Greatest WWE Champion?

Starkiller

Occasional Pre-Show
How do you rank the greatest WWE champions? Ive seen people already hail Cena and Flair as the best ever because they have 15 and 16 world title reigns, but to me that means they lost it 15 times, i dont see that as being great at all. i think the longevity of how long a champion holds the title and the impact they had is a lot more impressive. Here are the Top 6 WWE champion reigns with combined days. Since this is about the WWE Championship.

1. Bruno, 2 Reigns, 4040 days held
2. Hogan, 6 Reigns, 2185 days
3. Backkund, 2 Reigns, 2138 days
4. Cena, 12 Reigns, 1240 days
5. Morales, 1 Reign, 1027 days
6. Bret, 5 Reigns, 654 days

CM Punk second Reign was 434 days in Mordern Era.

It's hard to compare eras, i know. But i think people really should take into account how long a champion can hold the title rather then how many times he can win it back.

For me i can only rank from what ive seen and the information i have gathered from watching. This is about the WWE World Title which is probabky the most prestigious.

My personal top 5 are

1.Hogan
2.Bret
3.Austin
4.Rock
5.Punk

The greatest WWE champion of all time is Hulk Hogan and that can't even really be debated based on length of reign and, most importantly, impact on the industry. His first reign launched WWE into national prominence. His first reign established Wrestlemania as the biggest wrestling event every year. Saturday Night's Main Event, which aired on NBC, was built around Hogan as WWF champion. Merchandising exploded in the 80s thanks to Hulk Hogan. He set the standard for entertainment, charisma, and revenue; and became a worldwide icon.

I think the argument can be made it is Cena.

The purpose of being World Champ is draw the crowds, the PPV buys and the TV ratings and house show attendances.

So when we look at the total package; I think it could well be Cena. It is inevitable he will be the most decorated World Champ in history; he will surpass Flair's 16 reigns.

Cena will never be the in ring wrestler Bret Hart or Shawn Michaels were, he won't ever be as good as Punk in the ring either. He won't ever draw the numbers Stone Cold did during the attitude era and his Cenation won't ever surpass Hulkamania. And as good as he can be when he does his Thuganomics; he won't ever beat the Rock on the mic.

BUT he has consistantly main evented WWE PPV's and headlined house shows and pretty much every single Raw since June 2005 and before that headlined Smackdown for about a year (when that show meant something still). Is his Super Cena annoying? YES, but he is one of the hardest working world champions in history. He has been put over in the ring by HHH, Benoit, Angle, Lesnar, Punk, HBK, Y2J, Edge, RVD, Kane, Mick Foley, Rock, and even Ric Flair. Outside of the ring in interview segments Bret Hart, Roddy Piper, Hogan and Flair have all endorsed Cena; and all commented on the huge respect he has from everyone for his hard work ethic.

Who is the best in ring champion ever? probably Bret Hart or Shawn Michaels.
Who is the best on the mic? The Rock.
Who was the hottest drawing ? Stone Cold
Who made the WWF what it is today? Hogan.
Who is the best overall and hardest working? has to be Cena.

Bret Hart is my favourite though.

In the grand scheme of things, I think the two that most would consider to be the top runners for being "The Greatest" WWE Champion of them all would be Hulk Hogan and John Cena.

Both men are essentially cut from the same cloth in terms of their characters: patriotic, near unbeatable supermen who champion charitable causes, especially those involving children. Both are also the only two men of my lifetime who can hold claim to be the true, one & only, definitive "face" of the company during their respective eras.

If you go by sheer length, Hogan obviously wins as his 1st reign alone is the third longest in the 51.5 year history of the championship. If you go by most reigns, Cena obviously takes it as he's had more than anyone.

If you ultimately go by the overall quality of opponents then, in all honesty, I personally think Cena has the edge. The biggest challengers of Hogan's era when he was definitively at his peak for him were the likes of Roddy Piper, King Kong Bundy, Andre the Giant, Paul Orndorff, Randy Savage, Ted DiBiase, Curt Hennig and The Ultimate Warrior. Cena's most storied challengers have included Randy Orton, CM Punk, Edge, Batista, Triple H, Shawn Michaels, The Rock and Brock Lesnar.

If you went by the most memorable feuds, I might have to call it a tie as both have had celebrated feuds that'll be talked about for years.

