Ghostbusters - Official Trailer

enviousdominous

Behold my diction
[YOUTUBE]w3ugHP-yZXw[/YOUTUBE]

I realize that most self-professed esteemed critics on YouTube have already torn this trailer to ribbons, hopefully the cooler minds of this forum will take a much less sensationalized perspective in that few of us are jockeying for a diamond play button.

I was a huge fan of the original film, but I like to believe that I'm wise enough to not expect a movie that's released this year to capture my heart as well as a movie I saw when I was four.

The biggest complaint I've seen is that the trailer for the new movie depicts it as being just a silly combination of overly goofy characters and gratuitous CGI, also that the trailer didn't emphasize the grittiness that helped the characters in the original become so endearing. I personally think that this complaint is bullshit, and to help explain why I'll re-watch the original trailer.

[YOUTUBE]teGxHLo9Qcc[/YOUTUBE]

From what I saw in that original trailer, they were trying to sell us goofy characters and strategic cut-aways during scenes involving ghosts, also that trailer didn't emphasize that the Ghostbusters are anything more than just a bunch of obnoxious nerds. So if we're comparing the trailers to each other, they're about the same. I think it's unfair to take an entire movie from 1984 and a trailer from 2016 and do an apples to apples comparison.

I'll give the people complaining that those who directed the trailer should have probably considered making it appeal to the most prominent examples of why superfans loved the original Ghostbusters. Even then; people make movies either to make money or to throw out there as Oscar bait. These days excessive CGI and corny wise cracks apparently make money, though in referencing the original trailer I think it would be unfair to assume that the new Ghostbusters' movie is just going to be a mess of one-liners and obvious CGI.

I'll be seeing this in the theater because even if the movie is bad I'll probably just have fun pitching wise-cracks to complete strangers, but I have to hope that it's a great movie because the trailer really didn't make it clear that it would be.

I'm a huge fan of Kate McKinnon's work, so admittedly she's the main reason for why Sony will be getting my money. I'm very glad that she's apparently playing the Peter Venkmen of the team, I think that she has the most acting range out of any of her co-stars. Kristen Wiig is crazy talented, but she's basically a female Ryan Reynolds with her a hundred words a second delivery style. Lord knows Leslie Jones is just there to give some diversity to the cast, not that I don't appreciate her style but the trailer made it apparent that her stereotypical mannerisms will trump her character's actual contributions to the plot. Melissa McCarthy... yeah, I don't much care for her.

I expect that on its own this movie will be an above average action-comedy that empowers young women to want to pursue STEM careers and take pride in their potential. For now -- based solely on the trailer -- the consensus seems to be that, because it didn't honor the major takeaways from the original Ghostbusters, this movie will be terrible.

Oh yeah; the pathetic abominations that rally around that #gamergate bullshit are disgusted to the point where they'll likely be burning crosses in front of theaters that play the new Ghostbusters movie, because vaginas.

For me its not the girl factor. Its not even Melissa McCarthy because watched "Spy" and thought it was decent. Just like "Fantastic Four" reboot sucked not because of Michael B Jordans black "Human Torch" this will not suck because of female leads but because it would be bad. You could see by trailer. Fact that Bill Murray almost refused to have anything with it because every version that he saw was bad and that his role(as well as Akroyds and Hudsons)has nothing to do with originals and it's just new character doesnt help thinking how this will be just plain bad.

For me its not the girl factor. Its not even Melissa McCarthy because watched "Spy" and thought it was decent. Just like "Fantastic Four" reboot sucked not because of Michael B Jordans black "Human Torch" this will not suck because of female leads but because it would be bad. You could see by trailer. Fact that Bill Murray almost refused to have anything with it because every version that he saw was bad and that his role(as well as Akroyds and Hudsons)has nothing to do with originals and it's just new character doesnt help thinking how this will be just plain bad.

