• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Greatest Use of Blood in Wrestling History

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
Blood.

It attracts the sanguine wrestling fan like nothing else. It made ECW aficianado's mark out like nobody's business. It is an accident or an act, a storyline enhancer or a slip and miss. Ir drips, it pours. It sells when a wrestler cannot do it alone.

Blood has been a part of the culture of professional wrestling for ages. They have gone through stages where blood was taboo, and others where it was a regular occurance. In ECW, it was expected. In Abdullah the Butcher matches, it was a given.

But which instances of blood have represented the best uses in the history of professional wrestling?

Stone Cold Steve Austin, Wrestlemania 13. The "I Quit" match with Bret Hart. That vision of Austin screaming in the Sharpshooter as blood continued to pour out of his forehead, eventually leading him to weaken and pass out, is a part of Austin's legacy. It highlighted and underscored the fight that Austin put up in that match, and without that head blood, who knows if he'd be the icon he is today.

Ric Flair, Wrestlemania 8. In his war against Randy "Macho Man" Savage at a time when blood was not permitted in the WWF, Flair bladed to enhance the story of the match. Interesting story - despite how well received it was, Flair was fined thousands of dollars for blading in that match. But the vision of a broken and defeated Flair cutting his interview in the locker room, his light blond locks stained red, is one I will remember forever.

Hulk Hogan, Wrestlemania 7. I looked at Hogan's blood from WM7 as a symbol of American Patriotism, and though I may not always share it, I damn sure respected it. With Hogan battling Sgt. Slaughter, Gen. Adnan, and Col. Mustafa, Hogan's head bled, and it stood as representation that, while you could hurt America, you could not keep it down.

Which moments of blood do YOU feel constitute the Greatest Blood Moments of all time?

Oh definitely Austin's at WM13. Your bang on there mate! It wasn't just the fact it catapulted Austin to fame, it was the fact that it started to highlight the emerging Attitude era, with more blood and it was Austin who would lead the way. Moreover, it was at a time when blood was a taboo in the WWF; I mean, McMahon apologizes on the commentary for the blood; during the Attitude era and now we don't have that.
Other than that, I guess the Great Muta's match against Hiroshi Hase would also go down as one, simply because it was such an excessive bladejob. It certainly added to their feud....

To me, of the above list it's Stone Cold. That image of him desperately trying to reach the ropes with the blood flowing down his face is one of the two most famous images of his career, the other being him throwing the title over his shoulder with JR saying the Austin Era has begun. Without WM 13, that moment a year later would never happen. Austin's face in that clip was on the Raw intro for years, and it deserved to be so. That image to me showed that he would never quit, no matter how injured he was. To me, nothing else really comes close.

The best has got to be Stone Cold at WM 13. That incident was the famous double turn and propelled Austin as the top dog of WWF.

One of my personal favorites was Kurt Angle vs Stone Cold Steve Austin in Summerslam 2001. Angle got busted wide open about half way through the match and he still wouldn't give up. He even kicked out of a 3rd Stunner. Despite bleeding, Austin still couldn't put Angle away so he had to get himself DQ'd.

Another one of my favorites was Shawn Michaels at Survivor Series 2003 in the match with Austin's career on the line. As JR said, Michaels had a "crimson mask" on yet he still wouldn't give up. There was so much suspense since Austin's career was hanging in the balance and Michaels was alone against 3 of Team Bishoff. Some of JR's best commentary was in this match too. I think he almost lost his voice.

i was gonna go with austin at wm13 but it seems like everyone is pickin it so ill go with one out of the blue brock lesner vs undertaker hell in a cell by the time the match was over half of the ring was covered red and it showed how intense the match was

triple h vs batista at wrestlemania 21 this was when batista was being build up as the animal and he complete destrued triple h in the match makin his whole face bleed and he beat him clean 2 win the belt

Triple H./Summerslam 2002: Shawn Michaels' return match in over a 4 year leave, and it was capped off with an amazing performance and a great personal rivalry feud between Triple H. and Shawn Michaels.

While the match itself maybe wouldn't of needed blood, the fact that it was a No Holds Barred match almost set the bar to the point that it was expected. Triple H. has bled a ton before, but I truly think the amount of blood that painted his face in this match only made the legend of Shawn Michaels grow even more.

Mr. McMahon/Survivor Series 2003: In my opinion, it was the McMahon mistake of cutting too deep, or too much that made his Buried Alive match with the Undertaker worth watching. McMahon started bleeding at the very beginning of the match, and didn't stop throughout the entire thing.

In the history of bloody matches, Shawn Michaels, Triple H. and Vince McMahon have to take the cake (so to speak) in the most violent scenes of all-time.

You know, the Cactus Jack King of the Deathmatch Tournament in Japan (cant remember what year though although i think it was 1994), his face was so covered with blood and it was so thick, it still makes me wonder how in the heck did Foley endure that and much more through out his career...

