• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Greatest Athlete of All Time

M. Winters

Lyrical Wordsmith
Was just skimming through it in the sports section and was shocked that Wayne Gretzky was only discussed once. I know most Americans don't give a damn about hockey but if you're ever talking about the greatest athletes of all time there is no argument that he dominated his respective sport the most, his career speaks for itself. 2,857 career points, the next closest is Mark Messier(played 269 more games) at 1887 and Gordie Howe(played 280 more games). He also leads the all-time goals category with 894, the closest active player being Teemu Selanne is a whopping 288 goals away and this is probably his last year. Also, he destroys everyone in all-time assists as well with 1,963, the next closest being Ron Francis at 1,249. So how does an athlete who leads his league in the 3 major statistical categories and on top of that has 4 Stanley Cup Championships and holds 40 regular season records and 15 post-season records barely even get mentioned?

I don't have a fucking clue.

Michael-Jordan.jpg

Dominating your sport and having the ability to fly > just dominating your sport

Must agree with Big Sexy here.

While Gretzky was without a doubt the greatest Hockey player of all time, and deserves recognition somewhere on the top ten list, in no way was he a greater athlete than Michael Jordan.

Must agree with Big Sexy here.

While Gretzky was without a doubt the greatest Hockey player of all time, and deserves recognition somewhere on the top ten list, in no way was he a greater athlete than Michael Jordan.

Wayne Gretzky dominated his sport, none of his career points, goal or assist totals will EVER be touched, neither will his regular season records. There isn't even a debate which player dominated their sport more. Gretzky had 215 points in a single season, that's absolutely insane. The average Art Ross(most points in a season) winner now a days will score between 100-120 points, when Gretzky played he scored at will and helped his teammates score like no other.

The fact that he played Hockey has much to do with lack of recognition. Other than Canada and Russia most of the world doesn't give two shits about Hockey. Plus Jordan's compiled championships and the fact that he won three in a row two different times reall separates Jordan from Gretzky.

The fact that he played Hockey has much to do with lack of recognition. Other than Canada and Russia most of the world doesn't give two shits about Hockey. Plus Jordan's compiled championships and the fact that he won three in a row two different times reall separates Jordan from Gretzky.

People not knowing the sport is irrelevant to who the greatest athlete of all time is. If you look at who purely dominated their sport the most, it's obviously Wayne Gretzky.

All time leader in points, goals, assists and holds over 60 league records.

People not knowing the sport is irrelevant to who the greatest athlete of all time is. If you look at who purely dominated their sport the most, it's obviously Wayne Gretzky.

All time leader in points, goals, assists and holds over 60 league records.

So..someone can claim they are the greatest athlete of all time even if the sport they play isn't as well known as others? That's what I'm getting from the bolded part.

This is not just about dominating one sport, and the sports relevancy plays a part in how recognizable the athlete is.

Jordan did way more for Basketball the Gretzky did for Hockey, and the goal of any professional sport is to win championships. Jordan got 6 of them and was the Finals MVP in all 6 series.

Jordan was also a standout in college, a 2 time all American and an NCAA national Champion.

Comparing individual Hockey records to individual Basketball records is simply apples and oranges at this point. We are talking about the creme de la creme here, and Jordan achieved more at a higher level than Gretzky did.

A hockey player the Greatest overall athlete ever? What a load of crap. For all you know, Gretzky could run and throw like a little girl

Surely something like a decathlete would be a far better overall athlete than someone who just excelled at one sport...

How about this guy...

hercules.jpg

He had a combination of speed, strength, endurance, cunning and guile. He could box. He could wrestle. He could fight with a sword or a bow. No contest really

How has nobodby mentioned Takeru Kobayashi, nobody has ever dominated a sport like he once did.
Joey Chestnut >>>>>>>>>>> Takeru Kobayashi.
Барбоса;2429840 said:
A hockey player the Greatest overall athlete ever? What a load of crap. For all you know, Gretzky could run and throw like a little girl
And Jordan could skate like shit, and shoot like crap. That goes both fucking ways, man.

Барбоса;2429840 said:
Surely something like a decathlete would be a far better overall athlete than someone who just excelled at one sport...
this.

with the following 2 words, I win this debate.

JIM THORPE.