I value great champions as ones who make the belt seem more important. As such HBK was a terrible champion, despite being my favorite wrestler of all time. Because he was never a team player, and his feuds, especially in those mid 90s days were kinda crappy, bar for the real feud with Bret. I also do not think Rock ever did much as a champion, he was too talented and too good, outshining the belt, if a wrestler beat Rock for the title it meant more that he beat the Rock rather than won the title.

I think Hogan in 97 was a great champion, because the sheer fact that he held the title, made Sting into a huge star..by not even wrestling, just by waving a bat at someone. And the whole center piece was that belt. Obviously WCW messed that up later on, but for a brief period it was a hot feud.

Ric Flair was also a great champion, because his gimmick is a typical "rich cocky guy champ", he was a 80s villain, a video game last boss. And his entire pride was poured into that belt. Regardless of what real sport you think off, a guy like Ric Flair is what you expect to be the champion you love to beat, its the perfect stereotype.

Well, rule out Backlund entirely. During his run, the WWF title was reduced from recognized world title status and he was not considered a great draw.

I think your choices are Bruno, Hogan, Bret, Triple H and Cena personally. Note that it doesn't mean they were the biggest stars necessarily, as Austin and Rock were certainly bigger stars than Triple H during the same era, but Triple H was a very credible champion that raised the level of its importance.

I can't comment much on Cena because I don't watch, so my list would be the latter 4. Of them, I would pick Hogan. I don't think the WWF title ever meant more than it did when Hogan had it. Hulk Hogan as WWF Champion just makes sense.

My personal Top 5 of all time is:

5. Ric Flair / Hulk Hogan
4. Kurt Angle
2. Stone Cold Steve Austin / The Rock
1. Chris Jericho

It doesn’t matter to me how many times / how long a Champion has held a Championship. All that matters to me is who they are and how entertained I was. Not taking anything away from Bruno Sammartino, Bob Backlund, John Cena, Pedro Morales, and Bret The Hitman Hart, but my Top 5 (technically 6) are the 6 SuperStars that made me a fan in the 80s, made me a bigger fan in the 90s, and will continue to keep me as a fan in the future.

It depends on how we are defining it but it terms of "greatest" then it is Sammartino followed by Hogan. Bruno was the definition of a great champion. The WWF just fed him wrestler after wrestler and he would beat them but the fans always want to pay their money to see him keep the belt. It just worked.

Hogan is the greatest wrestler of all time but strictly talking about being the champ, Sammartino was better. Austin was a great champion but he was far better chasing. In terms of my personal enjoyment, it's probably Cena number one with The Rock, Triple H and CM Punk just behind.

Definitions come into it but the reality is that what makes a great champion is not always the obvious.

Length is immaterial as the business almost operated in "dog years" in those days... nothing changed, anywhere much in the 60's and early 70's... the styles, the talent... sure some would move in the territories but the basic principles of the business were static... 2 World Champions, one travelled, one faced challengers in New York... those who held those titles were cut from a certain cloth and it was only in the later 70's did it begin to change... guys like Billy Graham and Ric Flair began to change what a champion looked and acted like, thus the challengers also changed.

Hogan was a champ in a boom period, which arguably without him MAY not have happened... but there were 2 or 3 others it could have still happened with... Hogan didn't vary his challengers much, he fought bigger/monster opponents in a certain fashion... only really facing Savage and DiBiase who were smaller... and ultimately defeating both. Those matches made money but even in 1986, he could have made more for Vince with different opponents... Piper for example at Mania 2 one on one...

Someone like Savage only had the belt for a very short time compared to a Bruno or Hogan, but while there he defended the belt against a variety of opponents and brought something new. Guys like Slaughter, Warrior, Yoko... all have their strong points.

Into the 90's it gets murkier... belts changed hands far more often so you can't compare length of reign... 1998 was just as big a boom as 1987 so arguably Austin and Hogan are immeiately comparable, Austin was hurt by then though so he couldn't do all he could have... Nash bombed to many, but he did what was required, sold PPV's and fought the widest range of opponents a big man had fought to that time so he was basically fighting against how WWE had booked for 20+ years, that he lasted a year and got in a position to leave for triple his money from it means he wasn't a bad champion.

Jericho never got to do what he could have, in fact no one really has since 2002 and Brock as the pushes have been shortened and are now telegraphed...

