• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Franchise resurrection

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
After the shocking news that Duke Nukem forever is FINALLY getting a release date. After realising it wasn't the last sign of the apocalypse I took some time to think. I then thought of the likes of Fire Emblem, Dragon Quest and even Kid Icarus who have seen mini revivals in the past few years. Kid Icarus will get his first game since the GameBoy and things are shaping up.

Than I got thinking some more, gaming in its vast history is littered with once great heroes and franchises that have just kind of vanished. Alex Kidd who was the 80s Sega hero yet hasn't been seen for quite some time, what about Streets of Rage? That hasn't been seen since 1994. That's some older examples, but what about the likes of F-Zero etc.

Simply put I am asking which franchise you would like resurrected? How would you like the game done? Which console?

One rule though, they have not to have had a game this generation (PS3, 360, Wii, DS and PSP).

For me I would choose F-Zero. F-Zero was something on the SNES in that it was a fast racing game, X and GX were phenomenal too. They were fun racers that were the opposite of Mario Kart in style and play.

The last time we saw a game for this was in 2004 and I think this generation sorely needs one. The possibilities of online play without needing the wii motion gimmick would bring a much welcome return for the F-Zero franchise.

I completely agree on F Zero, it is definitely one of my favourite race series, despite the later games crazy difficulty, you just dont get many games that match the feeling of speed and just simple excitement that F Zero does. Episode 1 Racer came close. I would absolutely love to see a new sequel.

Another game I would ADORE to see a sequel to, is Actraiser. For anyone unfortunate enough to play the first one, Actraiser had two games on the SNES, that is it. While the second is ok, the first was the classic. A mix of city building and platforming, you play a God trying to save his world from an army of demons, this consists of going down to earth and fighting the demons in a platform style, rebuilding towns, as well as helping villagers in need, using your powers in certain scenarios as well as protecting from stray demons. The city building aspect is pretty simple, and usually each city takes about 30 minutes before all demons are cleared. If I am perfectly honest, the platforming parts arent fantastic, but they are good enough to almost match the city building half of the game. Never seeing a new game since the SNES, I think it could be absolutely fantastic to see an Actraiser 3 that stays truer to the original then the sequel. After so many years, the game could be expanded on so much and another cult classic could very easily happen.

First one that comes to mind is actually one that partially disqualifies itself: Warcraft. The Real-Time Strategy part of the franchise is obviously dead and buried. However the MMORPG aspect of it is very much alive.

However, I would love to see the RTS part of it return, mostly because there's a large amount of Warcraft lore still uncovered in both World of Warcraft, as well as the Warcraft series in general.

Obviously it would have to be redone on the PC again, because it's pretty much where Blizzard and Warcraft thrives. I don't see it ever transcending to Xbox, Playstation or Nintendo.

The game would pretty much just be done like it always were done. Following a lore to tell the tale of the game, following the heroic characters in various missions. Pretty simple, yet great franchise.

Another one, which would be completely legit is: Age of Empire. Died out as Microsoft closed down Ensemble Studios. And I think it was generally a big mistake, the series both with the spin-offs (Dynasty and Mythology) was generally a big part of Real-time strategy gaming if I remember correctly.

Again, a PC game. Which is what it should stay as, mostly because I could never get myself into anything but sport / fight games on a playstation, Xbox or Wii.

And Age of Empire covered a lot of historical events and tales. Something that is definitely not even half covered by them yet. There's a lot of various things that can still be covered. Hell an Age of Empire influenced on Rise of Nation for example would be absolutely amazing, rising from stone-age to modern age and perhaps even future.

Another one, which would be completely legit is: Age of Empire. Died out as Microsoft closed down Ensemble Studios. And I think it was generally a big mistake, the series both with the spin-offs (Dynasty and Mythology) was generally a big part of Real-time strategy gaming if I remember correctly.

Again, a PC game. Which is what it should stay as, mostly because I could never get myself into anything but sport / fight games on a playstation, Xbox or Wii.

