Gridiron Wars Podcast Week 1

The Giants called a pass on 3rd down with the lead and the clock dying. Not only do they call a pass, but Eli PROCEEDS TO THROW THE BALL AWAY on said pass, granting the cowboys 40 seconds they wouldn't have had.

Cowboys score the go-ahead with 8 seconds left.

Damn...I must have put the GameCast on right after that. I only saw 4th and short on the 2, and Dallas had no timeouts. I'd have gone for the score. On the 3rd down, taking a sack is really the only option, but throughout his career, he's always preferred to tossing it away over taking the sack. I never agreed with it.

I only watched until it was 16-6. When I got to work, I put on the GameCast, and it was 23-20, and the Giants were about to kick the FG.

I have no idea what happened there, or even after, other than seeing the plays show up on the GameCast, but I'd have gone for the TD there. If you get it, the game's over. If you don't, Dallas has to go 90+ yards. Make them earn it. The defense seemingly gave up big plays at will, knowing they couldn't. I don't get it. I'll have to see the highlights tomorrow.

I'd have gone for it too. If nothing else there's almost no room to pass from that deep in your own territory so the fast passes aren't likely going to work.

I'd have gone for it too. If nothing else there's almost no room to pass from that deep in your own territory so the fast passes aren't likely going to work.

In Giants history, from even before Eli came in, they have never been a strong red zone team. Right now, there is no big body that they trust to make a tough catch down the close, and there's no big back to hand it off to. I can't blame them for any call they make, but when it falls apart, just hold the damn ball and live to fight another day.

It's easy to say that now, but going for it on 4th down and a 3 point lead would be a horrible call. If you get stopped then all Dallas has to do is get in FG range in order to get to OT.

The Giants did the right thing (apart from throwing the ball away) in that situation. Put your defense in a situation to win the game. As NorCal is hinting to, if Eli took the sack, the Cowboys probably wouldn't have scored that TD.

It's easy to say that now, but going for it on 4th down and a 3 point lead would be a horrible call. If you get stopped then all Dallas has to do is get in FG range in order to get to OT.

The Giants did the right thing (apart from throwing the ball away) in that situation. Put your defense in a situation to win the game. As NorCal is hinting to, if Eli took the sack, the Cowboys probably wouldn't have scored that TD.

I'd have rather them go for the TD, and force Dallas to go 99 yards if they fail. And, if they get it, the win is all but locked up. But settling for the 3, and then giving Dallas better field position than a failed TD try, along with how awful the defense looked for long stretches...You can't justify that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back