• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Grade President Obama On These Four Areas

Calderownz

Brilliant Idiot
So, it's been a bit of time since Barack Obama has been in office. During his campaign, he mentioned many things that he wanted to improve upon. However, he had three major issues that he addressed most in those speeches, and that we all hoped he would properly address if elected.

As mentioned, it's been a couple of years now. So, I want to get your opinions on how he's handled these three areas, as well as your take on how he's handled his term in general.

1. The economy. How do you think he's handled the debt as well as balanced the books in general? What about unemployment?

2. The war. Did he live up his promises in your opinion? Do you think that we're in a better place when it comes to our involvement in the Middle East?

3. Health care. Pretty straight-forward. How do you think he's handled it thus far?

4. Things in general. How do you feel about his term in general?

Obviously, his job isn't finished. Obviously, he has work to do. Obviously, he still has a bit of time on his hands. I'm just acting for your opinions thus far. I'd assume you would judge his performance with an "at-this-moment" mind-set.

Your thoughts?

The Ecocomy - D
Things are still pretty bad, but we are slowly coming back.

The War - C
I have little to no thoughts how he's done here.... remaining neutral.

Health Care - F
All this did was create more confusion and complicate the system. Terrible idea.

Overall - D
He's not done great this term. We got the "change" he promised, but I give his term a D overall because it was BAD change that we got. I don't think it's been all that great and he's gotta be in the bottom 5 out of a presidential rank. Disappointing.

1. The economy. How do you think he's handled the debt as well as balanced the books in general? What about unemployment?

F. Dagger Dias already brought up Obama's campaign slogan. Had Obama chosen not to waste his honeymoon period on something as idealistic as universal healthcare he could have easily paved the way for raising federal income taxes instead of renewing those enacted under GWB.

2. The war. Did he live up his promises in your opinion? Do you think that we're in a better place when it comes to our involvement in the Middle East?

I'll give him an A here. I have to give credit where it's due: there have been no expansionary efforts and it looks like he's keeping to his withdrawal table. That he approved the mission that took down Osama Bin Laden plays a heavy part in the grade I've given him here.

3. Health care. Pretty straight-forward. How do you think he's handled it thus far?

I'll give him a C. He gets an A for his idea but he gets an F for their execution.

D-. The economy and the future of Social Security and Medicare should be his priorities right now. He also needs to come up with a clear and decisive plan on how we're going to reduce our debt. Given that he's renewed GWB's tax rates, he needs to let the public know NOW which entitlement programs will be making the cut as we're simultaneously tightening our belts.

B. Obama has inherited a situation that couldn't be easily fixed, and it's going to take awhile for the United States to come out of it. People are mad that Obama didn't wave his hand and just magically make things better. I'm not convinced anyone could have done a better job than Obama has done.

B+. Same as above. There is no easy solution to the war, and I'm not convinced anyone could have done a better job. He killed Bin Laden, so I say give credit where credit is due.

B-. I like the idea, but Obama isn't tough on the Republicans and all of their bullshit. The health care plan isn't what I would want out of it because the Republicans bitched about it the whole time and Obama tried to appease them - which he probably knows now is impossible because even if he adopted all Republican policies they would find a way to cut him up.

C+. Good guy, but isn't tough enough on Republicans and their bullshit. I think he's far better than any Republican though.

The Economy - C

Obama has inherited a situation that can't be easily fixed, I agree. He also has managed the crisis better than I or most people would expect out of him. A bit more short-term thinking - a bit more gesturing, in other words - wouldn't have hurt.

The War - ?

One must not be too giddy about Bin Laden being dead.

Healthcare - F

He wasted his time and energy on tackling this issue first, and while he was arguably more successful than Clinton, a disgusting chimerical monster came into being.

Overall - D

Fix what he could of both the economy and healthcare, for he's not going to last beyond 2012. That's all I'm saying.

F. The facts speak for themselves. Gas is more than double what it was when he took office. The unemployment rate is significantly higher. He has fought all efforts to seriously reduce the deficit. He has blasted Bush for spending, yet has spent more money in his first two years than Bush spent for his entire 8.

D. This would be an F, but he did at least pretend to give partial credit to Bush for getting Bin Laden, even if it was disingenuous. He promised he would close Gitmo within his first 100 days. Hasn't happened. Troops are still in Afghanistan, and he could be in very big trouble starting tomorrow because of the actions he took in regards to Libya. Tomorrow (5/20) is the 60 day deadline to get approval for those actions because of the War Powers Act. That is the one that says you must get Congressional approval within 60 days for any military action that is not a direct emergency to the United States...and Obama has not gotten that. Either he withdraws all US Forces by tomorrow, or he is in violation of American law.