The Match that gave us the Muta Scale. The Great Muta Vs. Hiroshi Hase in New Japan Pro Wrestling. It set the tone for what Blading can do for a match, It employs great Psychology. Once he is bloody beyond all belief he is using the same set of moves over and over again showing the adage of if it works don't change it, in a match it works really well because it is against a singular opponent. You look at the match it self Muta starts out with Red Face Paint. By the end he is covered in Blood. Go In Red, Leave Red.

[youtube]u2yxfSRz-cw[/youtube]

The first thing I thought of was the Austin bleed job against Bret Hart. Not just because the use of blood was spectacular, but also what the blood symbolized. While it could be said that the Austin era began when he uttered 3:16, I truly believe his era took off after this match. At this point in his career, Austin was still a heel. He was beginning to turn fans to his side, but he still was not quite there. This match showed an entirely different side to austin. Fans truly cheer for someone who will not give up no matter what the cost(see Matt Hardy). Austin passed out from loss of blood rather than give up, and he earned the fans respect. I believe Austin was a heel for only a short time after this(if im not mistaken, he did challenge Taker for the title at one of the next ppv's) but the blood spot here fortified austin's era, and that is why it is the greatest use.

Bret Hart vs Bulldog at In Your House 5. I thought the blade job was used smartly there. Made the match more interesting and that match is a forgotten classic in my opinion. Bret was pissing blood most of the match. And sold his ass kick he was getting from Davey Boy brillantly.

I dunno if many people know this or maybe you's do but in Bret's book he says he was the one who bladed Austin at WM13. Austin was afraid to do it and Bret said 'leave it to me'. What a great job he did of cutting him!

Now I haven't posted on here for a long, long while now but well done, this has actually got my fingers on to the keyboard.

For me, I'd have to say Roddy Piper vs Bret Hart for the IC Title at Wrestlemania 8. It was the classic face vs face set up which suddenly turned into the "I'll do anything to leave with the belt" mindset. Bret and Piper were built up as almost brothers, growing up together and sharing stories. Of course, Piper assumed the heel role in the match as that is what Piper is best at. Piper destroyed Bret. The Hitman was left with the proverbial crimson mask, all at the hand of his supposed childhood friend. It showed the lengths that Piper would go to to keep his belt. The fact that Bret battled through that to gain the title also emphasized the guts and determination of the Hitman character; a trait that stood him so well throughout his whole career and gave that added connection to the fans.

Personally, this match for me is the best use of blood that I have seen over my years of watching wrestling. Saying that though, this was one of the first times that I saw blood use in a match to such an extent so maybe that hazes my memory. Either way, this was memorable and did a great job and evoking emotions and putting the match, friendship and title over.

JBL vs Eddie Guerrero Judgement Day 2004 I believe. JBL hit Eddie with the edge of the chair and he was bleeding like a pulp for the next 15 minutes. I was suprised he didnt collapse from blood. This match really helped solidify JBL as a main eventer.

besides the obvious wm13 match...

mick foley- on many occasions. like in hell in a cell 98, as if the 2 falls werent enough, he brought out tacks. but not just this match, also later on with his battles with triple h. first the Royal Rumble where they had that street fight, and then the hell in a cell where trips retired mick. that really solidified trips place in history and it was because of mick putting his body on the line. he later did this again for orton and edge, but the triple h battles are the ones that really stay in my memory.

Fully Loaded '99- im a little biased here because my all-time favorite fued is probably Austin vs the Undertaker w/ the Ministry of Darkness. there was just something so awesome about this fued, with Austin taking them all on by himself...simply the most badass thing ever. (remember when he saved stephanie, that was so sick) Which brings me to Fully Loaded 99 in one of my all-time favorite matches: the First Blood match. if taker lost Vince would never show up again (lol) and if austin lost he would be fired. so of course, blood played a huge role in this match/atmosphere seeing as how it was a first blood match. i remember as a kid watching how the odds seemed so damn stacked against Austin but he kept fighting...it started becoming real to me. it wasnt even "fake" anymore, it just seemed legitimate (a feeling that will probably not be matched with another fued).

oh yea and on the raws leading up to the final showdown, taker kept busting austin open and vince even signed the contract with a pen filled with austins blood. not to mention the fued started when taker made Austin lose a first blood match when his chair collided with Austin's and both smashed into stone colds face.

yepp blood really made that fued great.

Believe it or not, my pick does not come from an ECW match. ROH definately takes the crown here for best use of blood. One of the most disturbing things I have seen in a wrestling ring was the hanging of Jay Briscoe during the introduction of the Age of the Fall. While Briscoe was hung 15 feet about the ring, and bleeding profusely, Jimmy Jacobs stood directly under him where he wore white from head to toe. By the end of his dialogue, he was covered in Jay's blood for head to toe. His hair was dripping blood. It was so graphic that ROH pulled it from the PPV.

