Has Culpepper Been Blacklisted?

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
If a mod feels this should be merged into the NFL thread, please do so. This season, so far 3 starting QB's-Tom Brady, Brody Croyle and Vince Young- have gone down with multiple week injuries. The Ravens and Falcons both have rookie starters who are unproven, and the Bears QB situation is week to week. Despite all this, Daunte Culpepper, a still relatively young, completely healthy, and very talented QB can't get a job anywhere? He is 31 years old, the same age as Tom Brady. I find it difficult to believe that he can't get at least a backup job somewhere. The Pats brought in Tim Rattay and Chris Simms for potential workouts to be the backup. I know Culpepper is past his prime, but he's certainly better than they are. Why can't Culpepper get a job?

I've been trying to come up with a reason for several days since he retired and I can't think of a single one. The word that I've heard is that it was because he now acts as his own agent. Why should this make a difference? He was never the top player in the league, but certainly good enough for a few spot starts here and there. The only reason that I can think of is people are skeptical about his knee, which he injured two years ago. What are your thoughts on why he isn't getting hired?

Culpepper retired dude

Daunte Culpepper, unable to land a starting or backup job this offseason, announced his retirement at the age of 31.

Culpepper had one-year offers from the Green Bay Packers and Pittsburgh Steelers this offseason for backup jobs, but didn't find those offers suitable. Though his surgically reconstructed knee was healthy and his arm still strong during visits to those teams, Culpepper decided to end his career.

"After taking a long look at my career and my personal convictions, I have decided to begin early retirement from the NFL effective immediately," Culpepper said in an e-mail.

"Since the beginning of training camp, I was told my opportunity would come when a quarterback gets hurt. I cannot remember the last time so many quarterbacks have been injured during the preseason," Culpepper said. "I have been strongly encouraged from family, friends and league personnel to continue to be patient and wait for an inevitable injury to one of the starting quarterbacks in the league.

Culpepper On Retirement
Former Vikings, Dolphins and Raiders quarterback Daunte Culpepper announced his retirement from the NFL on Thursday. He issued the following statement:

When free agency began this year, I had a new sense of excitement about continuing to rebuild my career in the same way that I had rebuilt my knee after my catastrophic injury in 2005. Unfortunately, what I found out was that the league did not share any of the optimism about me as an unrestricted free agent that I expected. In fact, there was an overwhelming sense that there was no room for me among this year's group of quarterbacks; whether in a starting, competing or a back-up role. No matter what I did or said, there seemed to be a unified message from teams that I was not welcome to compete for one of the many jobs that were available at the quarterback position. It seems that the stance I took in both Minnesota and Miami regarding my rights as a person and player has followed me into free agency.

After taking a long look at my career and my personal convictions, I have decided to begin early retirement from the NFL effective immediately. Since the beginning of training camp I was told that my opportunity would come when a quarterback gets hurt. I cannot remember the last time so many QB's have been injured during the preseason. I have been strongly encouraged from family, friends and league personnel to continue to be patient and wait for an inevitable injury to one of the starting quarterbacks in the league. I would rather shut the door to such "opportunity" than continue to wait for one of my fellow quarterbacks to suffer a serious injury. Since I was not given a fair chance to come in and compete for a job, I would rather move on and win in other arenas of life.

The decision I made in 2006 to represent myself rather than hire an agent has been an invaluable experience. I now understand why so many people within the NFL community are uncomfortable with a player really learning the business. The NFL has become more about power, money and control than passion, competition and the love of the game. Regardless of this shift, player's rights are still supposed to be a part of this league. Since I will not be given the opportunity to honor the memory of Gene Upshaw by wearing a patch on my uniform this year, I will instead spend some of my energy applying what he taught me about standing up for what is right and not sitting down for what is clearly wrong.

I want to thank my family and my fans for their unwavering belief in me as a person and a player. I embraced both the peaks and the valleys of the game and my career. I am a better person today as a direct result of the experience of playing in the NFL. I can now focus on the enjoyment of watching some of the greatest athletes in the world play the game I love without the distraction of waiting for those elusive return phone calls.