Honestly; while Bill Murray's endorsement does go a long way with me, I remember that John Candy had refused to be a part of the original Ghostbusters because he didn't have faith in its ability to draw.

I hope that this movie will be less of a reboot and more of a spiritual sequel, I say this knowing that every reference to the new movie describes it as a reboot, but it seems like the history of the original Ghostbusters' universe is intact in this new movie.

I think it was extremely smart of them to make this one an all female cast, not to sound sexist but most tv shows involving paranormal activity and psychic phenomenon seem to be directed toward women. I'm really hoping that this film will be willing to show a more human side and relate to how women are believed to be more spiritual and thus more relate-able to paranormal occurrences.

After watching it for the first time, the trailer actually surprised me, because I was expecting the worst. It's always a refreshing change of pace to see a more subdued version of Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig is more tolerable in supporting roles, and I don't have any real complaints about the rest of the cast.

Still, this reboot, remake, reimagining, or whatever the hell you want to call it is doomed to fail. Ghostbusters needs strong, positive reviews to have a shot at a successful box office run, and it's still a longshot, because I'm not sure positive feedback will be enough to overcome the early wave hate against this film.

When it comes to fans and critics, remakes or reboots have a tough, tough hill to climb before the word go, because you have to deal with the inevitable comparisons to the original film, and the "it'll never be as good as the original" and the cash grab complaints nine times out of ten.

A while ago Paul Feig lashed out on Twitter with a series of angry tweets to defend the film, with Feig telling others to go fuck themselves with one tweet. Feig was tired of misogynistic complaints, and I'm not doubting the misogynistic hate towards this remake, but I have to believe a remake for Ghostbusters would still receive a venomous reaction with an all male leading cast.

As far as Feig being the director/co-writer for the screenplay goes, I have some doubts. Feig has a few successful actress/director collaborations with McCarthy, including Spy and The Heat (I know McCarthy received an Oscar nomination for Bridesmaids, but Kristen Wiig was the main character in that film, while McCarthy was reduced to a supporting role), and he's only taking a few small steps outside of his comfort zone. But from a directorial standpoint, Feig's work is just respectable at best, and his films are performance driven films more often than not. Also, I have a bad feeling Ghostbusters 2016 will rely on CGI too much.

Night Of The Demons 1988 is one of my favorite 80's horror films, and I also enjoyed the 2009 remake. But with the exception of die hard horror fans and fans of the 1988 original, NOD 2009 received a lot of negative reviews. Still, it's a low budget remake of a lesser, more obscure cult film, so in the grand scheme of things, a negative reception won't have a meaningful impact. That, or the vast majority won't bat an eye, or most people won't care either way.

Of course, the naysayers are overreacting (as usual), but Ghostbusters 1984 is a beloved all-time classic, the movie is loaded with memorable quotes, moments, and scenes, and last year, Ghostbusters '84 was added to the National Film Registry. A lot of die hard fans of the original will reject this film no matter what, with a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality, because there's the impression of trying to improve on something that doesn't need improvement.

There's a slight chance for a more sensible reaction from fans and critics, if the powers that be decided to go with a sequel or Ghostbusters III, with McCarthy and others simply picking up, where the original crew left off. Throw in some brief cameos, connections, and winks to the original films, and they might've had a chance to erase any real doubts. Hell, paying homage, and taking a noticeable trip down memory lane with nostalgia did wonders for The Force Awakens at the box office, and it's a critically acclaimed film. But you had to expect "the angry mob with flaming torches and pitchforks" reaction, when the details for this film were announced, because it's going to be hard or damn near impossible for anything to top or come close to the quality and overall significance of the original Ghostbusters.

I was pleasantly surprised with the trailer. Being a Ghost Buster die hard from my childhood this is a most see for myself. I am a bit disappointed by the whole development of this project. Nothing against anyone involved but I've been saying for a long time that Broken Lizard should reboot the franchise. I know they would've gone extremely over the top with it but it would've been stupid hilarious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back