• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How low do the ratings have to go before....

Folks, there was a time when WWF was shown at Midnight. Yes, kids watched it, but not as many as they do today. Eddie Einhorn's IWA, CWF, NWA from the Olympic, Titanes del Ring, and WWF's show for the Latino market were all shown after the late news. In fact, only EMLL had their airings in New York at 3 PM on a Saturday. To go one even further: There was a time when you had to be 16 or older to watch a card at Madison Square Garden. It was only during the early part of Bob Backlund's reign when that changed. So, even if VKM WANTED to do PG-14, it would cost him a fortune.

Not sure about if the rating will change or not and for people saying its a different world should really look at the popularity of shows like Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead etc. That 18-35 market still likes violence, sex appeal etc. Really what it comes down to is whether WWE is looking to change their business strategy at the moment.

Everything about WWE right now is about consolidation, less-risk and generally keeping a tight control on everything. It shows in their product, theyre having big trouble creating some new mainstream stars, why? Because they are not really letting them do anything that strays from the norm in pro wrestling. Another reason is the extremely bipolar product you are seeing which is trying to cater to audiences that are aged 4-50 which is why you are seeing such a mish mash of a product that includes badasses like Brock Lesnar being champion and match involving a Bunny, a Gator & a Bull. Instead of trying to capture a wide audience WWE really should make a choice and stick with it. Either make the whole show filled with characters like Bunnies, Bulls & Gators and go G or PG or have a product that has badasses like Brock Lesnar and people wanting to kick Brock Lesnar's ass and go TV14. Only then will you see some change in this pretty bad product at the moment.

Not sure about if the rating will change or not and for people saying its a different world should really look at the popularity of shows like Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead etc. That 18-35 market still likes violence, sex appeal etc. Really what it comes down to is whether WWE is looking to change their business strategy at the moment.

Everything about WWE right now is about consolidation, less-risk and generally keeping a tight control on everything. It shows in their product, theyre having big trouble creating some new mainstream stars, why? Because they are not really letting them do anything that strays from the norm in pro wrestling. Another reason is the extremely bipolar product you are seeing which is trying to cater to audiences that are aged 4-50 which is why you are seeing such a mish mash of a product that includes badasses like Brock Lesnar being champion and match involving a Bunny, a Gator & a Bull. Instead of trying to capture a wide audience WWE really should make a choice and stick with it. Either make the whole show filled with characters like Bunnies, Bulls & Gators and go G or PG or have a product that has badasses like Brock Lesnar and people wanting to kick Brock Lesnar's ass and go TV14. Only then will you see some change in this pretty bad product at the moment.

While I agree with quite a chunk of your comment something just rubs me the wrong way...why can't they target both demographics today? They have tried for it before!

Who was the target demographic for Eugene? Serious question? Was it the adults? The kids? I think it was kids, yet never do we hear about how Eugene was some plague to wrestling.

Even in the past there were even wackier ideas: magician, Oz, a leprechaun, mentally challenged grown kid and that's just characters.

We had an angle where somebody got his dick cut off(Val Venis), a cross dresser(Vito? I think that's who it was), we've seen a guy drive a milk truck to the ring and spray everyone down with milk, crushing someones car with a monster truck...I mean for real. Think about some moments in WWE/F lore and you realize they seem like they asked children to come up with them.

Character who seems all about his penis, how would you Johnny at age 8 take care of him...well I'd cut his penis off. Well what's funny to see Johnny? A guy wearing girls clothes...that's funny! What would be humiliating to happen on live TV? Being forced to drink milk...if someone you didn't like had a nice car what would you do...

Does that make sense to anyone else? I'm just saying they have always targeted kids and it isn't an issue. I will gladly watch an hour of Raw for kids to enjoy my hour for adults. It's nothing new and it won't go away

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back