Thankfully,
Daunte Culpepper

"I would rather shut the door to such 'opportunity' than continue to wait for one of my fellow quarterbacks to suffer a serious injury. Since I was not given a fair chance to come in and compete for a job, I would rather move on and win in other arenas of life."

Culpepper, the Vikings' first-round draft choice (11th overall) in the 1999 draft, played nine seasons for three teams -- the Minnesota Vikings, Miami Dolphins and Oakland Raiders.

His best days were in Minnesota, where he established himself as one of the league's top quarterbacks. Together with Randy Moss, he was part of one of the NFL's most-feared quarterback-receiver tandems.

During his career, Culpepper completed 1,867 of 2,927 passes for 22,422 yards and 142 touchdowns. His career quarterback rating was a lofty 89.9, and he was a three-time Pro Bowl selection. His best season was in 2004 when he threw for 4,717 yards and 39 touchdowns for the Vikings.

But he blew out his knee the next season, and his career wasn't the same afterward.

The Dolphins acquired Culpepper in 2006 in exchange for a second-round pick, but Culpepper played only four games before being shut down because of continued knee problems.

He was sacked 21 times in those four games, and his brief stint with Miami had two compelling images: Getting sacked seven times in his first home game, where fans booed him by halftime; and walking off the field during minicamp in June 2007, flanked by a team security official, because the Dolphins wouldn't let him practice.

Last season, the Raiders took a shot on Culpepper, and he made five starts there, throwing only getting five touchdown passes in those games.

"The thing about Daunte was he was a fabulous competitor," Raiders coach Lane Kiffin said. "He competed as hard as anybody on our field and that's unusual for a quarterback."

The past few months, Culpepper tried to get any opportunity around the league, even saying just last week that he'd be willing to be Aaron Rodgers' backup in Green Bay.

"Now that dream to get back on the field and prove everybody wrong is behind him," said Dolphins defensive lineman Vonnie Holliday, who talked to Culpepper about his ongoing comeback quest this summer. "It has to be tough. ... When he was healthy, he was definitely one of the best."

But there were no takers, and Culpepper saw no reason to keep waiting.

"When free agency began this year, I had a new sense of excitement about continuing to rebuild my career in the same way that I had rebuilt my knee after my catastrophic injury in 2005," Culpepper said Thursday. "Unfortunately, what I found out was that the league did not share any of the optimism about me as an unrestricted free agent that I expected. In fact, there was an overwhelming sense that there was no room for me among this year's group of quarterbacks, whether in a starting, competing or a backup role.

"No matter what I did or said, there seemed to be a unified message from teams that I was not welcome to compete for one of the many jobs that were available at the quarterback position. It seems that the stance I took in both Minnesota and Miami regarding my rights as a person and player has followed me into free agency."

In Minnesota, Culpepper's decision was met with disappointment, even though he hadn't played there for years.

"Very surprising. Surprising that he hasn't gotten a job, too. Sad," Vikings safety Darren Sharper said. "Last year I didn't think he played bad in Oakland. I've seen quarterbacks that are still playing in this league today play a lot worse. ... And they still have jobs. So I don't know the reason for it."

Added Holliday: "If he was anywhere close to 100 percent, it would seem teams would have to take a shot at him. You look at the league and you see a lot of teams don't have that high-profile, quality quarterback."

Before And After

In 2004, Daunte Culpepper had the kind of season NFL quarterbacks dream of. For the next three years, he struggled through the kind of nightmares that make QBs wake up in a cold sweat -- a catastrophic knee injury and a frustrating comeback that ended Thursday in retirement. Here's a look at those four seasons.
Daunte Culpepper: 2004 And After Category 2004 2005-07
Games 16 18
Comp pct 69.2 61.2
Pass yds 4,717 3,824
TD-Int 39-11 13-20
* Suffered season-ending knee injury during 2005 season

Culpepper is one of the few players who hasn't had an agent. He represents himself.

