• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Status
Not open for further replies.

X

RIP Sgt. Michael Paranzino / RIP CM
16lyz3c.jpg

Strange that there isn't a thread for this film yet, I know there are many Potter fans on these forums. I've been greatly looking forward to the new film, and have thus far heard nothing but good things about it. Even critics who aren't Potter fans are raving about it, calling it masterful. Apparently it's supposed to make the darkness of the previous films look like child's play, and this can only be a good thing. I've been rewatching the earlier films this week, and the first two are incredibly cheesy and schmaltzy, more so than I remember. From the third film on though the series has been fantastic, with each director bringing their own unique touch to the series.

The film is released this Wednesday, and will undoubtedly make an insane amount of money, as all of the films have. I don't care how old I become, I will always adore this franchise.

So, anyone else excited? Think it looks good, think it looks bad? Let's hear some opinions. Also use this thread to post any reviews for the film once you've seen it.

Oh and for those who have read the book we all know a MAJOR event occurs at the end of the novel, but remember not everyone has read the books, so PLEASE NO SPOILERS!!!

I can't wait. I'm not usually this excited, but I think that because I know there are no more books, I'm hanging on to the films as really the last things to come out of Harry Potter.

Half Blood Prince is my favourite book by far. I'll probably re-read it tomorrow before I see the film, just because I like reading the books beforehand. I'm hoping the film will be just as good. The trailer seems to show the film being a lot darker than any other films, which I am quite excited about, but maybe should reconsider taking a 7 year old..

I've heard it's very average. Which would mean it's clser in quality to the first two than the previous couple.

They're all very similar. Enjoyable, bad acting from the younger ones, good acting by the oldies.

There will never be a great Harry Potter film. When the whole series is finished people will come to the conclusion that they would've been better off making the films once the whole series of books had finished.

I think my mom said it best; "Did Harry Potter whine so much in the books?"

She said that after she saw Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (or maybe Prisoner of Azkaban) whilst I was doing my thing at Arkansas Governor's School. She couldn't understand why Harry would suddenly turn into a whining little bitch.

That's what I expect from this movie. Harry, despite the fact that he is fighting an evil wizard that is the most powerful wizard in his time, will whine about stupid shit like Cho Chang not fucking him in the Owlery or Draco Malfoy giving him a snide look in the Great Hall.

However, if I can get past Harry, the movie promises to be great. The darker tone of the films thus far has been in par with a society that is slowly losing itself back to the hopeless that enveloped them only a decade or so before. The acting will be great. Also, the sheer amount of craziness that kicks off with this book will only help force the movie going, instead of allowing it to slow to far down, ala Watchmen. That movie took SO long to get going.

All of that, plus Emma Watson. Come on. I'd watch paint drying if it had her telling me how the molecules of the paint were sealing together.

I, for one, and both psyched for and dreading the release of the film in the states in 39 hours and 18 minutes.

Psyched because I've become a fan-boy. I dragged my feet on Potter for years before Becky finally wore me down. I've now read all but the first two books (why bother?) and read part 7 twice. I am re-reading 6 in anticipation for the film.

The dread is because the film opens at 12:01 am and I got tickets to the first show. This means two things. 1) seeing the film with the obnoxious teens who don't shut up during movies, and 2) getting to bed at 3:00 am and waking up at 6:00 am for work. Can't take the next day off, I have training to conduct. Not looking forward to 3 hours of sleep.

Either way, though, every trailer and photo makes it look fantastic, and I am very happy they didn't compromise the content for the length.

Evening screenings are probably different over here, but I've always found them to be empty. Most people can happily wait an extra 10 hours to see a film, so it seems.

I've also found that noisy teens shut the fuck up if you tell them such.

I'm not attracted to Emma Watson at all. Just need to throw that out there. Too posh and too young for myself.

I am with Jake on Emma Watson. Quasi-cute, but I'd never be so devoid of other spank-bank material to a point where I'd need to conjure up thoughts of Hermoine Granger in Snape's potions closet. I prefer Bonnie Wright, who plays Ginny. Red-head and all, you know.

Jake, as far as the late showings go, all I can say is - lucky you. Midnight showings are HUGE in the states, and since high school kids can see them in July sans reprocussions, they will be a huge percentage of the clientele. And kids in the US are likely less respectful of film etiquette than in the UK. I cannot stand them, and I pray I wasn't as obnoxious as they are when I was 15.

