Has Raw Become A Modern-Day Nitro?

I agree with this.

If you look at these facts you might too.

Older guys seem to come and go as they please whenever they're plugging shit.
Edge on that Syfy show, HBK and his hunting, the Dwayne and his movie G.I Joe which has been mentioned oh so many times are just a few and then they go away again.

Then the older guys who are still with the company, Trips, Nash, Taker for instance get a lot of screen time, a lot of the hype, the pomp and circumstance and absolutely punish the lower card when they do. I don't mean just physically but their characters too. Remember when Sheamus injured H, then H went away, came back and demolished Sheamus by that table?? It took nearly a year to restore his credibility.

A lot of the undercard aren't happy, fact.
The title is now just a prop.

they seem to think they have to rely on older talent rather than give the younger ones a chance. Remember that no.1 contender ladder match between Jomo and Sheamus last year?? That was Main event standard...and what do we get instead?? Nash the Vet dropping Trips on his head...Sometimes experience isn't all that important.
Nash wants a cheque, younger guys want a chance.

Middle titles mean nothing.........EVEN THOUGH Cody, Dolph and AirBoom are putting on some of the BEST matches on ppv's, hell even on raw and smackdown.

to me there are a lot of similarities to today's WWE product and the WCW that failed. Which REALLY is a pity imo

MFROmack:

you are so interested in being right that you wont actualy learn from anything. That quote was public record regarding Turner's lack of controll over WCW and his entire conglomerat during the period of the merger with AOL and the sell of WCW.

Why are you bringing up 02 when WCW was long gone? The period i am educating you on is from the Fall of '99 to the spring of '01, and Turners lack of controll over anything regarding WCW. I will educate you some more on even Bishoff's lack of controll over WCW from 98-99.

re read:

"The word out of the corporate offices is that Ted Turner was furious to learn that he was not consulted in the sale of WCW. The word is that Turner made it be known that if WCW was sold to a property associated with Rupert Murdoch (FOX Sports), there would be trouble. Turner and Murdoch have a long and rocky history with one another. As for Turner's involvement in WCW, due to the corporate structuring of his conglomerate, he had very little input or say in the runnings of WCW."

MFROmack:

More quotes from Turner proving his title as "vice chairman" was effectivly symbolic:

Thus, despite being an innovator and garnering headlines, Turner never commanded the "connections" necessary for being a media master. He finally decided if you can't lick 'em, join 'em, and he sold out to Levin's Time Warner.
Ted Turner summed it up:* "I've had an incredible life for the most part. I made a lot of smart moves, and I made a lot of money. Then something happened, and I merged with Time Warner, which looked like the right thing to do at the time. And it was good for shareholders.
** "But then I lost control. I thought I would have enough moral authority to have all the influence in the new company. If you go into business, be very careful with whom you merge.
** "I thought I was buying Time Warner, but they were buying me. We had kind of a difference in viewpoint. Then they merged with AOL, and that was a complete disaster, at least so far. I have lost 85 percent of my wealth."

During the past month or so, I've seen several posters on this forum suggest that Raw has come to bear much in common with the product seen on WCW Monday Nitro from 1996-1998. I was wondering how you guys felt about this. As you all know, back in those days Nitro set the standard for what it meant to be a compelling wrestling show. It was innovative, fun and relevant to pop culture without using the profanity, sex and over the top violence that was found on attitude era Raw. It had controversial, taste-lacking storylines at times, but not to the degree that Raw did.

Personally, it makes a lot of sense to me when people compare the Raw of today to the Nitro of 1996-98. We saw the CM Punk storyline last summer which blurred the lines between kayfabe and reality, we've seen a new champion named Alberto Del Rio win some titles in controversial fashion and we've seen announcers being annoying (lol). What we haven't seen much of is sexual content, blood, over the top violence or racy storylines. While we have seen widespread use of the word "ass" and occasional slips of words like "bitch" and "douchebag," these words are far more acceptible now than they were in the 1990s.

