• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Guys Who Should've Been World Champion

ZeroVX

2-Time WZCW Mayhem Champion
The title says it all, really. Who do you think are the wrestlers who should've been world champion at least once?

Before we start, a couple of ground rules:

1.) Only List WWE Wrestlers In Here. I realize that this is the WWE section, but I feel I should clarify just to be safe. The reasoning behind is simply because WWE has the most well-known history among fans. There's not much point in talking about people who should've been TNA champion because a) they haven't been around that long, so there could be some surprise world champions, and b) their history isn't as well-known.

2.) Only List Wrestlers Who Are No Longer With WWE. The reason for this is because there's not a lot of point in discussing the current roster, mainly because some of them could still become world champion someday. So, keep it to guys who have either been gone from WWE for a long time, or are dead.

3.) Only List Wrestlers Who Have NEVER Been World Champion. This thread is for the ones who should've been world champion, but weren't and now can't. Not about guys who were world champion, but their title reign sucked because of storyline, or it only lasted a few days or so, or whatever. The fact that they even held the title is impressive enough, and there's a reason some of them didn't hold it for very long.

Now, onto my list.

"Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase. Please note, I do not count when he was given the world title by Andre The Giant, simply because WWE didn't count it. Although, they probably should have. DiBiase was the ultimate heel back in the late 80's. He was the stereotypical greedy businessman we all pictured in our minds when we were kids. He played this role incredibly well, especially with that laugh. My God, I still get chills when I hear that. Plus, he was very good in the ring. He could've been the ultimate foil for Hogan, simply because he was technically better than he was. I wish they had let DiBiase hold the title at least once. I'm sure Wrestlemania IV would've done a lot better if they had Hogan VS DiBiase as the main event.

Mr. Perfect. I'll admit, I'm a bit of a mark for this guy, but can you blame me? This guy was, back in his time....well, perfect. His persona was that he was better than everyone at everything. Simple, yet extremely effective. He was the ultimate arrogant heel. And what added to that was that he could back it up, especially in the ring. He's considered one of the best wrestlers of his time period, if not of any time period, and his record of excellent matches backs this up. Which only made people hate him even more when they realized he was right, that he really was better than everyone else. So why not give him the world title? He could've been an excellent enemy for any world title challengers if he held it. Particularly during Bret Hart's time. We already know these guys could put on an instant classic. Their feud over the Intercontinental Title proved that. It just seems like a huge missed opportunity.

Razor Ramon. Please note I said Razor Ramon. Not Scott Hall. That means Hall under the persona that got him over with the fans, and before he started getting crazy with the drinking and drugs and such. So, why Razor? Well, first off, like I said, he was over with the crowd. His character "oozed machismo" almost every night, and the fans just ate it up. Or maybe they realized he was an homage to Scarface and went along with it. Either way, the fans loved it. Plus, Razor was good in the ring back in the early 90's. He was a nice combination of size, power, and technical ability. And it's not like he didn't get world title shots. He did have a title match during the '93 Royal Rumble when Bret Hart was in his first title reign. Again, I don't know why WWE didn't just pull the trigger with Razor, and it seems like another big missed opportunity.

Owen Hart. I seriously doubt anyone would disagree with me here. Owen was easily one of the best wrestlers in history. That might come off as an exaggeration, but think about it. In his prime, he was an excellent whiny heel. The fact that he was bitching and moaning about almost everything just added more and more heat with the crowd. In the ring, he was easily one of the top three of his time period. His style was a perfect mix of high-flying and technical wrestling, and he could outperform just about anyone he faced. Not to mention he got a pinfall over his brother Bret, who had already been world champion. At Wrestlemania, no less. And, if you were to ask anyone who had worked with him at the time, they'd tell you he was the nicest guy you could know. So why not give him the title? I'm sure someone will say that it was because of the Clique running crazy during Owen's prime, but even so, you'd think he'd earned it.