I've always been respectul at the cinema, even as a teen. With the exception of when I entertained all the people watching Final Fantasy with an impromptu dance.

My daughter doesn't finish school until the end of the week. If she was finishing on Thursday I'd take her to the first screening on Friday, those are usually empty as well.

I can't wait for tomorrow night. A bunch of my friends and me are going to the midnight release of it.

Half-Blood Prince is my favorite book of the series. I don't know why, but I read this book in like 2 or 3 days. I guess I like this one best because it was the follow-up to, IMO, the worst book in the franchise.

The movie looks great. All the privews I've seen make it look really dark. It seems to me that Harry Potter has gone from a childrens franchise to more of a franchise that everyone can enjoy. I just hope they don't change too much stuff around. I'm excited to see the whole end sequence at the castle. But the only thing I've seen that I don't like about this is that it's rated PG. The last 2 or maybe even 3 have been PG-13. I just hope they can continue to make the movie as dark and crazy as the book and not be rated the same as the last few installments.

I think they are able to get the PG rating because whatever violence exists is in a strictly magical sense. I know they are going to have the scene in the movie with Harry using a violent spell, but since it's magic and not the use of swords, guns, knives, etc. to harm or kill, the MPAA is a little more generous with the rating. It's not realistic violence.

I think they are able to get the PG rating because whatever violence exists is in a strictly magical sense. I know they are going to have the scene in the movie with Harry using a violent spell, but since it's magic and not the use of swords, guns, knives, etc. to harm or kill, the MPAA is a little more generous with the rating. It's not realistic violence.

Exactly. What's a child going to do after watching Harry Potter, say 'Avada Kedavra' with a stick they've found in their garden? There's nothing in it which a child could ever attempt to copy and cause actual harm, so the PG rating is fairly easy to attain. Although I think it's a 12A here, which is probably the same as PG13.

I love the sixth book. It's my absolute favorite in the series and I intend to start re-reading it today. You know... just so I can notice how many of my favorite scenes they leave out of the movie. :rolleyes: In addition, I've been rewatching the films aiming for a Thursday viewing of the new one. POA tonight, GOF tomorrow, OOTP the following night. I'm pretty stoked as the trailers look pretty decent but I have this bad feeling that certain things will get MUCH more focus than other things... or so I've read. I just hope some of the important parts don't come off as rushed or anything.

Oh, and I had a GREAT midnight showing experience last year with The Dark Knight. All people in their late teens and early 20s pretty much, but nobody said a word during the film. It was shocking and awesome. That and I loved the movie. I pray you have the same luck as I had last year IC.

Well thus far I've heard nothing but good things about the film, I've yet to read a bad review for it, even from critics who come right out and tell you that they hate Harry Potter, and didn't enjoy any of the other films. If even people who hate Harry Potter thought the film was great, I've got high expectations for it.

One of the things mentioned in a review I read was that the film is more realistic than any of the previous. It opens in the real (or Muggle) world, and apparently is much bleaker and gritty then any of the previous films. Apparently the special effects as well are supposed to make Transformers 2 and Terminator 4 look like direct to DVD movies.

Excitement overdrive right now. So everyone really, really loved the sixth one huh? I don't know if that one's my favorite. I mean, I must have read the 2nd and 3rd books about 40 times each back in middle school, so they hold special places in my heart. What am I talking about, every single one of them holds a special place in my heart. The only book in the series that I haven't read a good dozen times atleast is probably the last book, because I let a friend borrow it and haven't seen it since. I really have to go get a new copy.

To be honest the only Potter film I've really enjoyed was The Goblet of Fire. But, having read alot of very, very positive reviews about Half Blood Price, I am very excited about seeing it on Thursday night. Weirdly my Dad is the one who booked the tickets as he appears to really like the films... meh, free admission. :)

Half Blood Prince is one of the better books in the series, infact it's probably second to The Goblet of Fire in my opinion, and I'm very interested to see how it's been adapted into a film. The one problem the Harry Potter films have had is getting all the important bits of the books just right in the films. Still, the trailers look great and even if the film turns out to be shit, it stars Emma Watson... so I'll still leave the cinema with a smile on my face. :)

Hells yeah I'm excited. This will be the best movie to date of the series and is one of the better books so this should be awesome. I hope they've done Voldermorts history well, that needs to be done right.