Personally I would say it comes down to these contenders.

Bret Hart - This was the guy who really did start at the bottom and work up to the big belt and got there through hard work, not a physique or a movie role like Hogan or Warrior and was colorful enough not to just be a 70's style Bob Backlund like technician.
Bret made defending the belt a feature for the first time...the term "fighting champion" had never been heard in the WWF era... it meant he'd never hold it as long as Hogan or Bruno etc... but the fans more than got their moneys worth out of each reign he had and like it or not, international business was BIG with him at the helm... tours wouldn't go ahead without him on them... that's kinda what a champ is for.

Bob Backlund - Yes he was "vanilla" in the 70's and not a draw and his 95 run was days long...but think about that for a second. This is a guy who could carry the biggest "promotion" of it's day for 7 years being "opie" as Heenan used to call him, basically on his in ring skill. Lose it in favor of the new "cartoonish" style, only to come back and DEVELOP a character and ultimately beat them at their own game. Say what you want about Mr. Backlund in 1995 but the character was an A+ creation and he did it perfectly... go back and look at the promo he cut round Philly for KOTR on his "presidential" run... that was the moment Vince took him seriously enough to give another run to him over Owen. That someone can do that, win the title in 2 different eras, just shy of 20 years apart...having adapted to the times makes Bob a serious contender. It wasn't a nostalgia run, there was no nostalgia for Backlund... just a guy who could "still go" who turned himself up to 11 and not only earned a new deal but push and ultimately a 2nd World title... even when he showed up a couple of years back against Slater in his 60's... he was still in INSANE shape and could go... He deserves a LOT of respect...

The Rock - Ultimately, the Rock is going to win although Bret comes close... he beats Austin, Hogan everyone...why? Because he has both used and enhanced the title with what he became. When he was WWF Champion in the 90's he was a burgeoning star that showed the WWF as being more than a one horse show, the trap Hogan had fallen into. Come 2002 and he was the champ facing off against Brock Lesnar "passing the torch" but already becoming a pop culture figure through his movie work. Fast forward to his last WWE title reign, purists and IWC fans loathed that he beat Punk for the title and took it to Mania... but by then he was in the top 3, if not TOP Hollywood Box Office star and one of the most recognisable men on the planet. People in Burkina Faso know who the Rock is and they know he was WWE champion as well as being in Fast & Furious or Hercules.

With Hogan and other wrestlers becoming actors it's often been a "joke" but Rock has achieved what Hulk could only dream of. Batista now has Guardians so he too is recognisable, but he didn't have the in ring body of work Dwayne had... Indeed, Dwayne went through a phase of dropping the Rock from his name...now he once again embraces it cos he knows what it means... The Greatest WWE Wrestler and Champion in history became the biggest star in movies... and they are not mutually exclusive, but part of the same man... his career in the ring was as varied, exciting and money making as his movie career has been... No one has EVER taken winning a world title in "fake" wrestling further and won't ever again. Name one stinker he has had in the ring when he has had that belt? You can't... even if he did make Tooth Fairy...

Ah here it is, I thought this thread got deleted. Some great points. What about the push factor since cenas first reign he has had a mixed reaction and the wwe have called him a controversial champion to save face. What if hogan had the same controversial reaction during his first reign would wwe still of continued to push him like they did cena? I don't think they would of.

Ah here it is, I thought this thread got deleted. Some great points. What about the push factor since cenas first reign he has had a mixed reaction and the wwe have called him a controversial champion to save face. What if hogan had the same controversial reaction during his first reign would wwe still of continued to push him like they did cena? I don't think they would of.

Hogan DID have that level of "controversy" but it was different as there was only one belt and the IC title carried the load for those who didn't like Hulk and getting a World title REALLY took some doing.

Look at the guys who held the IC for longer periods Savage, Honky Tonk, Rude, Perfect.. until Bret got it it was nearly exclusively a heel held title with the odd face run just to mix it up... but everyone who did hold if offered something truly different to Hulk. No way was very fan loving the Hulkster... but the kids did and thus the parents (as they thought he was wholesome) did too... but the other fans wanted guys like Savage... look back at Mania 5 and the crowd were almost split over Warrior and Rude.

Hogan DID have that level of "controversy" but it was different as there was only one belt and the IC title carried the load for those who didn't like Hulk and getting a World title REALLY took some doing.

