• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Good Ole' Ticked Off J.R.

But its obvious from a kayfabe perspective that Santino had just named someone off the top of his head in order to avoid having to kiss Khali, it wasn't actually inferred that the two had ever done anything. It didn't sound like JR was legitimately pissed and I was under the impression that he is unable to change his facial expressions much because of his well documented battle with his condition but I may be incorrect in that assumption. I don't know of any other announcer who would have been angry about it. If you imagine Monsoon, Brain, Lawler, Cole, McMahon etc being involved you would assume they would have seen it as purely business kayfabed it accordingy (would have been classic if it was Heenan). JR did kayfabe it accordingly by being surprised and denying it, just like you would do in real life if it was falsley inferred that you were a ladyboy enthusiast. He wan't supposed to 'take the joke' whilst on camera as that would have broken kayfabe but I'm sure the real life Jim Ross took it fine.

I think JR's past so called humiliations have made people think he was automatically legit pissed at the Santina thing but I'm pretty sure it was just another day as an on-screen personality.

Assuming he was pissed in kayfabe, he broke kayfabe with his "who fed you that line?" comment. It was pretty clear he was legitimately pissed about the situation, and needs to lighten up a bit. He's been in the wrestling business for God-knows-how-long. He knows what it's like to pull and receive ribs on the guys. I don't understand why he reacted so negatively toward it.

J.R has the right to be ticked off. If i was in his shoes, i would be be ticked off aswell. Not everybody sees that as a joke. Some people get offended more than others, which is completely idiotic as to why vince would even allow that on someone like JR. After years of being loyal to WWE and the wrestling bidness, you'd figure vince would grow up and give the man his due, but instead, he hits him where it hurts.

J.R has the right to be ticked off. If i was in his shoes, i would be be ticked off aswell. Not everybody sees that as a joke. Some people get offended more than others, which is completely idiotic as to why vince would even allow that on someone like JR. After years of being loyal to WWE and the wrestling bidness, you'd figure vince would grow up and give the man his due, but instead, he hits him where it hurts.

As if it were some big personal issue that hit JR close to home? Come on, man. Compare it to two friends calling one another gay.

I love JR but it comes off like he can't take a joke and thinks he's above it. it's just like with the draft last year when he was drafted to smackdown and wasn't told. he almost quit the company because of it.

The guys a damn veteran, he deserves better, if he was in on it then fine, but vince keeps doing it, if someone did a skit of them taking things out of your ass after you had surgery for cancer then please laugh out loud

It's only a gay joke tbh, not a big deal, but at the same time Michael Cole mcoking you about anything has got to be annoying a shit, that guy is annoying by nature.

Well, it looks like Jim Ross gave his thoughts on the whole situation that happened at Backlash. It appears, as we speculated, that this skit was not divulged to JR in advance and caught him by surprise.

However, like I thought, his mark fans were more upset about it than he apparently was.

"Many fans emailed us their thoughts on my interaction with Santina/Santino at Backlash and many of them had much stronger feelings on that issue than did I. The bit was simply an aspect of the TV show that happened to catch me by surprise. It was intended to be funny and entertaining. Some folks thought it was and some thought it wasn't. Santino Marella is a colorful, entertaining and funny character on a TV show, end of story. Some fans even suggested that I should have 'quit your job' and 'walked out' of the PPV. Now THAT would have been an intelligent decision. It's show biz folks and some of it we will like and some of it we won't. I've had worse days on the job and seen far less funny attempts at humor on a wrestling show so I easily moved on and tried to contribute to two title matches which immediately followed the foray into comedy at Backlash."

What is the lesson learned from all this? Some of you guys take this stuff way too seriously, and need to lighten up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back