How bad are the Raw announcers?

Is JBL, Cole, and Lawler worthy of being the Raw announcers?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
I agree! But I'd like for them to get rid of Michael Cole. He wants to be a superstar like the wrestlers. He needs to accept his role and do that.

My issues come down to a few things. First, how about saying something constructive about the match in front of you? They spend so much time talking about the segment that just happened, the opening segment, the upcoming main event that they don't actually add anything to most matches they call which is kind of the point of having them.

The constant "blah blah blah well ..." needs to stop too. I understand that they are trying to think of what to say but saying "well" all the time gets annoying fast. They have writers, write them a script so they know what to say.

Finally, JBL has to go. He adds nothing to the commentary. People like him because he is supposedly a heel but really he isn't. All he does it cut down people and flip flip - if Cole likes it, he hates it even if he liked it the week before. I don't think he actually knows how to put someone over in a promo other than himself. He was a joke as a champ and is a joke as an announcer. Also, anyone who wears a hat knows you don't lay it on a table like he does with his, not unless you want to ruin the brim.

It's really awful, I can take or leave JBL, but Cole and Lawler need to go. I always disliked Cole but ever since he turned face again I really cant stand him anymore. Lawler just sounds so damn fake it pisses me off, and half the time he don't even know what hes talking about.

Lawler doesn't watch wrestling and doesn't care about it. He's just there for the check and it shows.

Cole is glib, clinical, and coolly detached from wrestling; this is a job and no more. His "emotion" almost always sounds fake and forced, not like JR's genuine enthusiasm.

JBL is good but overbearing. He has genuine insight, having been a performer, but I wish he'd shut up sometimes. That said he's the best of the three by far.

I was noticing during Wrestlemania (Don't know why it took so long.) that none of the announcer's tone changed during the "hot" parts of the match. They didn't get excited for near falls and only react to the actual finish and that was only sometimes. How are fans at home supposed to get excited about a match if the announcers aren't? My other complaints are that their banter is awful. JBL bounces back and forth between faces and heels. I don't think the heel commentator should ever insult a heel. His job should be to make excuses for the likes of 3MB and other bottom feeding heels. Cole needs to improve on play by play and Lawler flat out serves no purpose. I think I'd have Lawler either take over as the heel color man or just bow out and become an interviewer or something.

Everyone's favorite announcer Jim Ross has nothing but praise for the three of them. I personally wish Lawler would stop commentating just because of all the shit he says about the female talent. Cole and JBL work just fine without him. Their direction is also hectic and it showed when they were self aware during the WeeLC match at Extreme rules "Oh look it's like Raw they're not calling the action!" They know what's pissing the fans off, but they've got people in their ear giving them points to talk about and what to build up later in the show. Like JR says they're doing the best they can do under the direction the company wants them to go in.

Everyone's favorite announcer Jim Ross has nothing but praise for the three of them.

Jim Ross has nothing but praise for almost everybody. He avoids doling out criticism whenever he can.

What irks me about Lawler these days is how he sounds so disinterested, even in the big matches. Yes, the product sucks but you're the color commentator; no matter how shitty a match is, you're supposed to make things feel interesting.

As much as I dislike Cole, at least the man actually tries.

It's kinda simple, and I think it will already have been mentioned in the posts above. The WWE in the last years has turned into way too much soap opera. It isn't wrestling anymore, it's pure, I mean just entertainment. Therefore, the announcers don't build what is going on in the ring, but the general psychology of the feud. Even though this could help remind us what is going on in the feud and the lengths that the two competitors have gone to to get to each other, it is more a disgrace than help. The two guys in the ring put on a show for the people and you are supposed TO CALL THE DAMN MATCH! I wanna know what the move that guy did is called, and build up excitement, build up the competitors etc. Most of the time the commentators just have a vendetta with themselves and try to get back at each other with cheap insults and not pay any attention to the match.

Thing is, it isn't really the commentators fault, at least not in my eyes. You do what you are told. Vince tells them to talk randomly, so they will talk randomly. There have been cases where Cold actually calls a match and gets me excited. JR was calling the match because that was his job and wasn't told otherwise.

We all know the importance of a good commentary, but if someone is to blame, that is the officials and Vince. What infuriates me the most is how the completely don't pay any attention to certain stupid feuds (Fandango-Santino) and talk about Bryan and the Shield and Evolution during their match. I mean, yea, the fans aren't interested either, but you could at least try and pretend that you care so that people might actually get to care too.

There are so many wrongs with the commentary now, but it is what it is because of Vince. I don't think Cole doens't know the moves or can't call the action properly. He is just told to biild the psychology surrounding the feud overall and not the match. The only cases where they call most of the match are high-tier matches. One that comes to mind is Cena vs Punk on Raw for the #1 contender's spot at WM against the Rock. Even though the commentary started a bit slow,talking generally about their feud, when the action started to pick up, they did too. I believe that's the problem many times though. We all know that a top - tier match isn't gonna end in the first 5 minutes, so we are just waiting it out most of the time and I think the commentators do that too.

The blame goes solely on the guys feeding the info through their ear mics. If you watch a match nowadays, those 3 are either talking about one of the bigger feuds, babbling about something that has nothing to do with anything or hyping the Network.

Isn't wrestling knowledge why Matt Stryker got let go? He knew too much about the moves and describing them and the match, they let him go because they felt he wasn't entertaining enough.