Test. Now, I know this sounds crazy, but hear me out. Andrew Martin was 6'6" and 280 pounds in his prime, and looked to be in excellent physical condition. Add in the facts that Test was pretty good in the ring, and Vince's seeming weakness for big, well-built guys, and you'd think they would've given him a world title at least once. Hell, giving him the ECW Title when he was on the brand seemed to be a no-brainer, at least as a monster heel run. Sure, his name was ridiculous, but he didn't seem to have a problem drawing heat from a crowd.

Your turn.

Firstly I agree with you on Razor. I don't even call Scott Hall by his real name I still call him Razor, he should have been champion at some point for any given amount of time. Even a very short reign would have helped him. I am willing to bet is he stayed with the company, he would have held the title but he left to WCW where he still never won a World Title.

I also agree with Mr. Perfect. That is the one I am the most adamant about. When I was a kid I thought that guy WAS perfect. Even though he was a bad guy, he was so good I still liked him. I always thought his Perfect Plex was the coolest move ever too, you could tell it was a really skillful move and the fact that Mr. Perfect was the only guy I ever saw do it told me you must have to be perfect to do that move too.

I can't really think of any others off the top of my head. For the most part I think they've done a good job of selecting champions at the top. There's really not too many guys that didn't get the title that could have carried it as well as the guys who did for the most part.

The only guy I don't agree with on your list is Test. I've never been very fond of Test and thought he should stay in the midcard. Just another big guy with okay mic skills. Other than the ones you mentioned I would add:

Roddy Piper
piper21.jpg

Piper was always an entertaining performer and was one of the first main heels who hogan squared off against. It was him along with Hogan and Mr. T who really helped get WrestleMania over. He deserved more in his career than just a tag title run, a IC Title Run and a US title Run.

(Tenta will love this next one)
Earthquake
Tenta.jpg

This guy took out Hogan. if anyone should have deafeated Warrior for the belt, it should have been Earthquake (although Slaughter excelled in his role). There was a time when this man was the most hated guy in Pro wrestling and it could have stayed that way if he was given a championship.

and slightly out of left field:
Umaga
Umaga-died-of-drugs.jpg

Umaga was booked very strongly UNTIL he lost to Cena at New Year's Revolution 2007. Cena should have won by DQ and not pinned him. This leads me to Royal Rumble 2007. This guy could and should have held the belt. He was the best monster (I mean monster as in beast like) heel the company had in a long time and could have had a strong run with the title.

Roddy Piper

Quite the obvious choice, this guy was a hit, he main evented Wrestlemania 1, and had some absolutely fantastic mic skills, in my opinion the WWE's Ric Flair of mic skills (back when he was with WWE) and while he held numerous titles, I would consider him underrated to the fact that he wasn't a world champion, and I think he would've been a world champion if 1. he stuck around rather than going to WCW, and 2. if it wasn't for Hogan, Hogan was destined to keep that title around his waist for quite some time during that period, and that's what killed Piper's chances of becoming a world champion if you ask me.

Ted DiBiase

Another great on the microphone, no Ric Flair and no Piper but still great, entertaining heel role that could really get the crowd going, and he wrestled some good matches, this guy yet another underrated case in the period of Hulk Hogan.

gotta agree with five of the last seven mentioned: own hart, hot rod, ted dibiase, perfect and razor ramon. great talents and legends in their own right. flawless depiction of their gimmicks and incredible reaction from the fans, both good and bad, which was the whole point. they all deserved better.

and excluding christian, the most deserving guy of a world title today, i'd have to say that my two picks are:

1. british bulldog. didn't necessarily need a long title run, but maybe win it on a european tour and lose it back in the states. he wasn't the best on the mic, but not the worst, had a great look and gimmick, powerhouse moves that were pretty amazing for his time and just a fun fan favorite (keeping in mind that i was very young when he was in his prime). but just for sentimental reasons, i think this would have been well served. and he could wrestle some great matches with bret and owen hart, HBK and quite a few others that could have made even a short run of his memorable and credible.

