Future NHL city

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
If you were able to put an NHL team in any city, which city would it be? I thought of 15 cities that have the possibilities to have an NHL team in their city. The cities are as following with write ups on the five Canadian possibilities.

1 Regina/Saskatoon
The province has been hit with an economic boom as they are producing oil at a great rate. With incredible home town spirit spanning from the CFL team there, it can be seen that they would love their chance to win some NHL games.

2 Halifax
The Maritimes are in economic decline, but Newfoundland has money coming in. There are no large cities there, so perhaps they can share the burden with Halifax.

3 Winnipeg
After the departure of the Jets, the city has wept for hockey. With plans for a new arena to be built it is possible. The city has close to a million people so hockey fans will come out.

4 Hamilton/Golden Horseshoe region
Recently it has been discussed as a possibility. With a corporate sponsor ready, in a city with a million people close by, an NHL team would thrive in Hamilton. I see no reason (besides the pressure of the Maple Leafs and Sabres) that there is not a team there already.

5 Quebec City
The former home of the Nordiques, the town would be the only city in the NHL where the official language is not English, giving french Nationalism pride in a sport they are hugely apart of. They have plans to build a new arena in the 400 year old city, and with a lot of money in the province, it seems possible that a new team there would be possible.

6 Seattle
7 Portland
8 Kansas City
9 Las Vegas
10 San Diego
11 San Antonio/Houston
12 Indianapolis
13 Baltimore
14 Milwaukee
15 Hartford

1. Hamilton
Alot of publicity surrounding Hamilton and the NHL. We are ready to support a team and with Balsille backing us and funding the renovations to Copps Colliseum I don't see why the NHL won't let him move a team here. And that's the problem right now, Balsille vs. the NHL.

2. Quebec
They had the Nordiques, but now seem ready for another shot at a team. They have plans for a new arena and it looks like they could be one of the front-runners for a team. This would also re-open the rivalry between Montreal and Quebec so that's a plus.

3. Kansas City
Not by my choice, but because of the NHL. They want a team here and Kansas City wants a team and have an arena ready apparently. There's no denying that Bettman wants a team in the States and that he wants to market the game there and Kansas City is a definite place in his mind.

4. Las Vegas
Again, not by my choice. This is another destination the NHL is thinking about and have had discussions about. I don't see why they would want to put a team here and not ANYWHERE in Canada, but I don't run the NHL so I have no say. I hope a team doesn't go here.

Honourable Mentions:
Winnipeg (discussions have started, but nothing firm)
Halifax (long shot I believe, but still in the back of the NHL's mind)
Southern Ontario that's not Hamilton (same reasons as Hamilton above)

I think you'd have to look into the Harrisburg-Hershey-Baltimore area. Hershey currently has a very successful minor league franchise and have had packed arenas since the 1940's. Reading, PA also has the Royals, and they draw VERY well. The Pennsylvania midstate was ranked this year as the #1 minor league market...for very good reason, the fan bases are very loyal, and they tend to draw in large numbers. Oh and you can't forget that with some renovating Hershey already has a fantastic hockey venue, well venue in general.

It would be foolish to go against a Canadian city, as any United States location is no match compared to a Canadian location. I think the Hamilton, Quebec area would be ideal if an NHL team were to relocate.

The Hershey Region IS a very successful region, home of the winningest team for the Calder trophy that there is. Hickey seems to do extremely well in the region, except Pennsylvania already is home to two NHL teams, one that was in financial trouble only five years ago. I am sure with the revitalizing atmosphere the region could do well, and that is why I thought Baltimore might be about to support a team. Though they already are home to an NFL and an MLB team.

The Hershey Region IS a very successful region, home of the winningest team for the Calder trophy that there is. Hickey seems to do extremely well in the region, except Pennsylvania already is home to two NHL teams, one that was in financial trouble only five years ago. I am sure with the revitalizing atmosphere the region could do well, and that is why I thought Baltimore might be about to support a team. Though they already are home to an NFL and an MLB team.

Yup. Baltimore is a very good alternative to that area, but they also had trouble supporting an AHL franchise in the past, which doesn't bode well for an NHL franchise. The Pens also had the city of Pittsburgh's difficulties to thank for the financial difficulties...not to mention a run-down arena and a fan base that has disappeared (much like the non-existent Pirates fan base).

There's a lot that has to be taken into consideration but the Central-PA area has all the ingredients in place for at least one major professional sports franchise. The area is home to at least 10 minor league franchises and has had numerous others in the past. Not to mention they have the money to support one, and terrific fan bases.

If you were able to put an NHL team in any city, which city would it be? I thought of 15 cities that have the possibilities to have an NHL team in their city. The cities are as following with write ups on the five Canadian possibilities.