It's gonna be awesome, very excited. After this, only 2 movies to go. I heard they will be releasing the last one (Deathly Hallows) as 2 movies... FUCK YEAH

I'm quite looking forward to it, by all accounts it's very good and improved massively on the last film, which was a bit of a letdown. I think where they went wrong with the last film, is that they were trying to make it more action packed, but they really didn't pull it off, but hopefully with this latest movie they can.
The Half Blood Prince, is one of my favourite books, and hopefully with better special effects and more mature acting from the youngsters, this could be a big hit.
I have quite enjoyed the Harry Potter series of films, even though some of the acting is quite dodgy and it can be quite cheesy, it's escapist fun in which everyone can enjoy, and hopefully with improved special effects and better acting this will be a better film than the rest of the films in the series, I'm actually quite excited to see this now.

Just got back from seeing it. Very enjoyable, very, very good. I'm not sure if it was as good as the 4th film, but it's certainly up there. The ending was done very well. The only complaints I have about the film is that some of the editing was atrocious (which I'm sure 99% of you won't notice or care about) and that they really left out a lot from the book. Though I guess if the worst complaint you have about a film is that there wasn't more of it, that must be a pretty good film.

If you enjoy the books, go see it for sure. Very well done. Review coming shortly in my review thread.

I totally agree, X. It wasn't as spot-on as the fourth film, but there were some bright spots.

I was, again, impressed by the acting of the older actors. The gentleman who plays Horace Slughorn was terrific, and layed the role exceptionally well. The Dumbledore role was again played well, and he got to explore some additional emotions with the cave scene.

I was disappointed with the back seat Neville has to take, especially after his Order of the Phoenix heroics.

Variety said:
'Harry Potter' nabs $58.4 million
WB pic casts spell over box office

By PAMELA MCCLINTOCK

Warner Bros.' "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" grossed a magical $58.4 million from 4,275 theaters as it opened Wednesday at the domestic B.O., including a potent $22.2 million in midnight shows.

Film was pacing well ahead of the $44 million earned by "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" on its opening Wednesday exactly two years ago. "Order of the Phoenix" posted a five-day opening gross of $139.7 million.

"Half-Blood Prince's" midnight runs were the best ever for any film, besting the $18 million earned by Warners' "The Dark Knight" last summer, as well as the $16 million grossed by Paramount's sequel "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" earlier this summer.

The strength of the midnight shows that those who grew up on Hogwarts' most famous boy wizard may have gotten older -- millions are now young adults -- but remain loyal to the franchise.

Forecasts for the five-day opening vary. Some are predicting "Half-Blood Prince" would post a five-day domestic opening of $125 million to $150 million, while others put it higher.

"Transformers 2," which grossed slightly more than $200 million in its five-day debut, posted an opening day gross of $62 million.

Pent-up demand could be playing a factor in the success of "Half-Blood Prince." The last, and final, book, in J.K. Rowling's series was published around the time that "Order of the Phoenix" was released, meaning two years have passed without a Harry Potter sighting.

An older fanbase could be part of the reason why the midnight shows were so strong.

Kids who were learning to read when the first book came out are in 1997 are older teens now, a ripe aud for midnight showings.

There's always been an adult fanbase too, but parents with younger kids gravitate to daytime dates.

"Half-Blood Prince" has another ace up its magician's sleeve when it comes to family fare: While the last two pics earned a PG-13 because of darker themes, "Half-Blood Prince" was awarded the more friendly PG rating, easing parents' concern about whether to take younger tots. (Warners said it didn't ask for the rating and assumed it would get a PG-13 classification.)

Film is opening day-and-date in every major overeas territory. "Harry Potter" films have been even more successful overseas, and no one's willing to handicap how high "Half-Blood Price" will go in foreign realms. "Order of the Phoenix" grossed $646.2 million internationally and $292 million domestically.

Early estimates showed "Half-Blood Prince" grossing north of $3.2 million in Australia, the third best opening day gross ever after the last two "The Lord of the Rings" pics.