Look at the guys who held the IC for longer periods Savage, Honky Tonk, Rude, Perfect.. until Bret got it it was nearly exclusively a heel held title with the odd face run just to mix it up... but everyone who did hold if offered something truly different to Hulk. No way was very fan loving the Hulkster... but the kids did and thus the parents (as they thought he was wholesome) did too... but the other fans wanted guys like Savage... look back at Mania 5 and the crowd were almost split over Warrior and Rude.

But Hogan was a lot more over with fans then Cena could dream of being. Cena has always had mixed reactions, some towns pro and sosome very anti.

How do you rank the greatest WWE champions? Ive seen people already hail Cena and Flair as the best ever because they have 15 and 16 world title reigns, but to me that means they lost it 15 times, i dont see that as being great at all.

First, total reigns is important. That means the company keeps coming back to you as the main guy, which they wouldn't do if you couldn't sell tickets, and typically the Word Champ is the most important guy in the most important storylines.

Second, total time as champ is important. Even in the modern era, when live weekly TV and monthly PPV exposes a champ to the mass audience much faster than back in the 80s when each company did only a handful of "super cards" and relied almost exclusively on their touring business, if the company keeps coming back to you for extended periods (with only minor blips/short term losses on your resume) then you must be a proven money earner.

Third, how successful was the company during your time. This is the hardest one to equate because SO MANY things factor into this, most off is how good is the under card (people are most interested in the top event but fans don't spend $$ on tickets without a few high profile undercard bouts that interest them) and how good is the booking & choice of opponents. Lets say John Cena sells out vs Randy Orton, but can he fill an arena vs Albert Del Rio ?? You also have to look at business before he became champ as part of this. Maybe business in general is down but ratings & attendance did increase markedly with you on top. I call this the "Brett Hart" syndrome, it seemed WWE was always trying to find someone more charismatic and entertaining to be their main guy during most of Hart's tenure 1993-97, yet inevitably the company always fell back on him during those down years. Why ? Because even though guys like Nash & HBK were great talents, WWE was doing better business with Hart on top. This is what kept Flair & Hogan as relevant as they were into the late 90s, no matter what the climate business wise over all, they always made more money for the company when they were #1 than the wide variety of other guys could.

Just focusing on WWE takes legendary great champs like Harley Race & Flair out of the picture. You can give a nod to Hart who was one of the hardest working WWE champs ever, and note that while WWE business may have been down during his tenure the industry in general was sagging much of that time and the company kept going back to him because he was guaranteed money (Cena is the Brett Hart of today's WWE in this respect). The fact he left WWE and effectively ended his tenure after a little more than four years does hurt him though - Longevity matters.

The next guy who deserves special mention is Randy Savage who carried the company well during two tenures without Hogan on the card. Savage had some great opponents in guys like Ted DiBiase & Flair but his star power and work ethic were a major factor in him having two fairly successful reigns. The fact he only had two reigns hurts, if he had stayed in WWE he likely would have gotten more, although for the purpose of this discussion we are not including his WCW Titles. Certainly once Hogan & Flair were in WCW that title was every bit as important as the WWE title.

Cena has been the one Post Attitude Era star who is really a major star. Not just a star with the loyal viewing audience, he is well known to casual fans and fans who don't watch anymore. Outside of Attitude guys like Austin & Rock and 80s icons like Hogan & Flair & maybe Piper who else can you say that about ? Cena has always delivered steady numbers that typically were better than the other people who shared the title scene, and he has always been guaranteed money whenever WWE needed it (like with D. Bryan's sudden injury departure right after W-Mania).

Hogan was the public face of the pro wrestling explosion in pop culture in the 1980s and was the biggest asset to McMahon's national expansion talent wise. At a time when wrestling business and interest in the industry was greater than in any decade, their were a handful of guys who unbelievably huge, Flair was the biggest, Rhodes & Andre not far behind, same with Savage, Hogan was bigger than all of them, by a good margin. The one thing I will say about Hogan that negatively impacts his status is once he established his star power, he was a part time player at best most of the decade. 80s fans know that Hogan was always criticized for how little he often wrestled, especially with Flair in the NWA wrestling 200 plus times every year through out the US, South America, & Japan. WWE and Vince did a terrific job with their marketing and promotion of keeping the WWE afloat and profitable with a champ who many times didn't even wrestle for weeks at time. A lot of that success has to do with McMahon. Still, Hogan did most of the "super cards" and W-Mania never would have taken off the way it did if not for him.

