• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Heavyweight Unification - Second Guessing Myself

The WHC is merely on hiatus until WWE brings back the Brand Extension. They will go to the well again. That's what they do!!!

I find it odd that the WWE went and refurbished the WWE title using the scratched double-double-u logo, and then created a more streamlined version of the logo for the WWE Network. In an effort to get their new belt made, they pasted a logo on it that's around 15 years old.

The unifying of the belts was done in a silly way. If I remember correctly, John Cena up and wondered why they don't just have a unified champion. He was fresh off of destroying any credibility that Alberto Del Rio ever earned and needed a new schtick. So they decided to unify the belts, in a fucking ladder match.

Now, I realize that there have been many classic ladder matches in the history of pro-wrestling. I don't consider a ladder match to be a decisive win over another opponent, all you did was trudge up a fucking ladder slower than Randy Orton's dialogue. Gimmick matches like these are where John Cena is more than happy to lose, he doesn't get pinned and while it makes the transition to a unified champion look fucking stupid it also saves him from the embarrassment of being beaten decisively.

I realize that for any reasonable person, the current mix of titles is a decent balance. The WWE is too busy wasting any viable material they have on either the world champion, or the idiots who they want to be world champions later and thus have to keep using in interesting ways. If the WWE went and invested any marketable creativity on the mid-card, they might accidentally make their world title prospects look less interesting by comparison.

It's a perfect opportunity for WWE to build up the US title and IC titles and they're just not doing it. The IC title was at one point, the secondary title in WWE, like what the World title used to be. It wasn't just for midcarders. I think that WWE needs to capitalize on the unification and emphasize the IC title and US titles more. That would alleviate the problem you're talking about.

I agree. Big E could have easily defended his title against Swagger and Cesaro at Wrestlemania. I can't recall any memorable title defenses he's had consistently, his title defenses seem random.

As far as Ambrose, I like the Cena/Wyatt match up, but it would have been a great time to have him defend his title against Wyatt. The crowd would have bought into it too.

I think they should add a "money in the bank" match for an IC or US title match. Since there's no world title now, at the MITB PPV have one of the MITB matches be for the IC or US title contract.

The problem isn't that they unified the belts. I supported that decision and still do. The problem is that they have not elevated the Intercontinental and US Championships as much as they should have following the unification of the two world titles. Before the unification they had a top tier, an upper midcard tier, a midcard, and jobbers. Those tiers are more or less still there, but the necessary shuffling of the remaining belts has yet to fully take place. The world title unification can still be very beneficial for the federation, I'm honestly surprised that they have not moved the Intercontinental Championship up to where the World Heavyweight Championship was, as the upper midcard belt. It makes all the sense in the world to do so. They do not need to have two midcard belts.

So if you had a belt for the top tier and the upper midcard tier, but two in the midcard tier, it makes sense for the two in the midcard to receive less attention. So if the belt for the upper midcarders is removed from the equation, why then are there not wrestlers fighting for the Intercontinental Championship who a year ago would have been fighting for the World Heavyweight Championship? Make the more prestigious and important of the two midcard titles be the upper midcard belt now that you no longer have one. It's not rocket science. I hope WWE still ends up doing this at some point. It would help the Intercontinental Championship become respected again and give several members of the roster something better to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back