German Nazi or Italian Mafia - More Prevalent Stereotype

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
It's a fairly simple question. In a world of stereotypes (Irish drunks, for example), there are two I always find myself battling internally.

When I am speaking to someone who is 100% German, I can't help but wonder if a member of his family was ever in the Nazi party, or if they knew someone who was.

When I am speaking to someone who is 100% Italian, I wonder if their father was in the mob. I even look for a pinky ring.

I may not ALWAYS do this, but I've caught myself doing it once or twice.

So I pose this question - which national stereotype do you think is more prevalent? Do German people conjure up more thoughts of World War 2? Or do Italian people create more thoughts of Goodfellas and The Godfather? Why do you think that is?

Without being offensive towards the Germans I do really think that they are the stereotype that stands out the most.

The fact that a lot, forced or willingly were supporting the Nazi party in the 30's and 40's makes it so much more likely that their family is related to a former Nazi supporter.

I'm not too certain, but I'm guessing that the majority of Italians is in no way related to any mob, even if Italy (and Japan) are the primary connections to the mob, they're necessarily not the biggest stereotype there (I'm not sure who is, but I'm almost certain the mob isn't the biggest stereotype).

The size of the mob is inferior to the size of the Nazi parties, back then, and still existing today, so the chances of running into someone related to the Nazi parties, through blood or own contribution, I think is far superior to the chances of bumping into a mobster.

Well since I have Italian and German roots I'd say I have a pretty good handle on this subject.

Italians have the more prevalant stereotype from where I'm sitting. The last names usually scream Godfather and their families are mostly very close just like in the movies. When I think Italian I think mob.

When I think German I don't always think Nazi, I think of Oktoberfest and things of that sort. That's just me though, since around where I live there are small German festivals.

The big difference I think is that the Nazi party was a huge part of history and out in the open a long time ago. The Italian mafia has been something that is more of a secretive thing and is still going on today(in much smaller fashion)

So for my money Italians get stereotyped more often as mobsters then Germans do as Nazis.

It's a fairly simple question. In a world of stereotypes (Irish drunks, for example), there are two I always find myself battling internally.

When I am speaking to someone who is 100% German, I can't help but wonder if a member of his family was ever in the Nazi party, or if they knew someone who was.

When I am speaking to someone who is 100% Italian, I wonder if their father was in the mob. I even look for a pinky ring.

I may not ALWAYS do this, but I've caught myself doing it once or twice.

So I pose this question - which national stereotype do you think is more prevalent? Do German people conjure up more thoughts of World War 2? Or do Italian people create more thoughts of Goodfellas and The Godfather? Why do you think that is?
The sad truth of the matter is while German's don't seek it out, and actively try to break ties with their dark history, many Italian Americans have cultivated this image of false bravado and try to live up to if not eclipse their own gumba/guido/mafioso stereotype.
Germans aren't running around in jack boots throwing up the hand; but just try to find an Italian kid from Jersey, Staten Island etc., who isn't trying to project the image of "Growing up Gotti".
The further and further we get from WWII, and as that generation begins to wain, the further away we get from the "Nazi" as a stereotype. I don't recall the source but something like 25% of (American) adolescence don't even know who Hitler was.
I think Germans conjure a Nazi mental image shorthand because stupid people don't know anything else, while the Italian stereotype is alive and well simply because Italians (and even some non-Italian) are actively keeping it alive. They're probably equally pervasive at the moment but as time goes on the Italian stereotype will potential gain the momentum.
BTW IC, I wear a pinky ring, was raised Italian (Sicilian) Roman Catholic along with receiving and wearing the gold crucifix chain for years, have family in the "old country", am a hell of a cook, have pizza almost every Friday --especially during Lent--, have been known to exchange envelopes of crisp twenty dollar bills as gifts, and own more adidas tracksuits and workout gear than I care to list; despite all of that noise I'm no goodfella. Now if you'll excuse me I've to hop in my IROC to pick up my pinstripe suits from the dry cleaner on the way to the tanning beds at my local Gold's gym.
Salute!

The sad truth of the matter is while German's don't seek it out, and actively try to break ties with their dark history, many Italian Americans have cultivated this image of false bravado and try to live up to if not eclipse their own gumba/guido/mafioso stereotype.
Germans aren't running around in jack boots throwing up the hand; but just try to find an Italian kid from Jersey, Staten Island etc., who isn't trying to project the image of "Growing up Gotti".
The further and further we get from WWII, and as that generation begins to wain, the further away we get from the "Nazi" as a stereotype. I don't recall the source but something like 25% of (American) adolescence don't even know who Hitler was.
I think Germans conjure a Nazi mental image shorthand because stupid people don't know anything else, while the Italian stereotype is alive and well simply because Italians (and even some non-Italian) are actively keeping it alive. They're probably equally pervasive at the moment but as time goes on the Italian stereotype will potential gain the momentum.
BTW IC, I wear a pinky ring, was raised Italian (Sicilian) Roman Catholic along with receiving and wearing the gold crucifix chain for years, have family in the "old country", am a hell of a cook, have pizza almost every Friday --especially during Lent--, have been known to exchange envelopes of crisp twenty dollar bills as gifts, and own more adidas tracksuits and workout gear than I care to list; despite all of that noise I'm no goodfella. Now if you'll excuse me I've to hop in my IROC to pick up my pinstripe suits from the dry cleaner on the way to the tanning beds at my local Gold's gym.
Salute!

Well said. I thought the OP was hilarious as were you and I am with you all the way on the last paragraph too, so I found that pretty funny and accurate at the same time. I feel the OP on the stuggle there, it is hard to say which one you battle with more, or any stereotype for that matter. We all see them, some of us are them coincidentally, and most of us have encountered them. I often find people I see who blatantly fulfill any stereotype as pretty funny, thus non threatening, and somewhat enjoyable to be around. It's just hilarious sometimes to watch these people work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back