Incomplete. This is still up in the air, considering there is a decent chance that the entire thing could be completely thrown out by the US Supreme Court as being entirely unconstitutional.

F. Obama has been a very dangerous President. His policies have deliberately harmed the American economy. He claims we need to do more to reduce our dependence on foreign oil, and then blocks all attempts to increase domestic drilling. He will claim that he removed the ban to get good PR, but then with the other hand, has denied all permits, so nobody can drill. Its the equivalent of repealing prohibition back in the 20s, only to refuse to hand out liquor licenses, so nobody can legally sell alcohol anyway.

He goes after those that make more than 250,000 a year...while ignoring the fact that most of those people aren't Bill Gates, they are small business owners who employ millions of Americans.

Wherever there is inequality, a liberal takes those who stand out, and reduce them to the level of everyone else, rather than build everyone else up to the level of those who stand out.

D-

and it's not an F because he extended the Bush tax cuts. Before the stimulus was passed, the administration argued that unemployment would go up to around 9 1/2% if nothing was done and that the stimulus would keep unemployment below 8%. Guess what? Unemployment went up over 10%. Now I won't argue that if the Republicans were in charge that things would be better, but we wouldn't have passed a stimulus bill costing us 700 Billion dollar to effectively do nothing. Tax cuts would at least allow us to keep our own money without going through the inefficiencies of government spending.

A

Now if I were a Liberal, I'd probably give him a C or D, but Obama's policy has, arguably, been even more aggressive against Al Qaeda than even Bush. Gitmo is still open, we're still in Iraq, we have more troops in Afghanistan, we sent more drones into Pakistan, and we're even in Libya now. In my opinion, his speech after "winning" the Nobel Peace Prize was one of the best moments of his presidency when he used that opportunity to recognize the need of military action at certain times.

The fact is that if any other president had done what Obama has done, the left in this country and a lot of people in the world would be upset. But because he's a black liberal from Harvard instead of a white conservative from Texas, people aren't going to call out his hypocrisy.

F

His healthcare bill is just a mess. One, it's unconstitutional, and two, if you're politically connected, you can get a wavier out of it (see labor unions). If this was such a great idea, why are so many people trying to get out?

C

His foreign policy is no different than what Bush had. But his economic policy has done nothing but prolonged the recession. But I do think that Obama has become less ideological after taking the presidency (partly because of the pressure from the right as well as the realization that it's easier to espouse certain ideas when you're not the one in charge).

B+ ---------- Given the extent of the Bush-era problems, there is nothing Obama could have done. Predictions are just that, predictions.

The most hilarious thing is the people who are reaping the benefits of his stimulus bill, that did help the economy and improve infrastructure, promoting green jobs and the cash for clunkers program and many other programs.

When Bush was in office, the economy plummeted with a clear drop off, things are slowly taking off again, we are gaining jobs and I would say Obama has handled it well. He seems to be the victim of circumstance, which is unfortunate.

2. The war.
Did he live up his promises in your opinion? Do you think that we're in a better place when it comes to our involvement in the Middle East?

C+

While he has handled it very well, his military policy is better then Bush's. However, he has not done what he said he was going to do. He has not closed Guantanamo Bay and seems to be seeing the other side of things. Just not what he campaigned on.

He seems to have greatly improved diplomatic relations in the world, and that is a very positive and exciting thing to see.

A+

This man said what he was going to do, he picked up the ball and ran with it. He started a great national debate about health care, something has to be done, we must fix what can be and axe what cannot. Whether or not Obamacare is the answer, who knows. To me, thats not the question. He did what he said he was going to do, he handled it the way he wanted to handle it, and I believe within the next 25 years we will see some real groundbreaking reform.

B

Above average, getting the job done

B-: Things are getting better. It's hard to control debt when you have to spend money to give people jobs. He could come up with a bunch of programs to give people work like FDR did, but that would take a lot of government spending. So overall, there's not much he can really do here.

B-: He got Bin Laden! The dude was chillin in a compound since 2005 and Obama got him! The Middle East has always been a mess and always will be. A bunch of people arguing about religion. We should let them all wipe each other out then swoop in and get all the oil. but when it comes to our involvement anywhere, the UN plays a huge role. We can't just do what WE want to. But I think we're in a better place overall.

A: He tried to do exactly what he said he would do, but congress cockblocked him

B: Given all the opposition he's had from multiple sides, he's done a good job making lemonade out of the bad lemons he was handed. FOUR MORE YEARS BABY! OBAMA 2012!