My choice then is Bruno Sammartino. WWE was built around Bruno. Plain and simple, the company didn't exist prior to Sammartino being champion. If he had been a failure out of the gate it's doubtful they would have recovered. Maybe they could have convinced a huge star like Buddy Rogers to leave the NWA full time but that was unlikely, more likely WWE would have been just a feeder or subsidiary market for the NWA. With Bruno as the centerpiece, WWE took off, establishing it's own brand, and became a major independent company in the industry. Bottom line, he wouldn't have spent 9 years as champ (even though it was split between just two reigns) if he wasn't successful, and unlike Hogan, who came into a successful company but was a part of it reaching new heights, unlike guys like Savage, Cena, or Bob Backlund who all did very good jobs of maintaining the status quo and keeping the company at or near the levels it was at previously, Bruno was the guy they BUILT WWE around. Hogan helped improve the car, Savage, Backlund, & Cena all drove the car well, as did Hart, but Bruno was the one who built the car in the first place. If he isn't a major success out of the gate WWE is just another small time promotion hoping for a bite of the NWA's apple like World Class & Florida Championship Wrestling. Instead they were a legit rival organization that was profitable and successful and proved to be landing spot and launching pad for some of the industry's biggest names even before Vince Jr took over and changed the whole business model.

For that reason I have to go with Bruno, I cant pick anyone else.

First, total reigns is important. That means the company keeps coming back to you as the main guy, which they wouldn't do if you couldn't sell tickets, and typically the Word Champ is the most important guy in the most important storylines.

Second, total time as champ is important. Even in the modern era, when live weekly TV and monthly PPV exposes a champ to the mass audience much faster than back in the 80s when each company did only a handful of "super cards" and relied almost exclusively on their touring business, if the company keeps coming back to you for extended periods (with only minor blips/short term losses on your resume) then you must be a proven money earner.

Third, how successful was the company during your time. This is the hardest one to equate because SO MANY things factor into this, most off is how good is the under card (people are most interested in the top event but fans don't spend $$ on tickets without a few high profile undercard bouts that interest them) and how good is the booking & choice of opponents. Lets say John Cena sells out vs Randy Orton, but can he fill an arena vs Albert Del Rio ?? You also have to look at business before he became champ as part of this. Maybe business in general is down but ratings & attendance did increase markedly with you on top. I call this the "Brett Hart" syndrome, it seemed WWE was always trying to find someone more charismatic and entertaining to be their main guy during most of Hart's tenure 1993-97, yet inevitably the company always fell back on him during those down years. Why ? Because even though guys like Nash & HBK were great talents, WWE was doing better business with Hart on top. This is what kept Flair & Hogan as relevant as they were into the late 90s, no matter what the climate business wise over all, they always made more money for the company when they were #1 than the wide variety of other guys could.

Just focusing on WWE takes legendary great champs like Harley Race & Flair out of the picture. You can give a nod to Hart who was one of the hardest working WWE champs ever, and note that while WWE business may have been down during his tenure the industry in general was sagging much of that time and the company kept going back to him because he was guaranteed money (Cena is the Brett Hart of today's WWE in this respect). The fact he left WWE and effectively ended his tenure after a little more than four years does hurt him though - Longevity matters.

The next guy who deserves special mention is Randy Savage who carried the company well during two tenures without Hogan on the card. Savage had some great opponents in guys like Ted DiBiase & Flair but his star power and work ethic were a major factor in him having two fairly successful reigns. The fact he only had two reigns hurts, if he had stayed in WWE he likely would have gotten more, although for the purpose of this discussion we are not including his WCW Titles. Certainly once Hogan & Flair were in WCW that title was every bit as important as the WWE title.

Cena has been the one Post Attitude Era star who is really a major star. Not just a star with the loyal viewing audience, he is well known to casual fans and fans who don't watch anymore. Outside of Attitude guys like Austin & Rock and 80s icons like Hogan & Flair & maybe Piper who else can you say that about ? Cena has always delivered steady numbers that typically were better than the other people who shared the title scene, and he has always been guaranteed money whenever WWE needed it (like with D. Bryan's sudden injury departure right after W-Mania).

