Has he become a star yet?

Roman Reigns has become a star now?

• Yes.

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.

ShinChan

Gone. For. Good.
I'm talking about Roman Reigns.

Has he become the next star after Daniel Bryan and CM Punk in this 2kish decade?

If I consider the wins he has gotten and the rubs he has gotten, he's a star. Defeating The Undertaker at Wrestlemania with only Brock Lesnar the other one to do it. Headlining three consecutive Wrestlemanias. Royal Rumble winner. Has had multiple good matches. Going to defeat Brock Lesnar at Wrestlemania 34 as it looks right now.

If we assume Meltzer's report about merchandise sales to be true, then he's a star since only John Cena is above him in sales.

However, I don't think that he has become a star yet. He'll become a star, that's what I believe as of now. Maybe after Wrestlemania 34.

So, is he a star for you already? Stars as in John Cena, or even Daniel Bryan or CM Punk.

Well, it depends who you ask. At a time there were many people who were reluctant to call John Cena anything but crap. I think everyone is past that though. For Roman Reigns, it depends who you ask. If you ask the kids, they'll likely say he's the biggest star. If you ask the adults, depending on particularities, they could probably say he sucks and will never succeed. Roman Reigns is such an incredibly polarising character that that in itself begs the question as to whether that means he is a star. People are always talking about him. He gets a reaction from everybody. That says a lot and depending on what it takes to be a star, I'd definitely say that he is.

Equally, of course, Katie Vick is NOT a star but she is regularly brought up. So it really depends. If we look at kayfabe credentials, he's a 3x World Champion, United States Champion, Tag Team Champion, Royal Rumble winner, and headlined WrestleMania three times in a row, beating Taker at the last one. In those terms, he is a star. But if we compare him to past stars like Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock, John Cena and even Daniel Bryan among more, then I'd have to say no. The character pales in comparison to any of these guys, not that that is his fault, but it's the truth. Though maybe we are mistaken in comparing him to these guys. After all, some would call Roman a heel nowadays.

When all is said and done, I think more people than not will look back at Roman Reigns and say that he was definitely one of the biggest names of his time. He got everybody to react in one extreme way or another, and definitely was a talking point among many at different points in his career. In an era where fans cheer for whoever they want rather than what a storyline dictates, I think the perception of who or what makes a star can only be determined retroactively at the end of one's career. For me though, there's no doubt he's got something more than most.

May as well ask how one defines a "star" than what any of us think of Roman. They are all stars in some sense, Roman is more of a star in the sense that he has a bigger role than most. No one should consider him a "great" despite his kayfabe resume. He is most hurt when you hear that the SD tour outdraws Raw.

I'm not particularly a fan of Roman Reigns, I think the guy would be a very strong mid to upper mid-card talent but, from a personal standpoint, I just don't see the overall ability needed to be a full time main event level guy. I'm not saying that to slam Reigns just to be doing it or people who're fans of his, I just feel that there are loads more people on the main or NXT rosters that are just simply, flat out better than he is. However, the fact remains that the guy is a star and nobody but internet fans could claim that he isn't with a straight face. If you were to take any internet darling and put him in Roman Reigns' shoes as a 3 time WWE Champion, US Champion, Tag Team Champion, Royal Rumble winner & probable guy who retired the Undertaker, you'd be ridiculed if you tried to make the claim that he wasn't a star. I get that Roman Reigns isn't someone that's embraced by internet fans for various reasons. Some don't like him because he didn't spend 10+ years on the indie scene, some don't like him because he's a product of WWE & they feel its their duty to boo the WWE Machine, some don't like him because they simply don't think he's all that talented, some don't like him because he's got the whole tall, dark handsome stud thing going on & resent that their girlfriends/fiances/wives want to go to bed with him, etc.

This isn't a personal preference question. Really, the question is simple - does he draw money? Apparently the answer is yes. He moves merchandise and ratings/viewership is up and down, which seems to be the new normal. Merchandise sales show the general audience, at minimum, accept him, and maybe even prefer seeing him over most wrestlers. He's a star. Saying otherwise makes you look as though you're incapable of separating fact from opinion.