I don't think any of the three announcers are terrible. Unfortunately most posters can't get past JR and the fact JR is no longer there and is not coming back.

As for the announcers, making jokes and telling stories more than calling the action in the ring. I agree that is annoying, but that is not the announcers fault, they are doing what they are told to do. Joey Styles even mentioned it in is "Shoot" promo he did when he "quit" and left to help reform the ECW

I'm sure its been mentioned before, but I'll say it again. Nobody gives a shit about the SELL anymore. You gotta SELL THE HELL outta of what is happening in that ring and on that screen. It all has to be the most important thing happening at that moment.

I can understand these veterans not having the same enthusiasm. They have just had so much of the business and they probably don't have it in them anymore. As far as the young guys are concerned, they are being raised up the wrong way with all the over telegraphing and communicating. More spontaneity! More SELLING!

I actually like JBL on commentary. I think he does his job well of supporting the heel while at the same time showing excitement for the face. Cole isn't nearly as interesting, but as a strict play-by-play guy, he gets the job done. Which is good because I remember his stint as a heel commentator and man that one was painful. When Lawler is actually interested he can weave a good story, but during some of the more repetitive segments, he sounds very bored which is understandable as the segments are boring.

I don't have a real issue with the commentary team. I don't really find Cole as terrible as people have him cracked up to be. I think he's passable as a play by play commentator. JBL is fine too though I much prefer the older days when Cole and JBL were a commentary team back in 2007, I think it was. I thought their chemistry was at least more humorous back then.

I don't know why Lawler is there anymore honestly. I like him and all but he adds nothing to the commentary team other than nostalgia, I guess. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter to me. I don't really pay much attention to the commentary half the time anyway.

They're pretty bad but then you happen to turn on TNA on a random Thursday night and realize just how bad "bad" can be.

I think JBL bothers me more than anyone. I was happy to see him back at first and I understand a lot of people like him, but he sounds so forced, loud, and annoying. And that seems to be purposely what he is aiming for, but that doesn't mean it comes across well. He plays devils advocate "heel announcer" so much that he ends up contradicting himself in the span of a few minutes. He'll sympathize with shady heel tactics one minute, then say something negative about them, then one of the other announcers point out that he said something different a few minutes ago, and he tries to justify it. And yeah, I get that a heel announcer can purposely do that sometimes, so full of it that they don't mind contradicting themselves, but JBL does it too often.

I get why people hate Jerry but he says the least of all and is just kind of "there". Cole isn't too terrible lately. He laughs a little too often like he's making fun of the show we're all supposed to care about.

I'd be fine with giving an entirely new team a try. But short of that, I wish JBL would just tone it down a little bit. Yes heel announcers have always been cartoonish and over the top but JBL just makes it feel like the most annoying wrestling fan in the world is screaming in your ear for 3 hours.

if they would actually focus on whats in front of them it would be 100 times better. half the time they dont even call the match and talk about something else.

i wish there was a way to mute just the commentary. keep the crowd noise, the in ring noise, and anything on a mic. but eliminate the sound of JBL, Cole, and King from my tv.

It's not just a chemistry issue. As soon as you tune into Raw you see two old guys; one that has been commentating since the early 90s and a overbearing cowboy. Then they start talking and their material is dated. The problem is that they don't give you a modern perspective of wrestling culture or pop culture.

Cole is great. He just needs commentators who the audience can connect to while he calls the action and gives us information. I don't need every move to be called, just tell the story and Cole can do that with the appropriate reaction to each situation.

JBL and Lawler drag him down. I would much rather see The Miz and someone like Titus with Cole. Both are entertaining talkers who are aware of the modern landscape of pop culture and who know the business to a degree. Two guys who look good on the camera, dress well, and who don't have a clear direction in the WWE. If you are going to promote the youth movement, it should be in all areas.

The best announce team will always be Gorilla and Ventura...

You have to remember alot of things if you want to complain about announcers, first off their fed alot of the crap they have to say any wrestling documentary can tell you that. Secondly Vince keeps changing his mind about what they want announcers to do, play heel play face be boring commentators, don't have a personality, don't talk wrestling terminology, I have seen the commentary team change hats so much in the last 4 years its a little irritating.

Now with that out of the way, lets talk about the announce team.
Michael Cole - he was a punching bag for the attitude era, especially when it came to the original DX (watch the original DX movie), then he got a chance to commentate when JR had one his bells palsy bouts and did WM 15 with The King, and he wasn't bad. The problem was he didn't have a personality then. Then when he was heel he had a personality you loved to hate, but his passion when he talks about high spots gets lost in his banterous jokes and you do sometimes lose interest in his matches.

The King- Jerry Lawler has been at this since the 90's he went from being a heel commentator to a commentator you can't hate, he has been using the same jokes since the 90's which may make him seem vanilla at times, but sometimes he has those analogies that stick and when they let him get passionate too it adds to the match.

JBL- He is probably one of the best announcers right now, but a lot of what he does is kissing McMahon ass, all those things he usually says is Vince in his headset, but he was good with JR during the brand split, and he brings that little bit the table because he portrays heel but still sympathizes face.

So breaking that down are they the best announce team? No, but they do have a chemistry that makes it work and when it matters they do bring an A game. Could be worse could have a team of Mike Adamle and Josh Matthews being carried by Jonathon Coachman...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back