Not that it is any of my business but I feel as though you guys are being slightly too harsh. Maybe I am just “out of the line of fire” but I would say that Obama is doing exactly what needs to be done.

Here's the thing, David Cameron is doing the exact same thing in the UK. In the latest council election, his party was absolutely slaughtered and it showed that people were not happy with the cuts that were being made all over the economy within the country. His party lost hundreds of seats and he was absolutely crushed in every respect. However, no government, regardless of who is running it, is going to immensely popular right now.

Cuts are being made and jobs are being lost, this is just part of the recession and there is nothing that can be done about it. Of course people are going to think that their system is failing if they cant secure jobs for their citizens, or are embroiled in two wars. A whole bunch of factors have led to Obama almost being cast out as President because he is seemingly “failing” to carry out his policies. However, from where I am sitting, Obama has did a decent job. He is just unlucky that global factors have come into play during his term.

Cuts are being made and jobs are being lost, this is just part of the recession and there is nothing that can be done about it. Of course people are going to think that their system is failing if they cant secure jobs for their citizens, or are embroiled in two wars. A whole bunch of factors have led to Obama almost being cast out as President because he is seemingly “failing” to carry out his policies. However, from where I am sitting, Obama has did a decent job. He is just unlucky that global factors have come into play during his term.

America's been in a recession for 3 fucking years and you're saying it's STILL acceptable for jobs too be lost after it's had so much stimulation effort (that has failed) to improve jobs? Do people not get how after so much money being spent, 3 years to let the economy recover America should be recovering quicker and that unemployment shouldn't be 9 percent? He's fucking failed in terms of the economy, promised for under 8 percent employment and we have over 9 percent. By now any good president would have the economy at a stage closer to sufficient recovery, Obama's failed.

What global factors have cotributed to US having 9% unemployment, a stimulas which didn't work and in so much debt it won't be repaid for years? Please explain.

(Notice how the Liberals still blame Bush for current issues...)

The

1. The economy

D- Gas is $4 a gallon, twice then what it was 4 years ago, my father has been recently cut from his job as a Police Officer and my mother being taxed because she makes more than $250,000 (She works 10 days for that salary)
Obama has done nothing but put band-aids on the "boo boos" and not focused on any real economic issue.

Worst part, liberal news networks will raise Obama to the heavens when their is a spike in the economy and the jobs. Best case of the latest census taken by the government. They hired more people to go door to door and take polls from the public. But when that ended those same people were out of a job and the unemployment rate dipped again.

The War

C- Did Obama raid that Pakistan home and shot Bin Laden himself? Maybe not, but his policy in the war effort was more aggresive than I would have thought from Obama. But this does come at breaking his promises about Gitmo. Or pulling out of Iraq and moving troops into the Afghan.

3. Health care.
F
Your telling me that my father has to lose his veteran health insurance and pay for others is not just, constitutional, and not fair. Now the system is more confusing and more entangled than it even should be. Whatever happened to capitalism?

4:In general
D
Obama's term has been nothing but a bad Christmas present in very nice wrapping. His plans have not helped the economy but did not destroy it.

Love,
Member of the independent's.

America's been in a recession for 3 fucking years and you're saying it's STILL acceptable for jobs too be lost after it's had so much stimulation effort (that has failed) to improve jobs? Do people not get how after so much money being spent, 3 years to let the economy recover America should be recovering quicker and that unemployment shouldn't be 9 percent? He's fucking failed in terms of the economy, promised for under 8 percent employment and we have over 9 percent. By now any good president would have the economy at a stage closer to sufficient recovery, Obama's failed.

What global factors have cotributed to US having 9% unemployment, a stimulus which didn't work and in so much debt it won't be repaid for years? Please explain.

Woah there.

First off, a lot of economists at the time felt the stimulus package should've been north of a trillion dollars to be effective. Obama's stimulus was south of that.

Lastly, even if Obama pumped enough money to keep the economy rolling, there's still no absolute guarantee the recession will just disappear as fast as it surfaced. Just look at the Great Depression - for all the hype surrounding the New Deal, it was merely a series of feel-good gestures and did nothing to seriously lift the US from the Depression.

Woah there.

First off, a lot of economists at the time felt the stimulus package should've been north of a trillion dollars to be effective. Obama's stimulus was south of that.

Lastly, even if Obama pumped enough money to keep the economy rolling, there's still no absolute guarantee the recession will just disappear as fast as it surfaced. Just look at the Great Depression - for all the hype surrounding the New Deal, it was merely a series of feel-good gestures and did nothing to seriously lift the US from the Depression.

So why did he go through it? It was a bad decision.

