• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Forgotten Stables

Radical Canadian Goose

Getting Noticed By Management
Now we all know that stables have been a huge part of wrestling since the inception of the Four Horsemen. Many popular stables have emerged such as DX, NWO, Evolution, Nation of Domination and Ravens Flock just to name a few. However after screwing around on youtube today I saw a talented stable that I totaly forgot about : The Unamericans: This stable contained 3 Canadians, Lance Storm, Christian and Test along with Brit William Regal. I want to know why you think this stable flopped, and what other forgotten stables that had potential failed

In some formation, the truly great stables have a main eventer, a midcarder full of potential, an enforcer, a tag team and a manager/mouthpiece of legendary stature.

The UnAmericans were mid-carders at best, although at their best as a tag team. It didnt help that Test was involved. He was a failure in this role. Christian and Jericho were always solid and dependable.

But they were a trio and with no main eventer involved, they were always doomed to mediocrity. I do think it is something that could work now as it is perfectly suited for a PG product.

However TNA had the best Canada stable of recent years and Team Canada were awesome. Likewise, they were missing a main eventer.

Well, I wouldn't say the stable failed, really. It did exactly what it was supposed to do; it had mid card feuds for a little while, and disappeared. They got mid card to main event feuds with The Undertaker, Kane, Booker T, RVD, and co. I wouldn't say it was a failed group, so much as it didn't live up to your expectations.

It gets forgotten because, it was a mid card stable. That, plus it was a redundant group, that's been done over and over in the history of wrestling. It seems like we get foreign groups who hate Americans every two years on television. So the group isn't forgotten, it just doesn't stand out compared to the hundreds of similar groups that play the exact same role.

As for a forgotten group over time, I'll go with the Ministry. History will never allude to this group, as they were pretty damn Satanic over time, and admittedly, that's probably never going to air on WWE Television ever again. But at the time, they played a better cult role than the Straight Edge Society does. The things they did were shocking, to the point of making you uncomfortable, which was the exact hope of the group. They hoped to scare the everlasting shit out of you, and that's exactly what they did, at least to me. I don't care who you are, watching your favorite facebeing crucified, and potentially burned to a crisp is something that will frighten you to death. Sure, all of the wrestlers weren't great. Ok, I'll be more frank; Mideon and Viscera were the absolute shits, but they were good for what they were brought in for. Other than that, you had The Brood, who also worked with them, The Acolytes, and The Undertaker himself. I feel that a group like this, at least, was a little original, and downright freaky.

So yeah, The Undertaker scares us shitless. What else is new?

Very few stables make it big. The nWO, MEM, Four Horsemen, and Evolution come to mind as ones that were "successful". However, how can you measure success? The Dangerous Alliance had a lot of talent and champions but no one toppled Sting for the world title. Would they be considered a flop despite the main event matches and championships held within that stable?

Would the Angle alliance also be a "successful" stable? Angle was world champ and CHristian / Tomko were tag team champs when they came in. And I am sure that stable has been forgotten quicker than the Unamericans.

As for the Un-Americans...as stated, they served their purpose. They were decent at getting heat, decent as a tag team, and another chance for Test to be brought up to the main event. They had a couple of main event matches including a pinfall victory for Test over the Undertaker. They also helped complete Undertaker's face turn and set the gears in motion for an Angle face turn down the road.

Stables were running wild in the late 90's after the success of DX...you had the nation of domination, which was a good stable, but you also had Los Boricuras and the DoA...Los Boricuras had Savio Vega, and DoA had Crush and was a biker gang...thats all I can really remember...how sweet would it have been having Undertaker leading the second group there?

The NoD was an excellent stable. Interestingly enough though, I don't think they had a single title reign within the stable.

The reason why most barely remember DoA and Los Boricuras is because there wasn't too much to remember. Perhaps the most note-worthly of all the angles for both those stables as DOA's eventual feud with LOD and the infamous angle where Hawk jumped off the Titantron. And that is an angle we'd all like to forget...

Don't quote me... but I believe that D'lo Brown was the european champ while in NOD...

Los Boriquas, DOA and NOD was an absolutely horrible feud... however I loved the Boriquas... and I wish they had of made it bigger because I think I may be the only Savio Vega fan in the world...whatever happened to that guy?

