• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Government agencies, colleges demand applicants' Facebook passwords

Davi323

semi-retired from WZ
http://redtape.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/06/10585353-govt-agencies-colleges-demand-applicants-facebook-passwords

If you think privacy settings on your Facebook and Twitter accounts guarantee future employers or schools can't see your private posts, guess again.
Employers and colleges find the treasure-trove of personal information hiding behind password-protected accounts and privacy walls just too tempting, and some are demanding full access from job applicants and student athletes.

In Maryland, job seekers applying to the state's Department of Corrections have been asked during interviews to log into their accounts and let an interviewer watch while the potential employee clicks through wall posts, friends, photos and anything else that might be found behind the privacy wall.
Previously, applicants were asked to surrender their user name and password, but a complaint from the ACLU stopped that practice last year. While submitting to a Facebook review is voluntary, virtually all applicants agree to it out of a desire to score well in the interview, according Maryland ACLU legislative director Melissa Coretz Goemann.

Student-athletes in colleges around the country also are finding out they can no longer maintain privacy in Facebook communications because schools are requiring them to "friend" a coach or compliance officer, giving that person access to their “friends-only” posts. Schools are also turning to social media monitoring companies with names like UDilligence and Varsity Monitor for software packages that automate the task. The programs offer a "reputation scoreboard" to coaches and send "threat level" warnings about individual athletes to compliance officers.A recent revision in the handbook at the University of North Carolina is typical:

"Each team must identify at least one coach or administrator who is responsible for having access to and regularly monitoring the content of team members’ social networking sites and postings,” it reads. "The athletics department also reserves the right to have other staff members monitor athletes’ posts."
All this scrutiny is too much for Bradley Shear, a Washington D.C.-lawyer who says both schools and employers are violating the First Amendment with demands for access to otherwise private social media content.

"I can't believe some people think it's OK to do this,” he said. “Maybe it's OK if you live in a totalitarian regime, but we still have a Constitution to protect us. It's not a far leap from reading people's Facebook posts to reading their email. ... As a society, where are we going to draw the line?"

This is a rather long article, and I only cut and pasted the first 1/4 of it, but even that is enough to get the gist of the article...

Holy hell. This is going to be one of the rare times I agree wholeheartedly with the ACLU. I find this concept utterly appalling, and a complete invasion of privacy. If tomorrow, my employer demands that I accept their fan page or ANY employee of my company as a friend or I will be fired, tomorrow would be my last day at the company. It's none of their damn business.

Wow, this is the first I've seen of this.

Don't have time to read the full article now, but just from the exerpt you posted, I'm quite shocked. I didn't know it had gotten to this level. The company I worked for previously would sort of "unofficially" monitor Facebook. They wouldn't ask for your password, or even ask you to friend any monitoring person. But if they found out through word of mouth or water cooler talk that you had said something negative about the company on FB, there would be a conversation, and perhaps more if it continued. I guess this is the next logical step. Not saying I agree with it. I want to read the whole article later when I have time and see what I think of it. Should have further thoughts then.

It's probably not such a crazy thing, as you're making it out to be, Davi. In a time where superinjunctions, sexual harassment cases and public image are more important thasn ever, companies and especially, the government need to stick their neck out more to make sure not a bad word is spoken about them. It wouldn't look good on the FBI, if one of their agents is posting obscene racists, xenophobic or sexist remarks on Facebook or Twitter, now would it? Of course, the agent is responsible for not posting stuff like that in the first place but, the government needs to be sure. It would become a scandal if anything of the sort were to hit the media, and it would be a catastrophe for public perception fo the company and crime-stopping if it were the FBI case.

You may call it a breach of privacy or whatever you may, but it's business. I don't agree with you having to give them your password, as that in itself is a security risk but, I would have no hesitation in accepting an employer as a friend on Facebook. Afterall, aren't they the people that are paying you, so that you can have the ability to have a computer that you can use to get on facebook, anyway? Okay, that may be a little far fetched but, I would never bite the hand that feeds me, especially if it were just because they wanted to see my facebook feed.

The password should be kept secret from those not allowed access. Though it has different issues, a personal account must not be given to employers as it needs privacy. Interviews and examinations are enough to know the personality of the applicant and not its facebook account.

A password is a secret word or string of characters that is used for authentication, to prove identity or gain access to a resource. The password should be kept secret from those not allowed access. Many found it troubling when employers started using credit scores to screen new candidates. Now, several unrelated reports say that Job-hunters being asked to divulge Facebook passwords. The job market continues to be challenging, and every job seeker must judge for him or herself how much of their privacy they are willing to give up in the name of job security. As we all know, password should be kept secret from those not allowed access. Though it was just for security purposes, its unethical to divulge the password of a personal account to anybody.

This is sadly 21st century business trying to catch up with the evolution of social networking. Personally, I don't see why any business needs to know what I am doing with my personal business when I am off the clock. When I am there, and on the clock working my ass off, should it matter I partied the night before? If I'm the clock, and you want to find reasons on why you wish to fire me, by all means go ahead. But those hours when I'm at home minding my own business, I don't need the managers going through my Farmville or my relationship status on Facebook.

Humans aren't perfect, and it is just plain silly for managers to try and hire people who are. If you can find someone that can do the job I do better, and the only thing he does when is home is read bible verses and walk his dog, Butterscotch. And your only excuse for letting me go is because they saw me use the word fuck on my facebook wall I would follow it with legal action against the company. What bothers me even more is that this company chairmen will sit there upon their Ivory Towers and judge you for what you write on your Twitter and your Facebook while those same men will most likely have more skeletons in their closets than the majority of their own employees.