"The decision I made in 2006 to represent myself rather than hire an agent has been an invaluable experience," Culpepper said. "I now understand why so many people with the NFL community are uncomfortable with a player really learning the business. The NFL has become more about power, money and control than passion, competition and the love of the game. Regardless of this shift, players' rights are still supposed to be part of this league. Since I will not be given the opportunity to honor the memory of Gene Upshaw by wearing a patch on my uniform this year, I will instead spend some of my energy applying what he taught me about standing up for what is right and not sitting down for what is clearly wrong."

I'm sure the guy is sitting at home right now, and kicking himself, retireing at sucha young age, was probably not the smartest move of his career, if he had just waited a few more weeks he'd probably have a job now, but the guy made his decision and he has to live with it now, well....unless he pulls a Favre that is

there is a reason why culpepper doesnt have a job. He sucks, plain and simple . Moss made Culpepper, and it showed after Culpepper leftJustin KB said he knows he retired.Anyways when Culpepper came to PGH he thought he had a chance to compete for the starting job :lmao:.
Get it right, he wanted too much money, he isnt really mobile he he straight up sucks.He doesnt have his priorities straight. The reason why he isnt getting hired boils down to several things.
1. He isnt good.
2. Too much money
3. Too injury prone.
No one wants to pay that much for a guy who more than likely is going to get injured.

Justin, he said he retired because no one would hire him.

That's very true that Moss was the main reason that Culpepper was what he was, but its not as if Culpepper was a total failure. Flacco and Ryan are totally unproven, when Collins started for the Titans he was 0-4, and Cassel played well in one game. I just find it hard to believe that none of these teams wouldn't sign him as the second string guy. Michael Turner isn't going to get 220 every game. Eventually we're going to see what Ryan is made of. Same with Cassel and Flacco. If they bomb, Culpepper if nothing else has starting experience. No way he's ever a franchise guy again, but I'd think he's at least worth a shot.

But, nobody would hire him because of his injuries. No NFL team wants a QB with multiple knee and hamstring injuries, certainly not one whose bread and butter relied on running just as much as it did passing. Culpepper's injuries are the reason he doesn't have an NFL job. Had he remained healthy, Culpepper could probably be a starter on multiple NFL teams. He didn't remain healthy though. I don't buy the argument that Moss made Culpepper, any time you have a talented QB and talented WR, they help each other, not one making the other. Jerry Rice didn't make Joe Montana or Steve Young any more than they made Jerry Rice either. In Minnesota, Randy Moss was amazing...but, as a fan of a fellow NFC North team, having seen Culpepper play against my Lions, Culpepper was a pain in the ass to play against. He was the size of a tight end, and he didn't have problems running. You always had to account for him some how. BUT, that was before all the leg injuries. Scrambling QBs that can't run anymore are useless. Culpepper was never a very good pocket passer. He always did better throwing on the run, out of pocket. Is he blacklisted? No. Its all about the injuries.

I think the biggest issue for Culpepper is that he thinks he can still be a starter, he wants to be a starter and he believes he deserves starter money. But like previously stated he's not in a position to be a franchise quarterback anymore, he's getting old and it's not certain how well his knee is.

Teams over this past off season offered him deals and he turned them down because they weren't what he was looking for. I wouldn't call him great but I definitely wouldn't say he sucks either, he's for sure good enough to be a backup somewhere. So this issue isn't about him being blacklisted and no one offering him anything, he's just not willing to accept anything less then a starting job with big money.

Culpepper wants more money. Culpepper believes he can still be a starter, and we all know thats ridiculous.

Flacco and Ryan are unproven because they're rookies, all rookies are unproven, but starting is a way to prove to the world that they could start in the NFL, and be a legitimate starter for years to come. When Brady went down, they're going to there backup. Thats what they are there to do. Back up the starter when they go down. Cassell has been with the Pats for several years. He has been in that system for several years so he knows the system. So in all honesty, why bring in a new guy who wants a lot of money and doesnt know the system when you can have a guy who gets paid little money but knows the system?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back