To me, the all-time greatest forgotten stable is the Dangerous Alliance. The night they attacked Ricky Steamboat and broke his nose is a night that sticks out in my mind as one of the biggest reasons I absolutely hated them. And that's what made the DA great. There was no tweener man. You either loved them or hated them. Paul E. Dangerously generated enough emotion on his own, but when you threw Rick Rude and Stunning Steve Austin into the mix, it was just an emotional overload either way (love/hate). I think the biggest reason the DA failed was the lack of real main-event talent. Rick Rude could never get past the US Title and Steve Austin, if I remember correctly, could never get past the TV title. Zbysko was already past his prime. I don't remember him winning many matches when he was with the DA. Beautiful Bobby, well, what is there to say about Beautiful Bobby?........Exactly. And Arn Anderson, it's hard for me to see him in a stable that is not the Horsemen. They were a great team, to me deserving of a place in history, but they just did not have the talent to make it 100% work.

I don't know anything about the Un-Americans as I wasn't watching WWE at the time but one stable that was forgotten and I absolutely hated was the Right to Censor. In retrospect I love the idea which was a ripoff I think of the network dude on ECW on TNN. Back then when I was young I never forgave Stevie Richards for cleaning up the act of Godfather and Val Venis; I cried.

Stables are at their best when they cause destruction because of their strength in numbers. I don't remember Las Borricuas or DOA beating everyone up like the Booker T's Smackdown! Kingdom or the Corporate Ministry. If a stable does not beat up or have their members interfere in matches, why fear or hate them?

There have been a lot of incredible stables over the years. Such as NWO, Evolution, DX, Nation of Domination.

Some that have been forgotten over the years Right to Censor.

But one that always stood out to me was the radicals. Guerrero, Beniot, Malenko, and Saturn. Loads of wrestling talent.

And the dudleys. remember it wasnt just bubbs d von and spike, there was sign guy dudley, big dick dudley and loads more.

what about the corporate alliance. how many poeple were in that grouo the rock kane and many more.

To me the Corporate alliance was the most unnecessary group ever...especially after recruiting the ministry ad the brood..No one will ever forget the Radicals...other than NWO I'd say the Radicals made the second biggest impact made by a stable in pro wrestling history

I watched Savio Vega almost win KoR in 95 I do believe...I remember Razor Ramon in his corner and he beat IRS pre-PPV and then proceed to beat some other people (Road Dogg is the only one I can remember off the top of my head). I was a fan of his, and his match with Stone Cold at Wrestlemania I do believe was okay (it was the PPV with Goldust and Roddy Piper and the OJ Bronco)

none of these stables mentioned above are even close to forgotten, and with the dangerous alliance and perhaps one or two more (i doubt it, but i don't feel like reading it again) as the exceptions, none are old school stables.

so to bring this at last to the subject, i bring you a stable not only old school and mostly forgotten, but also great and important.

The Rat Pack. in midsouth wrestling this stable centered around the trio of ted dibiase, matt bourne, and jim duggan.

noone can argue that these names did not go on to be major forces in the wrestling world.

they had notable feuds with so many names, including paul orndorf, junkyard dog, terry taylor, and mr olympia. except mr olympia, these guys were in the first high-profile feuds of their careers.

these days, most folks don't even know they ever existed.

for my money, they were the inspiration for the four horsemen.

the union haha carried around construction stuff. but i agree with the view on the ministry, they probably went further than any stable as far as the sick/twisted stuff. as far as hanging the Big Boss Man from the hell in a cell, that was messed up.. and also, for the NoD comment about titles, the Rock held the IC title while in there i do believe, but what about the groups like the New Brood? that was the re-birth of the hardyz with Gangrel. which started their rise to fame. or even New Breed (ECW) or PMS? (that one was easy to forget thank god..) The Mexicools didnt last long, and were soon forgotten, but the biggest one that had top guys, and no one ever seems to mention is The McMahon Alliance (Power Trip) which was HHH, Austin, and Mcmahon. short lived yes, but still some big names there

I liked RTC. They got huge heat and everyone wanted to see them get a good pasting in the ring so they served their purpose. Also the UnAmericans were good, they weren't main eventers but they were good guys to have wrestle in the main event. You knew they would never win in that scenario but it sent the fans home happy.

I think that the union could have been better but it only existed for about 1 PPV match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back