Hogan was the public face of the pro wrestling explosion in pop culture in the 1980s and was the biggest asset to McMahon's national expansion talent wise. At a time when wrestling business and interest in the industry was greater than in any decade, their were a handful of guys who unbelievably huge, Flair was the biggest, Rhodes & Andre not far behind, same with Savage, Hogan was bigger than all of them, by a good margin. The one thing I will say about Hogan that negatively impacts his status is once he established his star power, he was a part time player at best most of the decade. 80s fans know that Hogan was always criticized for how little he often wrestled, especially with Flair in the NWA wrestling 200 plus times every year through out the US, South America, & Japan. WWE and Vince did a terrific job with their marketing and promotion of keeping the WWE afloat and profitable with a champ who many times didn't even wrestle for weeks at time. A lot of that success has to do with McMahon. Still, Hogan did most of the "super cards" and W-Mania never would have taken off the way it did if not for him.

Well yeah, you always have to factor in draw power. Guys like hogan who signed over with wcw negotiated top pay. So when you are a company that has invested a lot of money into a guy, yeah you are gonna push him and probably have the belt on him if he's drawing. At the same time the more your advertised the bigger market share you will probably have.

To me guys like Cena are more so pushed as the top guy because of their look. Let's face it, Cena is much more marketable guy then anyone on the current roster based on image. Clean cut, good looking guy with a super hero physique. Sex sells in the entertainment industry as we all know, and know doubt wwe has a lot of corporate sponsors invested in Cena. But I'm a fan of wrestling, I want to see the best overall in ring worker be my champion. The guy that always gives you the best matches day in and out, that's what Guys like CM Punk do! And it's refreshing, so based on that, when I see cm punk hold the belt for 434 days it's a big deal to me.

That's not a knock on Cena and Flair, I will admit Cena has improved in the ring, but he's not consistently wowing me night in and out. Same with flair,I actually enjoy Flair over Cena, I haven't seen much of flair in the 80s, but from what I have seen, It didn't seem all that technical either.

That's not a knock on Cena and Flair, I will admit Cena has improved in the ring, but he's not consistently wowing me night in and out. Same with flair,I actually enjoy Flair over Cena, I haven't seen much of flair in the 80s, but from what I have seen, It didn't seem all that technical either.

It's hard to judge Flair's career without viewing him in the 80s....that's like judging HHH's career without viewing him in Evolution.

Flair was very "technical" when the opponent could handle it. If you can them check out his matches vs Barry Whyndam in 1987, Steamboat in 1989, Ricky Morton 1986, and although this one is hard to find his "tite vs title" matches with WWE Champ Backlund (1983) and AWA Champ Rick Martel (1985). He adapted his style back then based on opponents, wrestling a more dirty, brawler style vs guys like Terry Funk and Nikita Kolloff for instance. He was just as adept at 60 minute Iron Man Matches as he was bloody NO DQ cage Matches, he adapted to the opponent. Most really great performers do the same thing (see Hart, HBK, Taker, even Austin).

Strictly in terms of in ring ability as WWE champ neither Bruno or Hogan would rank very high. JUST in terms of in ring skills HBK & Hart would both blow them away. Guys like Savage, Austin, and Flair during his WWE title run were also much better pure in ring performers. My post was more centered towards equating the total package, keeping in mind that while match quality is important (and Hogan sucks there, most of his 80s matches were strict, short, very formulaic bouts) over all it's the Champ's ability to help the company draw fans and ratings that means more than anything else.

Id rather Hart vs HBK any day over Hogan vs Andre, Bundy, Kamala, Zeus, Honky Tonk Man, Henning, or even Harley Race just in terms of match quality, but there is no doubt his over all success was phenomenal. The "in ring ability" question is the one 80s fans always use to justify taking Flair's side in the who was better debate between him & Hogan, IE Hogan was a bigger star but Flair was a better wrestler. I believe that was true but again, it depends on what you're looking for or judging.

Yeah, good points. I will have to watch some of those matches as I am very interested in Flairs work in the 80s, probable his prime?

But back on topic, I wanted to know what everyone regarded as the greatest champion. So many factors to consider.

Greatest WWE champion?