And Age of Empire covered a lot of historical events and tales. Something that is definitely not even half covered by them yet. There's a lot of various things that can still be covered. Hell an Age of Empire influenced on Rise of Nation for example would be absolutely amazing, rising from stone-age to modern age and perhaps even future.

You might be pleased to know (or very pissed) that a new Age of Empires is on the way. From what I have seen though, they are going a very strange path and making it completely online. Though I havent shown a keen interest in it, it reminded me more of a farmville style app then an Age Of Empires game. I seriously hope I am wrong, but I think you should check it out.

I agree with Warcraft as well, though Warcraft is my least favourite of the big three, and I would welcome the Starcraft II expansion before hand. Warcraft is still neverless one hell of a fun rts, Blizzard are reknown for their excellent stories and lore and Warcraft is the shining example of that, topping Diablo and Starcrafts already sensational stories by a mile.

I would love to see a continuation from where we left off, and I hope that when we are finished with Diablo III and Starcraft II's remaining expansions, Warcraft 4 will be the next big project.

You might be pleased to know (or very pissed) that a new Age of Empires is on the way. From what I have seen though, they are going a very strange path and making it completely online. Though I havent shown a keen interest in it, it reminded me more of a farmville style app then an Age Of Empires game. I seriously hope I am wrong, but I think you should check it out.

That's very interesting dude. I had only heard that Ensemble Studio was closed down by Microsoft and some were kept around to maintain the Halo Wars game, and others were starting some other company. Although when I read about them last (During a project where I was writing about Microsoft) they had no games announced.

I guess an online aspect of the game would certainly be an interesting development in the game. And it would certainly revive it with a bang I'm sure. Especially considering how popular it was, and how popular online gaming has become over the past years.

I agree with Warcraft as well, though Warcraft is my least favourite of the big three, and I would welcome the Starcraft II expansion before hand. Warcraft is still neverless one hell of a fun rts, Blizzard are reknown for their excellent stories and lore and Warcraft is the shining example of that, topping Diablo and Starcrafts already sensational stories by a mile.

I would love to see a continuation from where we left off, and I hope that when we are finished with Diablo III and Starcraft II's remaining expansions, Warcraft 4 will be the next big project.

Sure I agree with Starcraft probably being a great choice to continue on. Especially considering the success of World of Warcraft, which would most likely cause a few of the people to lack the interest in reverting back to the RTS aspect of the game. At least compared to resuming the adventure ofp laying Starcraft. I'm still a little confused that while Warcraft is certainly the main franchise of Blizzard Entertainment, why they haven't capitalized on perhaps building towards another MMORPG in Starcraft. Something I'm convinced could be successful indeed (Not to the extend of Warcraft however).

What are you talking about? I just bought a NEW ages of empires game a few years ago. They said that this had happened several years ago, but that flies in the face of the game that came out in 07, and will now be coming out at either the end of this year or next year.

What are you talking about? I just bought a NEW ages of empires game a few years ago. They said that this had happened several years ago, but that flies in the face of the game that came out in 07, and will now be coming out at either the end of this year or next year.

Ensemble Studios closed down in 2009 Fury. Also like I noted in my reply to Steve, I had heard nothing of the Age of Empire release that was announced. But it would still mean that temporarily the franchise died out, considering the company producing it was closed down.

So in theory, until the next game is released, I would say that the franchise is still among the death that needs to be revived.

Ensemble Studios closed down in 2009 Fury. Also like I noted in my reply to Steve, I had heard nothing of the Age of Empire release that was announced. But it would still mean that temporarily the franchise died out, considering the company producing it was closed down.

So in theory, until the next game is released, I would say that the franchise is still among the death that needs to be revived.

Well I also remember talk about it years back, but I guess it doesnt matter either way. The game is being made again and will be coming out regardless of studio.

I would love to see Lucasarts release a new X-Wing/TIE Fighter type game. They have ignored the genre for over a decade, and those were some of the most fun games I have ever owned for the PC.

