How much do we really know about Technology?

I was having a bit of a debate with my friend the other day. It was based on a hypothetical situation where we were sent back 1000 or 2000 years to Rome or London or wherever. The question was, what could we possibly do to benefit that society? If a man came up to us and asked us to build some great technology from the 21st Century, we would have no idea what do do?

I mean, the Romans already had some pretty neat things. Indoor Plumbing and Vomitoriums. We would have to really give them something cool. I mean, how many of us around here actually know how the technology we use everyday works? They already knew about simple things such as the wheel, and its not like I know how to assemble a computer out of raw materials. My question is, if the emperor of Rome brought you before the Senate for you to show some 21st Century knowledge, what on earth would you do?

. I mean, how many of us around here actually know how the technology we use everyday works?
I'm fascinated by the theory of computer hardware, programming, networking, security, administration, all my life. I didn't wanna just know how to use it, I wanted to make it better, I wanted to understand how and why it works that way. I wanted to innovate.

I think this is the true definition of a hacker.

Then again, I've never really cared how game consoles, hdtvs, stereo systems and other types of technologies work.

I really think that you are onto something here, MRC.

When I think about how I would help the people of 1000 years ago, I have no idea how I would be able to explain anything to them. You could try and explain how a computer works and what it does but there is no way that you could ever tell them about electricity and how it is generated and how it is supplied to everything that we use today. I think that we definitely take technology for granted in a huge way. We use it all of the time but we never take the time to find out how much work is put into making them work. This is a great question to ask yourself and something that would have you stumped for years.

Take, for example, the computer. We all use them and they have become such a huge part of everyone lives but no one in the 10th century would have a clue what you are talking about You could not explain file sharing or what a file was. You could not explain the many millions of calculations that a computer carries out and if you tried, you would be labelled insane. I guess, we are just lucky that we live in such a technologically advanced period of time and everything seems to be getting easier for us.

I'm going to go with mising potassium nitrate, Sulphur and Charcoal and giving a demonstration of its effects when ignited. The Romans, or any other people of the time would find hundreds of uses for gunpowder.

Or alternatively I'd give them something that the romans could use but didnt have, like compases (always helpful), the number 0, or sometihng else practical that they can use. it doesn't have to be present day technology (possibly a rediculously basic printing press), just something the Romans never had.

I'm going to go with mising potassium nitrate, Sulphur and Charcoal and giving a demonstration of its effects when ignited. The Romans, or any other people of the time would find hundreds of uses for gunpowder.

Or alternatively I'd give them something that the romans could use but didnt have, like compases (always helpful), the number 0, or sometihng else practical that they can use. it doesn't have to be present day technology (possibly a rediculously basic printing press), just something the Romans never had.

The point of this thing is to examine something a little bit deeper than that, I believe. For instance, saying that you could give them gunpowder is fantastic but what if you could not take anything back with you. You had to explain to these people how things react when they are mixed and how things can br created. You would have to explain to them about all of the properties of what you are trying to do and that is where the real challenge lies.

Technology is something that we take for granted because we have it. I don't know how most of the electrical equipment in my house works, so explaining it to people would be almost impossible. Could you create a compass out of raw material or explain the virtues of a zero? I don't know if I could.

well the materials to make it are pre existing. I'm pretty sure that they had charcoal, they definately had sulphur, and potassium nitrate could be manufactured using shit, piss, ash and soil. Not to mention that we're not teaching them science from first principles here, they have some idea of the basics, and they can derive things backwards from what they have. They'd need to understand what happens, not how or why. to put this into context, could you tell me how a painkiller works, or the numerous tests that a tablet's gone through to make sure thaty it works? Probably not (for the record they inhibit an enzyme called cyclo-oxygenase, and there are a veriety of tests it has to go through), you just know that numbs your pain. Not to mention that most of mechanics was derived backwards (explaining preexisting phenomina).

and the benefits of a zero is that it means you dont need a separate symbol for 10, 50, 100, 500, 1000... I'm not too eloquent but it means you need 10 symbols, rather than an infinate amount. it also makes maths much easier. and yes, a compass could easily be made from raw materials. you need string and a lodestone needle. tie the string around the needle in the middle and dangle. the needle will now point north, and hey presto you have a compass. they arent that complex.

you could also make simple batterries from acid (such as lemon juce or vinegar), a clay pot, a cork bung, and two different metals (e.g. copper and zinc). put the acid in the pot, dip the two metals in the acid (through the lid, so you dont need to hold them up and get electrocuted) and you have a cell. once again I'd let them discover uses and explanations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back