And I never said the recession should've gone as quick as it surfaced, but our recovery SHOULD be much better than it currently it is. I'm not saying America should be having growth similar to pre'recession but 3 years and we STILL have 9 percent employment and are in enormous, incomprehensible debt. H'es fucked up.

We aren't losing jobs anymore, we've been gaining jobs for almost 6 months now.
"The Labor Department says the economy added 244,000 jobs last month. Private employers shrugged off high gas prices and created 268,000 jobs -- the most since February 2006."

Hmmm.... If he failed utterly, why are we adding jobs? Why is the economy doing much, much better since he's taken office? Sure unemployment is at 9%. Big deal. We don't hire millions of people in one month. Get real.

The thing about the stimulus plan is a great one. The people who are reaping the benefits of it are complaining that it did not work. Social programs, tax incentives, tax breaks for the people who ***need*** them.

If it wasn't for stimulus plan, we'd be looking at 5% higher unemployment, easily. So while its not instantly going to save us all, it's done its job.

What is fail, is impatient people who don't realize the extent of the Bush-era damage.

Gas is $4 a gallon, twice then what it was 4 years ago, my father has been recently cut from his job as a Police Officer and my mother being taxed because she makes more than $250,000 (She works 10 days for that salary)
Obama has done nothing but put band-aids on the "boo boos" and not focused on any real economic issue.

Let me dissect this.

4 dollars a gallon has nothing at all to do with Obama. Unrest in Africa driven by the demand of developing countries. How in the blue hell do you get off even condemning gas prices in the first place? Go to Britain, go to Canada, go anywhere else, they'll be paying more.

250,000 dollars should be taxed and taxed she shall be. She makes higher income there for she should pay her amount of taxes and Obama is correct in ending the 250,000 tax breaks for people who do not need them.

If your family is struggling to get by on 250,000 a year, then you get no sympathy from me. I make 1/15 of what she makes and I get by just fine. Living within your means is the key.

The thing is, if Bush was re-elected.. Why not Obama?

Bush is 1/3 the man Obama is. (wonder if anyone caught that to?)

We aren't losing jobs anymore, we've been gaining jobs for almost 6 months now.

Hmmm.... If he failed utterly, why are we adding jobs? Why is the economy doing much, much better since he's taken office? Sure unemployment is at 9%. Big deal. We don't hire millions of people in one month. Get real.

The thing about the stimulus plan is a great one. The people who are reaping the benefits of it are complaining that it did not work. Social programs, tax incentives, tax breaks for the people who ***need*** them.

If it wasn't for stimulus plan, we'd be looking at 5% higher unemployment, easily. So while its not instantly going to save us all, it's done its job.

Ahh yes. The in 1 trillion plus stimulas pack has done such a great in retaining our 9% unemployment even though Obama promised below 8%. And enough debt to be rapaying foe years. It's completely worked, the payoff has been graet.

According to,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_debt_by_U.S._presidential_terms

George Bush added around 4.5 trillion in debt, Clinton added a mere 1.6 Bush Sr. and Reagan added around 3 trillion combined.

What we have here is a trend, not just one president, not just Obama.

Well you know, in my opinion, I believe that it has worked out great. Your opinion can vary, but I am under the impression that if it were not for that stimulus package, which was not 1 trillion plus, it was 787 billion, if I recall, unemployment would have been more around 10 to 15% maybe even more, who knows?

Its one of those things where we will never know, because he enacted the plan. Obama was not the only person who contributed to the debt we have now. Its a trend....

The problem is, for us to get the ball moving again, we need jobs, which the stimulus plan did help. Everyone knows how it all works, the more jobs, the more economic output the more money spent the more money made for everyone.

The thing is, we are no longer the worlds top dog and by the end of the decade we will be number two. We will not prevent this... It is inevitable and we must prepare for the future.

Mitt Romney and good ole' Newt are NOT the answer. I don't know if Obama is or not, but come on Republicans, do better... : *(

Let me dissect this.

4 dollars a gallon has nothing at all to do with Obama. Unrest in Africa driven by the demand of developing countries. How in the blue hell do you get off even condemning gas prices in the first place? Go to Britain, go to Canada, go anywhere else, they'll be paying more.

250,000 dollars should be taxed and taxed she shall be. She makes higher income there for she should pay her amount of taxes and Obama is correct in ending the 250,000 tax breaks for people who do not need them.

If your family is struggling to get by on 250,000 a year, then you get no sympathy from me. I make 1/15 of what she makes and I get by just fine. Living within your means is the key.

The thing is, if Bush was re-elected.. Why not Obama?

