The Logan Teaser Trailer

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
The teaser trailer for "Logan", in what's reported to be Hugh Jackman's final appearance as Wolverine, was released 3 days ago and has been generating a ton of positive buzz.

[youtube]Div0iP65aZo[/youtube]

The premise of the movie is that it's set in the year 2033 and things have taken a turn for the worse since "X-Men: Days of Future Past." Most of the world's mutants have been killed or are in hiding thanks to the efforts of Nathaniel Essex, better known as Mister Sinister in the comics, and his band of cyborg mercenaries named the Reavers. Wolverine's healing factor is petering out as he's aging while his face and body are scarred as a result of past injuries. Professor Xavier is still alive, though he has Alzheimer's disease and is under Logan's care. The young girl in the trailer is hinted at being Laura Kinney, known as X-23 in the comics, who is a female genetic clone of Logan.

The story already has me quite intrigued and I thought Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt" for the trailer was a perfect match. In the video for "Hurt", Cash was physically very frail and had been ravaged by the advanced effects of a number of diseases; he was 71 when he died in September 2003 but he looked more like 91. He was always known for this powerful, booming bass baritone voice that didn't sound like anyone else though you can hear his voice has a much weaker timbre and a distinctive wheeze. The song fits perfectly as Wolverine is basically this epitome of physical vitality, yet he's succumbing to the effects of mortality.

The scene with Xavier lying in the bed seemingly staring up at nothing with his lips moving slightly was a bit emotional for me as it was so reminiscent of my mother during her last few days before dying of cancer. The song fits in with Xavier as well as he's someone who's mind is slipping away, even though his body has almost always been rather frail, he's spent most of his life in a wheelchair after all, his powerhouse mind was the source of vast telepathic power that, judging by the trailer, is all but gone.

This is the first of the X-Men films to carry an R rating, there's a slightly longer teaser showing Wolverine driving his claws up through a merc's chin and out the top of his head, and it's really something that's long overdue for Wolverine. He's never been a Superman, Spider-Man or Captain America type of hero but rather he's always been more of a gritty anti-hero willing to take it to the bad guys as badly, or even worse really, than they'd take it to him.

I think this is going to be an awesome movie.

So many superhero movies from DC and Marvel portray themselves having a hard-edge approach to the comics, and then they end up having silly comic relief moments that -- for me -- undermine the seriousness of the movie. Some of us like a serious story in the style of No Country for Old Men. Comic book adaptations can rarely capture that kind of magic.

I have a lot of faith in this film, even though I'm really not a big fan of Wolverine. This version of him seems more relatable, the scene of him at the cemetery really got to me. I have to imagine that his survivor's guilt is probably the most extreme case in history.

Usually, when you think about a send-off in the movies, you think of said character or film series going out with a bang, or some grandiose and spectacular finale, but that's not the case here.

They're going for a more somber and subdued farewell for Jackman, and the trailer really is fantastic for a refreshing change. We're so used to seeing Jackman as this invincible and untouchable badass, but now we're looking at a broken man. The thick beard, and Logan's worn out demeanor is very different from what we've seen over the years, and I'm hoping they'll get it right this time. Origins is okay at best, and The Wolverine was an upgrade over the original, but the solo Wolverine series is still missing that one truly good or great film.

Jackman is synonymous with Wolverine, so it'll be strange to see a new Wolverine/Logan, when he's done. Bruce Wayne/Batman is a revolving door, and it's been that way for years. You could say Tobey Maguire is an obvious choice for the best Spider-Man/Peter Parker, but Tom Holland showed promise in Civil War. Looking at the field with other superheros or anti-heroes, you can always say there's room for improvement, or he or she was worse or better than the last one, so Hugh Jackman's consistency and longevity is truly a rarity.

Usually, when you think about a send-off in the movies, you think of said character or film series going out with a bang, or some grandiose and spectacular finale, but that's not the case here.

They're going for a more somber and subdued farewell for Jackman, and the trailer really is fantastic for a refreshing change. We're so used to seeing Jackman as this invincible and untouchable badass, but now we're looking at a broken man. The thick beard, and Logan's worn out demeanor is very different from what we've seen over the years, and I'm hoping they'll get it right this time. Origins is okay at best, and The Wolverine was an upgrade over the original, but the solo Wolverine series is still missing that one truly good or great film.

Jackman is synonymous with Wolverine, so it'll be strange to see a new Wolverine/Logan, when he's done. Bruce Wayne/Batman is a revolving door, and it's been that way for years. You could say Tobey Maguire is an obvious choice for the best Spider-Man/Peter Parker, but Tom Holland showed promise in Civil War. Looking at the field with other superheros or anti-heroes, you can always say there's room for improvement, or he or she was worse or better than the last one, so Hugh Jackman's consistency and longevity is truly a rarity.

Part of the problem with the X-Men films is that it's all 20th Century Fox, they have the final decision on EVERYTHING that goes down and don't really have to consult Marvel for anything whatsoever. When the first X-Men film came out back in 2000, the superhero genre was all but dead and Joel Shumacher's abysmal Batman movies saw to that. I enjoyed X-Men overall and I understand Fox went in the direction they did because they didn't want it to seem over the top, too gimmicky in terms of drawing on comic book material due to concern that it'd turn moviegoers off. Aside from the X-Men animated series of the early 90s, the X-Men hadn't had the sort of long term mainstream exposure characters like Superman, Batman, Spider-Man or the Hulk.

Jackman's love of the character is well known, otherwise he wouldn't have played him so many times regardless of money. After all, Jackman's an Academy Award nominee, he's won two Tony Awards, an Emmy, a Drama Desk, a Golden Globe and has a net worth of about $150 million so it's not as though he needed to or had to play Wolverine for so long. I thought he did a great job in the films, even if some of the films as a whole weren't that great.

Fox isn't going to give up the film rights to the X-Men franchise anytime soon, if ever, because they've made a total of roughly $4.4 billion worldwide at the box office. I'd like to see them cut a deal with Marvel, however, so that the X-Men can be rebooted as part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, similar to the deal Marvel and Columbia made for the use of Spider-Man. Of course, truth be told, it might be better if a deal could be worked out just for the use of Wolverine and Deadpool rather than the X-Men franchise as a whole as they're the stand out money makers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back