2. vader. one of the best monster heel gimmicks out there and he was pretty athletic given his size. i enjoyed his feuds with mankind, kane and the undertaker. also appreciated the vader bomb as a "big man" move but something different than the typical banzai drop or running big splash. plus this guy could do a top rope moonsault! just a good gimmick and could have given the guy that beat him a pretty credible championship win and run.

I wasn't alive during this time, but to my recollection, Andre the Giant won his only WWF Championship only to immediately hand it over to Ted DiBiase. I get the question, but it seems like Andre the Giant never had a World Champion run, and Ted DiBiase never officially won the title, although had a run. If Andre then counts, as WWE counts him, then I think he should have had more than this extremely quick championship reign.

My picks are Jake the Snake and Rick Rude. Both guys were hated yet respected, and could have had some great main event feuds with the belt.

Though the replies to this thread so far are few, I'm shocked that no one has mentioned Jake "The Snake" Roberts yet. He wasn't a big, muscle bound Hulk (pun intended), nor did he have the absolute best ring work (though I think he was solid). What should've got Jake at least one run with the belt is two-fold.

Primarily, his connection to the fans was undeniable. As a heel, he was completely believable and I'm sorry I never got to see him at a live event in his prime. The snake was an excellent "prop" that further solidified that this was a man you should be very afraid of. The cold stare, the way he carried himself, the way he moved in the ring. On the contrary, Randy Orton does the "viper" gimmick a bit too over the top for my tastes. Roberts nailed it each and every time without ever becoming a parody of his character.

Second, was his ring psychology. Even in those "way past his prime" matches in front of 27 people at a state fair, you could tell Jake was still trying to tell a story. In his prime, he was a master story teller who could work with a lot of different wrestlers. Whatever the storyline was, he most often slipped into the role beautifully. Even that mess with the Ultimate Warrior that saw Jake turn heel and side with the Undertaker, during the trials he was still very believable and the turn was actually surprising to me. Also, at the time I honestly believed he was going to crack Elizabeth with a chair on Saturday Nights Main Event :)

Though through the drunken rants, drug addictions, and other messes Jake has gotten himself into he seems like such an unlikely candidate, I still think Jake could've held a world title at least once. Even if it was in a transitional manner, the prestige of the belt certainly wouldn't have diminished. If given a proper title run, it could've made the belt mean that much more, particularly when a very over face would've eventually beat him for it.

2. vader. one of the best monster heel gimmicks out there and he was pretty athletic given his size. i enjoyed his feuds with mankind, kane and the undertaker. also appreciated the vader bomb as a "big man" move but something different than the typical banzai drop or running big splash. plus this guy could do a top rope moonsault! just a good gimmick and could have given the guy that beat him a pretty credible championship win and run.

Not sure you realise this but Vader was a 3 time WCW Champion and a 3 time IWGP Champion. Thus negating your opoint. It's true he never won the WWF Championship but he's still a former world champion.

and rikishi. his first huge push before the ultimate flop switch to reveal him as the heel that ran down stone cold. rikishi had some of the biggest pops at the time and never did regain that momentum that was lost. but rikishi was a fun guy, cool arsenal of moves, decent gimmick and had been a veteran for long enough that it would have been a nice reward. and in those early years, he had to put up with some pretty terrible gimmicks just to get a paycheck, so why not reward the one gimmick that fans actually liked and believed in?

Ok real quick, i was a huge wcw mark before russo came on board, and i think you guys forgot something real important. Scott hall held the wcw world title for around 2 months or so. Then he lost or handed it off to someone. If noone remembers he beat sting for it not long after sting beat hogan, it was probably 1 or 2 ppvs after that starcade.

As for my pick it would have to be piper. Good in the ring, great promos, and to be bluntly honest he had more to do with hogans success then he will ever be given credit!

Rick Rude

What more did he have to do? The men hated him, the women loved him. He had a great look and was solid in the ring. Did I mention the man can actually talk on the mic too, and made warrior look good? Serious WTF were you thinking Vince when it comes to Ravishing Rick Rude never being WWF Champ.

