under 140lbs in WCW - beating the likes of Kevin Nash, Scott Norton and Bam Bam Bigelow. He may have bulked up by about 40lbs in the WWe and his WHC run may have been a bust but nobody questioned when he beats a 6'6" 290lb bruiser like JBL in less than a minute.
  • "Nature Boy" Buddy Rodgers: 5'11" 195lbs. Legendary name who had victories over Sainted hardmen Lewis & Thesz.

Basically, wrestlers size means nothing to me. Believability in the performances is what really matters, if strikes look like they have force and the larger opponent sells them like they have force then their legitimacy should not be questioned (the Japanese 'Strong Style' provides great examples of how a smaller guy can look legit badass).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back