• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Greatest Rivalry: NFL

CH David

A Jock That Loves Pepsi
So I have decided to attempt a series of threads that will hopefully generate a lot of discussion here in the Stadium. It will be going sport by sport depending on how well this one goes. Now as this is the first of such threads, there is a certain criteria that I am hoping is followed. So the main part, is that you need to have information, stats, proof that it is a great rivalry. But I want you to think of each rivalry, and be objective. I don't want to turn this into a biased series, even though it will probably head that way anyways.

So, for the inaugural thread, and post, I shall get started.

Green Bay Packers vs. Chicago Bears

Walter-Payton--B10115401.jpeg
favre.brett.011508.jpg

Arguably the most storied rivalry in all of the NFL. This goes back to November 27, 1921, when the Bears were known as the Chicago Staleys. This first game ended up being a Staleys win 20-0 in Chicago. Since the first game in 1921, there have been 177 more games, more than any other teams in the NFL. In total, the Bears have won 91 regular season games, Green Bay has won 81, and there have been 6 ties. They have also met in one playoff game, which was a one-game playoff to decide who won the Western Division championship, in which the Bears won 33-14.

Both teams have a combined 21 Championships, Bears have 9, Packers have 12. In total, there are 57 players in the Hall of Fame that have played for the Bears and Packers. But to be more true to the facts, it should be more like 52, 26-26, as 5 of the Hall of Fame players played minor portions of their career for the Bears. Both of these teams have ushered out some great players, making for great games.

Not only is it the oldest rivalry in the NFL, it has also been one of the fiercest and intense over the 88 years it has been taking place. Here is an article from 2000 about how the rivalry has gone since its inception from the Packers side.

http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2000/09/28/1/

The article mentions a few things, how the greatness of the rivalry is on the field, and off the field the players can get along.

Players

In the article, it mentions how during the first game played, John Taylor slugged Howard Buck in the face, and broke his nose. What a great way to be introduced into the league, and start an 88 year rivalry. Then in 1925, another Bears' player went after Buck's nose again, but this time Buck broke his arm. Later on in the article it mentions how in 1986 Charles Martin wore a towel with Bears' player's names that he intended to hurt. After a play, he body slammed Jim McMahon with a late hit, and separated McMahon's shoulder.

But it also mentions towards the end of the article, that some of the players would get to know each other quite well due to going to the Pro-Bowl each year. Such examples would be Jim Rinog and Stan Jones, who ended up coaching together in Buffalo, Ray Nitschke and Dick Butkus would go golfing, and Willie Wood and Mike Ditka became close friends at the Pro-Bowl.

Coaches/Owners

There are 2 coaches for both sides that are thought of when it comes to history for both the Bears and Packers. The first two for each, George Halas and Earl Lambeau. Both were founders, head coaches, and players at the same time.

On their relationship said:
"Halas and Lambeau are primarily responsible for the rivalry because each was so committed to winning," says Lee Remmel, who covered the Packers for the Green Bay Press Gazette from 1949-1974 and who has served as the team's public relations director since 1974. "All the years they coached against each other, they never shook hands after the game."

There really isn't much to add after that. Both coaches were so committed to winning, and the article also states this, when the Packers would play the Bears, Lambeau wouldn't let the players smile that week.

After Lambeau left, a new coach came about named Vince Lombardi.

On Lombardi said:
"Lombardi said you had to dislike everything about the Bears, even Halas as he stood on the goal line during warm-ups," Davis says. "Lombardi made it seem like Lambeau had never left."

More on Lombardi said:
One year, he had "Beat the Bears" painted on all the blocking bags. Other times, he would have his players switch jersey numbers and play different positions during practice-just in case Halas was spying on him.

The passion of coaches will always rub off on players. Lombardi kept up the tradition of Bears must go down.

Mike Ditka was also a very heated coach when it came to the Packers. He and Forrest Gregg turned it vicious during the 80s. In 1987 during a game at Lambeau Field, the Bears drove down field late in the game, Kevin Butler made a 55 yd field goal to put the Bears ahead, and Butler flicked off Forrest Gregg and signifying "Peace BITCH!". Which ended up happening, as Gregg was fired after the '87 season. Seriously, what player actually flips the bird to an opposing coach during a game?

And currently, an honorable mention when it comes to coaching in the rivalry. Lovie Smith. He isn't a fiery son of a gun, but he made one thing clear when he came to the Chicago Bears. Other than winning a Super Bowl, the next thing on the list is to beat Green Bay. His press conference he stated, we must beat Green Bay. For the most part, he has done that against the Packers, going 7-4 at the helm of the Bears.

Respect

On the field, these two teams hated each other, and it showed. Off the field, tremendous amount of respect for each other. This part of the article pretty much signifies the respect for one another.

Respect said:
In the early thirties, Green Bay loaned Halas $1,500 so he could meet his payroll. Halas returned the favor in 1956 by making a personal appearance at a bond rally in Green Bay as citizens were getting ready to vote on a referendum that would pave the way for the building of Lambeau Field. Halas was a pallbearer at Lambeau's funeral. He was an off-field friend of Lombardi. "The Packers could not have had a better friend than George Halas," Packers chairman Dominic Olejniczak said after Halas died in 1983. Because the Packers and Bears have produced a lot of the league's best players, many of them got to know each other at the Pro Bowl and other offseason functions. Wood and Ditka became close friends at the Pro Bowl. Ray Nitschke and Dick Butkus golfed together.

These two teams are two of the long standing franchises in the game, sporting many Hall of Famers, Over 20 combined championships, shit loads of Division Titles. While on the field there is that hatred that they want to tear each other apart, and that they understand it will get rough and the players will be bruised and beaten, off the field, a great amount of respect.

So there you have it. This is my Greatest Rivalry when it comes to the NFL. If you don't think it is the Greatest Rivalry, you must admit that it is the most storied and longest running in the game. Also, if you don't think it is, what do you think is the Greatest Rivalry in the NFL? I want the story, the background, comparing statistics, what makes it heated, why should we give a shit?

My original thought upon hearing the idea of the thread was the Giants and Cowboys. While that may be one of the most fierce (I didn't want to say it, but had to) today, it's not one of the biggest rivalries of all-time in the league.

At the risk of giving someone (;)) too much ammunition, I'm going to go with the Steelers and Cowboys. While it might not always be a direct head-to-head feud, the fans of both teams create the rivalry. Since the 1970's, both teams have been great, and they've taken it from off the field, to the regular season, and even to the Super Bowl.

Great rivalries are created by die-hard fans, and there's no denying that both of these teams have some of the craziest, most delusional, fans in the league.

AGREED.

I am a Bears fan from beginning to end, and the Packers rivalry has many stories. I hate the Vikings more, but the Pack is always interesting.

I believe the Bears and Packers have winning records at the OTHER team's stadiums, too, which just shows how hard they bring it to rub it in the home team's face.

Jesum Crows people. I figured at least Brian would come in saying I'm wrong and that it is the Steelers and someone else or something. This is to try and help you use your brains and the knowledge you have of such rivalries. But you all, other than NSL, and he didn't even actually disagree with me, agree with me that the Greatest Rivalry in the NFL is Bears vs. Packers. I figured someone would have researched some other rivalries that could be great, whether it involves your favorite team or you are just looking at them objectively. But I guess there is no other thing to say other than chalk this up as Bears vs. Packers as the Greatest Rivalry in NFL history. Unless of course, you know, you want to say I'm wrong and provide information like I did for your rivalry.

One on the MLB will be up soon. I guarantee you will want to post in that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back