Also along those lines, while KOTOR and the Old Republic are cool, I want another Dark Forces game starring Kyle Katarn! Those games were great, especially Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy.

On the consoles, I want a return of old school. Tecmo Super Bowl for the PS3 or 360. Greatest football game of all time, and it was so simple! I absolutely love Madden and NCAA, but you have to almost take a class to learn the controls...unless you grew up playing them, they are not particularly easy to learn how to play at a competitive level. But Tecmo? Simple game, simple controls, loads of fun...make it networkable, and you have an updated stroke of brilliance. The games take 20 minutes at most, great for those times you just want to pay for a little while, without having to invest at least an hour.

I don't know if this really counts as a franchise resurrection, but the Japanese really need to get their hands back on the Silent Hill franchise. Silent Hill: Origins was a pretty good game as it stayed faithful to its source material, but Silent Hill: Homecoming was absolute shit. Silent Hill is meant to be played as a leveled game, not a quasi-sandbox game where you hop back and forth between different parts of town.

But, this sentiment is illustrative of my general dissatisfaction with the gaming industry's Americanization.

The mere mention of LucasArts has reminded me of two franchises I really hope are not far from returning (X Wing/Tie Fighter is the shit also).

In the last year or so we have seen the return of Monkey Island as well as Sam And Max, great point and click adventures that, while not as good as their originals, still deliver.

With these comebacks I sincerely hope, that there will come a day soon when Full Throttle 2 or Maniac Mansion 3 are announced. Full Throttle and Day Of The Tentacle were two of my favourite games from childhood, and in my opinion the perfect example of how to make a great point and click adventure. While I love SAM and MI, I would love even more to see Bernard, Hoagie, Laverne return for another stupid timetravelling adventure, as well as The Edisons and the Tentacles. I can only hope this trend of bringing back the point and clicks will continue.

And if Full Throttle 2 were to be announced, it might as well cancel itself if it looks anything like this.

[YOUTUBE]xjqAN72DoyU[/YOUTUBE]

KILLER INSTINCT!!!

WAY better than Mortal Kombat IMHO, and honestly the first game that actually had me up all night trying to beat it. The game, I believe, wasn't that big of a hit because of it being "too much like MK" but to me that was the awesomeness of it.

Riptor was the best character in the game and then in Killer Instinct Gold, it was Spinal... Man talk about hard as hell to beat. This guy stomped me in the ground for days.

How does this reflect on the topic? Well I have been waiting patiently for a sequel after hearing that Rare was in talks about the third, and that was when the first Xbox came out... So if it were to get revived, I'd hope it would a 360 exclusive... and I hope Riptor or Spinal return.

I have to go with Space Quest. It was so very enjoyable for me; I wish that they'd make a new one that connects with the old games. Seeing Space Quest VII: Return of the Roman Numerals release now would be amazing.

With the advances that have been made in gaming, Space Quest could be a huge hit as long as they don't give it the damn Leisure Suit Larry treatment.

I know a few years ago they release the collection of all the Space Quest games, but those don't count, it's not a resurrection of the franchise, it's a blatant attempt at making money off nostalgia. But you know, I’d be happy right now if they remade the games and released them on XBLA or the PSN like they are currently doing with Monkey Island franchise.

I just want more Space Quest.

Also, I'd probably revive Hell Gate London. I didn't get to play it when it first came out, but I did just before the studio closed down and the servers were shut down. The game was good, enjoyable, and difficult. The story was nicely made and the online play was very enjoyable, I just wish that I'd been able to play it prior to the studio being closed. More so, I'd love to see it picked up by someone like Bethseda Softworks or to see Bungie try their hand at that style of game.

Im going to go with. Shenmue man i am dieing for that third game to come out. Originally on the dreamcast and then dubbed in english and released the second game i think on Xbox 1. I used to love the Interactive cut scenes and was an interesting story. Seriously if i could revive a game franchise this would be it, im surprised nobody posted this game, or is it just me that wants this game so badly. Shenmue III is something i am waiting for ot be announced but it just not happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back