1 Regina/Saskatoon
The province has been hit with an economic boom as they are producing oil at a great rate. With incredible home town spirit spanning from the CFL team there, it can be seen that they would love their chance to win some NHL games.

2 Halifax
The Maritimes are in economic decline, but Newfoundland has money coming in. There are no large cities there, so perhaps they can share the burden with Halifax.

3 Winnipeg
After the departure of the Jets, the city has wept for hockey. With plans for a new arena to be built it is possible. The city has close to a million people so hockey fans will come out.

4 Hamilton/Golden Horseshoe region
Recently it has been discussed as a possibility. With a corporate sponsor ready, in a city with a million people close by, an NHL team would thrive in Hamilton. I see no reason (besides the pressure of the Maple Leafs and Sabres) that there is not a team there already.

5 Quebec City
The former home of the Nordiques, the town would be the only city in the NHL where the official language is not English, giving french Nationalism pride in a sport they are hugely apart of. They have plans to build a new arena in the 400 year old city, and with a lot of money in the province, it seems possible that a new team there would be possible.

6 Seattle
7 Portland
8 Kansas City
9 Las Vegas
10 San Diego
11 San Antonio/Houston
12 Indianapolis
13 Baltimore
14 Milwaukee
15 Hartford

1. Lumping these two cities together is a terrible idea, being that that are separated by 300 miles, which, I think is like 37,000 km. Secondly, San Antonio could not support a hockey team. Economically, it is a weak city, and the Spurs don't really make too much money there.

Houston, on the other hand, is a rich city, which has been looking for a team for quite some time. Houston's teams always rank in the top 10 in attendence, and it is the nation's number four TV market. Team owners if Houston have had a tradition of being very willing to throw money at top level talent. The city has hosted the World Series, Major League Baseball All Star Game, Super Bowl, 2 Wrestlemanias, and 4 NBA final and 4 WNBA finals. The Stanley Cup finals would be well run and organized.

Houston's AHL franchise, the Aeros have won several league championships, has high attendence, and it well supported by the community. Houston has one of the few MLS franchises that make money too, so Houston supports even minor sports, like the NHL.

Houston would be the best choice. Texas has shown that it can go hockey crazy too. The Stars are very successful. The TV market is there, the fan base is there, now all we need are a few Russians and a few Canucks.

I wasn't lumping them, just could not decide on which of these two cities would get the franchise (Being I am not well versed in a state that is 1000 miles (512300 kilometers) away from here. Both teams already are home to an AHL team (Aeros and Rampage). I know how San Antonio supports the Spurs and if they would embrace a n NHL team the same way, similar how Dallas has done with the Stars, it would thrive. But if Houston has the money, then it makes sense to put them there. Really could not decide, as they are both about the same distance from Dallas.

Of the cities that TM listed, I'm partial to Hartford. I don't think I've made it a secret in the past, I'm a mark for the Whalers. In fact, I still sometimes find myself watching clips on youtube. I'm not trying to say Hartford had the best team, but they routinely sold out their arena.

Aside from that, if I had to choose a city myself, I'd say Cincy. Here me out here. We have one of the better ECHL teams going right now in the Cyclones. Former Kelly Cup winners, constantly in the playoffs, and consistantly selling a majority of the available seats. We've also been home to the IHL affiliate of the Maple Leafs in the past, in the form of the Mighty Ducks. Contrary to popular belief, Cincinnati is very pro-hockey. Hell, Miami University is one of the better hockey programs in the NCAA, so they'd be able to draft out of there, y'know?

Anyway, those are my picks. Good ? Bad? Feedback is desired......

Cincinnati is an interesting pick, I was tempted to list them or even Cleveland. I heard Cleveland has been in some financial problems as of late, but I have heard that about a lot of Ohio.

After discussing the situation in Columbus with Shocky, I found some insight into the situation there. He is also for Cincinnati to get the team there, and said Columbus was a bad choice.

Columbus was an atrocious choice, unless you live in Central Ohio. It's a two or three hour drive from all the other major cities, and they aren't exactly in need of an economic pick-up, either. An NHL team in either Cleveland or Cincy would help either of those area's immensely. Hell, I'd enjoy a team in Toledo more, as it would help them out financially. The only reason Columbus got a team was because Nationwide Arena offered to let them use it for a smaller fee, and the league wouldn't have to help foot a bill for a new rink.

I'm a big supporter of Winnipeg and/or Hartford getting their teams back. Considering all the recent issues surrounding Phoenix, it would probably be smart to move them back to Winnipeg, and rebuild the support of Canadian fans.

Hartford is a great choice because of the success of local college hockey teams. Maine and New Hampshire are routinely in the Frozen Four, and are among the best teams of the last 10 years. Fans there are begging for a franchise, and it would be a big boost for the region. Outside of Boston, there's no pro sports teams in the New England region.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back