Is he a star? That's not even a question anymore. Roman Reigns is a name that's even known by non-wrestling fans nowadays. I guess it depends on how you look at it tbh and what you're aiming at with the question. Plenty of names including Reigns on the roster that aren't legends are stars The Miz, Kofi Kingston (or even the entire New Day as a unit), Sheamus, Seth Rollins, and even Sin Cara to name a few are all names you'll hear a non-wrestling fan mention. But if you're going by drawing power and merchandise sales soley then it's not a question.

If you're asking if he has cemented his role as the TRUE Face of WWE then it would all depend on who you ask. WWE's considers him the Face of WWE now, which is a point driven home that is forced on the announcers to say every show. So if that is where you're going with this then for full-time talent only that's without question in my books with John Cena now partially retired. IF you're asking if he is on the same level as legends on the current roster such as Cena, Jericho, Rock, Triple H, AJ Styles...then NO! I didn't list Randy Orton because imo right now he is a bigger name than Randy in WWE. B

He already is a star, whether anyone wants to admit it or not, its not really up for debate. What is up for debate is whether he can be what Vince wants him to be and that is a star on the level of John Cena. If I had to bet on it, I'd say that Roman Reigns will not be hosting the ESPYs or the Kids Choice awards or anything along those lines. He just doesn't seem to have that natural likeability or charisma. But as far as within the wrestling bubble, yes he's a star and he's going to be a top guy for a long time.

We can debate if he is WWE no1 guy now. Or will he be remembered as somebody who was no1 but not a draw like Kevin Nash or somebody who was no1 and a draw like John Cena now. But guy main evented 3 Wrestlemanias and retired Undertaker and every time he is there produces biggest reaction of the night. There is no question if he is the star or not.

He gets the loudest reaction everywhere he goes, so I guess, he's a star. He also moves almost the same merch as Cena. That's another thing stars do. His matches are always good. Whether it's against Big Show or Strowman, or against Styles and Bryan, Roman has never failed to deliver a good match. Some could have been better, like his past two Mania matches.

If he's not a star by default, he's definately the biggest star out of the full time roster.

Back in the day, a star would be denoted by how many asses he put in the seats. Nowadays, it is really based on merch sales, as House shows do not matter anymore. In THAT regard, Reigns is a star.

I would say Roman Reigns has become a star. Insiders feel his matches are improving and he can hold his own in the ring. He works hard in the ring and on the mic and shows the ability to adapt. I feel Vince McMahon is hindering his progress as he showed glimpses of a great heel after Wrestlemania with his promo about this being his yard. I feel that by him going heel he would earn a lot more respect and be credited as a star within the company amongst the majority of fans.

Back in the day, a star would be denoted by how many asses he put in the seats. Nowadays, it is really based on merch sales, as House shows do not matter anymore. In THAT regard, Reigns is a star.

This is not true. As of 2016, WWE made more money off live events than they did WWE Shop, venue merchandising, and licensing combined. Roman is a strong merch mover, but he's also a good draw at the house shows. I agree; in any money making capacity he's a star.

In the IWC, Roman is undoubtedly the most talked about name in the industry. Like him or hate him, he generates buzz. And that's what matters. If Roman doesn't have star power, then I'd say it would be fair to say that neither does anyone else.

In Kayfabe, Yes, Roman Reigns is a star. But for me what matters more than accomplishments is the emotion.

I haven't yet felt that Roman Reigns is a star. I may eventually but as if now, I don't. The way John Cena differentiates from a wrestler or Daniel Bryan or CM Punk, I haven't felt the star appeal of Roman Reigns yet. Yes, he's a talented wrestler and has achieved a lot. He may be the most talked about but if we consider this, then Jinder Mahal is the most talked about now and I don't think that he's anywhere near a star.

He's a star for sure. You can't main event 3 Manias, come close to winning a Rumble, winning a Rumble, winning the WWE Championship, part of a three man dominating stable, have your merch match Cena and get big reactions (positive or negative) in nearly every show and NOT be a star. He might not be on the same wavelength of past stars like Stone Cold, Daniel Bryan or Jake the Snake Roberts, but he's definely "a" star.