Its an invasion of privacy in one of the worst modern ways to invade someone's privacy and sadly enough this isnt the first time I hear of something like this. People arent who they pretend to be on the internet. On Facebook I either see pictures of people posing, statuses about being at a party, or statuses reflecting a period of sadness in someone's life. This by no way means those individuals are bipolar models. I agree that if anyone is stupid enough to put a picture of themselves breaking the law on the internet that they've brought upon themselves whatever judgement comes their way but people have once again taken a modern day innovation and turned it into an awkward thing. Why must coaches add a student on Facebook? Do they not know that the student can simply block them from seeing any post or picture they desire? I give props to facebook for taking the initiative to be sensitive to those who receive a friend request they simply cant turn down.

Washington D.C.-lawyer Bradley Shear:
"I can't believe some people think it's OK to do this,” he said. “Maybe it's OK if you live in a totalitarian regime, but we still have a Constitution to protect us. It's not a far leap from reading people's Facebook posts to reading their email. ... As a society, where are we going to draw the line?"

Great question. Where DO you draw the line?

The comparison to revealing one's Facebook status and their subsequent posts to being able to read emails is a slight exaggeration, but it's a fair point. With personal email, it's a social, not work or school related thing, and the same goes for Facebook. One of the most important things in this world is the ability to socialize outside of the bubbles of work and school, and Facebook is the world's largest medium of socialization. Sad, isn't it? We socialize more with people on an internet sharing site then we do face to face.

So, what will happen when these passwords and private posts are revealed to the schools and employers who desire to track them? Simple. People will stop using them to do anything that could be considered the slightest bit immoral, whether it be talking about having drinks with others, or sharing the details of their romantic lives. When this happens, what will employers and schools do then? Require access to text messages and the ability to tap phone calls? It's a slippery slope as to where this stops.

I understand the concern- Employers don't want loose cannons at their workplace, especially given the type of job. I doubt McDonald's will be participating in this, but Im sure medical professions will. I know in my line of work, a drunk driving offense from 10 years ago can provent someone from ever working in the field per most employers. Hell, this was the case with one of my staff, who got a DUI 8 years ago. She couldn't get a job anywhere, and she's the best employee Ive ever had, with a perfect track record otherwise. So while I understand some of these concerns, and the need to ensure some measures to be taken, this is incredibly and unneccesarily invasive.

Should schools and employers want to identify warning signs? Sure, that's smart business, and it's an accountability measure as well. I understand that. You see issues like the boy from the school in Ohio whose Facebook posts were disturbing, and noone picked up on that. We're all aware of the sad situation that occured there. With an increase in these violent incidents, places are going to want to do all they can to take preventative measures.

But in the end, it's not going to matter. You can place all the restrictions you like on social media sites such as this, and people are simply going to stop using them to update their social lives. And if they are that loose cannon the school or employer are trying to weed out, they're going to both stop using Facebook for social means, and that behavior is going to come out anyways.

And in the end, you're going to be left with the other 99% of people having their right to privacy violated, in the truest lose/lose situation you could ask for. The logic is understandable, and it may weed out a bad seed or two, but the giant possibility is there for innocent people to unfairly lose their jobs or school status because of innocuous comments they make, or misinterpretations by the school/employer.

If you think privacy settings on your Facebook and Twitter accounts guarantee future employers or schools can't see your private posts, guess again.
Employers and colleges find the treasure-trove of personal information hiding behind password-protected accounts and privacy walls just too tempting, and some are demanding full access from job applicants and student athletes.

In Maryland, job seekers applying to the state's Department of Corrections have been asked during interviews to log into their accounts and let an interviewer watch while the potential employee clicks through wall posts, friends, photos and anything else that might be found behind the privacy wall.
Previously, applicants were asked to surrender their user name and password, but a complaint from the ACLU stopped that practice last year. While submitting to a Facebook review is voluntary, virtually all applicants agree to it out of a desire to score well in the interview, according Maryland ACLU legislative director Melissa Coretz Goemann.

Student-athletes in colleges around the country also are finding out they can no longer maintain privacy in Facebook communications because schools are requiring them to "friend" a coach or compliance officer, giving that person access to their “friends-only” posts. Schools are also turning to social media monitoring companies with names like UDilligence and Varsity Monitor for software packages that automate the task. The programs offer a "reputation scoreboard" to coaches and send "threat level" warnings about individual athletes to compliance officers.A recent revision in the handbook at the University of North Carolina is typical:

"Each team must identify at least one coach or administrator who is responsible for having access to and regularly monitoring the content of team members’ social networking sites and postings,” it reads. "The athletics department also reserves the right to have other staff members monitor athletes’ posts."
All this scrutiny is too much for Bradley Shear, a Washington D.C.-lawyer who says both schools and employers are violating the First Amendment with demands for access to otherwise private social media content.

Anyone care to make the over/under on the lawsuits that will arise from that?

Nope, they can go fuck themselves.
There is a line drawn between work and private life and requiring someone to divulge private information about their social life is a gross crossing of the line. It's unnecessary, extreme, invasive and a slippery slope for anyone who wants a private life. Do want to know to know my politics, what about my diet, how about what I'm doing on my time off so you can call me into work at will? Nope, go fuck yourself. You don't own my private thoughts, you don't own me outside of the office, what I do when I leave is none of your business and that's the way it will stay.
This kind of McCarthyism is totally unjustified and using it as implied blackmail against potential employees is despicable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back