Criteria (in order of importance): Quality Reigns, High Profile Matches, # of Defenses, Drawing (has more to do with the overall company..not the title holder)

1 Bret Hart (by far WWE's best champion)
2 Hulk Hogan
3 Bruno Sammartino
4 John Cena (way too many pointless reigns)
5 Randy Savage (his two were twice as inspiring as Trips' 16 or whatever)
6 Triple H (had one or two great reigns among all the unnecessary ones)
7 The Rock (Won all his titles in the hot potato Attitude era)
8 Stone Cold (Reigns weren't quality)
9 Bob Backlund (2nd worst period)
10 CM Punk (best reign during stalest period in WWE history)

I know that he didn't draw the same as Hogan did (had more to do w/ the booking than himself IMO), but Warrior's reign was pretty good as far as being a strong champion. He dominated the feud w/ Rick Rude from start to finish (pinning him clean on every house show and winning decisively in the SNME Match and the Summerslam cage match).

Hulk Hogan is the only possible option IMO. He took wrestling into the modern era. Its that simple.

Bruno is a contender... and may have had longer title reigns, but those were the territory days... Hogan helped bring wrestling to the masses, mainstream exposure and a true global phenomenon. Wrestlers became household names and marketing machines.
Hogan remains the most famous (remember Rock is better known for his acting now) and significant wrestler in history.

Though also great champions, the likes of Austin, Bret, Cena have benefitted from the platform and foundations that Hogan laid down for them. The early PPV supercards were literally built around Hogan, and his fueds in the business: vs Andre, Piper, Orndorff, Flair, Savage remain amongst the biggest and widely talked about moments ever.... years/decades later.

IWC diehards may prefer the better workers such as Bret or Flair, but in terms of bringing in the money, appealing to mass audience, popularising the industry... Hogan opened more doors than anyone.

I know that he didn't draw the same as Hogan did (had more to do w/ the booking than himself IMO), but Warrior's reign was pretty good as far as being a strong champion. He dominated the feud w/ Rick Rude from start to finish (pinning him clean on every house show and winning decisively in the SNME Match and the Summerslam cage match).

Warriors title reign was lacklustre. It wasn't his fault that he had an impossible act to follow (Hogans)... but the numbers didn't add up at the box office. That is why Vince decided to take the title off Warrior and put it back on Hogan (via Sgt Slaughter).

Most wrestling fans had already seen Warrior demolish Rick Rude in 1989 for the IC titles... though Rude put in an amazing performance in their SS'90 cage match, it was a re-run of a fued from the previous year.

Plus Warriors zany and 'out there' promos just meant that he didn't connect to as wider audience as Hogan did. Sure the kids didn't care what he said, but there is no doubt that Warrior just didn't have that same babyface media cross-over appeal that Hogan had.

Hogan sums it up best himself in his book- after WM6 he took the belt and (in an unscripted 'show' of sportsmanship) handed Warrior the belt.
Then 70,000 in the crowd watched Hogan leave the ring.... the Warrior was still celebrating and nobody cared'. All eyes were on the Hulkster.

Bruno Sammartino. This isn't a question that should be answered based on who we found the most exciting to watch or who possessed the best technical skills.....or even who drew the most money. To me, it's who held the greatest & longest impact as champion at the time he performed.

The length of Bruno's two title reigns speaks for itself....and just that factor alone might be enough to name him the greatest champion. But I'm more impressed with the way he handled his reigns; he fought the very top contenders on a monthly basis, selling out whichever venue he performed ....and while all the contenders were looking to dethrone him, there was never any question as to who the king of the hill was. He was truly famous, even mainstream in a time before the Internet. Little old grandmas in Brooklyn who had never seen a wrestling match in their lives could tell you who Bruno Sammartino was.

Then, there was the way he reigned; unlike, say, Hulk Hogan, Bruno didn't conduct business by performing in the ring....he did it with wrestling. Every match was a hand-to-hand struggle of two honest workmen plying their trade. For most of Bruno's reign, there wasn't a lot of outside interference in title matches....and while the bad guy always cheated, Bruno never did; he responded to dirty tactics by getting rougher, not by gouging eyes or nailing opponents in their nether regions.

There were un-clean endings, yes.....in pro wrestling, there always will be. But at the end of the day, there was never a question as to who the champion was. It would surely be interesting to see the extent of Bruno's impact had he worked for a national promotion with the Internet and other modern media to spread his fame.