This is not true. As of 2016, WWE made more money off live events than they did WWE Shop, venue merchandising, and licensing combined. Roman is a strong merch mover, but he's also a good draw at the house shows. I agree; in any money making capacity he's a star.

In the IWC, Roman is undoubtedly the most talked about name in the industry. Like him or hate him, he generates buzz. And that's what matters. If Roman doesn't have star power, then I'd say it would be fair to say that neither does anyone else.
Not when it comes to a SINGULAR draw. You once said it yourself that the WWE BRAND is the draw. I was talking about Roman Reigns putting asses in the seats for people wanting to buy a ticket to SEE Roman Reigns.

No. Doesn't do enough flippy kicks.

In all seriousness he's obviously a star, but he's obviously flopped in multiple attempts to make him the number 1 baby face. And it's all on the character, and the fans being dumb bandwagoners, because he brings it in the ring.

Whether people want to admit it or not. Reigns CAN wrestle and is passable/average enough on the mic, and he brings a big fight feel to every match he is in... THIS alone makes him a star. The only problem people including me have with reigns and you have to be an idiot to not understand this reigns has been given 4 "1 guy" moments. He will have his 4th mania main event and moment IN A ROW and has been booked as an invincible guy that never loses. This makes me want to vomit, I hate the way the guy is booked and I hate that this guy gets so many moments to succeed meanwhile some guys on the roster do not even get 1.

Whether people want to admit it or not. Reigns CAN wrestle and is passable/average enough on the mic, and he brings a big fight feel to every match he is in... THIS alone makes him a star. The only problem people including me have with reigns and you have to be an idiot to not understand this reigns has been given 4 "1 guy" moments. He will have his 4th mania main event and moment IN A ROW and has been booked as an invincible guy that never loses. This makes me want to vomit, I hate the way the guy is booked and I hate that this guy gets so many moments to succeed meanwhile some guys on the roster do not even get 1.

What I've been saying all year, but it's something fans do when it comes to every Face of the company. Hell, after Daniel Bryan won the title two weeks later fans were beginning to turn on him. When it comes to the Franchise Player in any sport kids will idolize them, women will be all over them, and most men will hate them. Same situation with John Cena, same situation with a LeBron James in the NBA. Most men won't start to respect him until he reaches legendary status like the names above and won't begin to admit that he had any drop of talent until after he's retired off the scene or atleast one step out of the door.

I'm not sure of the question, He is a star on the basis of him being the face of a major worldwide entertainment company and also the fact that we are talking about him right now, We are not talking about Apollo Crews or Bo Dallas for example, To a certain extent anyone who works in the WWE is a star, If your meaning is he one of the most over biggest names ever in wrestling yet? No he's not even close but its still early he's just getting started so who knows, He's not on the level of a Hogan, Austin or Rock in their prime but nobody is, any faults I have would be with the WWE for rushing to the top spot too fast and soon to the point where fans are turning against him instead of building him up and letting him develop naturally which they also did with others like Cena too much too soon where it feels like they paid zero dues.

Let's see...
He's won the Royal Rumble,
He's a three time world champion,
He's feuded with some of the top guys,
He main evented WrestleMania three times in a row,
His merchandise sells like crazy,
And he's beaten legends such as Triple H, Batista and The Undertaker.

All things considered, i'd say that makes him a star. Not to Cena's level, but pretty close.

Sure. When an established company worth potential multiple billions of dollars give you their entire platform and audience at your disposal you are going to be pretty popular. He may not be as good as current others would be on that platform, or endless individuals prior but he's going to be popular no matter what. Whether that be for better or worst.

Let's see...
He's won the Royal Rumble,
He's a three time world champion,
He's feuded with some of the top guys,
He main evented WrestleMania three times in a row,
His merchandise sells like crazy,
And he's beaten legends such as Triple H, Batista and The Undertaker.

All things considered, i'd say that makes him a star. Not to Cena's level, but pretty close.

Pretty much this. Add in the fact he and Brock Lesnar are the only guys to beat taker at Mania, goes to show what WWE think of him. If you main event after main event, consistently get booked as the best guy in the company and already have 3 world title reigns then you are more than a star. Everyone would have to agree with that. You would just not like Roman if you say he isn't a star. What the hell does the guy have to do to be considered a star.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back