• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gang warfare: just doesn't work!!!

spinningtorturerack

halfnelsonfullnelsonwilli enelson
What I mean here is that a lot of the time a group is set up to 'take over' or with some objective of that kind. fine. Then more groups get added to the mix and the whole storyline goes to pot and everyone quickly loses interest.

Here are my cases in point:

- Nation of domination - great stable with a brilliant and simple reason to be grouped together and be a force to be reckoned with. It is even understandable that they kick out crush and savio vega and if they had feuded with just those two it would have been fine. BUT they overwhelmed us with two other gangs with only their leader as someone we recognise, then suddenly overwhelmed with people, and no real side to support.

- nWo - Again this would have been fine if it had stayed as nWo vs wcw, even if wolfpac was a contingency or elitist group sided with wcw that would have been fine. However we again ended with three groups, wcw, the main company who nWo were trying to put out of business, lost in the mix and suddenly no cared about wcw.

- Corporation/ministry/DX - This got very confusing. First we had the ministry, a sinister evil group just being evil. Hating stone cold steve austin among other feuds. Then VKM brings in his own elitist group to take out Austin, the corporation. We also have DX floating around at the time just to mix it up. Obviously the crowd all supports austin, but then we are supposed to care about people swapping back and forth between groups and so on, then ministry corporation join together, to make a HUGE group, too big really.

These are three prominent examples i can think of off the top of my head. My point is, does gang warfare, where we have more than two opposing teams (eg nwo & wcw) work? If so when? Do you enjoy watching these back and forths between numerous groups?

I think the point your making is not that "gang war" storylines don't work, but rather they have a tendency to be taken too far. Let's face it, arguably the most important storyline in history (nWo vs. WCW) started off as a raging success. Even when it evolved into NWO vs. IV Horsemen it was working fine. But you're right, once it became NWO vs. WCW vs. Wolfpac vs. LWO vs. The Flock vs.... it just got overwhelming. Even the more recent example of the Mafia vs. TNA shows the same problem; it was all going fine until World Elite showed up and muddied the waters.

For an example of a gang war that never failed (until Montreal, of course), I give you DX vs. The Hart Foundation. I also think the Nation vs. DX was well done. I still say the best all-time was the early days of the nWo vs. WCW, which peaked with Hogan/Sting @ Starrcade and didn't really fall apart until the night of the "poke of death" that reunited the NWO and Wolfpack and started the whole "NWO elite" angle.

i think the problem with this is the group always gets to big to fast look at the NWO they had 9 main eventers there DX went from 3 people to 6 in the blink of an eye the corporate ministry and was kind of cool but i could never keep up with all the people the wolfpack hada new legend every week they always try to make it into a big super group for what? it was fine in the first place

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back