Bush is 1/3 the man Obama is. (wonder if anyone caught that to?)

Trust me I still ask myself the very question on why my mother needs to earn that much. I guess she and my sister have expensive taste.

But should she be taxed more because she works harder than someone who does not earn as much? Shall we continue to nurture and care for the same people that are hurting the economy because they need a free hand out? Why should anyone work and earn their pay if we can just tax the higher earners?

And yes, Obama is a major key on why $4 a gallon. He has worked so hard against off shore drilling and domestic drilling. Him and the rest of the liberals were against drilling in a hell hole in Alaska because he doesn't want America to stop sucking of the tit that is the Middle East when it comes to oil.

But should she be taxed more because she works harder than someone who does not earn as much? Shall we continue to nurture and care for the same people that are hurting the economy because they need a free hand out? Why should anyone work and earn their pay if we can just tax the higher earners?

Why not ask the Europeans? After all, some of them do have tax the wealthy heavily - and none of them are slouching, giving up on work, and beg on the streets just to not pay taxes.

So why did he go through it? It was a bad decision.

You can also remember that the Republicans kept on asking for a stimulus package that was south of a trillion; nay, even smaller than the amount that was passed. It was a bad decision, yes, but not entirely Obama's fault.

And yes, Obama is a major key on why $4 a gallon. He has worked so hard against off shore drilling and domestic drilling. Him and the rest of the liberals were against drilling in a hell hole in Alaska because he doesn't want America to stop sucking of the tit that is the Middle East when it comes to oil.

I would go so far as to say Obama did the wrong thing by essentially discouraging offshore drilling as well as drilling in reserves, but then again, the oil companies and their captive regulatory agencies have earned his, my, and any tree-hugger's disdain.

Cutting corners to cut costs (to put it lightly), as revealed in the Deepwater Horizon disaster, is the number one priority of these companies, death be damned. If you were president and are surrounded by aides who were/are Wise Use advocates or former corporate stooges, how would you not move to stifle their activity, unless you want them to do precisely what is harmful for the sake of the bottomline?

Why not ask the Europeans? After all, some of them do have tax the wealthy heavily - and none of them are slouching, giving up on work, and beg on the streets just to not pay taxes.

What are you talking about? The difference in European and American taxation primarily results from VAT taxes. Also, if you're trying to imply that Americans are lazy, this is probably one of the dumbest and most ignorant things I've ever read on here. Why don't you try taking an introductory sociology class before spouting shit like this? You'll learn that many of America's poor actually do work but still need government assistance to make ends meet. Also, the reason why you never see Europeans "slouching [and] giving up on work" is because many literally don't have to do shit and they'll still be taken care of. If you want proof, go and research the cradle to the grave social welfare system of Sweden.

What are you talking about? The difference in European and American taxation primarily results from VAT taxes. Also, if you're trying to imply that Americans are lazy, this is probably one of the dumbest and most ignorant things I've ever read on here. Why don't you try taking an introductory sociology class before spouting shit like this? You'll learn that many of America's poor actually do work but still need government assistance to make ends meet. Also, the reason why you never see Europeans "slouching [and] giving up on work" is because many literally don't have to do shit and they'll still be taken care of. If you want proof, go and research the cradle to the grave social welfare system of Sweden.
I think you got him wrong. He probably meant that a high top income tax rate doesn't discourage riches as much as right wingers want to make us believe. European social systems work rather well, some for more than half a decade now and I don't get why the US doesn't implement fractures of it as well.

What Nino Vega said. I wasn't implying you people generally are lazy bums; I spent seven years in the US, so I would know if that is the case.

Also, I've done research on Sweden's social welfare policy before - and I've been informed that they're in the process of reforming it so that, in a phrase, 'everybody who can work will work and not ride the coattails of the Swedish system till they die'. It must also be noted that Sweden's case is unique in its loopholes and the abuses it provides - you won't see welfare being abused like this in any other welfare state in Europe, or any developed country for that matter.

He claims we need to do more to reduce our dependence on foreign oil, and then blocks all attempts to increase domestic drilling. He will claim that he removed the ban to get good PR, but then with the other hand, has denied all permits, so nobody can drill. Its the equivalent of repealing prohibition back in the 20s, only to refuse to hand out liquor licenses, so nobody can legally sell alcohol anyway.

I'd like you to explain this. You can find online how even if American's drilled as much as they could possibly could it would amount to 1 - 3 cents different in gas prices. You know who benefits huge from being able to drill without restrictions? Gas companies. You know who gets large fucking donations from the gas companies? Republicans. You know who doesn't? Democrats. Do the math.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back