Greatest Athlete of All Time

I have a strong feeling ten years from now I'll look at Georges St-Pierre as the greatest athlete of all time.

As for now... I would have to go with my main man Sugar Ray Robinson.

No mentions of Elizabeth Báthory, Shelton Benjamin, or my pet cat The Great White Hope?

For shame.

Probably Jim Thorpe, MJ, Deion Sanders, or Bo Jackson
There really can't be much of a question about it, as I've said earlier. People are trying to guess who's better in different sports not their own, the answer to EVERY one is Jim Thorpe. The guy practically did everything. He was a great decathlete, pentathlete, great professional American Football player, very good professional baseball player, and a professional basketball player. If Hockey was known when Thorpe was a pro, he'd probably be a good pro hockey player too. The sumbitch could do it all at a professional level.

Jamarcus Russel, easily.
I was also thinking about Ryan Leaf and Matt Leinart, too.

If the talks of Jordan being a two sport athlete, albeit one who wasn't so great on the diamond, the greatest athlete of all time, then I would have to agree with NorCal and say Deion Sanders or Bo Jackson.

I know everyone will boo and hiss at this but

Lebron James was a top 5 recruit in football in HS. Also, uh, good at basketball, obviously. Dude is 6'8 270 pounds and probably has a 50 inch vert. Pretty sure he could bust a 4.6 40 as well.

If the talks of Jordan being a two sport athlete, albeit one who wasn't so great on the diamond, the greatest athlete of all time, then I would have to agree with NorCal and say Deion Sanders or Bo Jackson.
Is there a reason you CLEARLY missed Jim Thorpe there, a better athlete then Deion and Bo combined?
I know everyone will boo and hiss at this but

Lebron James was a top 5 recruit in football in HS. Also, uh, good at basketball, obviously. Dude is 6'8 270 pounds and probably has a 50 inch vert. Pretty sure he could bust a 4.6 40 as well.
I ain't gonna boo and hiss bout it. Hell, I would find it hysterical if he pulls a Jordan, retires from Basketball to sign with the Browns and win a Super Bowl. He'd bring Cleveland a championship.

Jim Thorpe is still a better athlete then everyone else combined though.

Jim Brown arguably the greatest running back of all time, a hall of fame lacrosse player, and a double digit scorer in college basketball. He also lettered in track and was offered a minor league contract by the yankees

Jackie Robinson was an all american running back UCLA, a starting point guard who led the Pac 10 in scoring, a greatb track athlete, and he wasn't too bad at baseball either.

Dave Winfield was drafted in both MLB, the NFL, the NBA, and the ABA.

So many great options were out there.

Straight up forgot Jim Brown, very correct, very good pick

I made a case for him with the opening post in the sports stadium thread, but decided it would be best to just defend the guy I believed was the best out of the three the competitors picked.

Can't go wrong with arguably the greatest corner back of all time, a guy capable of being a multiple time all star in baseball had he focused solely on that, and a tremendous college track athlete.

Athletics in general must not be ver popular in North America fullstop... outside of Thorpe, Owens, Bolt and Johnson, there has been basically no mention of any Olympian.

What about Olympic speed skaters and biathletes? Two forms of athlete that would make Wayne Gretzky look like an unfit hack.

What about Olympic gymnasts whose combination of speed, strength, balance and agility would make Michael Jordan look like an amateur?

Suggesting an NFL player is also very suspect in my mind. Not only is it a team game but everything they do is anaerobic - short, sharp bursts. A professional rugby player is not only as big as any NFL player but he covers far more ground and plays for longer stints that 10 secs at a time. Also, I would put someone like Bryan Habana up against any NFL player in a footrace and I think he would more than hold his own.

Carl Lewis didn't get mentioned either. Kinda surprsing.

I dont regret my pick but I would have loved to try and debated for Roger Federer.

Maybe a sports DL is in order?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back