Source: http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118006070.html?categoryid=13&cs=1&ref=bd_film

So, it appears that we aren't the only ones who enjoyed the film, eh? I think we all knew the film was going to do well, but even I wasn't expecting it to do this well. I'm actually quite shocked it beat the record that The Dark Knight set for opening. I mean, jesus man $58.4 million dollars?! That's more money than most Hollywood movies make IN THEIR ENTIRE RUN IN THEATERS! And Potter has done it in one night.

Be prepared everyone, it's looking like Potter is going to best the 5-day record of The Dark Knight of $203.7 million if it continues like this. Looks like Wednesday releases are the new Fridays.

[Very Mild Spoilers] - Did anyoen think when Harry took the liquid luck he seemed kinda stoned? And was Hermoine suppsoed to be tipsy afetr having the butterbeer on the way bac kfrom the pub? And got looked like he had dropped a couple of E's when he had that love potion in him, but that's a kind of obvious connection to make :p

Absolutely fantastic movie. They left out things from the book, but as a movie it was fantastic. There was a shot in there, of the castle at night, panning to the different windows, that left me in awe. Beautiful.
The acting was very, very good. The lines were delevered with great timing.
Horace Slughorn's actor was fabulous. I wish he had been a little more rotund, but he was perfect. Slimy, yet jovial. He had the role down pat.
They did explain things a little too well, but nothing to really complain about. No one turned into Mr. Exposition, and it was a seriously good movie. I highly, highly enjoyed it. Think of it as an extension to the books, not a direct copy, and you'll be amazed. It's my favorite one yet. The directing, the acting, the story itself. Very very good.
[Apologies for not being as articulate as some]

Went to see Half Blood Prince last night and it's by far and away the best film in the series to date. A very enjoyable film. The plot was superbly dished out, it was quite funny in a lot of places and it was well acted.

And... oh my god Emma Watson looked good. So did the girl who played Ginny Weasley weirdly enough...

I'm hoping to see this again with a potential-love interest lol. But I will be there to actually watch the film lol. :)

I watched it today, and thought it was pretty good. I'm a big fan of Harry Potter, although I stopped reading the books after the 5th one. I'm not even sure why, I just never got round to reading them all. Ah well, I'll do it soon.

Anyway, good film. The acting was much better, but I swear Daniel Radcliffe can't cry to save his life? I think they got the balance right with the darkness, comedy and the romance. Very well done.

I thought it was a really good Potter movie. The new elements such as the love interests and the darker story worked well and the character adapted pretty good I think. Again, the visuals were very well done and the effects were top notch. I believe it set up the final movies very nicely and definitely made the viewers craving more. I haven't read the books, but I heard about the ending "controversy". I read up about it and I thought the director made a good choice. If the final book is any indication, the movies will make up for the ending of Half-Blood Prince. Regardless of that, I loved the movie and the ending.

I've seen the movie twice so far, the second time just today. I think it's an amazing movie. I can't get over how grown up they all look and there acting has improved by leaps and bounds. All in all the best movie of the series.

However I have heard people rip the fact that the massive fight between the Death Eater's, Order of the Phoenix and Dumbledore's Army wasn't in there took away from the movie, but how could of it have been in there? I mean really half the characters in the book involved int he fight were left out of previous movies, so you can't expect David Yates to just throw them in without any story given to them.

David Yates had a lot to sort out in this movie and and the next ones. Now I know characters in books do get cut quite often and their parts get placed upon other characters... however here is my problem. The first four movies had three director's between them, which sucks. Reason being, each director wanted to make the movie they were working on flow with their own vision and focus soley on just the one book the movie was connected too. They didn't think farther down the road, about if they cut this character is cut what will it do to the 6th or 7th movie, because that cut character plays an important role in the last movies. They didn't care about that though, at the time it was easier for them to cut that character completely. So now David Yates has to come along and work out the problems that the other director's have caused, so quite frankly it's gonna be hard to stay as true to the books as he and we would have like, but he did a tremendous job in the fifth movie and this one was great as well.

So being that Yates has a lot of backstory issues to overcome and has to modify the movies even more, I believe he did a wonderful job and the movie turned out better than even I expected. So kudos for a great movie and I can't wait for Part 1 and Part 2 of the 7th movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back