I don't think I disagree with anyone's mentions. Well maybe Earthquake and Umaga.

One guy who could of had serious heat as a heel WWF champion would have been RICK RUDE. He had an amazing look, the best heel manager of ALL time, and the cockiest attitude you'd ever experience. IMO Rude would have done well with a title run.
My other pics have already been mentioned. The are: Dibase, Curt Hennig, Owen and Razor Ramon.
Dibase would have had an amazing heel run with the title. His whole gimmick was perfectly matched to be holding the gold. Why did this never happen?
Mr Perfect would have been the perfect counter to Bret Hart during his title runs. The matches these two could pull off together are legendary. I always thought this would have been a much better opponent than Nash, Sid, Yoko, etc. get someone in there that can really go with Hart. Would have been much better wrestling TV for that time.
Owen was shaping up to be a great heel. I loved his whiny, bratty little brother gimmick. I thought that if he won the title from Bret, but lost it like a day later it could have made thier fued go nuclear. Could you imagine the shit fit Owen would throw!?!! It would have been great lol
Razor was just so damn popular at the time. He was probably the first heel I've seen get turned face by the audience cause he was so good at being The Bad Guy. I think Razor as champ would have done good business.

I might be in the minority here but I don't think Owen Hart should have won a world title and, if he hadn't died so young and tragically, wouldn't be talked about in such revered standards. He was a solid mid-card heel and a top draw wrestler, no question, but not world title level mike skills or charisma. Even if he was alive today I still dont think Vince would give him a title as he tried him near top and he doesn't cut it.

Now, after I'm ready to be flamed to hell for that the wrestlers I think are:

Million Dollar Man - great worker and one of the most hated wrestlers of his era him holding the title would've made a much more interesting title scene then the Hogan led one.

Vader - as said above one of the best monster heels ever that was wasted in the WWF. If HBK hadn't been such an ass I bet he could've had a great series with him.

Roddy Piper - more personal choice then needed as was massively over as he was but, oh the fun he'd of had with that belt.

Andre The Giant - I dont class him as holding it as was a story to create the title tourney at mania 4 but, again, would've been interesting seeing them give it to him for a few weeks, then do an extra ppv (like tuesday in texas) have hogan win in iffy circs and, viola, still got your tournament. matches would've sucked but, for his name and historical importance, surely deserved it.

and, lastly......
HONKY TONK MAN

I'm glad he never did but, my god, how hated was he as IC Champ, could you imagine that tenfold as a chickenshit world champ? And, even more exciting, whoever had beaten him (say for example the texas tornado) would've been a mega hero straight away

thought we were only talking WWF world championships. my mistake.

If that's true abut this being WWF/E only then, I'm the one who's sorry. As for Scott Hall...he has never EVEEEEEER been WCW Champion. I've no idea where that came from. And one last thing. I forgot to mention:

Arn Anderson
2546059112_c0da5374f7.jpg

This guy could do it all. He could wrestle, he could talk, he could do EVERYTHING. This man deserved to be World Champion. It's unfortunate his career ended in the way it did. Great wrestler.

I have to agree with Ted Dibiase, Roddy Piper, Mr. Perfect, Owen Hart, Razor Ramon, and even Earthquake because he was a monster and would have been interesting to see him as champ.

Other than that I'd say British Bulldog. I think he should have gotten the belt during his short tun in 99' after Owen's death. He was back and making an impact and then all of a sudden he was gone. Not longer after that he passed away. I think Bulldog would have made an interesting champion definitely after Owen's death.

I also hate that Mr. Kennedy got hurt after winning money in the bank and wasn't able to win the title. Everyone knows he would have because every winner did. That may have been interesting.