I lol'ed so hard seeing Blue Cardinal pick Babe Ruth. Like, seriously? The greatest ATHLETE of all time? The guy smoked, drank like a fish, and ate hot dogs like they were air that he needed to survive. Legendary baseball player, piss-poor "athlete". You're not allowed to win the Greatest Athlete of All Time award when you're as much of a fat-ass as Babe was.

I lol'ed so hard seeing Blue Cardinal pick Babe Ruth. Like, seriously? The greatest ATHLETE of all time? The guy smoked, drank like a fish, and ate hot dogs like they were air that he needed to survive. Legendary baseball player, piss-poor "athlete". You're not allowed to win the Greatest Athlete of All Time award when you're as much of a fat-ass as Babe was.

Then how about Jesse Owens or Usain Bolt?

I'm not entirely sure.. I don't follow every sport but I'm sure there's at least the best of each one. All of them are hard choices though. I'll give a few sports a bash though.. these are my opinions:

Wrestling
Kurt Angle, Chris Jericho, Triple H, The Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, Stone Cold, The Rock and John Cena.

Football/Soccer
Christiano Ronaldo, Ronaldo, Kaka, Lionel Messi, Ronaldiniho and Wayne Rooney.

Off of the top of my head anyhoo.

Jordan more for Basketball the Gretzky did for Hockey, and the goal of any professional sport is to win championships. Jordan got 6 of them and was the Finals MVP in all 6 series.
Wayne Gretzky was playing pro hockey when he was 17, so he has no college or junior league stats to impress you with but Gretzky does have 4 championships as well as 2 Conn Smythe trophies(Playoff MVP) . Oh and he has 9 Hart trophies(Regular season MVP), 8 of them coming in a row.

And Gretzky didn't do as much for hockey as Jordan did for basketball? He's the face of the sport and will be forever.

Wayne Gretzky was playing pro hockey when he was 17, so he has no college or junior league stats to impress you with but Gretzky does have 4 championships as well as 2 Conn Smythe trophies(Playoff MVP) . Oh and he has 9 Hart trophies(Regular season MVP), 8 of them coming in a row.

And Gretzky didn't do as much for hockey as Jordan did for basketball? He's the face of the sport and will be forever.

Logo.gif

Now I don't follow basketball as close.. Just can't get into it. But I do hear often people say Lebron will be better then Jordan all the time. Or that Kobe is better then Jordan.

I HATE Gretzky, always have, always will. But there is no denying he's done more for the NHL then any man has. Not even just the NHL, but all hockey. He is indeed the fact of the sport. His retirement, and career meant so much that the whole league retired the #99. No one can ever have that number again, because they wouldn't be able to live up to Gretzky. He is a National Icon. I mean, he got to be the one to light the Olympic cauldron. That don't go to just ANYONE. IF Wayne put out a clothing line, it would be huge too, just like Air Jordan. Especially since it would be a partnership with Nike as well.

And Jordan could skate like shit, and shoot like crap. That goes both fucking ways, man.

Of course the same goes for Jordan. The greatest athletes are rarely to be found in a team sport.

with the following 2 words, I win this debate.

JIM THORPE.

Thorpe would definitely be up there.

Then how about Jesse Owens or Usain Bolt?

Should he stay fit and follow through with his claims, I could see Bolt heralded as the greatest ever in the next decade.

He is proven at 100 and 200m. He has shown an interest at running 400m and doing the long jump. From there it is not a great leap to go for the Decathlon...

He is certainly crazy enough to try it

I'm not entirely sure.. I don't follow every sport but I'm sure there's at least the best of each one. All of them are hard choices though. I'll give a few sports a bash though.. these are my opinions:

Wrestling
Kurt Angle, Chris Jericho, Triple H, The Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, Stone Cold, The Rock and John Cena.

Football/Soccer
Christiano Ronaldo, Ronaldo, Kaka, Lionel Messi, Ronaldiniho and Wayne Rooney.

Formula 1
Michael Schumacher, Mika Hakkinen, David Coulthard, Aryton Senna and Lewis Hamilton.

Off of the top of my head anyhoo.

Only Schumacher and Senna could be considered there. I did consider picking Flair though.

Rooney and Ronaldo are fuckwits who will be famous for pissing away their frankly ridiculous talent.

Rooney in particular is a cunt.

Spoken like a true Sox fan ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back