Another thing I've seen brought up here is how some of the rising stars on Raw have a WCW "look" to them, namely Alberto Del Rio and Dolph Ziggler. I agree with that notion whole-heartedly.

So what do you guys think about these comparisons?
If you've read any of my posts where people say that the "PG era is just like the golden era of cartoon characters" and then I respond by saying "no the PG era is more like 96-98 Nitro" then you know my answer is an emphatic YES.

People on here are generally stupid. They don't research things, they don't actually ever go back and watch old shows, and they prove their opinion through more opinions.

If they did research and actually thought for one second (as you have, headman does, and many others are starting to do), they'd realize that today's product is a LOT like that era of Nitro.

Personally I like it. It's a product that's enjoyable to a wide-variety of people. It's still an extremely successful show. Plus it's not frowned upon by parents and sponsors.

In my opinion, Attitude era raw was cheap. Yea they got over. However, a bunch of talentless greasy horny fake italians can 'get over' if they are trashy enough.

today's product has more taste and is still entertaining. Which is MUCH harder to do than simply producing a Jersey Shore/Jerry Springer show.

I agree with this.

If you look at these facts you might too.

Older guys seem to come and go as they please whenever they're plugging shit.
Edge on that Syfy show, HBK and his hunting, the Dwayne and his movie G.I Joe which has been mentioned oh so many times are just a few and then they go away again.

Then the older guys who are still with the company, Trips, Nash, Taker for instance get a lot of screen time, a lot of the hype, the pomp and circumstance and absolutely punish the lower card when they do. I don't mean just physically but their characters too. Remember when Sheamus injured H, then H went away, came back and demolished Sheamus by that table?? It took nearly a year to restore his credibility.

A lot of the undercard aren't happy, fact.
The title is now just a prop.

they seem to think they have to rely on older talent rather than give the younger ones a chance. Remember that no.1 contender ladder match between Jomo and Sheamus last year?? That was Main event standard...and what do we get instead?? Nash the Vet dropping Trips on his head...Sometimes experience isn't all that important.
Nash wants a cheque, younger guys want a chance.

Middle titles mean nothing.........EVEN THOUGH Cody, Dolph and AirBoom are putting on some of the BEST matches on ppv's, hell even on raw and smackdown.

to me there are a lot of similarities to today's WWE product and the WCW that failed. Which REALLY is a pity imo
Dumb post. What killed WCW wasn't Hogan, hall, Nash, Goldberg, Sting, and Flair beating Vince 80 something weeks in a row, it was Ted losing control of his products.

You don't understand wrestling. "X had the best match of the night" OPINION. If you were saying "Triple H isn't over at all but JoMo was getting the loudest pops ever" then you'd have a case.

Pro wrestling is a business, wrestler's are products. Know this, and you'll understand the WWE.

Also, WCW never built as many stars as the WWE has. Punk they've made. They're clearly making Sheamus right now. I bet Barrett, Ziggler, and Rhodes aren't far behind.

If "5 star matches" made a wrestler, Davey Richards would be a millionaire.

TWJC THE BEGINING

Quotes from Ted Turner proving your entire point on why WCW failed. (and all these quotes are public)

Thus, despite being an innovator and garnering headlines, Turner never commanded the "connections" necessary for being a media master. He finally decided if you can't lick 'em, join 'em, and he sold out to Levin's Time Warner.Ted Turner summed it up:* "I've had an incredible life for the most part. I made a lot of smart moves, and I made a lot of money. Then something happened, and I merged with Time Warner, which looked like the right thing to do at the time. And it was good for shareholders.** "But then I lost control. I thought I would have enough moral authority to have all the influence in the new company. If you go into business, be very careful with whom you merge.** "I thought I was buying Time Warner, but they were buying me. We had kind of a difference in viewpoint. Then they merged with AOL, and that was a complete disaster, at least so far. I have lost 85 percent of my wealth."

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back