I think Bobby Lashley should have at least had one run with the WWE Title. I have never seen a guy that size move the way he did. He was as big as Batista but moved like John Morrison. I know his mic skills were not all that but did they really have to be? He looked like there was no one who could possibly beat him. If they can put the belt on Sheamus then Lashley could have had at least a month long reign. I hate how they had Cena go over him at the Bash in '07.

I agree with Ted Dibiase, Mr. Perfect, and Rowdy Roddy Piper.

Just a little story. Ted Dibiase has said that he was actually supposed to win the WWF at Wrestlemania IV but because Honky Tonk Man refused to drop the Intercontinental Title to Randy Savage, they gave the WWF Title to Savage instead hoping Savage wouldn't rip Honky Tonk Man apart. What would have been eh?

If they can put the belt on Sheamus then Lashley could have had at least a month long reign.

It's funny because that's the same thing I've been thinking for so long. If they are willing to throw the title on Sheamus who had no heat at all prior to winning his championship then why didn't they let all these other guys that have been mentioned hold the title? It's just frustrating.

I am so glad that somebody mentioned Umaga. I agree with that completely, and I was so disappointed that he never held the title. He would have made a credible champion and I always thought that he just seemed out of place holding the IC championship. Even without being allowed to speak English, the guy was over with the crowd. He just had a genuinely scary look and it was a pretty big deal if anyone was able to beat him in a match. With Armando Estrada as his manager he was even better. I've said it before on this site that I don't judge wrestlers very harshly on their movesets but I always thought Umaga did this SICK sidewalk slam. I thought it was awesome whenever he did it.

Really the only thing I didn't like about him were his finishers. But other than that I thought he was great and I wish he had held the title.

I agree with most of these and I must say, million dollar man, british bulldog and mr. perfect would be my first choices. For the sake of argument though I will throw out a couple more names.
Crush - a big man that was talented in the ring and had a great feud with Macho Man. he actually had a title shot on Raw once which actually started his feud with Savage.
Hacksaw Jim Duggan - he never really gets the credit he deserves but he was a great worker in the ring. didnt have a ton of moves but sold like mad.
Rick Martel - he was a great heal in his day and could carry matches with almost anyone

Most if all the guys listed so far had a legitimate reason why didnt get a world title. Bulldog couldnt cut main event promos, Rude & Perfect didnt draw on house shows when they wrestled Hogan, Piper didnt need a title and didnt want to clean jobs etc.

Rick Marel was AWA champ btw

DiBiase would be my pick as he was just unlucky.

The top guys that should have gotten it were Piper, DiBiase and Perfect. All three were hugely over, all three could work a match and all three were pretty big draws. I think if you put any of the three in today's era, they are 4-8 time world champs each. Hell DiBiase was so over they made up a belt just for him.

Rick Marel was AWA champ btw

so? maybe this thread should be a little more clear. the way I read it, this is for people that were never WWE champion. (or WWF depending on the time frame). for this reason, I think Vader should be near the top of the list as well. We aren't talking about WCW or IWGP titles.
are we?

Aside from the obvious choices like Piper and DiBiase, I would also throw in Billy Gunn.

Now before I get ripped apart for this just hear me out.. He had the look of a champion, a great gimmick, and he had a varied arsenal of moves. When he left DX he was way over with the crowd. If you watch some videos you'd see the pretty huge pops he was getting. I THINK they only gave him one shot against Triple H and if you watch the match the crowd was very into it. With the right marketing, Billy Gunn could have been a great champ.

Ron Simmons, i thought he was great as Farooq and should have been given a shot with the belt. And I also have to agree with Jake Roberts, he was hated as a heel and his matches were great.

My picks would be British Bulldog, Mr Perfect and Ted DiBiase, but they have already been picked, but I have another one, someone that hasn't been mentioned yet. It may be because I was always a huge mark for him, but what about.......
Tazz
He was huge in ECW and carried that momentum into WWE, He had a great finisher, and the rest of his moveset was brilliant as well. He could even cut promos. The guy had no obvious weakness, apart from his size, but he always seemed like a legitimate bad-ass

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back