(I gathered all this from reading, and from talking to folks who remember.... which leads me to say: just because something happened before our ability to remember doesn't make it any less important).

Warriors title reign was lacklustre. It wasn't his fault that he had an impossible act to follow (Hogans)... but the numbers didn't add up at the box office. That is why Vince decided to take the title off Warrior and put it back on Hogan (via Sgt Slaughter).

Most wrestling fans had already seen Warrior demolish Rick Rude in 1989 for the IC titles... though Rude put in an amazing performance in their SS'90 cage match, it was a re-run of a fued from the previous year.

Plus Warriors zany and 'out there' promos just meant that he didn't connect to as wider audience as Hogan did. Sure the kids didn't care what he said, but there is no doubt that Warrior just didn't have that same babyface media cross-over appeal that Hogan had.

Hogan sums it up best himself in his book- after WM6 he took the belt and (in an unscripted 'show' of sportsmanship) handed Warrior the belt.
Then 70,000 in the crowd watched Hogan leave the ring.... the Warrior was still celebrating and nobody cared'. All eyes were on the Hulkster.

Warrior/Rude in '90 wasn't even a feud, Warrior pinned him clean in every house show match and they had no interaction w/ each other on TV prior to the Cage Match except SNME which Warrior also won easily. The problem wasn't that Warrior was facing Rude again, it was Rude not being push as a credible threat at all. They were already hyping up the Cage Match for Summerslam before the SNME match aired on TV, that wouldn't have done that with Hogan. Hogan/Earthquake was being pushed as the big angle throughout the summer despite Hogan not being on the road during that time. The story of Hogan being brought back early because Warrior wasn't drawing is also a myth. Looking at the WON articles from '90 it was planned in advance for Hogan to return at Summerslam before they did the Hogan/Earthquake injury angle.

Warrior/Undertaker drew better crowds than Hogan/Slaughter did in '91 when Hogan had the belt again and WM7 wasn't most successful PPV that year, which shows that Warrior's title reign was sabotaged by lack of strong opponents.

Warrior/Rude in '90 wasn't even a feud, Warrior pinned him clean in every house show match and they had no interaction w/ each other on TV prior to the Cage Match except SNME which Warrior also won easily. The problem wasn't that Warrior was facing Rude again, it was Rude not being push as a credible threat at all.

I suppose the reason for putting Rude in against Warrior at SS'90 was the fact that he had beaten (the only guy who had at that point I believe) the previous year for the IC title

Warrior/Undertaker drew better crowds than Hogan/Slaughter did in '91 when Hogan had the belt again and WM7 wasn't most successful PPV that year, which shows that Warrior's title reign was sabotaged by lack of strong opponents.

There is no way Warrior had Hogans magic at the box office.
Though Warrior may not have had a high profile list of opponents in title defences.
The fact that it was Hogan he beat for the title... hurt Warriors reign.
Edge himself admitted in the 'Self Destruction of the Warrior DVD' that the #1 babyface vs #2 babyface match at WM6 split fans allegiance.... many fans couldn't take to Warrior because it was their favourite (Hogan) that he beat for the title.

Though Warrior was popular, he didn't have the mass-media cross-over appeal that Hogan had.
Hogan was the real American hero... Warrior was too zany and out there to have the Hogan box office magic

I suppose the reason for putting Rude in against Warrior at SS'90 was the fact that he had beaten (the only guy who had at that point I believe) the previous year for the IC title

There is no way Warrior had Hogans magic at the box office.
Though Warrior may not have had a high profile list of opponents in title defences.
The fact that it was Hogan he beat for the title... hurt Warriors reign.
Edge himself admitted in the 'Self Destruction of the Warrior DVD' that the #1 babyface vs #2 babyface match at WM6 split fans allegiance.... many fans couldn't take to Warrior because it was their favourite (Hogan) that he beat for the title.

Though Warrior was popular, he didn't have the mass-media cross-over appeal that Hogan had.
Hogan was the real American hero... Warrior was too zany and out there to have the Hogan box office magic

Warrior/Undertaker did outdraw Hogan/Slaughter, there are a few WON articles from '91 that talked about it. Look on the thehistoryofwwe website for '91 results and Undetaker/Warrior drew better crowds at the bigger arenas than Hogan/Slaughter did. The most successful PPV of '91 wasn't WM7, which shows just how much drawing power Hogan/Slaughter had from the start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back