I am not sure if anybody is familiar with my next choice, but as a Chris Jericho mark since the early 1990's, it was Smokey Mountain Wrestling's tag team war between The Thrillseekers and then-WWF Tag Team Champions the Heavenly Bodies. Jericho had, according to storyline, hurt himself in a "motorcyle accident" earlier in the day (ever the daredevil, that thrillseeker) yet still showed up for the match with his arm bandaged up.

During the course of the match, Jericho was busted open by Pritchard and del Ray, and so began one of the longest and most dramatic "gotta make the hot tag" situations I've ever seen. What ended up happening, however, was Jericho - his face totally covered in thick red - being determined as unable to continue the match by the referee. Incensed, Jericho protested, and the ref restarted the match. Jericho then made a quick roll up and won the match for the Thrillseekers.

[youtube]PCVcb38TMXM[/youtube]

I am not sure how good this video is, but it took place as SMW's Night of Legends in 1994.

Believe it or not, my pick does not come from an ECW match. ROH definately takes the crown here for best use of blood. One of the most disturbing things I have seen in a wrestling ring was the hanging of Jay Briscoe during the introduction of the Age of the Fall. While Briscoe was hung 15 feet about the ring, and bleeding profusely, Jimmy Jacobs stood directly under him where he wore white from head to toe. By the end of his dialogue, he was covered in Jay's blood for head to toe. His hair was dripping blood. It was so graphic that ROH pulled it from the PPV.

I remember that.It was simply shocking.It was like a scene in a movie-a horror one where the monster is basically covered in blood.That Night Jacobs became a star simply because of this shocking angle.And if anyone thinks this was simply a angle-Jay had just wrestled one fucking tough match(a ladder match at that).I believe it was voted one of the matches of the year.He earned his pay check that night.

That Austin vs Undertaker First Blood FL 1999 was IMO a awesome fued. I loved the build up to the fued and Undertaker was just plain evil and Austin was a badass who didnt back down from no one. Loved that fued.Aah the memories of that time :D.

I think that when most people give thought to this thread, they think of matches where someone bladed and the blood was used to infuse the moment and make it that much more memorable. HOGWASH! You people want blood? You people want drama? Well it just to happens that while was I looking for footage from an old Roddy Piper vs. Greg Valentine match dog collar match because these two use to try to KILL each other and would be blading profusely. Well while I was looking that up, I was able to find the best moment in wrestling history where blood was used to make a moment that much more classic.

This comes from an old interview that Roddy Piper did as he and Rick Martel were feuding with the Sheepherders (Bushwackers) and wanted to convey to them just how crazy and pissed off he was. Notice how the ever unpredictable Piper blades the hard way after smashing a beer bottle over his own head. The Blading was accidental, but it didn't stop Piper one bit as the blood gushed down his face in buckets.

[YOUTUBE]lHh9Wb--J0M&hl[/YOUTUBE]

I saw Eddie Guererro vs JBL in several online clips, because I never ordered the PPV. I think Eddie bladed in that match and actually nicked an artery in his head, so he gushed more than he should have. Oh, and that I Quit Match between Bret Hart and Stone Cold. I don't think it was a huge gusher (I haven't seen that moment in a while.), but just the way it ended... with Austin refusing to tap and bleeding the whole time 'til he passed ou was awesome. Also any Hell in A Cell Match, especially any that had Triple H in it, like Triple H vs Batista at Vengeance '05.

John Cena, Judgment Day 2005- I think this Blood Shed was Great and Put John Cena on the Map after JBL hit John Cena in the Head with the Chair he started bleeding it went from his head all they way down to his Pants it was a Dramatic Sight to say the least JBL Literally Making John Cena his Bitch but at the End it Showed John Cena could hang with a Top Guy (well atleast at the time) and put on a show

Undertaker, No Mercy 2002- This Blood Shed was also a Great Shed of Blood and Put Brock Lesnar on the Map in WWE when he versed Undertaker in the Hell in a Cell and Pusted him wide open using the Steel Steps it was amazing at the Amount of Blood being Poured from Undertaker Head i thought he would've passed Out but it Put Brock on the Map for being the Next Big Thing and Being a Monster of a Competitor

Shawn Michaels, ???- I don't Remember the Match they were in but it was against Triple H i know For Sure when Shawn Michaels Kept Getting up Bleeding and Telling Triple H to Bring it On even though he was bloodied Battered and Beat it was amazing how he wouldn't give up against Triple H and the Blood made it look even better

Ric Flair- This Guy is a bleeder what can i saw i love the way it gets in his hair turning it all Red

WrestleMania 13 was absolutely ridiculous with Austin screaming in pain, covered in blood trying to break the Sharpshooter. Also Bad Blood 1997, with quite possibly HBK's best blade job ever as Taker kicked HBK's ass all over the cell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back